• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

5482C.png

Hopefully he'll take care of things quick, because I'm definitely curious to see what he has in store! :D
Hoho. Patience really is a virtue.

See what I did there?

I want this game already. Loved LOVED 999 (Thanks LTTP 999 thread!).
Me too... I finally pulled 999 out of my backlog and played it thanks to that thread, and it instantly grabbed a top five spot in my best games of the gen (handhelds) listing...

I liked it so much I've preordered both the 3DS and Vita versions of this one - though I'll admit after playing the demo I ordered a stylus for the Vita... Don't know which I'll play first (pro'ly the Vita - let my wife play through it on the 3DS)...

Unfortunately, I can't justify triple-dipping for the PSN version until the VitaGo is released in 2015...

That last LTTP for 999 got me to order it and wow, I loved it. It's been awhile since a game has grabbed me and made me want to finish it completely. It's funny how I was always aware of 999 but did not buy it since I thought I was done with DS games.( did play the flash demo though ) I suppose that is the power of Gaf and LTTPs! :)

Now I can go into VLR with some familiarity to story and certain characters. Can't wait.

Westraid

How much left do I have in 999? PLEASE DONT SPOIL ANYTHING FOR ME

I just finished the boiler room puzzle.. 10 hours in

Once you've finished the game at least once, you can play again, but with memories, which means you can skip through the text you have encountered before, and the auto-text automatically stops when you're supposed to pick an option.
The option(s) you haven't chosen before are bright coloured, and any new text cannot be skipped.
This way, it's not too time consuming, and I'd highly recommend going for all the endings. To the point where I'd say to keep playing even when Virtue's Last Reward arrives. This is a game you don't want to rush.

Are you guys going digital or retail? And which platform?
Retail. I work fulltime and the mail here is awful. I'm ordering it from a local gamestore where I'm a regular customer, so the moment he gets the game, I get a call.
Getting it for the 3DS. I don't have a Vita, and though I've considered getting one, I've decided to wait a bit. My 3DS is collecting enough dust on its own.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Due to technical difficulties, we will most likely have to postpone things until tomorrow morning, but we'll see~ >.<

Dantis

Finally preordered my import copy earlier. Not entirely convinced it was the best choice because it was £9 more and I'm restricted to Vita, but I guess we'll see.

Either way, I'm very excited to play the game.

Esura

Banned
Well, the game defaults to Hard, and then you can swap to easy when you get stuck. You can play it first on Easy, and again on Hard if you really want, but you'll be removing a bit of the challenge of the game.

Someone on GameFAQs had a brilliant idea: *Blocking it out for non-specific reasons*
Play on Hard until you get stuck, then save the game, finish the puzzle on Easy, then restart without saving and finish the puzzle on Hard. That way you can finish all the puzzles on Hard quickly, without needing to redo entire puzzes.

Hard + GameFAQs doesn't sound like a bad idea wither, though. :)

Ohhhh, that makes sense then. No point in doing Easy I guess.

Hope the puzzles aren't too long. Kind of my least favorite thing in 999.

EDIT: I spent like a half and hour trying to preorder this at Gamestop cause I forgot the name of the game and thus the clerk was searching for the wrong game. I called it Virtuous Lost Rescue. :(

Omikaru

Finally preordered my import copy earlier. Not entirely convinced it was the best choice because it was £9 more and I'm restricted to Vita, but I guess we'll see.

Either way, I'm very excited to play the game.

I'm hoping the English voices are worth the extra £9 I paid to get the US version. I kind of feel bad shafting RSG even though they've taken a gamble on bringing it out over here, but fuck 'em. No English voices, no sale.

Though if I love the game on Vita, I'll definitely want it on 3DS too. Might be a good opportunity to give them my money then.

Dantis

I'm hoping the English voices are worth the extra £9 I paid to get the US version. I kind of feel bad shafting RSG even though they've taken a gamble on bringing it out over here, but fuck 'em. No English voices, no sale.

