• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

bender

What time is it?
See, in this case off-putting to you is more realistic/immersive for me.

Personal preference is really go to swing people on this game.

I'm not sure about more realistic, maybe I've been watching too much walking dead? I guess it comes down to what you expect from a zombie. :p

If you want hit five to kill a zombie, remove the skull on swing four instead of swing one. I'm done nitpicking now.

Why are you guys so obsessed with reviews? Does you really need your feelings validated on everything? And this isn't saying his review is wrong, but even after all the Doritos fueled shit we went through I don't see why people even give reviews more than a cursory glance. I guess this is more a recent breakthrough for me as I did the same thing years ago.

sonicmj1

Logic and reason = giving the slow paced survival zombie game to a guy who MAINLY reviews fighting games...

So logical.

He gave Dear Esther, a game with no combat where you walk slowly through environments with no enemies, an 8.0.

He reviews two kinds of games; fighting games and survival horror games. There's nothing wrong with him reviewing this kind of game.

I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that he tried to rush through it either, considering his review suggests that he played it in the most tedious and low-risk way possible.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's pretty disingenuous to the reviewer to go back and claim he is not qualified to review the game by picking and choosing games from his review history. Then after being called out you stand by and attempt to defend your point after being exposed.

KissVibes

Banned
It's pretty disingenuous to the reviewer to go back and claim he is not qualified to review the game by picking and choosing games from his review history.

You're fighting a losing battle. You cannot convince them to change their skewed viewpoint on this game.

Absinthe

You are just attempting to discredit him because you don't like what he said. What percentage of survival horror games does he need to review to make his review justified?

No. Like I said before, he could have given it a 9.5 and it may be just as much a wrong score in regards to reality (we will see tomorrow). My point is simply this, again, assign reviews to reviewers who spend a lot of time in that genre, not once in a while. This is how we will get more accurate review for games. Do it like IGN claims they do it.

Why ask an Android user about iOS, when you could just ask an iOS user? I don't see Maxwell as a slow paced survival game expert based on 2-3 other games he has reviewed in the genre when the majority of his time is spent with fighting games.

He was the wrong guy for the job based on the majority of past reviews.

As for the percentage, it should be the majority, not the minority. Compare this rule to other reviewers.

The reviewer of Perfect Dark Zero, left GameSpot over 6 years ago.

"I left GameSpot nearly five years ago to pursue my lifelong dream of getting into game development. I've worked on several games in that time but Bastion is the one that's far and away the most personal since our team was so small. It's also the first game I've worked on as writer and creative director. If you have a chance to try it, please let me know what you think."

He became the writer and creative director to Bastion. You can stop your conspiracy theories now.

Conspiracy theories? Are you serious?

Nevermind. I'am just saying that the Gamespot guideline is clear regard Nintendo.

I will not buy a single Ubi soft game in the present, in the future and in the past. I don't like the way how develop games (I'am speaking about their franchises ). So I don't have to justify my purchase. It's only a consideration about gamespot and the way they work.

MThanded

No. Like I said before, he could have given it a 9.5 and it may be just as much a wrong score in regards to reality (we will see tomorrow). My point is simply this, again, assign reviews to reviewers who spend a lot of time in that genre, not once in a while. This is how we will get more accurate review for games. Do it like IGN claims they do it.

Why ask an Android user about iOS, when you could just ask an iOS user? I don't see Maxwell as a slow paced survival game expert based on 2-3 other games he has reviewed in the genre when the majority of his time is spent with fighting games.

He was the wrong guy for the job based.

As for the percentage, it should be the majority, not the minority. Compare this rule to other reviewers.
Are you being serious? Can't tell if you are joking. The guy has reviewed other game similar and gave one of them an 8.0

This means luring enemies away one by one and clobbering them with the cricket bat.
And no one zombie, even the faster ones or the armored ones, poses an engaging threat individually. You just stand there, hitting and waiting.

most of your time spent fighting will be with the laborious cricket bat. Dispatching enemies this way is as repetitive as it is dull, and does not change throughout the entire campaign.
Everyone you meet is basically shouting at a very confused brick wall. This is not ideal for maintaining the unease and mystery of a horror story.

