• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Ahhhh... I'm so pissed off!

So i'm getting along rather nicely with my second survivor. First play though. Been very methodical.

I get to
The Tower of London and I'm in this catacomb/water dungeon. Low on health, so I go to my backpack.
Can't access my backpack because I'm in 1 foot of fucking water.
Ok no problem, I'll just play slow and steady.... Oh fuck it's a bomby guy, go for the head, go for the head! Boom. Dead.
Survivor gone. Just like that.

Should be ok to get my shit back, but jeez.... I had her for like 5 hours! Don't wanna be this policeman...

Finally got to sink some time into this game last night and I'm really impressed. So many "oh fuck oh fuck" moments in this game I love it. The fact that I can feel lost at certain points is nice, along with the atmosphere and sound effects it makes for a nice package. I just thought it was weird how your flashlight doesn't cast shadows but the scanner does.

Ridley327

Finally beat it after about 17 hours.
Died just after getting past the gate that led to the upper levels of the Tower; London is effed in the A, and no vaccine for Raven Squad.

This game definitely destroyed my expectations. I kept telling myself "there's no way that a company that's turning all of their former hardcore games into retard-proof casual experiences could make a real-ass survival horror game," but they made an honest, goddamn, real-ass survival horror game. Sure, it could have been a bigger budget game, and that initial load time is never not shitty, but they not only nailed the foundations of the gameplay, but the game itself makes good on all of that promise. It's a winner for sure.

My vote for a sequel's location? Paris.

kinggroin

Banned
Damn. Some parts of Buckingham Palace (especially the stuff engulfed in flames), had my jaw dropping.

Amazing what was done on such a small budget

G.O.O.

I managed it :p It does suck though when you decide to conserve ammo but then get the timing wrong with a swing of the bat and die on a single zombie, especially after a good long run.
Also, I don't think I've been managing my weapons correctly. I maxed out the handgun but it might not be a good weapon to take out groups of zombies, and when they aren't numerous the bat is enough. Meanwhile, I have a more powerful weapon in my backpack but can't reach it on time when needed.

Died just after getting past the gate that led to the upper levels of the Tower; London is effed in the A, and no vaccine for Raven Squad.

This game definitely destroyed my expectations. I kept telling myself "there's no way that a company that's turning all of their former hardcore games into retard-proof casual experiences could make a real-ass survival horror game," but they made an honest, goddamn, real-ass survival horror game. Sure, it could have been a bigger budget game, and that initial load time is never not shitty, but they not only nailed the foundations of the gameplay, but the game itself makes good on all of that promise. It's a winner for sure.

Yep, me too. Started up a second play through, trying to decide if I'm too chicken for survival mode or not. What they pulled off with a limited amount of time and budget on launch hardware is commendable. Really, really want this game to pull down at least 2-3 million in sales so they can justify a reasonably budgeted sequel. Preferably closer to 5 million but I'm not holding my breath. Another one of these with the proper amount of TLC and no jank could be a game of the generation contender IMO.

Any of the older, dirtier Euro cities would be perfect for sequels. Paris would definitely be a good one, as would Edinburgh or another joint up in Scotland like that.

Also, I don't think I've been managing my weapons correctly. I maxed out the handgun but it might not be a good weapon to take out groups of zombies, and when they aren't numerous the bat is enough. Meanwhile, I have a more powerful weapon in my backpack but can't reach it on time when needed.

I used the handgun a bunch. It's super useful in tight situations where there are too many zombies for the bat. 2 head shots and you're done. Get 6 or so of them coming at you down a narrow corridor and you can use the headshot stagger to keep them out of arms reach. If you run up to them with the bat you're probably done for.

Astra

Just got to the nursery. This place is so effin' creepy, I love it! As much as I dont even want to move right now. The sounds in this place!

Finished, fun game, I don't understand the bad reviews to be honest. I think it was actually pretty good, no where near the sour its been dealt at some places. :/

Not usually into these types of things (at all), make me too tense but the underlining game was seemingly enough enjoyment to keep me going.

