• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zone of the Enders HD Collection |OT|

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Sorry if this has been asked before but is the whole pressure sensitive button thing missing from the 360 version that big of a deal? I've been playing AC3 so I haven't even opened up my copy. If it's that much of a deal breaker, I'll change it out for the PS3 version...even if that's the "inferior" of the HD versions performance wise.

There are a few subweapons that perform differently based upon button pressure. Honestly I'm not sure how they emulate that on the 360, for some they'd be pretty useless if they were stuck at only one pressure.

So I'm playing ZOE2 now, and while the framerate is indeed a little erratic, it's not what's bugging me the most. It's a bunch of other weird technical issues. Like any time there's a dialog scene where they have the little animated heads in boxes, but have non-cockpit view behind it, it flickers the brightness constantly. And during a boss fight dialog I just had, Dingo's eye and mouth that animate had black boxes over them. Just really blatant obvious defects that should have been resolved during the QA process. "Great Job, Guys."

I do love ZOE2 though, even though I'm sorta hating parts of it now. Lotta really annoying levels in here, frustrating dumb stuff. Though it'd probably be less frustrating if I weren't playing it on Hard. Is Hard Mode harder than it was in the original? Did I hear something about them altering that in a later release? I've only ever played this game on Hard Mode actually, but this time it feels even harder. Maybe I'm just feeling the difference from ZOE1 though, the difference in combat AI and aggressiveness is just mindblowing.

Eusis

First game is just , idk how to describe it, its just the same every stage lol but its ok, im doing the radar part at the moment and im lost at the second one so i gave up for a bit

Just starting the second game and its so much better then the first its crazy, i should have played that first
It's why I said one was a great game, and the other was a proof of concept in the Revengence demo thread. I twas only half acceptable due to when it came in the PS2's lifespan, and even then it was only "saved" by including the MGS2 demo. It's still kinda fun to go through, but it's one of the extremely rare cases where a 3-5 hour game would be better if it were a third of the length.

And... yeah, got to ZoE2 after beating ZoE1. Holy fuck, even with the crappy frame rate it is so much better than ZoE1 practically from the word go. Well, at least from when you get past that painful starting segment in the LEV.

Since I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, don't forget you can respond to radio chatter in ZOE2.

Press R3 or L3 to respond positively or negatively to comments. ADA will remember your responses eventually. For example, positive responses to her weapon recommendations will cause her to switch your sub-weapon for you when you fight specific enemies. Negative responses will cause her to talk considerably less when you defeat an enemy.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Since I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, don't forget you can respond to radio chatter in ZOE2.

Press R3 or L3 to respond positively or negatively to comments. ADA will remember your responses eventually. For example, positive responses to her weapon recommendations will cause her to switch your sub-weapon for you when you fight specific enemies. Negative responses will cause her to talk considerably less when you defeat an enemy.

WHAT!!!

[edit] Wait maybe I knew that but just totally forgot. I'm remembering Dingo yelling things back now on the PS2, a little.

WHAT!!!

[edit] Wait maybe I knew that but just totally forgot. I'm remembering Dingo yelling things back now on the PS2, a little.

Yup, you can also control the cockpit cameras with the right analog stick and R2 to switch between the two. Also, R1 and the joystick can move the camera during cinematics.

The FPS drops during ZOE2 are really bad sometimes.

Danj

I've never played a ZoE game before but obviously I've heard great things about it, so I've been keeping an eye on this thread. Unfortunately that also means I've read about all these problems people are having with it, so I guess I have a couple of questions: should I buy this now and hope the issues get fixed in some future update, and if so, which console should I buy it for?

Also, while searching for it on Amazon UK... it seems like VideoGamesPlus now have an Amazon UK marketplace account?!?!

6Ov4i.png

Has anyone used this service of theirs? Does it ship stuff from the UK (or elsewhere inside the EU)?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Just beat ZOE2 and got my S Ranking, yay! Overall I found that ZOE2 has a little more slow down than ZOE1 but nothing was ever game breaking. Even on the giant battlefield with hundreds of things happening it wasn't bad.

Uraizen

Banned
Oh Train Chase, you so silly, why must you make my hand so sore? Despite the awful framerate, I'm still enjoying the game quite a bit. At this point, it's not like I have a choice anyway. :lol

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Ughh trying to get Rank A overall is tedious. 9 continues and it's still Rank S overall. Going to try 15 Continues.

