• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

vareon

Updated my summary a bit.

Mission Design / Story
- It is not truly open world, nor entirely free travel. Instead, there are several levels/zones connected by sewers and other exits.
- You can move between levels/zones via sewers, and these exit points.
- There is no singular protagonist. You instead embody various randomly generated 'survivors'.
- These survivors are lead through the 'story' by four characters, communicating via radio and such. These characters drive the story, irrespective of what survivor you're playing as.
- These four core characters give the survivors missions/tasks that take place in the aforementioned zones, such as collecting objects and presumably killing shit. I assume we will visit zones multiple times.
- There is some kind of end game to work towards, following the missions.

Survivors / Abilities
- No singular protagonist = new survivor on each death.
- Survivors can upgrade weapon proficiencies and effectiveness by using said weapons often, think The Elder Scrolls.
- Weapons can be modified/upgrades for better damage, accuracy, etc by finding loot/goodies scattered throughout zones.
- If a survivor dies, they will take with them their weapon proficiencies and equipment. New survivor starts from scratch, story continues regardless.
- Zombified survivors exist within their respective zones, and can be killed to retrieve old equipment.
- Equipment can be stored in various safe houses by one survivor, and collected by other survivors (should the original survivor die).
- Changes made to zones are persistent. If one survivor unlocks a door, then dies, other survivors will find that door unlocked.
- Some degree of random generation to encounters and surprises in zones, ensuring not every survivor entering a zone will experience the same game.

Controls / Interactivity
- Basic controls not unlike any other dual analogue shooter. Move with one stick, aim with the other, shoot with buttons.
- Main TV screen represents your wider, first person view. GamePad represents intricate, focused view. Appears to emulate the difficulty of splitting your attention between the 'big picture' and smaller, fiddly stuff.
- Examples of the above: sorting through your backpack, picking locks, hitting switches, etc all take place on the GamePad.
- No ability to pause demands micromanagement between GamePad functions and using the big screen to continually observe your surroundings. EG: While picking a lock on the pad you will need to check the big screen to see if zombies are approaching, diverting attention between the two.
- Most weapon aiming appears on the main screen. Scoped weapons use GamePad for aiming, and gyro controls, to simulate a separate 'looking down a scope' perspective.
- Kill and eat rats and ravens for health. Risk of animal carrying plague/virus that depletes health instead.
- Use hammer + planks to barricade doors. Hammer also used for removing planks to access new areas.
- Pick up and read newspapers, magazines, etc.

Social Networking
- Social networking features, not unlike those found in Demon's/Dark Souls.
- Able to create and leave icon/image based messages in zones. These can be discovered/read by your own survivors, and will also be randomly uploaded to other games, appearing in another players zone.
- Zones will occasionally download zombified survivors from someone else's game, placing them in your own zones, with the equipment the other player lost.
- Downloaded zombified survivors will display a survivor score, allowing you to gauge their skill.
- Leaderboards and stat tracking allow you to view your various survivors and their performance, and compare them to others online.

Single/Multi Modes
- Normal campaign allows for infinite survivors.
- A true survivor mode, unlocked by beating the above, grants you only one survivor to finish the game with. Die and you have to start from the very beginning of the 'story' again.
- Various local (not social networking) multiplayer modes, including one where a player using the GamePad plays the game like an RTS, controlling zombie types and spawn points on the map for other players to combat.

All the features show that this is a very deeply thought game, with novel ideas and hopefully well-executed. Instead of just slapping menus and maps to the pad and calling it a day, they actually designed the game with the differences in viewing focus in mind.

Edit : ack, new page. Going to copy all that.

Twinduct

Was looking for this thread, got the premium pack with ZombiU preordered. Excited as hell, sounds like the local MP could have been fun, wish there was some online variant of it though, on account of living alone :/

Has there been any murmurs or mention of additional DLC and stuff? Mostly curious on how the idea of DLC will be handled.

antispin

Oh wow. This sounds very interesting. Might have to buy the console. If I can find one. What's the best site to order the premium bundle online for the USA?

D-e-f-

Banned
We've seen the screenshot attachment button for messaging, but I don't really consider that any different from image attachment on the Wii, or the PS3 for that matter. I'm not aware of OS specific screenshooting having been confirmed, and if not, would require games implement their own screenshooting tools in order to attach an image.

