• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Mistle

Just got the "point of no return" warning. Ah man, I don't want it to end yet! Went and saved and I'll finish it later tonight.

Is there anything I should keep an eye out from now on as to not screw up? Glitches, or just bad decisions? I hear there's 3 different endings or something. Is it pretty easy to not get the good ending?

Just got the "point of no return" warning. Ah man, I don't want it to end yet! Went and saved and I'll finish it later tonight.

Is there anything I should keep an eye out from now on as to not screw up? Glitches, or just bad decisions? I hear there's 3 different endings or something. Is it pretty easy to not get the good ending?

Ummm, one thing is that the game does go on for quite a bit longer after that. I thought it was going to be like a final battle type of thing with such a strong message, but it there is still a bit more to play.

ksamedi

I can't believe how bad I am at this, I can't survive for more than 10 minutes

The trick is to not go too fast and letting zombies surround you. Just observe your surroundings and take those zombies out one by one. If you face 2 or more zombies, use a shotgun or try to use push (R). Also don't hesitate to use your guns instead of the bat. Ammo is scarce but not that scarce that you should only use your guns in overwhelming situations. Flares are plenty and use those often.

G-Fex

The trick is to not go too fast and letting zombies surround you. Just observe your surroundings and take those zombies out one by one. If you face 2 or more zombies, use a shotgun or try to use push (R). Also don't hesitate to use your guns instead of the bat. Ammo is scarce but not that scarce that you should only use your guns in overwhelming situations. Flares are plenty and use those often.

How about when you restart with a new character and he says that the zombies are coming, are you supposed to set up something outside or just fight off the zombies? Cause then as a new character I have no guns.

Mistle

Ummm, one thing is that the game does go on for quite a bit longer after that. I thought it was going to be like a final battle type of thing with such a strong message, but it there is still a bit more to play.
Yeah, I'm starting to realise this. Went beyond the point of no return, yet it seems like I can still return... wherever. Not really sure what the message was for then.

Mistle

Sorry for DP.

So I just finished the game..

First I see the prepper go back to his monitors and such and credits roll and I'm very disappointed.. So the prepper just used survivors to stock up the bunker? Is there more to it than that? But then luckily it wasn't the actual end. I climb Tower of London and the helicopter is right there ready to grab me, but I think a Zombi got to me just metres away... The ending I saw was just the helicopter flying off.. Nothing else.

If I'd manage to get a few steps closer to the helicopter would I have gotten a "good" end? Apparently there are 3 ending. What are they and how are they triggered?

I really loved everything leading up to the end, the whole
escape
was so intense. But yeah... Now the game is over though and I'm kind of just confused more than anything :/ lol

But overall I loved the game. Maybe I'll appreciate the ending more once I read up on it and watch the alternate endings on YouTube or something (seeing as the game won't let me reattempt.. lol). Thankfully I avoided all game-breaking glitches however.

Nuklear

Banned
I just finished the game tonight and I loved it. The controls I thought were spot on for this type of game and I usually loathe controlling a FPS type game with sticks.

I didn't find it too hard though I did go through 26 survivors. ><

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Okay, something is puzzling me...

I finished the game yesterday and noticed that I either had a different experience than others OR I tried things differently.

I've generally been told that once you get the
letters of Dee
and drop them off with the Doctor, you have to go travel between the Safe House and Buckingham manually, without shortcuts.

However, the shortcuts remained fully active for me.

The shortcuts only shut off for me after I
killed Zombie doc, downloaded the Panacea, and started the escape sequence
. However, once I did, I realized that the shortcut manholes weren't locked off -- they just had to be reenabled. Everyone one I could reach still worked, and I could still do shortcut traveling between each of the points. Granted, it was less helpful due to the fact that
Victoria Memorial?
had a barred door I couldn't get through, but it made it easier to travel back and forth between the safe house and gather supplies as I battled.

During the final, FINAL escape sequence (cough), I found things far easier than folks had been hinting at... until I run -under- the pier (by mistake) and smacked a zombie carrying a gas tank.

A bit annoyed that I died.

eXistor

I finished it a few days ago. Loved it. Not without its problems (magically spawning zombies can fuck right off), but it lays a great foundation for a sequel. I went through 6 survivors, not bad for a first playthrough I think and now I really want to give survivor mode a proper shot (tried it yesterday, but got killed fairly quickly thanks to said magic zombie).

I hope this inspires more studios to take a risk and realise survival horror is a great genre that's in desperate need of revival. I'm sick of games making everything easy on the player, like we're a bunch of fucking babies that can't think for themselves. Unfortunately Ubisoft kinda is king in those kind of games with Rayman Origins and ZombiU being exceptions. Still, kudos must go to them for releasing this game at all and making a big deal out of it.

jaaz

After waiting for nearly two months to play the Wii U (its a Christmas gift), I finally get to play this tomorrow. Well, maybe tomorrow night after I update the Wii U... Lol

I didn't even get past the pier. All my shit got lost in the palace getting the panacea, so I had no good weapons/equipment left... Really frustrating. Not playing through it again, so I guess I'll just youtube the ending.

Game up to the church 9/10

Ending including the arena 3/10

JaxJag

Banned
I'm surprised so many people had problems with the end. I didn't die once the final 4 hours or so.

I felt the game taught me how to play so well that I could pretty much handle any situation. I only died twice the final 9 or so hours.

Playing the arena for a second time, I have to say, it's actually a great segment. The problem the first time around was that it was such a brutal push out of the players comfort zone, that panic alone destroys your chances of getting through. Just keeping a cool head improves your chances considerably. It was an actually tense and dare I say fun experience this time.

In the end, the same tactics still apply:
Funnel zombies into traps, chose your fights, keep alert and your eyes open for ammo.

HeySeuss

Haven't played this yet but watched my son play it. The game seems to create a sense of tension and dread better than anything I've played recently.

I can tell this is a game of pretty deep strategy and I can't wait to start my own save file.

Haven't played this yet but watched my son play it. The game seems to create a sense of tension and dread better than anything I've played recently.

I can tell this is a game of pretty deep strategy and I can't wait to start my own save file.

It's a shame the game only allows one save file. If you create a new user you can override it in a sense.

Awesome game through and through.

evangd007

Playing the arena for a second time, I have to say, it's actually a great segment. The problem the first time around was that it was such a brutal push out of the players comfort zone, that panic alone destroys your chances of getting through. Just keeping a cool head improves your chances considerably. It was an actually tense and dare I say fun experience this time.

Funnel zombies into traps, chose your fights, keep alert and your eyes open for ammo.

Taking away the
prep pad is the arena doesn't help with the finding of ammo
. I never realized how reliant I was on it until that encounter.
Kind of makes me wish for an ultra survival mode where the prep pad doesn't label stuff in the game world.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
RIP Survivor 1, you treated me well. RIP Survivor 2, you lasted 2 minutes and got everything off of the first Survivor's zombie, but you also had a very weird sounding battle scream and I do not miss you.

Will my random teacher Survivor 3 BE THE ONE!?!

I'm liking this game a lot, though I'm not all that far. I found the controls to feel pretty weird at first, I cranked the sensitivity up a lot and now it feels fine. Can the cricket bat break? I haven't used my pistol at all yet.

Just started today did great with my 1st survivor then died a few times but it felt more trial and error and learning how to play. Only spent 1 hour playing seems like a game that grows on you the more u play. Right now I think it's pretty different and cool but not the consoles killer app or anything like that.

Is loading everything u collect into the safe house the smartest strategy?

RazorK1d

Just started today did great with my 1st survivor then died a few times but it felt more trial and error and learning how to play. Only spent 1 hour playing seems like a game that grows on you the more u play. Right now I think it's pretty different and cool but not the consoles killer app or anything like that.

Is loading everything u collect into the safe house the smartest strategy?

At first it is, if only for the limited amount of space you have in your backpack and the possible frequency of your deaths. But once you are more confident in your play, just use stuff as they come along. Carrying too much important stuff with could back fire if you die in a really bad spot.

Kaiser_Glider

Neo Member
Hey guys so I got this as Christmas gift for myself and I just started playing it today, I barely did anything substantial campaign wise but I think I can talk about it now. I pretty much just got past all the tutorial sections at the beginning though, but I really love the atmosphere it has going for it and the gameplay really does remind me of the original Resident Evil, that plus the whole backpack managing stuff really adds a new layer of tension I haven't experienced in a videogame in a long long time.

So yeah, I'm enjoying it very much so far! One question though, the Zombify photo you can take of yourself only appears in-game? I think I've read in this thread before that that was the case? Bummer if true, I was already planning to upload it to Facebook or something, haha, oh well. :p

I realized after I played with a friend, that this segment is basically the single-player equivalent of the multiplayer mode.

totowhoa

Banned
Well I got this for Xmas from my pops. Really enjoying the game so far but I'm just about an hour in (I stopped when I lost my first survivor -- man, was that moment tense!) ... Gotta say I'm really loving that it has an old school survivor horror feel to it. I have a quick question though:

I read several posts above on this page about "game-breaking glitches". Are these unavoidable, or are there known ways to either entirely avoid or minimize the chance of these glitches occurring?

RazorK1d

Well I got this for Xmas from my pops. Really enjoying the game so far but I'm just about an hour in (I stopped when I lost my first survivor -- man, was that moment tense!) ... Gotta say I'm really loving that it has an old school survivor horror feel to it. I have a quick question though:

I read several posts above on this page about "game-breaking glitches". Are these unavoidable, or are there known ways to either entirely avoid or minimize the chance of these glitches occurring?

I never experienced any across 14 survivors and 20hrs of play

kinggroin

Banned
Where the hell are all the Dee's Letters? I see where I have to go to get them (general area), but nothing showing on my scanner. These are huge ass levels just to wander around in.

Halp.

So yeah, I'm enjoying it very much so far! One question though, the Zombify photo you can take of yourself only appears in-game? I think I've read in this thread before that that was the case? Bummer if true, I was already planning to upload it to Facebook or something, haha, oh well. :p

Yes it is true, and it sucks.

RazorK1d

Where the hell are all the Dee's Letters? I see where I have to go to get them (general area), but nothing showing on my scanner. These are huge ass levels just to wander around in.

Halp.
The best hint I can give you is to compare the map shape and thumb pin to the actual street map you need to be at and you'll be able to find the general area they are in.
The majority of them are usually hidden behind places that need to be detonated with c4 or behind pass coded doors that need the scanner upgrade to read and break.

Oidisco

Just lost my 1st survivor at the Tower of London sequence. Pretty proud that I lasted that long, though I had some really close calls a few times.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Should I prioritize bullets over small healing items? I feel like I'm pretty much playing this like an RPG where I'm not using the gun because it may be useful at a time I'll never get to. I'm still early on, though.

tonypark

Should I prioritize bullets over small healing items? I feel like I'm pretty much playing this like an RPG where I'm not using the gun because it may be useful at a time I'll never get to. I'm still early on, though.

I did the same thing but unlike when I play rpgs I had nothing at the end. Used it all at a certain point.

Oidisco

I only ever really used small healing items when I had a little bit of health gone.I never carried them in my inventory, just used them as I found them. Bullets are much more important. And don't be afraid to use them. Taking a few pot shots from a distance can save you a world of trouble if their ends being more zombies than you realised.

Having said that, don't waste them either. There's a few points where they're almost a necessity.

kunonabi

yeah, dont be too afraid to use a bullet or two. i found enemies killed with a firearm to tend have ammo when you loot them. it wont be much but better than getting yourself killed in a tight spot.

Air

Banned
Died in the stupidest way earlier.

When I got the vaccine, I didn't hear what the doctor was saying and the zombie that was locked up ate me.

I enjoyed that guy. Oh well. The game isn't hard either, you just have to be patient and methodical.

Amneisac

Yes, there are several game-breaking glitches and many of them are unavoidable. For example, at one point in the game I needed an item to progress and the item simply wasn't there. This is a known issue and there have been several posts at Ubisoft's forums about it. It was about 9 hours in and I had no choice but to start over (which I didn't do because fuck that).

Careful, there may be spoilers here, but take a peek at the official forums: http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/383-ZombiU

No word from the devs whatsoever about fixing any of the bugs. It's complete bullshit. This is the first time I've regretted a digital purchase because I can't sell or trade the game in now. I usually keep all my games, but I want to at least recover SOMETHING from this one because it's fucking broken.

aparisi2274

So I just started the game tonight, and I am really liking it. I am playing on "Normal" but so far I havent had that many run ins with the infected...

What I am trying to find out is if I can switch my difficulty to "Chicken" on my current game, should the later missions prove to frustrating or annoying.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

NeOak

Hmm, seeing as the TV the Wii U is plugged into has the dreaded overscan problem with the console, i'm not playing it for now.

Anyone knows what is the base trade in value of this game at Gamestop? 50% extra atm!

Hmm, seeing as the TV the Wii U is plugged into has the dreaded overscan problem with the console, i'm not playing it for now.

Anyone knows what is the base trade in value of this game at Gamestop? 50% extra atm!

What?

Keep it and play it. It's literally the best game on the WiiU and the best survival horror game in years.

Man,
Buckingham Palace
is kicking my ass. I've lost like 4 survivors already, including my cool army guy I was kind of attached to :( He wandered out of my game and now I lost a ton of cool stuff.

Crowd control is tough in this game, I'm going to have to start running more. I definitely need to start mixing things up with more secondary items - flares, grenades, etc.

Raoh

I can't believe how bad I am at this, I can't survive for more than 10 minutes

I'll take a headshot at a far away zombie with the silencer handgun, and lure him into an area where there are no other zombies and I can take my time whacking him with my cricket bat.

I keep a flare handy to toss if I get surrounded too quickly.

Raoh

So I can't store my handgun in my storage case can I?

I end up having to carry both my handgun and my silencer handgun, that's a slot just taking up space in my bag.

Oidisco

So I can't store my handgun in my storage case can I?

I end up having to carry both my handgun and my silencer handgun, that's a slot just taking up space in my bag.

I'm pretty sure you can store it. Just make sure you're not holding the item you want to put into the container. I had that problem with the crossbow. Was holding it so I couldn't move it anywhere.

Palmer_v1

Got a WiiU and this for Christmas. Send me some friend invites so you can kill my many zombified survivors! Name is either Tygell or Palmer_v1.

Can someone explain something for me? Possibly spoilers for anyone not past Buckingham.
While scanning various rooms in Buckingham Palace, I've come across what appears to be numbers on a few of the paintings. They always appear to be the same so far. Is this something that will become more important? I wanted to write down the code and locations, but the game doesn't seem to have a notepad feature

Got a WiiU and this for Christmas. Send me some friend invites so you can kill my many zombified survivors! Name is either Tygell or Palmer_v1.

Can someone explain something for me? Possibly spoilers for anyone not past Buckingham.
While scanning various rooms in Buckingham Palace, I've come across what appears to be numbers on a few of the paintings. They always appear to be the same so far. Is this something that will become more important? I wanted to write down the code and locations, but the game doesn't seem to have a notepad feature

There's a scanner upgrade you get later in the game that makes those useful.

Top Bottom