• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

JaxJag

Banned
I just
escaped the nursery.
Can anyone ballpark about how far I am?

That's one area I miss achievements. They are a great way to usually tell about how far you are in a game.

Also, the game is outstanding.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I didn't see anyone post this, but I think it's a decent article. I think most of us are beyond the bad taste review consensus might have given us, but here is another analysis: http://www.coffeewithgames.com/2012/12/critics-vs-customers-zombiu-reviews-or.html

Click the link and maybe an add or two before I spoil it...

CwG said:
ZombiU currently has a "professional" review score average of 77.09%, based on 43 reviews on GameRankings.com. Its MetaCritic.com Metascore is currently 77 out of 100, based on 61 critic reviews... ZombiU currently has a review score average of 92.77%, based on 36 customer reviews from Amazon.com. The game had a review score average of 88.43%, based on 2,149 gamer reviews directly from the Wii U's eShop rating.

CwG said:
What "reviews" of ZombiU contain either outright incorrect information, or show the "reviewers" apparently didn't finish the game? Here's my short list, for now. IGN. Nintendo Life. Game Informer. Then there is Game Spot's reviewer, who went into the game knowing (I guess) it is a survival horror title, but thinks it should have been an action game instead?

CwG said:
I just don't understand reviews having incorrect information, as two of them above do, and leaving that incorrect information published. Perhaps the sites were taken over by zombies? I contacted both sites with reviews containing incorrect information. One site didn't want to address a larger problem with their "review", and chose to leave incorrect information published; the other site apparently didn't care their "review" contained bad information and has left it published as well. Then, one of the reviewers hasn't answered a simple question about the game that he was asked, "How long did it take you to complete it so I have an idea?"

I just
escaped the nursery.
Can anyone ballpark about how far I am?

That's one area I miss achievements. They are a great way to usually tell about how far you are in a game.

Also, the game is outstanding.

yeah i just finished that part myself and want to know how long i have.

about that part
fdsljkfdshfdslhsdfdsjkldfsfs lol the fuck, ghost electric woman making me jump after examining her haha, fantastic part

game is really awesome

Got it. That part out front of
Buckingham Palace with the gun emplacement
was intense. Finally time for bed...

I didn't see anyone post this, but I think it's a decent article. I think most of us are beyond the bad taste review consensus might have given us, but here is another analysis: http://www.coffeewithgames.com/2012/12/critics-vs-customers-zombiu-reviews-or.html

Click the link and maybe an add or two before I spoil it...

The Gamespot review might be the worst review of the year. He says it has an "uninteresting world" - is he serious? The whole thing around using John Dee in a video game had me hooked from the start. That score is for a game that's fundamentally shitty, and this obviously isn't. It's a cool experience if only for The Prepper's voice acting.

I finished the game with 51 survivors. Kind of embarrassing as others have finished with just a handful of deaths. I died a ton of times in the
arena and in the beginning when your safe house gets attacked.
But I had a ton of fun - my favorite game of the year.

got my WIIU premium on day 1 and this game and for some reason I haven't played it yet... don't want to go through the entire thread but is this game getting a really positive view?

yeah i just finished that part myself and want to know how long i have.

After
the nursery
you are about halfway done with the game.

about that part
fdsljkfdshfdslhsdfdsjkldfsfs lol the fuck, ghost electric woman making me jump after examining her haha, fantastic part

game is really awesome

Yeah, it made me jump twice even, because I forgot about it the second time around:lol

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This game is so great...unfortunately I wasn't able to play it in the past few days, and I really miss my Gamepad suvrivor kit, the atmosphere, the mood of the infected London.
I didn't feel this desire of gaming for a long time, before this game...

Got it. That part out front of
Buckingham Palace with the gun emplacement
was intense. Finally time for bed...

The Gamespot review might be the worst review of the year. He says it has an "uninteresting world" - is he serious? The whole thing around using John Dee in a video game had me hooked from the start. That score is for a game that's fundamentally shitty, and this obviously isn't. It's a cool experience if only for The Prepper's voice acting.
You ain't seen nothing yet - prepare for some veeery intense moments :).

And yeah some of the reviews are seriously mind-baffling. I can understand different taste in gaming and all. But apart from some glitches and the mediocre gfx, which can be attributed to the smaller budget, this game is great. This you can acknowledge even when you're not a fan of survival horror and want every game to be action-y like L4D (which is a great game in its own right).

JaxJag

Banned
If you listen to any video game podcasts the poor reviews would make more sense to you. It seems a lot of the games media just hate hard games, just listen to podcasts like Weekend Confirmed and RebelFM to see what I'm talkin about.

Bumhead

Banned
got my WIIU premium on day 1 and this game and for some reason I haven't played it yet... don't want to go through the entire thread but is this game getting a really positive view?

I spent a while debating between this and The Walking Dead for my GOTY and have gone with this.

ZombiU has its flaws but it ticked so, so many boxes for me personally. Had so much fun with this game.

You ain't seen nothing yet - prepare for some veeery intense moments :).