Anyways:

Time: 3:41
Difficultly: Normal
Enemies: 2974
Continues: 0
Times Saved: 11
Rescue Missions: SS & SS
Overall: SS

Beat the original ZOE for the first time since it released years ago, last night. What a weird little game. It has so many interesting ideas that it never quite delivers on. The final thirty minutes or so are still great though.

Started playing Anubis immediately after and it's comical how much of an improvement it is. The game just feels good, and I forgot how much could be destroyed in every area. Nothing better than throwing a raptor into the wall and see it crumble into pieces. My first time playing the game in Japanese and I'm finding it much better to enjoy the brisk, entertaining story.

Playing on a PS3 btw and while there's slowdown, it's really not a deal breaker for me. Anubis is still so beautiful looking and dat soundtrack. Mmmmm.

Well... I tried. I just can't get past how bad the framerate is (even on 360). I guess I'll just have to wait until I have a computer that can run the ps2 version at full speed to get an HD version :\

It wouldn't matter as much if the game actually dropped frames, but since it actually slows down it messes up the game's flow.

Its a shame really.

Edit: I should note that I'm comparing it to my already-owned Ps2 version, I simply bought the HD version cause PCSX2 can't run the game without severe stuttering on my comp for whatever reason.

Oemenia

Banned
Doesn't seem to improve, unfortunately, but I didn't do very serious testing. Then again I'd probably have immediately noticed in the early part of ZoE2 if it helped.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the FPS can be fixed just by adding an option to disable v-sync and AA? I know the original ZoE lacked AA, though ZoE2 did add it. Still, if it's not a low cost AA it might be an easy way to get the FPS closer to PS2's heights.
Ah that sucks, im guessing the game does indeed downscale. I really wouldnt mind a 480p, widescreen with AA versions of the games.

Just beat ZOE2 and got my S Ranking, yay! Overall I found that ZOE2 has a little more slow down than ZOE1 but nothing was ever game breaking. Even on the giant battlefield with hundreds of things happening it wasn't bad.

The framerate is only really terrible during the VR training; the normal attack moves send it down to, like, 5fps.

The only other slowdown that really bothered me was during the Anubis fights but even then, it wasn't that bad.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. The SOS missions seem alot easier on Hard

Feels like enemy squads are alot more aggressive in coming after me instead of attacking buildings when I'm in battle vs one.

Which is what I want.

Got A on first two in first two tries

Playing through ZOE2 now. Man I forgot how freaking amazing this game is. I need ZOE3, please, Kojima. PLEASE.

Also framerate issues, while a tad disappointing, were totally blown out of proportion by internet crybabies. The worst of it seems up front in the first boss fight. Most of the game its totally fine though.

Despera

Banned
Playing through ZOE2 now. Man I forgot how freaking amazing this game is. I need ZOE3, please, Kojima. PLEASE.

Also framerate issues, while a tad disappointing, were totally blown out of proportion by internet crybabies. The worst of it seems up front in the first boss fight. Most of the game its totally fine though.
Nothing's blown out of proportion. Humans are known to adapt. You basically got used to the shitty frame rate after a while.

SegaFanac

Neo Member
Well I don't normally do this, but somehow last night I played ZOE1 from start to end. I really enjoyed playing this game again.

I remembered from way back just wanting to buy a PS2 just to get ZOE... then Devil May Cry came out and bought both. I also remember almost not finishing the game because I couldn't get into the whole jumping from one place to the next, I got lost a few times, in that odd level/mission select.

Well I fired up ZOE1 on my PS2 slim (on component) and wow it is very pixelated, looks good but no where as clean as the HD collection on my PS3. I couldn't get over how clean and bright everything was in ZOE1.

High Voltage did a pretty good job.... my one gripe has been the ADA load sections of the game. When you get the black screen where the words ADA appear on the bottom, I noticed that it is not centered it is off to the left. Has anyone else also noticed this?

Its not so much of a big deal, considering the rest of the game looks great, and you really don't see it as often, but I do notice it.... I hope I am not the only one to have seen this.

Later today I will start my play on ZOE2.

So far I am really liking the collection, I love the Menu screen. They could have done so much more with the collection.. Such as including an artwork and music section on the disc, and it would be nice to have included ZOE: Idolo (the movie that explains the events before ZOE1). There could have been so much more done......

Anyways I love it so far.

Later I need to get PCSX set up so I could run ZOE on my laptop!

Skilletor

I love how people with expectations of an HD port (or anything for that matter) are "crybabies" or "whiners" just because they have expectations.

