• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Eusis

What exactly do skill levels do by the way? It might take the sting off dying if it turns out they don't actually do THAT much.

NateDrake

What exactly do skill levels do by the way? It might take the sting off dying if it turns out they don't actually do THAT much.

Think the power and other aspects of the gun increase. So instead of relying on weapon upgrades, you'll get a boost by using the weapon more frequent.

kunonabi

Does this happen after a specific point? How far in?

Not sure. I didn't see many, if at all, before I added some friends though.

Beat the game last night. The shit they pulled at the end almost soured me on the whole thing. There just wasn't any reason for it and they didn't make it worthwhile in any way. Still I love the game but I won't doing much outside of multiplayer since I have other launch games to get to.

So I finished the game, but
did it glitch on me? I climbed down a ladder and suddenly the game ended with a cutscene of Prepper cleaning out the safe box and finding a new survivor. So you can actually get to the chopper?

Amneisac

This game is pretty buggy, right?

I got shafted by the save system. The game kept telling me to get into the supermarket despite having already completed that area and no amount of backtracking would get the real mission objective to activate.

http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/383-ZombiU

Yes, it has plenty of bugs, several of which will cause you to have to delete your game and restart. For what it's worth I managed to go 9 hours without encountering one, but then the one that got me was severe enough that I can't complete the game.

So I tried Survival Mode yesterday thinking that I knew where my choke points were and that I could breeze through the rest.
Got killed from behind in the Supermarket LOL.

I guess I can't take anything for granted.

I'm surprised at myself that I made it through the
arena
on my first try. Was cool to get basically all the weapons I could ever need or want to finish the game. Now I'm having to leave stuff behind because my bag is so full of weapons, ammo, and healthpacks. Now on to find the letters I've missed.

- J - D -

I got caught in level geometry last night. I make a habit of closing doors behind me, and usually I hit the close button the moment I pass through and the prompt becomes available. This leads to times where I sometimes clip through the closing door, but I always get through it. This time though, I got stuck in place. lol

My fault?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
got killed at the
apartemts
fuck those small corridors. I'm not very good at fighting more than one zomb at a time. if you're my friend enjoy my loot. theres not much but there's 180 in turrent ammo. done for today.

I finished the game and I enjoyed most of it even if it has its obvious flaws, but I can't say that I enjoyed it enough to play it more than once.

At the end I was kind of bored of it because of how easy it gets. They hand out medkits like candy, and you'll have plenty of weapons halfway through the game. Also, the weapon upgrades should have been more important. As it is now you can just shove them into any weapon cause you'll get new ones right away.

The biggest disappointment for me has to be everything that involves the sound. I don't have a receiver with HDMI inputs, so I had to play with stereo, which should be fine, but it really isn't. They've completely botched the stereo sound mix, and that's a damn shame.

Also, making any noise rarely mattered in the game. You should be able to attract the zombies' attention by hitting things, but they don't care. They rarely care about gunfire either, and that really sucks. I never really felt like I was in any danger when there was more than one zombie in a room because of this. It's way too easy to attract them one at a time.

Still, at its best moments it is really intense and nerve-wracking. The
nursery
was especially awesome. Sadly, that was the high point for me, and I didn't really care much for anything after it.

I'd really like to see a sequel with all the jank ironed out, some better gameplay design, and fleshed out online multiplayer where you can play 2-4 people against the king of zombies. It has its moments of brilliance, but sadly it doesn't quite reach its potential, but that's to be expected from a launch game.

brainpann

I have only played a couple of hours of ZombiU so far but I am having a blast. One thing I am confused about are the gun upgrades. It was my understanding that any upgrades required would be removed after a death unless you retrieve your old characters gear, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Can't wait until I have a bit more time to sink into this game...

Edit
I should clarify that it seems any new character you start with will keep the gun upgrades but not start with any additional weapons(other than the bat and handgun).

I have only played a couple of hours of ZombiU so far but I am having a blast. One thing I am confused about are the gun upgrades. It was my understanding that any upgrades required would be removed after a death unless you retrieve your old characters gear, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Can't wait until I have a bit more time to sink into this game...

Edit
I should clarify that it seems any new character you start with will keep the gun upgrades but not start with any additional weapons(other than the bat and handgun).

Upgrades are kept between characters no matter what.

holy shit, this was intense and i should have died.

threw a flare to see how many zombies were there and 3 popped up, then as im back peddling 2 and
spitting zombie
show up and its 6 vs 1 lol

this was in
the tower of london but what the fuck at those crows destroying the chopper 0_o, im gonna say something is gonna connect with birds

hmmmm curious, how far am i into the game?