Though if I love the game on Vita, I'll definitely want it on 3DS too. Might be a good opportunity to give them my money then.

Yep yep yep.

I think if it wasn't for the fact that a lot of the actors are actors I know and like in other games, and for the fact that I consider Arksys one of the better translators out there, it wouldn't have bothered me so much. I feel like I'd be missing out on something if I just played it in Japanese.

It does make me feel a bit mean though.

Toki767

More so me hinting toward how the game is without directly saying so due to review embargoes :eek:

It's so weird that games that have been out in Japan for months and just getting localized have embargoes in the first place. When does the embargo lift anyways? Monday?

I can't imagine the embargoes are in place to keep word of mouth from getting out, considering the JP release has been out for quite some time now.

I'll say what others can't.

VLR is fucking awesome. =)

Lusankya

I can't imagine the embargoes are in place to keep word of mouth from getting out, considering the JP release has been out for quite some time now.

So why is there an embargo in the first place? I am very sure the game will get great reviews, so early tests would only help sell the game.

I'm getting so paranoid about avoiding spoilers...Nearly had a heart attack 'cause I thought I read a major spoiler on Twitter. But then I realized they were talking about Mega Man (since there's a character named Sigma) XD

I spent like a half and hour trying to preorder this at Gamestop cause I forgot the name of the game and thus the clerk was searching for the wrong game. I called it Virtuous Lost Rescue. :(

Ahaha. close enough.

I'm getting so paranoid about avoiding spoilers...Nearly had a heart attack 'cause I thought I read a major spoiler on Twitter. But then I realized they were talking about Mega Man (since there's a character named Sigma) XD

"Sigma comes back from the dead like seven times and turns into a psychopathic robot."

Omikaru

So why is there an embargo in the first place? I am very sure the game will get great reviews, so early tests would only help sell the game.

In general, embargoes are there for a variety of reasons, especially in the internet age, none of which are particularly useful to gamers directly, but there are some knock-on benefits.

1) It stops the rush to review. If you have an embargo date, it stops certain sites hungry for "world first" reviews because of hits from playing 10 minutes of the game, approximating the rest of it, and then shitting something generic out that doesn't really tell you much.

2) It's a way of publishers to show favouritism to certain outlets, which is the exact opposite of what I said above, but allows them to skew early reviews to their favour by promising a certain publication a world exclusive (since when has a first review for a game in such circumstances ever been negative?). Even if the game doesn't have a world exclusive first review, it's good practice to get the press conditioned to embargos so that offer of being released from one early, especially on an overhyped game, is extra attractive.

3) It also helps stir up hype for the game. When you know there's a certain time that an embargo lifts, that allows PR to stir up hype for the game. Think about the "review threads" for all those AAA hyped games that appear on GAF; whilst of course they're born out of enthusiasm for the game in the first place, the more outlets that are reviewing a game in one go, the more gamers are going to be talking about (and as such getting hyped for) the game in one specific time. The deluge of information all at once is (when overwhelmingly positive) often enough to motivate people from "wait for a sale" to "I'm going to GameStop to pre-order this now!"

For VLR in particular? Who knows. I think 1 & 3 may play a role. All those reviews coming at once (especially if they're going to be positive reviews, which I suspect they are) is going to generate considerable buzz for the game in such a short time. Around review time, expect a few people to say, "Huh, I hadn't heard of this game until now, but my Vita/3DS is looking a little dusty..."

Chairhome

Anyone else get an email from Amazon saying their order is delayed while they find more supply? I guess they over booked the preorder bonus.hope I get mine...

Anyone else get an email from Amazon saying their order is delayed while they find more supply? I guess they over booked the preorder bonus.hope I get mine...

No I haven't... But this makes me scared. I'm gonna keep a close eye on my email to make sure no such email arrives. :/

GSR

Aw, crap. No watch for me.

