• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Drago

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";79326029]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513651&highlight=[/QUOTE]
zEezhkA.jpg

Have fun!

upandaway

Started just now, I wanna read as little about it as possible so I figured I'll just ask it here, sorry it was probably asked before.

I did the first room, missed the archive, and then immediately replayed it and got the gold. Now I'm pretty confused.
I'm assuming there's multiple endings, and I'm assuming they have to do with the what archives I have when? Is there any good order? How should I do this?

Is it like 999 where you play through the game once for each ending? Because it seems like you can just skip around everywhere freely.

Lusankya

Yes, you can skip around freely (but of course only do it when your current path ends or is locked) and you can do it in any order you like. You won't be able to access all paths before clearing some others anyway.

upandaway

Wait, there's absolutely no, like, "you should do this before that" or something, even a little bit? That's pretty surprising.

I ask because I remember reading something like doing rooms left to right (or was it right to left, something like that) a long time ago. Maybe I just misunderstood.

(In other news: clover and alice? what)

upandaway

You mean in terms of telling me which choices I should do first? Kinda scared to google one, but I'm not too opposed to the idea, since the choices are pretty generic.. any suggestions?

upandaway

Hmm... I'll try just rolling by for now until I get a better idea of things, thanks guys.
One thing though, the page says to turn on hard mode and re-get all the secrets after everything, but I was planning on doing everything straight up on hard. Well whatever, I'll keep it on hard for now, no clue what any of this means.

DaBoss

Hmm... I'll try just rolling by for now until I get a better idea of things, thanks guys.
One thing though, the page says to turn on hard mode and re-get all the secrets after everything, but I was planning on doing everything straight up on hard. Well whatever, I'll keep it on hard for now, no clue what any of this means.

The absolute final ending is unlocked if you complete the puzzle sequences in Hard mode.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Just keep playing the paths as you like. This isn't some archaic shit like in 999 anymore, you can't do anything wrong.
Agreed, there is no need for a path guide since everything is marked, you can jump and there is no obscure choices like in 999.

Only if you want to fly past the game and spend the least time possible with the game you should use one.

upandaway

Ooooh, I get how the game works now. That's pretty smart.. except for the fact that
he just said that if someone doesn't vote, his vote is automatically ally. Which means that if everyone keep an eye on everyone and not go into the rooms, that's a surefire solution. At least from a first glance, it seems like he should have made the default vote "betray", right?
Still dunno if I wanna use a guide or not, I trust you guys that there's no reason to but at the same time, I can't think of any reason not to (what's there to experience by trying out choices in seemingly random order?).

Also, that page has way less than 24 endings, am I missing something?

DaBoss

Ooooh, I get how the game works now. That's pretty smart.. except for the fact that
he just said that if someone doesn't vote, his vote is automatically ally. Which means that if everyone keep an eye on everyone and not go into the rooms, that's a surefire solution. At least from a first glance, it seems like he should have made the default vote "betray", right?
Still dunno if I wanna use a guide or not, I trust you guys that there's no reason to but at the same time, I can't think of any reason not to (what's there to experience by trying out choices in seemingly random order?).

Also, that page has way less than 24 endings, am I missing something?

You'll understand why it shows less than 24 soon enough, just continue.

upandaway

Oooooh crap. Getting the hidden pantry password feels so good (reminder:
the day the man was abducted = christmas
). The puzzles are surprisingly way more satisfying than in 999.

I hope I'm not just dumb and these are supposed to be really easy, because I'm having just enough trouble

Oooooh crap. Getting the hidden pantry password feels so good (reminder:
the day the man was abducted = christmas
). The puzzles are surprisingly way more satisfying than in 999.

I hope I'm not just dumb and these are supposed to be really easy, because I'm having just enough trouble
Some are simple, but others are just waaaay too crazy or out-there sometimes. But yeah, very satisfying if you press on and solve without a guide.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished my first run of this. I got a shitty nonsensical ending which left me without desire of exploring the other scenarios. Convince otherwise, GAF.

DaBoss

Finally finished my first run of this. I got a shitty nonsensical ending which left me without desire of exploring the other scenarios. Convince otherwise, GAF.

It would help if you put in spoiler tags what this "shitty nonsensical" ending is. :p

Well you'd get your reason if you played other routes. One single "playthrough" isn't enough at all for this game, hell I honestly wouldn't even call a playthrough of this game getting anything less than getting all of the routes' endings.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

The game is really really structured around plaything through multiple times. Plus you can use that "map" screen to jump to any scene, so you can try out alternatives very easily.

Its not actually even fair to call the "endings" endings, since the game is not designed for you to stop there. Just trust us.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Everyone killed themselves with a scalpel for no reason
It's not "nonsensical", it's explained by other routes.

For what's worth, when I got that ending rather than dropping it, I got MORE interested:
don't you find it EXTREMELY odd that everyone would just commit suicide out of the blue? Sigma himself poses that very question and yet proceeds to do so himself. It really got my curiosity and theories racing.

Also, did you play 999?

upandaway

I almost spit my water just now. Did not expect
Sigma to comment about things changing between routes
, and so colloquially! Even though
time leaping was already mentioned once, which instantly explained tons of things
, that still caught me off guard. That's just scary when a game talks to me like that.

Regarding what's up so far, there's a very obvious understanding that's shaped up in my head quickly, but I don't know if it's a feint or if it really is like that or that it's true but there's more to it. Hmm.