I could be wrong though.

From JP Sep 13 ND:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42268300&postcount=203
(Something about screenshots from both screens in relation to the browser)

From JP Nov 7 ND:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHJO7w5lbu0&feature=player_detailpage#t=1113s
(Miiverse screenshot posting in NSMBU)

Iwata Asks (Miiverse Part 2)
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/miiverse2/0/3
(Posting screenshots to Miiverse)

Has there been any murmurs or mention of additional DLC and stuff? Mostly curious on how the idea of DLC will be handled.

Zero talk about DLC.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Iwata Asks (Miiverse Part 2)
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/miiverse2/0/3
(Posting screenshots to Miiverse)

This basically outright confirms OS level screenshotting. Cool. See, I knew screenshotting in theory had been discussed, and the ability to attach images to messages had been shown, but Nintendo (as usual) refrained from just fucking saying it.

"You can take screenshots of games, with the OS, by simply pressing the HOME button." There, Nintendo. It's not hard.

I guarantee a good portion of GAF would love to know about this, but don't.

EDIT: Fuck it, I'm making a thread, because I think it's cool.

nickcv

Are you sure? IGN pushed their review back to the 18th and I've heard the embargo for ZombiU ends on the 15th.

i read it somewhere, i don't remember which thread anymore, but it should be on my pc history when i get back home.

i remember that tuesday the embargo of Zombi U and NSMBU ended

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't get the Wario64 relation to screenshotting :(.

Just joking maine.

Ah sorry lol. I like having different threads for different news, and the the annoyance with them is kind of weird. It's a new gen for pete's sake even if it doesn't really seem like it.

Edit: lol and I completely forgot about that Yoshida exchange.

Flunkie

Banned
I don't get the Wario64 relation to screenshotting :(.
CZhzZ.png

EatChildren

http://i.imgur.com/CZhzZ.png

Funnily enough, I totally expect Nintendo's screenshotting tools to compress the images to buggery, and result in worse IQ than the clean, native iOS screenshotting tools.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Game is sounding pretty fucking great, truth be told.

I say this being extremely tired of zombies; I could othewise never play another zombie game and be happy.

But I really want to play this.

majik13

I think it was said that the game saves automatically every few second or when you do something so you can't do save reloads if you don't like what happens. They want you to die and have to respawn. I think I recall hearing this in one of the interviews but can't remember which one.

Dragon's Dogma does this. And you only have 1 save slot. The game is kinda survivor horror Skyrim. And I think its a good idea. Keeps you from gaming the system to get the correct results. You can also save at almsost anytime. Wonder if ZombiU will be like this. Or if it wil only let you mannually save at the safe house, plus auto saves

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wondering whether being set in Britain will make me enjoy the game more, or the odd little things that are wrong will jar?

And *********** had a preorder banner for £39.99 but when you click on it, it's £47. That's a stupid price when almost all other wiiU launch games are £39.99 including Nintendo first party. Just Ubisoft setting a ridiculous RRP.

Really wish this game had a some kind of a online multiplayer modes. I feel like Ubi is missing out on a great opportunity to really make this a killer app for launch. Oo well itll still probably sell really well, i think i might wait for a price drop/deal (unless the reviews are really awesome). Maybe online multi modes for ZombiU 2 :/

Bumhead

Banned
Game is sounding pretty fucking great, truth be told.

I say this being extremely tired of zombies; I could othewise never play another zombie game and be happy.

But I really want to play this.

Im in a similar boat.

Im tired of zombies, but still have a huge place in my heart for a genuinely brilliant zombie apocolypse game. I thought Dead Island was a brilliant zombie game in terms of how it treated the zombies and the whole survival atmosphere, but ZombiU looks to go a few steps beyond even that.

Taker666

Wondering whether being set in Britain will make me enjoy the game more, or the odd little things that are wrong will jar?

And *********** had a preorder banner for £39.99 but when you click on it, it's £47. That's a stupid price when almost all other wiiU launch games are £39.99 including Nintendo first party. Just Ubisoft setting a ridiculous RRP.

It's more to do with certain retailers trying to screw early adopters.

Most of the big sites are overcharging for Zombiu (and most Wii U games)......but The Game Collection are selling it for £35.95..and you can get it from IWOOT and WOWHD for £37.95.

D-e-f-

Banned
Really wish this game had a some kind of a online multiplayer modes. I feel like Ubi is missing out on a great opportunity to really make this a killer app for launch. Oo well itll still probably sell really well, i think i might wait for a price drop/deal (unless the reviews are really awesome). Maybe online multi modes for ZombiU 2 :/

you can only do so much ...and people are gonna play and prefer Black Ops 2 Zombie Mode over this (if it had online mp) anyway.

better have a strong focus on the core singleplayer experience (which has very neat online elements) than shoehorn some token online multiplayer in there. the added benefit of the system is best shown in the local mp anyway.

Twinduct

Man been avoiding watching any gameplay footage, just caved in and watched that 15 mins gameplay. Looks to be using the Pad quite extensively. Anyway hyped!

Haven't read up on anything since I'm kinda blacking out at this point, but how is the loading situation in this game? Loading screens, or "streamed" style that is hidden in the background as you play?

D-e-f-

Banned
Haven't read up on anything since I'm kinda blacking out at this point, but how is the loading situation in this game? Loading screens, or "streamed" style that is hidden in the background as you play?

When you transition between the larger areas there are loading screens. Within those large zones, content is streamed. (in one of the preview videos there's a Metroid Prime-situation where the player cannot immediately open a door since the area is still loading for a second, not sure if that was 100% final code though)

This basically outright confirms OS level screenshotting. Cool. See, I knew screenshotting in theory had been discussed, and the ability to attach images to messages had been shown, but Nintendo (as usual) refrained from just fucking saying it.

"You can take screenshots of games, with the OS, by simply pressing the HOME button." There, Nintendo. It's not hard.

I guarantee a good portion of GAF would love to know about this, but don't.

EDIT: Fuck it, I'm making a thread, because I think it's cool.
New consoles come out once every 5-years-ish. I think GAF can suffer a flood of threads related to those consoles when that happens. I expect the 720 and PS4 will flood this forum with even more crap since people will want every single occasion to compare their graphical outputs to determine the "winner".

Hiltz

Funnily enough, I totally expect Nintendo's screenshotting tools to compress the images to buggery, and result in worse IQ than the clean, native iOS screenshotting tools.

I agree with you. Nintendo's going to make this a pointless feature due to the crummy potential image quality. I suppose we should be used to Nintendo's methods by now.

It's a streamed style I think, the games radar video (as far as I remember) had a 'loading' piece of text that prevented the player from opening a door. Not sure if that was placed there deliberately to increase tension though.

There are also loading screens when travelling from one part of London to another using the sewers and London Underground too I think. Loading times appear to be very minimal though.

Of course, this is all via demos rather than the final product. I'm hoping that we can physically walk down sewers/Underground tracks and fight zombies on the way to the next area. Would be a lot cooler than just having shortcuts from one area to the next without any sort of interaction.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Haha the back of my copy on the box it says, "Basic reading ability is needed to fully enjoy this game." That made me laugh.

roddur

I agree with you. Nintendo's going to make this a pointless feature due to the crummy potential image quality. I suppose we should be used to Nintendo's methods by now.

and i think these kind of steps make people scream "Nintendo is cheap".

D-e-f-

Banned
Haha the back of my copy on the box it says, "Basic reading ability is needed to fully enjoy this game." That made me laugh.

Bu- ..but ...if you can't read then how do you know you need the basic reading ability ... ooooh the vicious circle! My head hurts!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm almost convinced to get this day 1, but I really need a few reviews first.

Eusis

Bu- ..but ...if you can't read then how do you know you need the basic reading ability ... ooooh the vicious circle! My head hurts!
It's meant for parents shopping for a game to get their children, and making sure it's something they could play before they get a firmer grasp of English (or French or Spanish depending on how many languages this supports).

Of course, being an M RATED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL HORROR means you have bigger factors to keep in mind than if they can read the text in the game or not.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Like the government leaflets which have the note 'if you are blind, Braille versions of this leaflet can be obtained by phoning xxxxxxx'

Top Bottom