I was annoyed to lose my survivor to a stupid explosive zombie, a type that I had no idea even existed before that one :| down in the water area of the Tower of London (I think it was?), it was a real scary place and then BOOOM! :( I didn't know not to cricket bat those particular ones, heck even if I had known previously, that area is so crazy.

The arena had me confused for a bit but I managed. Nursery exit dash scared me. Had so many guns but really only used handgun and crossbow till I started machine gunning near the end.

All in all I'm glad a lot of people are ignoring the bad press and just playing it for themselves/enjoying it. It seems most of the people doing that actually find its a worthwhile game.

Genuine scary bits, true survival horror, great launch game.

AzaK

I like the game but I'm struggling to motivate myself to play it most nights. It isn't exactly fun if you all get me. Can be quite stressful at times and you really have to pay attention. Good thing for a survival horror though.

I totally understand. I have to force myself to turn it on. It's like sitting down to a great movie you've never seen that you know is going to depress you.

Does anyone know which website those pics you make of yourself as a Zombie go to?
Don't they go to SD card?

This game is so much fun. I completely underestimated the Zombies in the 1st horde attack on the safe house. I think I killed 4 survivors already LOL.

evangd007

Ah, but this is from Ubisoft Montpellier. I feel that Yves gives Ancel the latitude he deserves to have his studio make the games he wants the way he wants to. Hell, Yves is letting him make BGaE2 when there's really no good business reason to do so.

I was annoyed to lose my survivor to a stupid explosive zombie, a type that I had no idea even existed before that one :| down in the water area of the Tower of London (I think it was?), it was a real scary place and then BOOOM! :( I didn't know not to cricket bat those particular ones, heck even if I had known previously, that area is so crazy.

While the game was generally good about introducing new mechanics and enemies in ways that you could understand them before putting you in a tight situation involving them, the exception was
the explosive zombie, which was introduced in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it way: Saundra snipes one as you approach the Tower of London and it falls, headless, next to the first C4 debris you blow up. When the C4 goes off, the explosive zombie explodes. I missed that the first time around too.

I finally got to the part everyone hates,
the arena
, and I actually really liked it. However, this is ONLY because I strategecically read spoilers/tactics in this topic beforehand. Otherwise it would have been extremely frustrating.

Here's what I'd do if I ran the world:
*Allow the player to explore the arena at their leisure first, perhaps even before the knock-out sequence. I stuck to a corner like a baby due to being unfamiliar with the area - this is not a game that rewards exploration during enemy encounters

*Ramp up the difficulty, teach your player! Throwing 4 armored zombies to start with, with limited ammo, no cricket bat, and limited propane cans is a great way to set the player up for failure. How many panicked, only to waste all their ammo and die the first round? Too cheap.

Instead, start with normal zombies and increase the challenge as the player sees environmental clues

*Don't take away the cricket bat. If the percentage of people who died here because they ran out of pistol ammo during the first 3 rounds is even like 5% then that is way too many. Bad design.

Finally, some thoughts about some stuff very shortly after this section
The Prepper said I betrayed him? That seemed weird. I arrived at the safe house and didn't get a new objective. I was worried I broke the game somehow, but then I realized I still had letters to collect

Also, my BoB was empty, but all my junk was in the little crate. Is that normal, or is it because I died the first time?

I totally understand. I have to force myself to turn it on. It's like sitting down to a great movie you've never seen that you know is going to depress you.

Don't they go to SD card?

I'm pretty sure it said they'll be uploaded somewhere. I dunno, I was half asleep at the time.

EDIT: The manual says the pics can be uploaded to "a Ubisoft server, and shared with your friends".

:/

kunonabi

Why is everyone having so much trouble with the *****? I got through it on my first try. It was close but I loved the change of pace.

You all hate that bit? I hate to be that guy but I got there last night and did it first time. Ended up walking away with a huge amount of handgun ammo so it was ok with me.
Just lured the first groups to the explosive barrels and shot them, then for the later groups ran around finding and using mines and flares.

edit: oh good, I'm not the only that guy.

Fistwell

It underlines how sluggish the controls are. Which is fine for a survival game. But it wants to try to be an action game for a bit. And it completely sucks at being an action game. In addition, not any tension, you can die however many times you want and still get your stuff back.

To each their own I guess. I didn't like it.

You all hate that bit? I hate to be that guy but I got there last night and did it first time. Ended up walking away with a huge amount of handgun ammo so it was ok with me.
Just lured the first groups to the explosive barrels and shot them, then for the later groups ran around finding and using mines.

edit: oh good, I'm not the only that guy.

Sure, when everything goes right (which it did on my fourth try) then it's very easy. But, you make one tiny mistake and you're dead. The game has way too poor controls for something like this.

It underlines how sluggish the controls are. Which is fine for a survival game. But it wants to try to be an action game for a bit. And it completely sucks at being an action game. In addition, not any tension, you can die however many times you want and still get your stuff back.

Yup, exactly my thoughts. The controls are acceptable for most of the game, but at that part it's just way too sluggish for it to be any fun at all.

Sure, when everything goes right (which it did on my fourth try) then it's very easy. But, you make one tiny mistake and you're dead. The game has way too poor controls for something like this.

Fair enough. I did notice there wasn't much margin for error with the mines. If I'd have screwed up with just one of them things would have gone differently.

Personally I found the
safe house attack
more annoying. Died loads there.

Also, the dirty lens filter doesn't have anything to do in a game like this. Am I supposed to be a camera? I was under the impression that I'm controlling a human, but I guess it might be a robot. If there's a big twist at the end where everyone actually has camera lenses instead of eyes, then I'll accept the filter.

Play survival mode.

I dont find the controls sluggish at all. I have no problems getting head shots. It gets easier as you level your weapon skills.

G.O.O.

On the other hand, this part doesn't punish you like the rest of the game. It's rough, but pretty fair imo.

CrisKre

Yep, me too. Started up a second play through, trying to decide if I'm too chicken for survival mode or not. What they pulled off with a limited amount of time and budget on launch hardware is commendable. Really, really want this game to pull down at least 2-3 million in sales so they can justify a reasonably budgeted sequel. Preferably closer to 5 million but I'm not holding my breath. Another one of these with the proper amount of TLC and no jank could be a game of the generation contender IMO.

Any of the older, dirtier Euro cities would be perfect for sequels. Paris would definitely be a good one, as would Edinburgh or another joint up in Scotland like that.
I would love for the next one to be set in tokyo or Hong kong personally.

I had no idea I could die without penalty there so I was sweating it pretty hard.

At that point in the game, I don't consider dying to be much of a penalty anymore. I have ridiculous amount of items and weapons stashed away, and I've already died before, so I'll never get a decent score from here on anyway.

oatmeal

Banned
I loved 'that area'.

Thought it was really fucking scary and fucked up, but played into the survivors fucking with people for fun that could very possibly happen.

Who knows?

I did it first try so I'm sure that helped.

At that point in the game, I don't consider dying to be much of a penalty anymore. I have ridiculous amount of items and weapons stashed away, and I've already died before, so I'll never get a decent score from here on anyway.

I lost a load of weapons early on which I never bothered to recover so I'm still a bit wary of it. Have like 3 guns which ammo are pretty tight for outside of the pistol at the moment. Only thing I've got loads of is handgun ammo thanks to the bit we were talking about. Oh and enough flares to put on a firework display.

G.O.O.

Aaaaaaand finished !

Made it aboard the helicopter, yay. But apparently there's another ending ? Something that happens if you die during the last sequence ?

Also, not sure if I'm getting the "twist" they were talking about. Is it that the prepper was just one room away from the shelter all along ? Why didn't he come to see me so we could have a cup of tea ?

Ridley327

Aaaaaaand finished !