Also screw locks. Hitting one is the worst feeling.

X05

No, is very expensive to get niche games here. So, Its the iOS version for me.
Shame, a great game and does make VLR more rewarding. Also explains why that ending didn't hook you up.

Shame, a great game and does make VLR more rewarding. Also explains why that ending didn't hook you up.

Yeah, VLR may technically be its own story, but it's still a 999 sequel and just isn't the same AT ALL if you haven't experienced the first game.

upandaway

Green password for the crew quarters... now that's some serious nonsense right there. Not cool.

edit: whoa, i just realized that
if all 9 people are infected, there would be no way to notice the brain slowdown symptom. i know it means nothing since quark visibly slowed down in one route, but still a funny thing to think about

Busaiku

if all 9 people are infected, there would be no way to notice the brain slowdown symptom. i know it means nothing since quark visibly slowed down in one route, but still a funny thing to think about

I love that part.

Green password for the crew quarters... now that's some serious nonsense right there. Not cool.

Huh.... That's weird.... >_>

upandaway

I guess I found something out from those reactions
(now that I think about it, they never said the slowdown was a constant thing)
, but oh well
Clover's ending made me super suspicious of that anyway
(but I will stay quiet from now on).

In other news my game just froze mid-puzzle (taking the 3DS' OS with it), pretty sure I lost 3-4 hours there. I thought the problem was just with saving? I was playing it normally :(
If it's gonna freeze up randomly on me now, well dang, that's not very nice.

Are you in the PEC room? That's what freezes the most. The saving is not the problem, the crashes can happen anyways (tip: don't back out of the puzzles in that room).

upandaway

It was in the Archives, PEC room went fine and I backed the hell out of puzzles there... Guess I'll just save before every puzzle room, but that really sucks.

Also the Archives is easily the worst puzzle in the game so far, so many things wrong with it!

edit: and it froze again literally as i clicked on the green screen aaaargh

Sorian

Banned
It was in the Archives, PEC room went fine and I backed the hell out of puzzles there... Guess I'll just save before every puzzle room, but that really sucks.

Also the Archives is easily the worst puzzle in the game so far, so many things wrong with it!

edit: and it froze again literally as i clicked on the green screen aaaargh

If you think the archives are bad then you will love the true ending puzzle room(s) :p

upandaway

c7mI9Qw.jpg

the game is constantly, continuously treating everything i "figure out" as common knowledge (shortly before dropping a real bomb). at least give me the satisfaction of a big reveal, dang it. and to think i dared to think i was onto something, boy i feel stupid

c7mI9Qw.jpg

the game is constantly, continuously treating everything i "figure out" as common knowledge (shortly before dropping a real bomb). at least give me the satisfaction of a big reveal, dang it. and to think i dared to think i was onto something, boy i feel stupid
Trust me, more of those real bombs are yet to come...

As for the "big reveal"... It's there, but I think ZE3 will be more explosive. This one is insane, but... You'll see. Hehehe

upandaway

I'm done, lemme just slap a tag on the whole thing

I was screaming hysterically on the inside for a while but I've calmed down now. All those twists. Anyway, lemme just say, um, I didn't really expect.. a non-ending. ZE3 is pretty much the second half of the whole thing.. so I can't say I'm satisfied at all with the story until we get that.
The final line with ? and Akane really made me think about Blick Winkel, haha. Dunno what's going on there, but like I said, I realize we stopped pretty much at the middle of a story so I guess whatever. I know I'm gonna need a good, long summary of VLR before I start any ZE3.
Somewhere during Akane's infodump I got completely lost with all the leaping everywhere and keeping track of consciouses :lol I got the gist of it so it's fine, but boy that got complicated fast. 999 was so much simpler in comparison!

By the way, the thing I pointed out before was true after all. They flat out say that the slowdown is continuous and unnoticeable if they're all infected, but Quark and Sigma both clearly experience it relative to the others. Plothole or did I miss something? Hmm, I'll hop into the spoiler thread later..

Aside from a couple terrible ones (mostly just Archives and Security...), the puzzles were really neat. Thankfully the only freezes I got were the twice I posted about.

CassSept

Conglaturation !!! You have completed a great game.

I'm done, lemme just slap a tag on the whole thing

By the way, the thing I pointed out before was true after all. They flat out say that the slowdown is continuous and unnoticeable if they're all infected, but Quark and Sigma both clearly experience it relative to the others. Plothole or did I miss something? Hmm, I'll hop into the spoiler thread later..

I'm a little iffy on the details but it might pertain to several factors. First of all, Quark is a kid so he might be experiencing the effects more. We know Radical 6 effects ramp up over time so this might also depend on the order they were injected with it. At last, I think effects of Radical 6 increased under stress/adrenaline rushes or whatever, I don't remember exactly how it was.

To be fair, the virus is a plot device, so I wouldn't focus too much on it.

In the meantime you can imagine how hilarious it must have been for Luna who was constantly aware of how ridiculous everyone sounds talking with such slowdown and walking/jumping around in a slow motion.

Jintor

In the meantime you can imagine how hilarious it must have been for Luna who was constantly aware of how ridiculous everyone sounds talking with such slowdown and walking/jumping around in a slow motion.

She probably just
slowed her OS tick. Probably didn't even go 30fps!

For upandaway

? is a blick winkel entity ( confirmed on the writter twitter )
As for what this will mean in ZE3 , we have no idea

Top Bottom