• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I need some NNId friends for ZombieU. Having a hard time with the game and need some more stocked dead zombieU players wondering my halls! My NNID is JetJevons.

I need some NNId friends for ZombieU. Having a hard time with the game and need some more stocked dead zombieU players wondering my halls! My NNID is JetJevons.

You don't need people in your friends list for that, you'll be getting people from all over the world by basically just visiting Miiverse.
I've had zombie survivors from people I haven't even seen anywhere before, yet there they are. Most are pretty heavily stocked up, too.

Can't wait to start on Tuesday. Game is arriving Wednesday. Just thinking about having it in the apartment is giving me chills...

BTW: Huge Dark Souls/Demon's Souls junky here. This thread really reminds me of those threads, especially in the polar reactions from the hardcore gamers. You either love the difficulty or you hate it, I guess. Not a lot of room in the middle.

Can't wait to start on Tuesday. Game is arriving Wednesday. Just thinking about having it in the apartment is giving me chills...

BTW: Huge Dark Souls/Demon's Souls junky here. This thread really reminds me of those threads, especially in the polar reactions from the hardcore gamers. You either love the difficulty or you hate it, I guess. Not a lot of room in the middle.

ZombiU isn't on the same difficulty as Dark Souls, though.
It's hard, yeah, but not "You will die 35 times before you even know WHY you died" hard.
You will still probably die a lot though.
Died ~15 times myself before I had to restart due to a gamebreaking bug.

Is it just me or is aiming a gun in this really cumbersome? It seems so strange to me to have the pull trigger to aim only zoom in slightly instead of aiming down the sights. I feel it's slightly disorienting.

I'm assuming the crosshairs get smaller as you level up your skills but the lack of iron sights seems odd.

Zarovitch

I'm so bad at this game, that %$? zombie should not have kill me last night.
Always the same patern, i swing that cricket bat to soon.

Sometime i'll learn...

guek

Banned
any word on whether there's a patch coming to fix the game breaking bugs? a friend of mine is permanently stuck behind a door :-(

Is it just me or is aiming a gun in this really cumbersome? It seems so strange to me to have the pull trigger to aim only zoom in slightly instead of aiming down the sights. I feel it's slightly disorienting.

I'm assuming the crosshairs get smaller as you level up your skills but the lack of iron sights seems odd.
I think it's intentional. Real men play with crosshairs off any way ;-p.

In other news I finished the
nursery
- god damn, Blair Witch Project reloaded. Great atmosphere and setting.

Mistle

Slight gameplay spoilers in this post I guess.

Man, the nursery area was easily the most intense part so far imo. I can't believe I made it through without dying! The part where you fall through to the basement and your torch starts malfunctioning, and there's a electricity zombie was crazy. And then in the kitchen with the explosive zombie on the ground... As soon as I saw it I ran back out of the room, closed door, placed a mine infront of the door and hid around the corner. I've never used a mine before but it was so worth it lol, really cool way to take that guy out safely.
And then there's a small room with like 3-4 zombies! I threw a cocktail but started burning myself too, so I quickly used a medpack while flaming zombies are out to get me,... So many close calls!
Somehow though I made it out alive. It was extra intense as I heard not to die in the nursery as it can screw up your save file.

Sadly I died in the field outside waiting for the door to be remote unlocked D:

Question: when you lose weapons and such on a fallen survivor, how can you retrieve them? I want my crossbow back but not sure how. The monitors in the safe house don't how me weapon locations.

Slight gameplay spoilers in this post I guess.

Man, the nursery area was easily the most intense part so far imo. I can't believe I made it through without dying! The part where you fall through to the basement and your torch starts malfunctioning, and there's a electricity zombie was crazy. And then in the kitchen with the explosive zombie on the ground... As soon as I saw it I ran back out of the room, closed door, placed a mine infront of the door and hid around the corner. I've never used a mine before but it was so worth it lol, really cool way to take that guy out safely.
And then there's a small room with like 3-4 zombies! I threw a cocktail but started burning myself too, so I quickly used a medpack while flaming zombies are out to get me,... So many close calls!
Somehow though I made it out alive. It was extra intense as I heard not to die in the nursery as it can screw up your save file.