Glad you're enjoying the game. :)

I'll just replay through the version I already own instead of investing in something that didn't fix the issues I had with the original.

Roto13

Nothing's blown out of proportion. Humans are known to adapt. You basically got used to the shitty frame rate after a while.

If the infinite AB/BY debate has shown us anything, it's that nobody on the internet is capable of adapting to anything ever.

Sushigod7

PS3 Collectors Editions are back on Amazon if anyone was really wanting it. Don't be surprised if it's not in perfect shape when you get it, mine was crunched on two corners enough to damage the art book as well. But worth the gamble if you missed out.

Eusis

PS3 Collectors Editions are back on Amazon if anyone was really wanting it. Don't be surprised if it's not in perfect shape when you get it, mine was crunched on two corners enough to damage the art book as well. But worth the gamble if you missed out.
That ends up being a better reason for canning my Amazon pre-order than the FPS issue. Though the one I grabbed at GameStop was somewhat beat up too.

EDIT: And I went and looked at Amazon. The LE's supposed to be $60, not $80. It's definitely not worth $80, if you want it go check if a local GameStop has it in stock.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Just got my ZOE2 Platinum trophy. What a fun game. The hardest trophy was was the Vic Viper/Gradius EX Mission. I had a sliver of health left and I didn't have enough for a shield.

Sushigod7

That ends up being a better reason for canning my Amazon pre-order than the FPS issue. Though the one I grabbed at GameStop was somewhat beat up too.

EDIT: And I went and looked at Amazon. The LE's supposed to be $60, not $80. It's definitely not worth $80, if you want it go check if a local GameStop has it in stock.

That's a 3rd party selling it, still listed under the new section from Amazon in stock Nov 9th $59.99.

edit I agree not worth $80.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Continues: 1

Saves: 19

Difficulty: Hard

Play Time: 2hr18m30s

Enemies defeated: 435

Survivor rescue evaluation: AAAAA

Overall Evaluation: A

Death came from messing up getting Raptor kill trophy I forgot about on first run.

Easy Plat

Now to start ZoE2

.....eventually

SegaFanac

Neo Member
Well I answered my own question ala youtube video In the ADA load sequence I originally thought that the metatron energy lines were off centered, but they ar not. It appears that the ADA letters themselves are off to the left....

Also on my first play through I ended with a E rank on one of the missions, my guess is that I did something wrong or did not go for the mission. Oh and if anyone can give some pointers what is the best way to get an A rank?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, this collection is really a load of shit. I can't believe even ZOE1 suffers from framerate drops on PS3. That was one game which virtually NEVER dropped on PS2 (99.9% perfect 60 fps).

I will say that the clean design of ZOE1 actually holds up brilliantly at a higher resolution and, in some ways, looks nicer than ZOE2. Very impressive. It's just a shame it has performance drops.

This collection is really a mess and shouldn't have been released like this. These collections only exist to provide a superior updated version of an older game rendering an inferior collection such as this useless.

On the flip side I was really impressed with Metal Gear Rising. I don't know who was slamming the visuals but they were surprisingly nice and detailed for a 60 fps console game and certainly not ugly in any way.

I got this for the PS3 today... mostly hyped about playing the MGR demo a million times, such a bummer to hear that ZoE2 has framerate issues.... I heard that playing it in 720p helps, is this true?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Oh and if anyone can give some pointers what is the best way to get an A rank?

No civilian casualties and under 10% building damage.

You want to pick a spot with no buildings and try to lead enemies there to fight over

Always fight with height advantage so stray shots from enemies don't hit buildings below.

Prioritize Mummyheads>Raptors>Cyclops. Only the first two can do damage to buildings from stray shots in combat, so you want to take them out first.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Played a lot of ZOE1 Friday night along with the MGR demo. Man, I was in Otaku heaven. ZOE takes me back. :)

icespide

Banned
finished ZOE1 last night and started ZOE2. ZOE2 is so damn good holy shit! especially after just finishing the first one

SegaFanac

Neo Member
No civilian casualties and under 10% building damage.

You want to pick a spot with no buildings and try to lead enemies there to fight over

Always fight with height advantage so stray shots from enemies don't hit buildings below.

Prioritize Mummyheads>Raptors>Cyclops. Only the first two can do damage to buildings from stray shots in combat, so you want to take them out first.

Thanks! Will do on my second run after ZOE2.

Top Bottom