• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

NFreak

Just beat the game. Was stupid and listened to my friends who just told me to run for it even though I wanted to take it slow and steady like I had been playing the entire game.... screw that. Oh well, gonna try survival mode soon. Hopefully I can get through it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not liking the exploding zombies. Hope they're easy to spot.

They've a very distinct look that separates them from the others, and the game introduces them fairly obviously and without harming you. I'm surprised people are slipping up with them, unless the game is throwing a curve ball and spawning them at random (which it can do) at unexpected moments.

Like the (zombie type spoiler)
electro, teleporting zombie didn't spawn for me first in the kindergarten basement, but instead in the flooded ruins in the Tower of London while I was going through there a second time after losing my survivor.

Best to play this game during the night me thinks. Just you and your suvival kit at hand.
Anyone try this? Could add a lot to the game.

CassSept

Finally managed to grab the game, Jesus, polish WiiU launch was a disgrace.

Anyway, before I begin playing, is uPlay worth downloading? It's basically achievement system for Ubi games, right?

HylianTom

Banned
I watched two of earvcunanan's videos, and noticed that his character is much more vocal than the ones I've played thus far. Is this a sound issue, maybe?

I want to hear my character slowly going insane.. :(

They've a very distinct look that separates them from the others, and the game introduces them fairly obviously and without harming you. I'm surprised people are slipping up with them, unless the game is throwing a curve ball and spawning them at random (which it can do) at unexpected moments.

electro, teleporting zombie didn't spawn for me first in the kindergarten basement, but instead in the flooded ruins in the Tower of London while I was going through there a second time after losing my survivor.
I'm actually convinced that's not random because
I did the same thing my first playthrough, where I saw the teleporting blighter before its proper introduction, and at that exact point in the game. It is a really good location for that type of Blighter, so I am assuming it's intentional to some degree.

I have never seen a Baneling Zombie spawn on re-visits to an area, so it's possible that you can just memorize all of the locations that they appear and you can be fine.

I watched two of earvcunanan's videos, and noticed that his character is much more vocal than the ones I've played thus far. Is this a sound issue, maybe?

I want to hear my character slowly going insane.. :(
I think it depends on the survivor, I think the starter survivor in the intro always carries the insane voice for attacking.

I'm actually convinced that's not random because
I did the same thing my first playthrough, where I saw the teleporting blighter before its proper introduction, and at that exact point in the game. It is a really good location for that type of Blighter, so I am assuming it's intentional to some degree.

I have never seen a Baneling Zombie spawn on re-visits to an area, so it's possible that you can just memorize all of the locations that they appear and you can be fine.

I think it depends on the survivor, I think the starter survivor in the intro always carries the insane voice for attacking.

You mean that funny insane giggling when he decapitates some poor Zombie? Love that.

Fistwell

I'm surprised people are slipping up with them, unless the game is throwing a curve ball and spawning them at random (which it can do) at unexpected moments.
Had one waiting behind a (blind) corner in the flooded area below tower of London. Muscle memory kicked in before I realized what it was I was hitting with a bat (to the tune of "OOOOHHH NONNNNOOFUUUUUUNOOOOOO AAAAAAAAAAAH!!! *boom* ")

insane giggling when he decapitates some poor Zombie
Oh that's nice, I kinda want that. None of my guys have done that yet (and I have burned through quite a few).

Had one waiting behind a (blind) corner in the flooded area below tower of London. Muscle memory kicked in before I realized what it was I was hitting with a bat (to the tune of "OOOOHHH NONNNNOOFUUUUUUNOOOOOO AAAAAAAAAAAH!!! *boom* ")

Oh that's nice, I kinda want that. None of my guys have done that yet (and I have burned through quite a few).

Yeah, routine is the biggest killer in this game.

I actually had one survivor that started whimpering as soon as she readied the bat. Talk about sound designed to make you paranoid.

Finally managed to grab the game, Jesus, polish WiiU launch was a disgrace.

Anyway, before I begin playing, is uPlay worth downloading? It's basically achievement system for Ubi games, right?

You can download it later and the achievements get added. It unlocks stuff in ZombiU, like some minor decoration and a new Multiplayer mode.

majik13

the problem with them, is that it is not completely obvious that bating them, as far as I know, anywhere, makes them explode. Shooting the tank, sure. Batting their head, not so obvious.

also, the 3rd one got me down in the flooded ruins of the Tower, he just appeared running around a corner, a few seconds after I jumped down into the water, I only had like 2 secs to react, and I swung in fear. :(. I should have let him grab me and do the Shot of whatever it is. Also, my first electro zombie, was leaving the market for the first time pretty early on, I just ran, never seen one again.