Made it aboard the helicopter, yay. But apparently there's another ending ? Something that happens if you die during the last sequence ?

Also, not sure if I'm getting the "twist" they were talking about. Is it that the prepper was just one room away from the shelter all along ? Why didn't he come to see me so we could have a cup of tea ?

Well, he did fell awfully betrayed by you with your attempt (successful or not) to get the Panacea into the hands of Raven Squad. He's definitely not all there, even if he does a good job of hiding it.

Zomba13

Was playing a lot earlier. Lost the survivor I survived with the longed (got around 4000+ points). Died because I rushed and got swarmed while removing a bar from a door to make a shortcut ;_;

Also managed to jump at my own shadow and get scared by the skill up noise (thought some music stopped and a bunch of zombies would eat me).

olimpia84

Finally reached
the arena today. Beat it on my 5th try (I think). The funny thing is that during the first four tries I died within the first and second wave of enemies which are supposedly the easiest ones.

G.O.O.

Well, he did fell awfully betrayed by you with your attempt (successful or not) to get the Panacea into the hands of Raven Squad. He's definitely not all there, even if he does a good job of hiding it.
Which brings another question : why was he helping us to begin with ? Seems like he had a lot of stuff that I could have used in his place (like a lot of gas). I'm torn between the fact that his missing leg makes him dependant on someone else to escape, his willingness to teach survivalism to other people and plain loneliness (after all, he's been disavowed by everyone).

But yeah, I feel bad for him :(

And I'd like a sequel in Paris aswell, but that's probably because I know the place :p

mujun

This game is pretty buggy, right?

I got shafted by the save system. The game kept telling me to get into the supermarket despite having already completed that area and no amount of backtracking would get the real mission objective to activate.

Snipes424

I got shafted by the save system. The game kept telling me to get into the supermarket despite having already completed that area and no amount of backtracking would get the real mission objective to activate.

I ran into two clipping problems the whole play through.

somedevil

I must be lucky because I haven't had any of these major bugs in the game yet and I'm like 3/4 done with the game.

Also, I bet the sequel with take place in Rome because one of the Queen's letters says that
the church covered up the virus outbreak during the great plague.

G.O.O.

OK, so I looked at the last cutscene on youtube... and I have no idea of what will give you an ending or another Oo

The guy makes it to the top of the tower but we don't see him being saved by the helicopter, it cuts directly to the planes and the view of the tower bridge on fire.

Weird.

Ridley327

OK, so I looked at the last cutscene on youtube... and I have no idea of what will give you an ending or another Oo

The guy makes it to the top of the tower but we don't see him being saved by the helicopter, it cuts directly to the planes and the view of the tower bridge on fire.

Weird.

It's apparently a timer thing.

Which brings another question : why was he helping us to begin with ? Seems like he had a lot of stuff that I could have used in his place (like a lot of gas). I'm torn between the fact that his missing leg makes him dependant on someone else to escape, his willingness to teach survivalism to other people and plain loneliness (after all, he's been disavowed by everyone).

But yeah, I feel bad for him :(

And I'd like a sequel in Paris aswell, but that's probably because I know the place :p

Ending spoilers follow.

He was using survivors to stock his hidden room. Considering how unstable he was when he was screaming at you to get out of his safe house, he was perfectly calm and collected when he walked out to collect what was in the box, and lure the next victim in.

I don't think his missing leg is supposed to make him any less capable of escaping, I thought it was just showing his injury from trying to pay the Queen a visit.

There was a nice bit in John Dee's prophecies about not trusting the dude with 'a thousand eyes' that tips you off that he might be a bit of a bastard.

kunonabi

I had one zombie get stuck in a wall. Everything else had been fine.

Dying loses some of its edge once player zombies start appearing. You can some good stuff of them and saved my ass when I lost everything. Of course, it also means you can run into a zombies when you least expect it. As it stands now I have all my gear except for my crossbow. I make it a point to keep a small arsenal for when I need to retrieve my stuff. It's worked out pretty well.

Top Bottom