And yeah some of the reviews are seriously mind-baffling. I can understand different taste in gaming and all. But apart from some glitches and the mediocre gfx, which can be attributed to the smaller budget, this game is great. This you can acknowledge even when you're not a fan of survival horror and want every game to be action-y like L4D (which is a great game in its own right).

I look forward to it! And yeah, it's like some of those reviewers weren't playing the same game.

If you listen to any video game podcasts the poor reviews would make more sense to you. It seems a lot of the games media just hate hard games, just listen to podcasts like Weekend Confirmed and RebelFM to see what I'm talkin about.

For what it's worth, the Giant Bomb guys who spent time with it were really positive about it on the Bombcast. Even Jeff, who's really picky about this stuff.

ozfunghi

I'm wondering. I finished the game last week, but has anybody turned off their consoles, or quit the game once the credits started to roll? :)

Well fuck lol 0_o just intense and how did I survive

knew that was a trap at the church, I knew it, but damn that's how you get a game intense, lol gamespot

Time to eat lunch then play some more :D

meppi

Finally grabbed this game today on my trip to the nearby mediamarkt.

Even though I've read quite a few positive impressions on this game, which in the end is why I changed my mind and actually wanted to pick it up, I still wasn't ready for how much I'd end up liking it.
It plays very different from all the other zombie games out there and that certainly isn't a bad thing.
It can be quite tough and getting to grips with the mechanics so that you don't freeze up when a handful of Z's swarm you does take a bit of time. But then again, back in the day we had to learn some crazy ass shit to get the most of our games, so it doesn't bother me at all.

I've been playing it all night long and have racked up about 5 hours of gameplay already which certainly surprised me as I tend to jump from one game to the next most of the time.
So glad I did pick this game up now and I have to give props to Ubi for pulling something like this off on their first attempt.
It really deserves good sales numbers and I hope all those shit reviews by people who can't be arsed to learn something new and pussy out of playing a "hard" game for a change don't have too much of a negative effect on it.

It's in cases like this that it goes to show just how much of the gaming media is full of shit these days...

knew that was a trap at the church, I knew it, but damn that's how you get a game intense, lol gamespot

TBH I didn't really like that following sequence from a gameplay perspective. I appreciated the idea but it felt a bit out of place.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
How do I use the syringe now that I have one? It didn't exactly explain and I'm too nervous to let myself get grabbed to test it, heh

Haunted

I'm watching some Let's Play's on Youtube (has become a bit of a habit after finishing an interesting game, I love seeing other people react to it) and holy hell, 90% of people are just flat-out playing it wrong.

Running around trying to shoot every zombie, using spray and pray (and then complaining about the lack of bullets), almost never scanning, not realising the radar ping picks up movements, not "zombies", just basically not listening to Prepper's hints and tips at fucking all.

I dismissed people saying that many reviewers were playing this like a regular FPS game and giving negative impressions when they couldn't, even after Patrick from GB said as much... but now I can see how it's most likely true.

Goddamn, people have become ADD. Kinda disheartening to see one ZombiU playthrough after the other stop a couple videos in because they keep dying instead of learning (but refuse to play on easy because their CoD k/d ratio is like, the shit, dude). :lol

How do I use the syringe now that I have one? It didn't exactly explain and I'm too nervous to let myself get grabbed to test it, heh
Prompt to use it comes up when a zombie manages to grab you. ZR

Meohsix

silly question, and sorry if it's been asked a bunch of times already. i did the zombify yourself picture thing and clicked the "upload to server to share with friends" (or something along those lines) now where do i go to actually get the picture? i checked the zombiu website, the uplay app, all of the in-game menus... am i missing something totally obvious? where did that picture actually get uploaded to?

silly question, and sorry if it's been asked a bunch of times already. i did the zombify yourself picture thing and clicked the "upload to server to share with friends" (or something along those lines) now where do i go to actually get the picture? i checked the zombiu website, the uplay app, all of the in-game menus... am i missing something totally obvious? where did that picture actually get uploaded to?

I asked this long ago, and nobody here knew so I went investigating.

The only place it ever appears, is in game when you check your friends stats. Press the wi-fi looking thing on the gamepad to the left of the screen, and go through the menus. If your friends have uploaded a zombified pic, it shows up next to their name.

Meohsix

I asked this long ago, and nobpdy here knew so I went investigating.

The only place it ever appears, is in game when you check your friends stats. Press the wi-fi looking thing on the gamepad to the left of the screen, and go through the menus. If your friends have uploaded a zombified pic, it shows up next to their name.

Cool, thanks for the info.

