• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zone of the Enders HD Collection |OT|

I bought it but still have to get around to playing it. I cannot wait to relive that moment of getting zero shift for the first time. SO GOOD!!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Fucking shit game!

It is pretty awesome when it does run at 60 fps for like the two tiny indoor corridors with nothing in them though!

MormaPope

Banned
Fucking shit game!

It is pretty awesome when it does run at 60 fps for like the two tiny indoor corridors with nothing in them though!

Are you playing the PS3 version? The 360 version suffers slowdown time to time but it's pretty consistent.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
GBMfw.png

LkQJ4.png

Done with both Platinums now

Vic Viper Wins. said:

I might dive into a few of the EX missions in between classes during the week, but other than that I think I'm done with the games atm.

Had fun though. These replays made me realize I like ZoE2 alot more than I thought I did.

EDIT: Wow, the performance during the final boss of ZoE 2 is fucking embarrassing.

That and the multiple Nephtis fight before Auumaan Anubis are probably the worst of it in the game

but it's really bad because that 2nd to last Anubis fight is already one of the most tedious encounters in the game. Made worse in that it's hard to react to Anubis shield and burst it in time. So it ends up taking even longer.

I think the 1st and last anubis end game fights run pretty decent though. and they're the better fights anyways

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
forgot how frustrating the part where ken has to tell you where to go and correct your direction and stuff is. uuuugh

Oh god yes! Trying minefield is one of the wrst segments ever.

Me: I don't think going right is a good idea Ken, it's a mine.

Ken: Turn right.

Me: But I'll die.

Me: Fine you fuck.

Ken: Good. Now move forward.

(Jehuty blows up)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

(Jehuty blows up)

I've never had that happen

but I've only played on normal

where it's pretty easy to tell the next direction she wants you to go based on the topography of the area

Any patch for the PS 3 version already released or promised?

Nope

I think the earlier patch was actually for the Rising demo

Fucking shit game!

lol

Still as good as I remember from the PS2 version
Sure it isnt 60 frames, but I'm still having a blast!

(Jehuty blows up)

same thing happened to me

I was like FUCK YOU KEN

but despite that it isn't horrible. Just sucks there is no room for mistakes.

At least it has check points

I don't even listen to Ken, just stay between the lights for the 1st few parts, and then when you get to the area with a bunch of Mosquitoes and Homing Mines, go straight towards the mines.

icespide

Banned
just took down that bahram armada, so god damn epic! I left a save on my ps2 memory card so I could play that part over and over again back in the day. I can't think of anything in a video game since that has matched that level.

just took down that bahram armada, so god damn epic! I left a save on my ps2 memory card so I could play that part over and over again back in the day. I can't think of anything in a video game since that has matched that level.

Oh my yes that is one of my favorite gaming moments ever. Especially on the harder difficulties.

Just beat ZoE. Anubis is god mode lol. Nothing hits him, not even a dent in his health bar. Game is short. Now for those survival missions.

Eusis

Just beat ZoE. Anubis is god mode lol. Nothing hits him, not even a dent in his health bar. Game is short. Now for those survival missions.
Yeah, I swore the game was significantly longer than ZoE1, but if anything it may be shorter. Probably because it has more unique content and variety, whereas ZoE1 was very repetitive.

Just picked this up so I'm wondering where I should start. Should I just skip 1 and start with ZoE2 since everyone usually agrees it's the best? I don't have a ton of time, so if it's inconsequential to skip the first game, then I think I'd like to do that. But if there's mechanics and story beats that I absolutely NEED to know, I will find the time and play part 1 first. Thoughts?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The first ZOE can be beaten in less than 2 hours if you skip the cutscenes and 4 hours f you don't. Both games aren't very long.

Play ZOE1 first. It'll make you appreciate how much better ZOE2 is.

Tookay

Just picked this up so I'm wondering where I should start. Should I just skip 1 and start with ZoE2 since everyone usually agrees it's the best? I don't have a ton of time, so if it's inconsequential to skip the first game, then I think I'd like to do that. But if there's mechanics and story beats that I absolutely NEED to know, I will find the time and play part 1 first. Thoughts?

Don't even bother with the first game. The second one fills you in on everything you need to know.

dan2026

I was thinking about getting this for the 360 having never played either game before.
But that 40-45fps in the comparison video is pretty awful for an upscaled ps2 port.