The Wii U gamepad functionality doesn't contribute much to the game.
The vast majority of your missions boil down to simple fetch quests. Go here. Collect this. Return it.
In the end, most of your time is spent lazily hitting zombies with cricket bats.
To compensate, there's the bare minimum of a story and a few simple puzzles. And so much cricket bat. ZombiU could have been an enjoyable action game, but instead it is a poor entry in the survival horror genre.

Ouch.

Called this. I'm not surprised at all. It's another over-hyped launch game, but this time we're seeing a review that's not fellating it for being a launch game. Every concern I had about the game was true. The game pad functionality offering little to no improvement to immersion, boring combat, poor story, repetitiveness, fetch quests. It was a good effort by Ubi for a launch game but fell short. I actually would've picked it up if it had online multi-player/co-op because the Gamespot review seemed to really enjoy the local version.

FPS alone does not adequately describe the genre of the game. I can handle playing an FPS, but I would be a terrible person to review this game.

If what people are saying is true, and it has the same constant uneasiness as Dark/Demon's Souls, I doubt I would enjoy it very much. There were moments of Demon's Souls I might have described as enjoyable, but as a whole it most certainly was not.

Edit: I'm coming into this discussion late. I'm not saying that the Gamespot review was unwarranted, as I haven't played the game myself. I'm just saying that there are definitely people that are not well suited to review the game. I doubt I could give an unbiased opinion after playing it as I absolutely detest that persistent feeling of dread.

The idea that what is probably the second or third most popular launch title for a new console should have to be reviewed by somebody predisposed to liking the game ahead of time is absolutely ridiculous. Unless he says something factually inadequate in the review as a result if this presumed ignorance to the genre, there's no argument here.

sonicmj1

Conspiracy theories? Are you serious?

Nevermind. I'am just saying that the Gamespot guideline is clear regard Nintendo.

I will not buy a single Ubi soft game in the present, in the future and in the past. I don't like the way how develop games (I'am speaking about their franchises ). So I don't have to justify my purchase. It's only a consideration about gamespot and the way they work.

Yeah, they always underrate Nintendo games.

Wait, what?

Bumhead

Banned
Conspiracy theories.

People are nuts.

Just keep the reviews within your own contexts. Dead Island's 3/10 didn't stop that game from being one of the best zombie games I've ever played.

iammeiam

If he had given the game a 9.5, would you actually have dug into his review history at all? Be honest. Because generally people don't do the legwork on positive reviews of games they're hyped for, only the reviews they want to discredit.

The gamespot guy didn't mention the controls being sluggish tho. But maybe that's why he died so much and had to rely on batting?
If the controls are bad, it's game breaking, especially in a harder game like this.

It's possible they were improved in the full game. I definitely understood his complaint about it taking too many melee hits to kill them. I wasn't expecting L4D2 one hit kill craziness but it made encounters so uninteresting.

Teknoman

So we've got 3 reviews so far. One great, one average, and one poor. I've seen one GAFer say the controls felt pretty clunky, but any one else want to chime in with recent impressions? I'm not expecting anything mind blowing, since the only truly great launch titles are usually first party efforts, but i'd like to think it will be a good first person survival game in a world where the majority of horror games are fast paced action types.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Man Perfect Dark Zero was an ugly piece of garbage even when it launched, how it got such high scores escapes me at the moment. Jesus it's like sticking broken glass pieces into my eyeballs.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Why are you guys so obsessed with reviews? Does you really need your feelings validated on everything? And this isn't saying his review is wrong, but even after all the Doritos fueled shit we went through I don't see why people even give reviews more than a cursory glance. I guess this is more a recent breakthrough for me as I did the same thing years ago.