Regarding the
exploding zombies

The first time I saw one, I just thought it was extremely nonsensical, even for a zombie game. Still fun, still scary, but I just had to wonder how the hell they even came to be. Then when the
arena
scene happens and they introduced one, I was left wondering were
the ones that nabbed you
the ones who
tied bombs
to all of them and set them loose?

This game is starting to get to me. Actually found myself really dreading moving forward at one point, had to spend a little time to collect myself and plan for what seemed was ahead.

Later I got startled by a zombie, instinctively meleed then noticed a green tank on their back mid-swing...whoops.

This game is starting to get to me. Actually found myself really dreading moving forward at one point, had to spend a little time to collect myself and plan for what seemed was ahead.

Later I got startled by a zombie, instinctively meleed then noticed a green tank on their back mid-swing...whoops.

It's amazing how that works isn't it. You see it there, you know you should push them instead of swing, and you actually think about it for a bit...then you say fuck it and swing anyway lol

I did it a few times myself. Learning the hard way I guess.

mujun

Man, I like this game but it sure as hell makes it hard sometimes. It's really cheap with its monster closets and attack triggers.

You can clear out a hundred metres of hallways in every direction then suddenly have 6+ zombies bumrush you when you are doing something.

I don't know how trial and error gameplay like that is a good combination in a hardcore survival game. Sucks the enjoyment out of it to a degree because I know I'm pretty much guaranteed to get shafted at regular intervals throughout the game.

So I'm posting here to vent some frustration about how hard I just got screwed. I'll start with this: I absolutely LOVE this game. It is easily my GOTY. Now to get to the screwing:

I've been attempting to make it through Survival mode for a while now, and it's been tough. I've died to silly mistakes, like clubbing a bomb zombie in a panic, things like that. But I've started over realizing that it's not meant to be easy. So this play through I just finished, I meticulously made my way through most of the game, surviving everything the game threw at me, including
the dreaded nursery
. I had almost every gun upgraded, was well stocked, etc etc. So After making it all the way to
St. George's Church, and the arena, I got in, plan set in my head, and ready to win. First round, three SWAT Zombies. Lured to a propane tank, Bam, blew them all up. Awesome.

Round two, and this is where it gets good. SWAT zombies come out, with Bomb Zombie beside them, I run away to group them together near the car. I put plenty of distance between us, I turn, take aim at the bomber, and shoot.

You know how there's very little in the game affected by physics? Only things like barrels and the propane tanks? Can you see where this is going? I couldn't believe it myself.
Bomb zombie blows up, taking the three SWAT zombies with it. But what to my wondering eyes should appear? But a propane tank flying directly at me, tossed by the blast. And fizzing because of it. I shit you not, it blew up IN MY FACE, and killed me.
I'm so frustrated it's not even funny. Fuck you, physics and probability. I couldn't replicate that kind of cosmic bullshit if I tried.

Jarsonot

I died a lot today. Three times, two felt slightly cheap. I'm still really liking this game, though. Wanna get through it so I can highlight the spoilers and get in on the discussion more, but I'm kinda digging just slow-playing this one with the wife, and playing other games when she's not around.

Chairhome

I died trying to get away from a zombie that was about to kill me... instead I fell to my death. Interestingly enough, if you die this way, you can loot your corpse without worrying about it being a zombie. it will just be dead. At least for me it was.

I was doing the quest "Dee's Letters" (trying to do some of it before I actually needed to, apparently), and I got stuck in the Warehouse.
I know you're supposed to line up the raven and use the scanner, but my code actually looked illegible. I saw an 8 (looked more like a backwards 3, a 2 that looked more like a Z... then a swoosh going up from bottom left to upper right and maybe a 0? I hope the code resets when I try again. After 20 minutes of frustration, I quit.

I died trying to get away from a zombie that was about to kill me... instead I fell to my death. Interestingly enough, if you die this way, you can loot your corpse without worrying about it being a zombie. it will just be dead. At least for me it was.

I was doing the quest "Dee's Letters" (trying to do some of it before I actually needed to, apparently), and I got stuck in the Warehouse.
I know you're supposed to line up the raven and use the scanner, but my code actually looked illegible. I saw an 8 (looked more like a backwards 3, a 2 that looked more like a Z... then a swoosh going up from bottom left to upper right and maybe a 0? I hope the code resets when I try again. After 20 minutes of frustration, I quit.

As a friendly heads up, you can't do anything with those codes until later on when the Prepper Pad can translate Enochian. Those symbols are Enochian letters, not numbers. Just keep going, and you'll get the option!

hunnies28

Guys I need your help.
After the arena. I got back to the safe house and as far as I know, nothing's been triggered. I have no objective. Where am I supposed to go next?

hunnies28

Thanks guys! I was aware of this but I thought it was going to be given as an objective. As in a hud message telling me to find them. Again thanks.

oatmeal

Banned
Thanks guys! I was aware of this but I thought it was going to be given as an objective. As in a hud message telling me to find them. Again thanks.

YEah I had the same problem. I had to find the IGN walkthrgouh (it was the only one online at the time) and follow it...then realized and was able to go out and do it.

Chairhome

As a friendly heads up, you can't do anything with those codes until later on when the Prepper Pad can translate Enochian. Those symbols are Enochian letters, not numbers. Just keep going, and you'll get the option!

Thank you for saving me from another frustrating game session!

Malvingt2

Malvingt2

More about that guys.

Ubisoft wanted to be '1st core' game on Wii U with ZombiU, upset with reviews, pleased with sales

"We wanted to be the first to offer a core gaming experience with the Wii U Gamepad. You can call it experimental, you can call us crazy but that’s what we wanted to do." - Ubisoft's Guillaume Brunier

ZombiU is certainly a core experience...one that seems to be a bit too much for some reviewers out there. Mr. Brunier commented on the early reviews for ZombiU, which didn't quite sit well with the team.

We were really disappointed with the early US reviews. We are aware of the strengths and weaknesses of the experience we created but we did not expect so harsh a feedback. However as more and more journalists and gamers played the game, these opinions proved to be a minority. So right now we’re rather pleased with the overall reception of the game.

As more customers pick up the Wii U and try out ZombiU for themselves, things seem to be going well. Mr. Brunier didn't talk specific sales, but did say that Ubisoft is pleased with how things are going, with ZombiU being "among the best selling launch titles on Wii U".

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...bout_beginnings_reactions_and_survival_horror

MDX

More about that guys.

pleased with sales

This is what you get when you make an effort to put out a new IP on a new console.
Even Red Steel cleared a million.

Im even wondering if new exclusive IPs sell better, as a whole, than AAA games from the current gen releasing in the same time frame. Because at the moment, it sounds like the new IP- ZombiU is selling better than the established AAA Assassins Creed 3.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the game. Fantastic proof of concept. Bring on ZombiU 2.

Ps. stoked that after some early deaths I ended up scoring 11380 with my final survivor to place 381 on the leaderboards (first on my friend's list).

Bumhead

Banned
Finished the game as well last night.

Really, really liked the ending. I have a really low tolerance to game endings that feel like a rushed excuse to just throw impossible amounts of enemies at you or cheap and out of character boss fights, but ZombiU's ending felt logical and well thought out. The escape from Buckingham Palace was damn tense as well. I really did fumble my way out of there. But the whole thing felt pretty reasonable and not too much of a leap of faith from what I'd expect the end of a zombie apocolypse to look and sound like I suppose.

I also really like how the ending seems to be down to interpretation. It was quite an understated and simple ending but one that could be read and perceived in any number of ways, which seems to be happening by some of the other end game impressions I've read on here. My initial reaction was that I felt sorry for the Prepper. I genuinely felt like I let him down at the end there, and that he was relying on me for his own escape. Although the idea that someone pitched earlier that he was luring people in for his own purposes is equally as interesting and likely. I intend on playing the game again so I'll see if my reaction changes.

I got the bad ending for dieing during the final escape. Died in a really clumsy way, which was doubly frustrating as my survivor at that point was my second longest in the whole game, so it really felt like "their" story at that point, and the completley final nature of their death at that point really resonated with me.

Fantastic game. Ticked just about every box for me. I also thought the game was really interesting because for all people mock the oversaturation of the Zombie genre, ZombiU showed me things can still feel really fresh and interesting when they're handled in the right way. ZombiU still managed to feel unique to me purely because Zombie games this intense and well thought out in design, focus and horror are still so rare.

I'm clamouring for a sequel. I hope the game receives the necessary increase in budget to clean up some of the jank and increase the scope of the game, maybe larger areas and whatever, but I hope the spirit and soul of the game is retained and that a bigger budget doesn't mean a saturation of what made ZombiU so good. A different City, maybe in Europe, would be really interesting too, although I still think there's plenty of potential scope left in London if that's what they want to persue. I thought London was an integral and very deliberate part of the atmosphere of the game, so I hope any decision to take it elsewhere is considered carefully.

Great job, Ubisoft.

Top Bottom