Now I just don't know.

I am playing through Zoe 1 for the first time on this and am loving it. On ps3 I just noticed you can use custom soundtracks. The acrobatics in this game will be great with my own music.

So far the first game is quite fun. There's a few repetitive bits, but overall I am enjohing myself. Visually they did a great job with this hd remake. After hearing how awful it was from some people I am finding it be really good. The frame rate never really bothers me or is incredibly apparent IMO. I never played the original for more than an hour on ps2 but im sure the bells and whistles here make up for its shortcomings.

Certainly miles behind the awful silent hill ports. Yuck.

Alucrid

Banned
I really hate that battle where you have to save the LEVs and stuff. Just failed because I was paying more attention to their health than mine lol.

Koroviev

PS3 version is $30 on Amazon right now. Worth playing for someone who has no prior experience with the games? Mostly wondering about performance and playability. Also, does either the NA or the Asian version offer a Japanese voice option? I really don't like the English VA. It borders on parody.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say go for it if you've never played the games

and only english VA

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The music in ZOE2 is amazing and really gets your blood pumping. That 1st boss battle against Ardjet or the battle with Vic Viper, oh my.

I skipped straight to ZOE2 without playing ZOE1.

Anyways, here's hoping they still keep that Ken "getting too hot and taking off her uniform" stuff, ahahahah.

Robso

I hear there's a lot of back tracking in the first game. (Think it was the first mentioned). What are your thoughts, guys? The second the same?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It's not that bad at all though

I found going forwards in some parts in 2(which is a linear action game in structure, which is why there is no back tracking) to be more tedious and longer than they needed to be than any of the back tracking in one.

Problem in one is that they aren't always sending you to do something interesting, and at times aren't really clear in telling you where to go.

Robso

It's not that bad at all though

I found going forwards in some parts in 2(which is a linear action game in structure, which is why there is no back tracking) to be more tedious and longer than they needed to be than any of the back tracking in one.

Problem in one is that they aren't always sending you to do something interesting, and at times aren't really clear in telling you where to go.

Thanks for the response Roto and Retro. Yeah, I heard that things weren't always clear in the first. Might wait the collection to reduce, just hope they don't go out of stock everywhere like a lot of HD collections do in the UK.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the response Roto and Retro. Yeah, I heard that things weren't always clear in the first. Might wait the collection to reduce, just hope they don't go out of stock everywhere like a lot of HD collections do in the UK.

Yeah Rising demo goes public this month for western territories

no reason to buy the collection at full price at this point lol

Jubern

Playing through this right now. I platinium'd ZOE at the speed of light and started Anubis.

I kind of forgot that ZOE was this short. But its length made for a nice experience that didn't overstay its welcome. Finished it twice in two days, in 3h20 (normal mode, watching most scenes and getting everything) and 2h10 (hard mode, skipping everything but getting A in every rescue mission).

Performance on ZOE was alright, though not as good as I remember it was on the PS2 version. Anubis, on the other hand, is really disappointing. Game is still really enjoyable, but what a fucking shame. To think we were initially promised 60fps@1080p...

Tizoc

So apparently HD Collection is releasing on US PSN this week:
blog.us.playstation.com

If the PSN versions run better than the disc ver., I'll trade in my, as of yet unplayed, disc ver. and grab those 2 when they go on sale.
...but only if they run better than the disc ver.
...and lol at the description:
Hardcore gameplay and an immersive storyline combine with stunning, vibrant visuals in this HD remastering of the legendary Zone of the Enders series. With the increased aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9, upped frame rate from 30 fps to 60 fps, and evolved audio for crisper sound effects, no leaf has been left unturned in bringing Z.O.E into the HD universe. Kojima Productions even teamed up with Sunrise to bring you an impressive introduction sequence that combines artistry and beautiful anime with technical and upscaled CG for an opening that will instantly put you in the zone. With the added bonus of all-new trophies and achievements to collect, this HD Collection is sure to leave you with a satisfying and enthralling gameplay experience.

Any word on whether the framerates are actually any better on the PSN release? Anyone tried it yet? I've been meaning to get this but the performance issues are holding me back a bit.

I figured i'd stop by and just say that playing 2nd Runner again, after so many years, ignoring the performance issues, reminded me of some of my best gaming experiences ever. So much fun playing this game again.

Top Bottom