Sadly I died in the field outside waiting for the door to be remote unlocked D:

Question: when you lose weapons and such on a fallen survivor, how can you retrieve them? I want my crossbow back but not sure how. The monitors in the safe house don't how me weapon locations.
You should spoiler that. About the weapons, CCTV should give weapon locations. Not sure though since I could always retrieve my weapons so far.

majik13

I dont find the aiming really cumbersome, but I also dont really see what readying every weapon before firing. really brings to the table, other than a lesser way to handle aiming IMO. Maybe it is a way to differentiate itself from a general fps, so people don't play it as such?

I still think that there should be hipfire, and ironsights. And not require every weapon to be readied. Really weird for mines, and throwable objects., etc. I am used to it now. But I think it could make the game more intense when ironsights reduces the FOV.

Yep, I posted that glitch a few days ago.

I also found the dev team account name after falling through the garbage chute at Freedman's flat. I posted a screenshot on Miiverse.

It showed as "ZombiUDev" but I can't find it in a user search nor can I add it as a friend.

Heh, I just now found it myself and posted it to the Miiverse since I the user doesn't seem to exist. First thought afterward: check GAF!

ThankeeSai

Just finished on Normal. Took me 18 hours and 17 survivors. Messed up at the end so got the 'bad' ending. Hats off to those who complete this in Survival Mode...Honestly not sure if my heart could take it, lol. What an amazing game though!

Not without it's flaws, but no major issues as far as I'm concerned. Best Survival Horror game in years. Roll on the sequel!

I think I'm stuck. I'm at the part early on where you have to get the 2 CCTV junction boxes near the supermarket. I got one,
in the basement of the supermarket. After that the prepper told me to get my ass back to the safe house, so I did. But now the green target on the map is still telling me to go back to the supermarket. But once I get inside, it tells me to go out. But once I'm out...it tells me to go back in. Basically leading me in circles. Has the game bugged out on me?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Finished it today. I loved it but it's really obvious it was rushed to release at launch. I unintentionally sequence-broke and kinda screwed up the game. (End game spoilers)
At the point where you're supposed to get the rest of the Dee letters I went into full Metroid mode and decided to go back to all the areas to scan missing CCTV boxes and open areas that I couldn't before (C4 barriers, keycard doors, etc). I hacked a door in Buckingham Palace, killed the zombie doctor, got his eye, went back to the palace underground (where the doctor was still alive lol) and used it on the retina scanner door. Got to the vault in the Queen's quarters area where the computer is. I got the contextual "Use" prompt for it but it did nothing when I tried. Then I realized I was trapped because the door that you normally exit that area from was barred so I committed suicide with a grenade.

Played through the rest of the game correctly but when I got back to the room where you're supposed the kill the doctor he wasn't there so I couldn't clear that objective. Continued on and went to the vault in the Queen's quarters again and this time was able to use the computer and the door was open so I could escape. Didn't have any objective marker but I heard the radio chatter on the pad say they were evacuating at London Tower so I went there but nothing happened. Went back to the safehouse and nothing going on there either. At this point I thought I was boned and would have to start a new game. I went back to the room where you kill the doctor and his body was there this time so I grabbed his eye and the next objective showed up on the map allowing me to finish the game.

And after all that I made a pitifully stupid mistake and got the bad ending :/

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I still think that there should be hipfire, and ironsights. And not require every weapon to be readied. Really weird for mines, and throwable objects., etc. I am used to it now. But I think it could make the game more intense when ironsights reduces the FOV.
What is "ironsights," exactly? I know it's some mechanic in recent fps games, but I've never been sure of what it meant...

What is "ironsights," exactly? I know it's some mechanic in recent fps games, but I've never been sure of what it meant...

It's when you aim with this thing on the front of a gun instead of a magic target on the screen:

220px-Visierlinie.jpg

I think I'm stuck. I'm at the part early on where you have to get the 2 CCTV junction boxes near the supermarket. I got one,
in the basement of the supermarket. After that the prepper told me to get my ass back to the safe house, so I did. But now the green target on the map is still telling me to go back to the supermarket. But once I get inside, it tells me to go out. But once I'm out...it tells me to go back in. Basically leading me in circles. Has the game bugged out on me?

Yes it has. That's a game-breaking glitch and you're forced to restart the game.

The same thing happened to me when I first played it, but I read that it can be caused by dying during that mission. So, I restarted the game, made sure not to die during that mission, and I was able to finish the game without any other issues.

Sanctuary

ZombiU isn't on the same difficulty as Dark Souls, though. It's hard, yeah, but not "You will die 35 times before you even know WHY you died" hard.

That only applies to people who have never actually played Demon's Souls...or classic NES games for that matter. ;)

Why is that better?

It's not. At all. Some people just think it's slightly more realistic to aim the way you actually would aim with a gun. I'm sure if anyone had actually ever used those weapons in real life it would make a difference in the game, but the majority have never touched much more than a hunting rifle or pistol.

KU_

I'm getting this for Christmas, and I have a question. Is there any way to copy your save file, or make multiple save files, or is it just one? Seeing as it has a few game breaking bugs, I usually make multiple save files for all my games I play in case something like that were to happen. Anyone?

DocSeuss

That only applies to people who have never actually played Demon's Souls...or classic NES games for that matter. ;)

It's not. At all. Some people just think it's slightly more realistic to aim the way you actually would aim with a gun. I'm sure if anyone had actually ever used those weapons in real life it would make a difference in the game, but the majority have never touched much more than a hunting rifle or pistol.

Iron Sights are used in shooters because they slow the gameplay down and limit the player's vision. They basically exist to compensate for a controller.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Normally I'd prefer iron sights, but I like the idea that weapons only have one state and that's readying. Makes me feel like all my characters are inexperienced when it comes to weapon usage. Iron sights are great, but the accuracy boost always translates to my own pretty high aiming skill level, which means I'll be headshotting shit like no tomorrow.

I already had no problem with aiming in ZombiU, and I remember thinking to myself that though this is a game I feel the PC audience would really appreciate, it would also probably break easy with a mouse.

haha wow i feel so dumb, stopped played 5 days ago cause i couldn't find the rest of the keypad number but it was right outside the shed and on the wall, i searched everywhere :/

but finally getting through that and holy shit thought i could escape a zombie by going into a sewer but it grabbed me and put me back on the street , was really intense

this was before the gas station and holy shit at the number of zombies outside it, thankfully i had a flare and two molotov's :D

thats enough for tonight, i am getting far with the 5th survivor, the street peddler haha B^)

Raoh

Only just started playing.

I am loving this game.

Not very far at all but it all works well. Its like wii sports in the sense that its a great game for getting a feel for the controller.

Glad I made this the first game I picked up.

Has anyone encountered a glitch yet? My problem in the game is
I have to acquire a gas tank from a petrol station, but I couldn't find a gas tank around there. I even checked gamefaqs, and it states after you learn how to hack the door. Once you unlock the door, the gas tank should be there. However, it isn't there for some apparent reason.

I dont find the aiming really cumbersome, but I also dont really see what readying every weapon before firing. really brings to the table, other than a lesser way to handle aiming IMO. Maybe it is a way to differentiate itself from a general fps, so people don't play it as such?

I think it ads to the tension in hectic encounters. Being able to hipfire or throw grenades on a whim or change more items on the fly would make it to action-y and easy imo.

Yeah, no crosshairs is the only way to play.

Feel like Zombi U devs should make it give you a score boost tbh.
That's quite an awesome idea!

Mael

Just got it yesterday!
I don't think I have enough time to play it though now ;_;
Here's for tonight when I try to prepare my luggages for the trip of the holiday...

ShogunX

Finally got to play this yesterday for a couple of hours at a friends place. It was pretty decent but for me a lot of what the game offers has already been done better in Condemned: Criminal Origins.

It was a fun game though and one I would pick up if I was buying a WiiU at launch.

Hakai

Guys, I got this game yesterday, and when I started olaying it, I found out that the subtitles and the buttons that appear on screen are kinda tiny.

Is it just me? It's hard to actually read the thing. I didn't see anyone complaining about it, so I figured I've done something wrong?

Can someone help me?

Yes it has. That's a game-breaking glitch and you're forced to restart the game.

The same thing happened to me when I first played it, but I read that it can be caused by dying during that mission. So, I restarted the game, made sure not to die during that mission, and I was able to finish the game without any other issues.

Thanks. Luckily it's not too far from the beginning. I don't mind starting over now that I get what the game is about and I won't go through 8 characters in 2 hrs.

Raoh

Guys, I got this game yesterday, and when I started olaying it, I found out that the subtitles and the buttons that appear on screen are kinda tiny.

Is it just me? It's hard to actually read the thing. I didn't see anyone complaining about it, so I figured I've done something wrong?

Can someone help me?

I had the same issue, I always enable subtitles. I didn't see any overscan options in the game but I changed my tv settings to "Full Pixel" and that made the text more legible and fixed the overscan issue.

majik13

Heh, I just now found it myself and posted it to the Miiverse since I the user doesn't seem to exist. First thought afterward: check GAF!

Yeah if it is the same name I am thinking "NiCUcocote" or something(posted by "someone"), I remember seeing it many weeks ago, and before that near launch at a different location, then they did that interview a few weeks ago saying they will put their name up somewhere in the game. At that time I was positive it was that name, and no one on miiverse replied back on what it was, I also forgot to search the user at that time. And then a few days later they made a message in game about it.

I tried searching that name and no user came up :(

I think I later asked on miiverse, and apparently Ubi screwed up and that name is their nickname and the actually miiverse name is just ZombiU_Dev_Team.

And sure enough, that is a real account with the green checkmark, and seems to be the official miiverse name. Also seems like it has only been up for a week or so.

Interestingly enough, several friends of the account(before they added normal users and filled their friend list), seems to be developers of the game. One of the users ID was Cocote.....

Why is that better?

It's generally more than just a visual change; slower movement, a restricted FOV and finer aiming controls are often used in conjunction. The combination of all these things simulates the advantages and disadvantages of using the sights on an actual weapon. It's only better in terms of simulation.

Normally I'd prefer iron sights, but I like the idea that weapons only have one state and that's readying. Makes me feel like all my characters are inexperienced when it comes to weapon usage. Iron sights are great, but the accuracy boost always translates to my own pretty high aiming skill level, which means I'll be headshotting shit like no tomorrow.

I already had no problem with aiming in ZombiU, and I remember thinking to myself that though this is a game I feel the PC audience would really appreciate, it would also probably break easy with a mouse.

I hadn't considered the aiming stance as inexperience with fire arms and that certainly would fit with the game. There's just something that feels off to me about the aiming, but thinking about it in that context reminds me of a few tense encounters that only existed due to inaccuracy.

It could also just be too much ARMA/DAYZ.

majik13

Not sure why handling each gun in real life would make any real difference, usually ironsight aiming doesn't change based on the type of gun you use in game.

Why is that better?

As some have already stated, mainly more immersion, finer aim control, and has a trade off of, slower look speed, slower character movement, and reduced FOV. For the case of ZombiU, it would also mean not having to hold both triggers to use any weapon by opening up the option for hipfire.

Dudebros think it's more immersive. I say fuck that shit and give me classic hip firing while strafing.

Isnt this kinda contradictory? Enabling ironsights would then give the option of real hipfire. Currently the game doesn't have hipfire. It just has a similar gun positioning to hipfire, but it doesn't actually function like it.

Also "classic hip firing" I am guessing you mean games like Doom, 007? Dont require the user to ready the gun first IIRC.

Normally I'd prefer iron sights, but I like the idea that weapons only have one state and that's readying....

Yeah I know what you mean, I am torn on the issue. I like the idea of readying some weapons, like the bat, and maybe throw able objects, but seems a little weird for mines, and most other weapons w/o scopes.

Top Bottom