I tend to agree on this, and I'd love to see more reviews without the score. This would "force" people to actually read the reviews and not just saying "AH! IT SCORED SEVEN!!LOOOOOOOSEEEEERRRR!!1111!!!" / "GRRRRR!!!JUST SEVEN!!!I HATE YOU, RANDOMSITE(tm) " without looking at what went right and what went wrong...according to the reviewer. Obviously, letting the right people reviewing games ( I mean, not what happened with Gamespot's Zombi U review, where a guy almost alwasy reviewing fighting games reviews an horror title) would be another good thing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Man Perfect Dark Zero was an ugly piece of garbage even when it launched, how it got such high scores escapes me at the moment. Jesus it's like sticking broken crystal pieces into my eyeballs.

Never underestimate the effect of fresh technology on game players.

PDZ had anti-art direction but it glowed with amazing new shaders and bump mapping and glossy shit everywhere.

It's like how Battle Arena Toshinden was hailed as the future of fighting games by several reviewers at PS1 launch. Because they just couldn't get over having textures on characters instead of flat shaded polygons and wow everything as three dee.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm not following you, why quoted that sentence?

Because sites like Gamestop and IGN seem to inflate review scores for launch games. They seem afraid to be negative or harsh. I just don't trust them to provide accurate review scores for any launch game. My opinion.

Absinthe

Are you being serious? Can't tell if you are joking. The guy has reviewed other game similar and gave one of them an 8.0

I know. A few out of the many.

Again.......The MAJORITY of his time is spent in the fighting game genre, and this does mean something in regards to his credibility in my opinion. Since you are so good at defending his right to have opinions. Feel free to defend mine as well.

Question for you -

What is/was your opinion of the Wii U/ZombiU prior to this thread?

Again.......The MAJORITY of his time is spent in the fighting game genre, and this does mean something in regards to his credibility in my opinion. Since you are so good at defending his right to have opinions. Feel free to defend mine as well.

Question for you -

what in the fuck are you talking about

Ridley327

So is it like Dead Island?

except on a different island

No, because there's at least an honest-to-god severe penalty to dying in this one with how your personal stats grow. Death in Dead Island was basically a minor bump in the road.

"Oh no, my rage meter!"

sonicmj1

Question for you -

What survival horror reviews would you have liked them to assign him to between Silent Hill Homecoming and now, which would prove that he is someone with experience in the genre?

MThanded

Because sites like Gamestop and IGN seem to inflate review scores for launch games. They seem afraid to be negative or harsh. I just don't trust them to provide accurate review scores for any launch game. My opinion.
So you are saying that a 4.5 is an inflated score?

Question for you -

I though ZombiU is/was going to be one of the most interesting launch titles. I haven't played the game yet though. Nothing about my opinion has changed because of the reviews. A long time ago I realized that reviews are just that reviews.

G-Fex

No, because there's at least an honest-to-god severe penalty to dying in this one with how your personal stats grow. Death in Dead Island was basically a minor bump in the road.

"Oh no, my rage meter!"

that's the thing that interests me is the roguelike stuff of dying once for good.

But I don't know if that's well implemented in this game.

Dead Island had cars and asshole main characters

Question for you -

zombi u was one of my most eagerly awaited games this year prior to mixed reviews.

Are you suggesting that reviewers only review one genre of game? We both may enjoy the game more than this reviewer, we both may not, but he is absolutely qualified to review it.

Absinthe

If he had given the game a 9.5, would you actually have dug into his review history at all? Be honest. Because generally people don't do the legwork on positive reviews of games they're hyped for, only the reviews they want to discredit.

I understand, but honestly, in this case, yes.

I don't trust most reviewers today, and when numbers appear to be all over the map from one source to the next, it makes me do a little more research on the sources. 92/7/4.5 warrant more research for this game.

So we've got 3 reviews so far. One great, one average, and one poor. I've seen one GAFer say the controls felt pretty clunky, but any one else want to chime in with recent impressions? I'm not expecting anything mind blowing, since the only truly great launch titles are usually first party efforts, but i'd like to think it will be a good first person survival game in a world where the majority of horror games are fast paced action types.

I'd say a 7 from edge is good not average

guek

Banned
*reads through last 10 pages* ...

aij9U.gif

Guys, if the review score bothers you that much or you believe it's unreliable, just wait a few more hours until more scores pop up. If it really is that untrustable, discard it already and be done with it.

Top Bottom