TBH I didn't really like that following sequence from a gameplay perspective. I appreciated the idea but it felt a bit out of place.

yeah it did and i see lots of people are dying in miiverse so if theres one fault for the game its that part. But i was screaming and shouting and running all over the place haha.

final part of the game,
fucking electric ghost? enemies hiding on the top, glad i had my molotov, got the eye and saved at the safe house, im gonna assume those 6 zombies in the doors get released and it'll be a horde style finish when i use the eye, can't die now

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :/ game just froze on me

if i lose my survivor because of the game freezing then smh :/

maybe because i was glitching the game i think, i kept going back to the safe house room by walking through the wall lol 0_o, i was doing so good too in the horde breaking in.

at least i know now to place mines all over the place

Mael

So I'm on vacation and I don't have internet except on my phone...
Now I realize how good the connectivity with zombiu and wiiu is.
No more room full of people in nl or other survivors...
I just entered Buckingham bunker and I already exhausted 9 survivors...
None lastedmore than 50 min...
I really never want to die so much I keep making trip to the safehouse.
My box is full too...
This game is intense,goty contender for sure.
If there's more than a zombie I'm in immediate danger of death, I've already had so many legendary moments I lost count!
It's the survival game I always wanted I think. It's funny that in this game a couple of zombies are smarter than trained soldiers in cod...

For some reason, I can't find a
gas tank in petrol station whereas the map shows a target around there, I checked the back where you head toward the safe house and acquire a shotgun. But I don't see it anywhere.
Has anyone have this problem? If so, what's your solution?

dyergram

Finished this the other day it's a 7/10 for me would really love a sequel to capitalise on this proof of concept. I want more melle weapons random co-op/greifing and more horror elements k thanks. Ps dat crossbow may be my gun of the year...

Just beat it a couple of minutes ago, wow what a rush

is the best ending when your survivor escapes and goes on the chopper? cause thats what i got B^) even with no bullets or flares or anything other then the cricket bat lol. thought i was gonna die 50 times
so what was the twist? im curious.

final count
used 5 survivors and finished as the street peddler haha, she was the best.

oh , i never found the crossbow lol, where the hell was it?

Anyone got any links to any youtube play throughs? I love watching this game almost as much as playing it. It doesn't matter if it has commentary or not.

JaxJag

Banned
Finished ZombiU earlier tonight and got the best ending.

Took right at 15 hours, my 11th survivor was my lucky number. Didn't die but like twice during the final 12 hours or so.

Really enjoyed it. I can see someone screwing themselves at the end if they don't conserve supplies for the last run.

There's a lot of stuff that can be improved in the sequel, namely the combat. But hopefully not too much gets changed, because I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
well it's time for me to buy this one, since NSMBU is approaching completion. Glad to hear Gaf is loving it...gameplay looks really fresh and not your usual FPS

Mistle

I just finished that part too! I assume it's the part a few people were complaining about earlier in the thread?

To be honest, I kind of liked it. Yeah it felt a bit out of place, but it was still fun IMO.

Mael

Well my longest run so far... My 9th survivo(Latin student) died in the palace when I was killing a helmet zombie and a horde came on my back, had to switch to shotgun but I sucked so much at that that I was overrun...
Damn I'd really liked wiimote aiming for that game...
Now that the young is dead(1300 points I think) I guess it's time for the girl whatsisname doing whatshisjob...
I hope there's a log with all the data of all the survivors

Dunkelgrau

ZombiU was one of my favorite games in 2012, but the endgame was really terrible.

I died after I received the panacea. All shortcuts were gone, doors closed and so on. No explanation why, no story about that case, three words: WTF?! The world was empty and there was nothing left to explore. I haven’t got any clue were to go and searched about two hours or so for the right way – and died often, because lots of zombies were in the world anyway.
One mission subject in the end game was wrong, too (when you simply have to return to the savehouse). And there was a bug, which made it impossible for me to play along: I have to restart the whole game, after I openend a metal box.

Then I died before I reached the helicopter and received the bad ending. That was pretty okay for me, but the fact, that I only died, because my weapon was not able to reach the zombies in front of the small fence, was not. That really felt like a bug for me.

Looking forward to a sequel.

Is there anybody who finished the game in survival mode? Any lets plays yet? In my opinion it is nearly impossible to finish the game in that mode.

Now I am playing Far Cry 3. :)

dyergram

]blacky[;45702385 said:
ZombiU was one of my favorite games in 2012, but the endgame was really terrible.

I died after I received the panacea. All shortcuts were gone, doors closed and so on. No explanation why, no story about that case, three words: WTF?! The world was empty and there was nothing left to explore. I haven’t got any clue were to go and searched about two hours or so for the right way – and died often, because lots of zombies were in the world anyway.
One mission subject in the end game was wrong, too (when you simply have to return to the savehouse). And there was a bug, which made it impossible for me to play along: I have to restart the whole game, after I openend a metal box.

Then I died before I reached the helicopter and received the bad ending. That was pretty okay for me, but the fact, that I only died, because my weapon was not able to reach the zombies in front of the small fence, was not. That really felt like a bug for me.

Looking forward to a sequel.

Is there anybody who finished the game in survival mode? Any lets plays yet? In my opinion it is nearly impossible to finish the game in that mode.

Now I am playing Far Cry 3. :)
Pretty much the same thing happened to me left a real sour taste but what evs decent game.

Finished this the other day it's a 7/10 for me would really love a sequel to capitalise on this proof of concept. I want more melle weapons random co-op/greifing and more horror elements k thanks. Ps dat crossbow may be my gun of the year...

This! Felt totally Walking dead-esque! It was sweet. THe head shots were so rewarding!

Top Bottom