• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Im going to pretend that I am a survivor in the Walking Dead universe that is in London when whatever happens happens. I will be very content in doing so.

Amir0x

Banned
King of Zombie mode was the best thing about this game when I was at NYCC. Shame no online makes it useless for me, but hopefully in a sequel they change that.

CrisKre

This mode looks amazing.

King of Zombie mode was the best thing about this game when I was at NYCC. Shame no online makes it useless for me, but hopefully in a sequel they change that.

Hey Amir0x, why arent you in the paper mario thread? Are you playing it? Intrigued of what you think of it.

Effect

I wonder if the King of Zombie mode can be played solo. The game controlling the KoZ and you the survivor or the other way around. It's never been asked in an interview. The other modes are solo I believe.

ElRenoRaven

I wonder if the King of Zombie mode can be played solo. The game controlling the KoZ and you the survivor or the other way around. It's never been asked in an interview. The other modes are solo I believe.

I doubt it with it being multiplayer and all.

Awesome advert, can't see it being aired on any television network though unfortunately...unless it's aired in the middle of a gory telly programme such as The Walking Dead. You certainly shouldn't get any complaints in that case imo.

Amir0x

Banned
Hey Amir0x, why arent you in the paper mario thread? Are you playing it? Intrigued of what you think of it.

I was in rehab all weekend, and I haven't had much time to play it besides. But from what I've played so far I just... I'll just try to give it some more time.

God, i hope they release an official soundtrack for this game. I want an extended/full version of their version of God Save the Queen

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
ZombiU embargo ends Sunday morning, apparently.

That's some bullshit. At least let us hear some impressions. The shush shush on this game is starting to get somewhat worrisome. I am aware that this is how Ubisoft usually handles reviews on major projects, but still....

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
"ZombiU is at its best with inventive, demanding gameplay reminiscent of Demon's Souls, and unique usage of the GamePad manages to surpass even Nintendo's best. And though mixed graphical quality that never manages to rise above current generation titles, framerate inconsistencies typical of an engine that still needs optimisation, lack of online hindering longevity, and general abnormalities and quirks associated with a title pushed hard for launch somewhat drag down the overall quality, ZombiU positions itself as arguably the most interesting title at launch, thankfully geared towards older players, and a solid showcase of the Wii U's unique qualities.

Overall: 8/10"

There's every review.

DrLazy

"ZombiU is at its best with inventive, demanding gameplay reminiscent of Demon's Souls, and unique usage of the GamePad manages to surpass even Nintendo's best. And though mixed graphical quality that never manages to rise above current generation titles, framerate inconsistencies typical of an engine that still needs optimisation, lack of online hindering longevity, and general abnormalities and quirks associated with a title pushed hard for launch somewhat drag down the overall quality, ZombiU positions itself as arguably the most interesting title at launch, thankfully geared towards older players, and a solid showcase of the Wii U's unique qualities.

There's every review.

Yeah, gotta love it.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Yeah my paranoid side is starting to get a bit worried..

I'm hoping this is Ubisoft airing on the safe side just in case the reviews somehow lower current hype levels (which would lead to less sales at launch), and not an actual Indication of how they feel the product shapes up quality-wise.

jerd

There's every review.

Also, "frustrating to have to split my attention between two screens".

heringer

There's every review.

Except for Jim Sterling's review, which will be a 2/10 or a 10/10.

There's every review.

Needs a sentence dinging it for either "shoehorned launch title gimmicks" or "doesn't utilize the platform's unique functions."

There's every positive review.

Fixed.

Don't forget we may get a lot of this:

"Zombi U by Ubisoft (Red Steel) is an ambitious title hampered by its constant demand for the player to split their attention between two screens and the lack of a pause button was constantly frustrating. The lack of a consistent playable character means that there is very little engagement between player and story. Resetting skills every time you die was more frustrating than difficult or engaging. At best the graphics look like a mid-teir game on the Xbox 360, at worst like a PS2 title (Some questionable texture work). While there are some interesting ideas presented here, I couldn't help but feel this would have been more enjoyable on an already-established console without the controller gimmicks.

6/10"

Fixed.

Don't forget we may get a lot of this:

"Zombi U by Ubisoft (Red Steel) is an ambitious title hampered by its constant demand for the player to split their attention between two screens and the lack of a pause button was constantly frustrating. The lack of a consistent playable character means that there is very little engagement between player and story. Resetting skills every time you die was more frustrating than difficult or engaging. At best the graphics look like a mid-teir game on the Xbox 360, at worst like a PS2 title (Some questionable texture work). While there are some interesting ideas presented here, I couldn't help but feel this would have been more enjoyable on a an already-established console without the controller gimmicks.

6/10"

Nailed the lukewarm review. I expect reviews all over the place, but from what I've seen thus far this is the game for me. Now someone make the negative 3.5 review.

Nailed the lukewarm review. I expect reviews all over the place, but from what I've seen thus far this is the game for me. Now someone make the negative 3.5 review.

Zombi U, Ubisoft's (Just Dance 4, Red Steel) exclusive offering for Nintendo's Wii U is a confusing game. It wants really bad to be ambitous, but none of its ideas ever really get off the ground - largely hampered by the bulky Wii U pad.
The zombie meme has run its course in popular culture, and from a story telling point of view this offers nothing new. The 15 hour campaign (6 Gamepad charges!) was too short to really engage. The local multi-player option was simple, yet amusing, for a while, but the baffling lack of online means this will never be touched by most.
Resetting character skills with each death seemed like pointless punishment to the player and meant that even in its final stages the game was no more difficult than the first level. Gameplay is the same slow, methodical pace the whole time - although I remained hopeful in the early levels. In a market flooded with CoD and CoD-clones, is a slow moving game such as this going to gain traction with core-gamers?
I felt that the devs tried to hide poor graphics with yet another 'dirty lens' filter. Some of the zombie models seemed to be sporting Dreamcast-levels of polygons and the texture work was, at times, embarrassingly low-res.
The controller gimmicks were frustrating, unnecessary, and ultimately a hinderance on the experience.
If this is next gen, I'm not impressed. Let's wait to see what Microsoft and Sony can cook up.

3.5/10

Top Bottom