Pineconn

Let me say, I didn't mind the a
rena
as much as some people did. It was at the very least a different change of pace, and I died just once (because I was pretty stupid). The only thing I didn't like about it is that it was obviously fluff, seeing as it invalidated the c
hurch/catacombs
Kind of a shame that there was no girl...

How do you unlock the presets for the cricket bat?

I was 5 hours in survivor mode and a freaking mine got me. lol Im starting over for the 3rd time. I will beat Survivor mode, i will!!!

HOLY SHIT!

Nursery again. Teacher boss again. Quick kill with a few shotgun rounds to the head.

I already knew the jump scare when you try to loot her. BUT I DIDN'T FUCKING KNOW THAT IT ALSO HAPPENS WHEN YOU TRY TO SCAN HER!!! FUCK!

Almost peed my pants. I think a little bit came out even. Made me want to punfh the fucking touchscreen too.

I really like it when the developers think of everything, except for fixing game breaking bugs.

EDIT: GOD FUCKING DAMMIT! I almost thought I fell victim to the nursery glitch yet again, but I was smart and left the door open. Still sucks that I lost my four hour survivor who racked up a whopping 8950 points. He will be sorely missed :'(

EDIT 2: Oh yeah, the nursery glitch is all the worse because the very first zombie you encounter after you come across that dreaded door is a fucking tank zombie who will kill you in one shot if you're stupid like me and don't recognise him as a tank zombie, therefore yanking the fuck outta him with you're trusty gutsy bat as long as he's lying motionless on the ground. BOOM You're dead. Should be called "Dead Souls - Zombie Edition".

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm coming in here with eyes part closed, hoping not to be spoiled as I haven't started playing yet.

I have to play at night after my wife has gone to bed because its too gory for her. So that means headphones. I can connect my headphones either to my receiver or my gamepad. Receiver would only get stereo though.

Which should I choose? Is the gamepad audio lower quality because its being streamed to the pad, or is it still good?

Pineconn

Yeah, I still can't believe they haven't released a patch yet. You have to think they know about the problems and glitches.

Ridley327

Just finished the game: 16 hours on the lock. Not a single glitch whatsoever.

I've had a couple of glitches happen, but nothing that really impeded my progress for anything longer than a couple of minutes. I got screwed out of just getting a random survivor put down and nabbing his gear, but that's about it.

All told, I'm surprised it isn't more janky, given what a mess AC3 sounds like it turned out to be, as well as AC3:L's rather numerous game-killing glitches (of which I was affected by).

olimpia84

lol, same thing happened to me. I lost a survivor in that area (thanks to one of those exploding zombies that caught me by surprise) and when I went back to retrieve my loot that zombie type appeared for the first time. Lightning him in that area with all the water was so hectic that I decided to run away since I wasn't sure you could kill him haha

Hey folks quick question.
I just picked this game up today and was playing with it.
I got to the part where you have to protect your base.
I died, like 6 times, trying to fight off the hordes.
Anyway, long story short, when you die, besides losing your ammo and health items, do you lose keycards as well?
I tried getting back into my base and it says keycard required. If I didnt recover my BOB from the previous death, you lose keycards and notebook info as well??
That blows if so.

Pineconn

Hey folks quick question.
I just picked this game up today and was playing with it.
I got to the part where you have to protect your base.
I died, like 6 times, trying to fight off the hordes.
Anyway, long story short, when you die, besides losing your ammo and health items, do you lose keycards as well?
I tried getting back into my base and it says keycard required. If I didnt recover my BOB from the previous death, you lose keycards and notebook info as well??
That blows if so.

No, you don't. You keep all important items, but you lose ammo, health items, and weapons [temporarily].

Uh oh. Are these widespread and obvious? Should I hold off starting to play this for a patch?
There's one glitch I've been whining quite a bit about, which is the nursery glitch.
A few hours into the game (~5-7h, depending how fast you get there) you come to a nursery. There's a door in there that only opens after a certain condition is met (you'll know it when you get there). If you die and you closed the door behind you, you might as well start a new game because you won't be able to open that door again for some reason.

What makes matters worse is that the first enemy you will encounter behind that door explodes if you hit it anywhere that's not his head, so if you're a careful fella like me and use you're cricket bat to take it out you will die instantly. So you're best bet there is to just shoot your first few enemies after that door with a gun. It's a bit of a waste of ammo, but better safe than sorry, right?

Also you can prevent the door glitch by simply not closing that specific door at all. It will stay open even after you die, though I don't know if that applies to saving and exiting the game as well.

Sorry for that slight location and enemy spoiler but I think it's better to know where it can happen since it's a stupid glitch that already cost me and many others quite a few hours of gameplay.

At least the game's really fun to play so I had less problems the second time around, but still, this is a problem that needs to be fixed by Ubisoft ASAP.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Ok, so I got up to the Tower of London and I think I fucked up.
I got the AK-47 for the first time and was shooting my way up to the top. Unfortunately, I got killed and a bunch of ravens caused a helicopter to crash. If I had survived, would things have copter not have crashed?

Ridley327

Ok, so I got up to the Tower of London and I think I fucked up.
I got the AK-47 for the first time and was shooting my way up to the top. Unfortunately, I got killed and a bunch of ravens caused a helicopter to crash. If I had survived, would things have copter not have crashed?

The chopper is always going to crash; rescue isn't going to be that easy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How about the audio still great quality through headphones on the gamepad? Or is it better through headphones from the TV?

So I finally beat it.

The arena fight was fun, although it gkitched out on me once, though I don't know how that happened.
Anyways, it was okay and not that hard. You had enough explodey things to manage tge first three waves and enough pistol ammo for the rest, so yeah. The rest of the game was pretty good too. I felt constantly followed by zombies which scared me shitless.
Also I managed to perfect the power of shiving zombies! It's so useful, you wouldn't believe.

So yeah, pretty good game, a way getter launch entry than Red Steel was for sure.

Now please, Ubisoft, patch these stupid bugs and glitches. And get started on a sequel that takes place in another European country, like Austria. Vienna would make a friggin' great location for a Zombie apocalypse.

How about the audio still great quality through headphones on the gamepad? Or is it better through headphones from the TV?

Audio quality's the same.

Gambit

Now please, Ubisoft, patch these stupid bugs and glitches. And get started on a sequel that takes place in another European country, like Austria. Vienna would make a friggin' great location for a Zombie apocalypse.

While I was hoping it would stay in London, your suggestion sounds great. Vienna would rock for a Zombie apocalypse.

Pikma

Banned
Still loving this game but today I found my second gripe, I died from a 2-2.5m fall, had 3/4 of life, ridiculous. My first one was the radar upgrade, it was more interesting when I had to activate it by myself.

While I was hoping it would stay in London, your suggestion sounds great. Vienna would rock for a Zombie apocalypse.

Have you finished the game yet? Because if you did, then
you would know that a sequel couldn't take place in London as the whole city's gonna get bombed at the end. Which also leads to a confusing standpoint regarding the Prepper and his next "victim"

So I've been tasked with tracking down
John Dee's Letters
but have also had the Prepper recommend I find his
old CO
, at the moment I can see one of the former in a certain area, should I go grab it before doing the latter? I'm thinking maybe I should do the latter because it sounds like I'll gain a rather important tool in the process and then go track down those
letters

Just beat it, and Jesus was I stressed for the last few hours. I was almost too the point of being uncomfortably edgy. Yeah, it earned a golden survival horror badge right there.

Amneisac

So I'm where you need to get the fuel from the petrol station and it isn't there. I can't advance without it. I've seen other people asking about this online but no solution. Any ideas?

Looks like from some more searching it is a game breaking bug. I have enjoyed the game to this point but I won't start over. This is completely unacceptable and it's a little surprising how easily people seem to be forgiving these game breaking bugs.

Let me guess, the bugs just add to the survival horror, right?

So I finally beat it.

The arena fight was fun, although it gkitched out on me once, though I don't know how that happened.
Anyways, it was okay and not that hard. You had enough explodey things to manage tge first three waves and enough pistol ammo for the rest, so yeah. The rest of the game was pretty good too. I felt constantly followed by zombies which scared me shitless.
Also I managed to perfect the power of shiving zombies! It's so useful, you wouldn't believe.

So yeah, pretty good game, a way getter launch entry than Red Steel was for sure.

Vienna? Don't see it really, but Ubisoft I'm available to do scouting and concept work if you decide to go to Vienna.

So I'm where you need to get the fuel from the petrol station and it isn't there. I can't advance without it. I've seen other people asking about this online but no solution. Any ideas?

Looks like from some more searching it is a game breaking bug. I have enjoyed the game to this point but I won't start over. This is completely unacceptable and it's a little surprising how easily people seem to be forgiving these game breaking bugs.

Let me guess, the bugs just add to the survival horror, right?

I haven't heard about this one. What exactly is going on? Spoiler tag if necessary.

Amneisac

After you
kill Viktam
and you're supposed to get the fuel from the petrol station right after getting the
hacking mod for the pad
. The fuel can just isn't there for some people and you can't progress.

I like the game but I'm struggling to motivate myself to play it most nights. It isn't exactly fun if you all get me. Can be quite stressful at times and you really have to pay attention. Good thing for a survival horror though.

Top Bottom