Amazon said:
Hello,

We're contacting you about your recent order for "Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward," order #[redacted].

You have pre-ordered a standard edition of this title and are scheduled to receive the standard edition shortly after release date. A bonus edition of this game is available in very limited quantities. You may have been informed that you would receive the bonus edition but, unfortunately, this is not the case. We're very sorry for the inconvenience and disappointment this may have caused.

If you're interested in ordering the bonus edition, please check the product detail page regularly. Though the bonus edition still has very limited availability, we expect to receive more units soon. When we have more stock available, we'll post availability updates on the product detail page:

Nintendo 3DS: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009APQ9R4/?tag=neogaf0e-20
PSVITA: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009APQ9QU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What a bummer - I had it preordered since it was available. Hopefully there'll be another run of the watches at some point.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
What a bummer - I had it preordered since it was available.
Available as in the first preorder run that ended on the 17th or the second batch that was available for like 2 hours on the 28th? I was worried amazon would oversell these things :<

Edit - oh, or do you mean the preorders that were supposed to have the bonus offer retroactively applied to?

Mzo

Aw, crap. No watch for me.

What a bummer - I had it preordered since it was available. Hopefully there'll be another run of the watches at some point.
I just got the same email regarding my original pre-order, before the watches were announced. Good thing I was paranoid enough to order one again when they became available the second time.

Sounds like unless you ordered the bonus item version you might be SOL.

GSR

Available as in the first preorder run that ended on the 17th or the second batch that was available for like 2 hours on the 28th? I was worried amazon would oversell these things :<

Nah, I mean since VLR itself was up for preorder. End of February/start of March.

I just got the same email regarding my original pre-order, before the watches were announced. Good thing I was paranoid enough to order one again when they became available the second time.

Seems like, unfortunately.

Jmac71

This seems to be correct. I'm in the same boat, unfortunately though I wasn't too paranoid because I trusted amazon. Cancelling my day one preorder in the hopes more watch editions come available. Super disappointed.

- J - D -

I just got the email as well. No watch, apparently. preordered back in July, well before the watches were announced. It's so fucking lame, Amazon not retroactively applying the watch bonus first to those who preordered early before the bonus became a thing.

Well, I'm canceling my order and going digital.

Do you guys think its important I get the best ending in 990 before playing this? I'm working on the safe ending now but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to finish both that and the true ending by Tuesday.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just got the email about both my 3DS and Vita preorders. No bonuses despite having preordered both day 1.

I've never been this fucked over by Amazon before. Really pissed and disappointed. Didn't the Aksys rep assure us in the other thread that we'd be taken care of?

:(

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Yeah, sorry guys >.<

Unfortunately I can't directly comment on things. Amazon has asked us to direct all inquiries regarding the bonus to them directly.

Hopefully everyone who was supposed to get a watch will be able to get one in the future, but I apologize for the current inconvenience.

My lack of faith is rewarded. Ordered an additional copy when bonus was announced as a precaution, and my day 1 order will apparently get nothing.

I ordered the Vita version back in August, and the 3DS version the day the second batch of preorders went up with the watch. I just a got a email saying i will not get the watch for the 3DS version. So are you guys saying that i will not get a watch for my Vita order in August either? Akselziys even told me i would get it from the order in August..........

sfried

Did anybody else who preodered earlier this year via Amazon get that e-mail that they are not getting the bonus edition? And I preordered way back in March.

What the hell?
Yeah, sorry guys >.<

Unfortunately I can't directly comment on things. Amazon has asked us to direct all inquiries regarding the bonus to them directly.

Hopefully everyone who was supposed to get a watch will be able to get one in the future, but I apologize for the current inconvenience.
I hope it won't cost that much, or at least will be guaranteed one once it becomes available, because before you know it it will be sold out as well.

JeTmAn81

I didn't preorder until the bonus was announced, and have not gotten an e-mail telling me I'm not getting the bonus. There's no justice. Just us.

Top Bottom