• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘I Stand With Ted’: A school board member who wore blackface wouldn’t resign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

‘I Stand With Ted': A school board member who wore blackface wouldn't resign. Now, he's praised.

blackface_board_membertedbonner.jpg

It was just a few months ago, as racist graffiti spread across U.S. campuses, that an Arkansas school board member's blackface Halloween costume became a symbol of racial outrage.

Ted Bonner, who sits on the school board in tiny Blevins, Ark., had dressed for a party in bib overalls and a straw hat, his face painted black and his lips bright red, recalling minstrel shows of the 19th century.

A photo of him holding a sign — ”Blak Lives Matters" — spread virally online.

At the time, Blevins school officials sounded as appalled as anyone. The superintendent said he was embarrassed, but couldn't fire an elected official.

Today, Bonner still sits on the school board — with a crowd of supporters, his name on a T-shirt and an award for ”Outstanding Board Member."

School let out early Monday, ABC affiliate KATV reported, for a school board meeting at which Bonner was given the training recognition.

The award itself is usually innocuous, and came about somewhat by accident. It's routine for board members who complete 25 hours of state-mandated training in classes for school finance, community relations and other basics.

”It's our fault," said Kristen Garner, an attorney for the Arkansas School Boards Association, which provides the training. ”I am fully aware of the irony."

”It's a small enameled lapel pin," she explained. ”We encourage the local district to present these to the board member, because it creates a nice photo op," she said. ”It was all generated and sent out before anyone had any idea."

Garner said she only realized who Bonner was when she saw coverage of Monday's meeting in the news.

As his blackface photos went viral in November, the Arkansas NAACP demanded that Bonner resign, as did many in town.

Angry residents filled the next school board meeting, at which Bonner gave a defensive apology, according to NBC affiliate KARK.

”I didn't know there was no such a thing as blackface," he said. ”They made a movie out of white chicks. What's the difference?"

Another board member, Carl McGill, told the crowd that his colleague needed to make another apology.

”I was going to ask . . . if he would be willing to stand in front of the whole school, the whole school in the gym, and apologize to everyone, the whole community," McGill said. ”I think he would."

Garner said the district hired a lawyer this week to help deal with the fallout.

”This continues to be a somewhat volatile situation," she said.

And it might continue to be.

If Bonner completes another 25 hours of training, he'll automatically receive the group's Master Board Member award.

”We will continue to put his name on a list and give him an award, as long as he's a school board member in the state of Arkansas," Garner said.

”We probably do need to think harder about how we can do a better job raising awareness of diversity."

A member of a school board who speaks like "”I didn't know there was no such a thing "

How could a person have so little cultural awareness they don't even know what blackface is, yet they remember the movie White Chicks

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
How could a person have so little cultural awareness they don't even know what blackface is, yet they remember the movie White Chicks

It's bullshit and the same kind of open faced lying these people always fall back on.

He made that costume, put on the make-up, and mocked BLM. Of course he knows exactly what he was doing.

Oh man, if Bish was still mod...this thread would be just as fun as the Zwarte Piet threads.

Holy fuck, and he pulled the White Chicks excuse too. Hardcore racism, man.

"I didn't know blackface was a thing!"

* uses a specific caricature of Black people that dates back to when blackface was more common *

L Thammy

Wait, so he didn't know what blackface was, but the overalls and straw hat were part of the costume?
He doesn't know that people used to wear blackface but he goes for the classic blackface ensemble instead of a more modern costume?

Alucrid

Banned
Wait, so he didn't know what blackface was, but the overalls and straw hat were part of the costume?
He doesn't know that people used to wear blackface but he goes for the classic blackface ensemble instead of a more modern costume?

why would you put it past a racist to also be a liar?

studyguy

I didn't know about black face but coincidentally painted my face black, lips red and posted up with a Black Lives Matter sign because I'm just that creative, came to me on the spot.

Slayven

They're all just economically anxious. We need to sit down and understand THEIR plight.

I am sure someone will come in and post a long article about it is about class and not race and we got to understand how rural people are suffering. It will be bullshit as usual.

So the lesson here, on top of "Blackface is bad white people what the hell is wrong with you" as always.

Is, "Man, fuck Damon Wayans".

Sounds like an unfortunate situation for the district to be in. They just gotta hope people are smart enough to vote him out next time he's up, which probably won't be likely.

I feel bad for laughing at how the awards worked.

Slayven

Sounds like an unfortunate situation for the district to be in. They just gotta hope people are smart enough to vote him out next time he's up, which probably won't be likely.

I feel bad for laughing at how the awards worked.

That is kinda of fucked up. Just show up and get a reward? Setting the bar low

Afrocious

They technically don't have to give him shit.

It's funny and messed up how people believe they're bound to systems so easily.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I guess the part that confuses me is that you mean to tell me there's no mechanism to fire an elected board member? No oversight of any kind ? The dude could just come to work with his dick out smoking a blunt and he still keep his job ? If he'd be let go for any of that then why wouldn't he be let go for this?

Next up, even if that were true and there really was no way to get rid of him, why then don't the remaining board members make it abundantly clear that they'll have no personal relationship and as little professional cooperation with him as their job allows? Why aren't they publicly denouncing him? If you're not doing that then you're ok with him.

Derwind

I love how the go to explanation for racist for situation of them getting exposed is "ignorance". It's brilliant and infuriating at the same time because they are dumb as shit to get caught, maybe they are socially & historically oblivious enough not to know that blackface is wrong....

And if this motherfucker is that stupid, why is he a member of a board charged with overseeing a institution designed to educated youth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom