• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘I Stand With Ted’: A school board member who wore blackface wouldn’t resign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's so overtly racist. I'm reminded of Chappelle's "goddamn, that is racist" bit. Like, everything about it is racist. He's not even excusing it by saying he's fine tuning his Song of the South cosplay or whatever the usual excuse is.

I didn't know about black face but coincidentally painted my face black, lips red and posted up with a Black Lives Matter sign because I'm just that creative, came to me on the spot.

Seriously, he has the BLM sign with this attire, so how could the school not know he was being racist? Damn idiots!

Slayven

I guess the part that confuses me is that you mean to tell me there's no mechanism to fire an elected board member? No oversight of any kind ? The dude could just come to work with his dick out smoking a blunt and he still keep his job ? If he'd be let go for any of that then why wouldn't he be let go for this?

Next up, even if that were true and there really was no way to get rid of him, why then don't the remaining board members make it abundantly clear that they'll have no personal relationship and as little professional cooperation with him as their job allows? Why aren't they publicly denouncing him? If you're not doing that then you're ok with him.

They don't care he just shitted on black people after all. I am sure there is a way to get him out of there, but that would require empathy.

That's not even one of those things you could spin as done for performing arts. That's easily the most blatantly racist thing I've seen in some time.

Cyan

Banned
Ted Bonner, who sits on the school board in tiny Blevins, Ark., had dressed for a party in bib overalls and a straw hat, his face painted black and his lips bright red, recalling minstrel shows of the 19th century.

A photo of him holding a sign — ”Blak Lives Matters" — spread virally online.
Yeah this is just straightforwardly racist. Even if you try to defend this with "but how was he supposed to know blackface was bad," the rest of it is still racist.

If this is a Public School, then he should be fired immediately because you can't keep a racist on a school board and create an uncomfortable environment for others to work and learn in.

Yeah this is just straightforwardly racist. Even if you try to defend this with "but how was he supposed to know blackface was bad," the rest of it is still racist.

Not just a little racist either. It's really racist before you even get to the blackface.

Matty77

I never thought I would live to see "the Wayans Defense" fuck.

That's some hardcore evil and racism, and the support he is getting, and then people wonder why they are looked down upon.

Strike

Bullshit. He knew what he was doing and if he somehow didn't he should still be fired just because no one that fucking dumb should ever be in a position of authority.

Time for a Black guy to join the school board, paint himself white, dress like a hillbilly, and hold a sign saying "wite lives madder."

People will be cool with that, right?

zeemumu

You don't know what blackface is...and you're on the school board...looks a little specific for someone who doesn't know what that is.

"I didn't know."

HSLuX.gif

That's hardcore racist. Let's dispel with the notion that he didn't know exactly what he was doing. Sadly this kind of thing is only going to become more and more a part of American public life over the next (hopefully only) four years.

NastyBook

Time for a Black guy to join the school board, paint himself white, dress like a hillbilly, and hold a sign saying "wite lives madder."

Gonna use this as a hashtag whenever a bigot goes on social media and gets their shit wrecked.

Mark L

They don't care he just shitted on black people after all. I am sure there is a way to get him out of there, but that would require empathy.

No one in his community gives two shits about the feelings of black people. All that economic anxiety, no doubt. And the worst is the "I didn't know this was wrong" defense. It's so fucking insulting. I'd say that's almost as insulting as the blackface itself except, y'know, it isn't.

Definitely not but you'd probably still get Bo Bice to cry about it.

Pretty much what I was going to say. It's not the same, but you can bet the same white people who are like "this is fine" would think a Black school board member mocking a white redneck was being "very irresponsible and insensitive."

Gonna use this as a hashtag whenever a bigot goes on social media and gets their shit wrecked.

You'll be doing God's work.

Better yet, a lot of these people think that the "other side" to BLM is Blue Lives Matter. So dress up like a cop with a pig mask and wear a sign that says "blu lives matter"

mcw

All right, other than being angry on a message board, what can we do about this? I do not live in Arkansas, but as a father and an American citizen I am concerned about any educator using the Internet to spread bigotry. Do you guys think it would be appropriate to send a letter to this effect to the school board over there, or is this none of my business?

Mark L

All right, other than being angry on a message board, what can we do about this? I do not live in Arkansas, but as a father and an American citizen I am concerned about any educator using the Internet to spread bigotry. Do you guys think it would be appropriate to send a letter to this effect to the school board over there, or is this none of my business?

It isn't none of your business in that we are all interconnected, but as a practical matter the school board is not likely to care much about an outsider's letter. Most of the time they won't care about an insider's letter either, but at least then you might be one of many.

If you read the article, the district wants him out, but they cannot do anything since he was democratically elected to the board.

Pay attention to your local school board elections if you want to learn something from this.

Mark L

So is this an "emboldened by the election" thing, or does this shit just happen all the time anyway? Black folks, I know there have been a lot of reports of increasing uses of blackface on twitter and shit, but do any PoC have any experiences on this issue to share? Is this becoming more normalized, or same old same old? Any impressions would be appreciated.

In addition to the staggering and disgusting racism on display here, the quote "I didn't know there was no such a thing as blackface" should be enough to permanently disqualify a person from serving on a school board, on the merits of its syntax.

Daingurse

Sigh . . . just blatant fucking racism. Sick of these racists pretending to be ignorant of their actions. Motherfuckers know better. They just don't give a shit abut black people, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom