• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

As far as dumb deaths go, the one at the end of this episode ranks extremely high, if not at the very top. How did she manage to get killed by two zombies on the ground wrapped in plastic?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Bieber died in the most retarded way imaginable, and then everyone acted as if she was never present to begin with. Cheap death, cheap episode as a whole.

Well they wouldn't exactly be much of a threat if they couldn't move.

Don't try to make sense out of it. The idea of how zombie operate was very flawed since beginning.

Having touched an actual dead body, zombies should be frozen solid.

I know I know. I'm excusing normal walkers cause they seem to have at least some meat/weight to them, but for burnt zombies it just looks off. Never crossed my mind with regular walkers, but the burnt ones I would not particularly fear.

She looks better as a blonde tho'

No.

jond76

Banned
It happens because this writing staff genuinely doesn't know how to create drama naturally.

We've seen that same setup a dozen times now. Someone suddenly drops their guard and runs on for reasons and finds themselves in a predicament.

You have to remember that the only person always seeing these things happen on the show is the viewer. We don't know the experiences of everyone new person that pops up. The only characters that we can be truly critical of is the main characters that we've spent so much time with.

That said, Blondie really did just lay down and take the loss. That's a problem with the choreography more than anything.

JTripper

AjYy3tr.jpg

She's actually only 19, I thought she looked a bit older on the show.

How is she 19 yet Beth (Emily Kinney) is 30!? The world doesn't make any sense.

Sadist

^ 19? The hell. Well, pictures sure can be deceiving.

As for the episode itself... wasn't very good. I love me some Daryl, but he was pretty damn wimpy. Fo shame. Did have a good chuckle with Abraham though. Him screaming to the zombie was funny (rocketlauncher son!) and him trying on the jacket was awesome. Everything else was meh.

Comic spoilers
im not sure that was Dwight . Unless it's pre burned Dwight I assumed the guy in blue was Dwight that's why they didn't show his face. Episode wasn't bad wasn't great. Don't know the Glenn angle they're going with but I only heard it once and it didn't sound like Glenn to me maybe it's Jesus after spotting Glenn

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Comic spoilers
im not sure that was Dwight . Unless it's pre burned Dwight I assumed the guy in blue was Dwight that's why they didn't show his face. Episode wasn't bad wasn't great. Don't know the Glenn angle they're going with but I only heard it once and it didn't sound like Glenn to me maybe it's Jesus after spotting Glenn

Pretty sure they called the guy in blue Wade.

dustyherb

Comic spoilers
Comic spoilers
its Dwight before he's got burned. This is probably why he gets the burn. Running away with one of Negan's wives. Guy in blue was named Wade and I'm guessing they didn't show is face because he has a burn just like Dwight will have. Trying to make us question if this is truly the saviors or not.

Comic spoilers
its Dwight before he's got burned. This is probably why he gets the burn. Running away with one of Negan's wives. Guy in blue was named Wade and I'm guessing they didn't show is face because he has a burn just like Dwight will have. Trying to make us question if this is truly the saviors or not.
Comic:
It also explains how Dwight got his crossbow

LQX

There was a lot of idiocy in this episode to the point it came off like slasher movie comedy like Daryl fucking struggling with a bag rather than running with it and pulling out the cross-bow.

Comic spoilers
i was thinking that also only because he looked just like Dwight

dustyherb

Comic:
It also explains how Dwight got his crossbow
Comic spoilers:
yep this episode was the perfect intro for Dwight. He's got his crossbow that will come back to kill one of our main characters just like Abraham from the comics. And they showed how he's a scumbag but at times can be a decent guy. Making it so the audience will never fully trust him even when he says he wants to help Rick take down Negan.

Last night was the first episode that I just about tuned out on. Now that I look back on it, the Morgan episode was pretty good, if not a bit too long.

Krixeus

As far as dumb deaths go, the one at the end of this episode ranks extremely high, if not at the very top. How did she manage to get killed by two zombies on the ground wrapped in plastic?

I think the more important question is how she managed to survive in that world for that long...

The drama when Daryl was struggling to get his crossbow out of his bag to kill a single walker was hilarious.

They could have changed that scene from the worst thing ever to the best by simply changing his attitude while it happened. Like if he wasn't scared at all but the crossbow was getting stuck in the back, and he was completely un-nervously trying to get it out as the zombie got closer and closer. Would have been a funny/cool scene that wouldn't be the complete opposite of his character

I shook my head when the girl fell on the walkers and got bitten. It was just pathetic. And yeah, Daryl could have killed that zombie with his toe lol.

Partition

Banned
They will show it at the mid season finale, it was pretty obvious the second that it happened. I was going to say they should kill characters and have the balls to not dwell on it like GoT, but then again cliffhangerssss s5 finale happened...

Lol TWD has no balls. They can pretend to kill Glenn twice for attention and ratings but they are clearly afraid to kill their actual main characters. It's glaring how two (maybe more?) people in Rick's group have died in the comics but will probably live forever. Hell I don't expect anyone in the main group to die till like the final season.

Comic spoilers
I don't think that was Dwight. The Saviors looked like Mad Max/Final Fight characters. These guys looked no different than Govs crew. Also we aren't done with the Wolves yet.

Comic spoilers
I don't think that was Dwight. The Saviors looked like Mad Max/Final Fight characters. These guys looked no different than Govs crew. Also we aren't done with the Wolves yet.
Maybe in the comics.
But they're going to have to tone it down/ground it for the show. No tiger, no cartoonish-ly vulgar Negan, no crazy Mad Max style outfits.

Partition

Banned
Maybe in the comics.
But they're going to have to tone it down/ground it for the show. No tiger, no cartoonish-ly vulgar Negan, no crazy Mad Max style outfits.

Makes me wish so much that HBO got the rights instead of AMC. All those things would be exactly the pizazz TWD needed.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Makes me wish so much that HBO got the rights instead of AMC. All those things would be exactly the pizazz TWD needed.

Not necessarily. For instance, HBO has gone a long way to make the world of Game of Thrones far more "realistic and grounded" than it is in the books.

border

Can somebody even explain to me what happened in that scene?

The zombies are covered in plastic. They start to move....the girl shoots up, but then falls back down. We hear the sound of shattering glass. Then the zombies don't have the plastic on at all, and they are chomping on the girl.

Where did the plastic disappear to? What was the glass-shattering sound?

Partition

Banned
Not necessarily. For instance, HBO has gone a long way to make the world of Game of Thrones far more "realistic and grounded" than it is in the books.

Yes I'm aware. It's still balanced by the amount of fantasy and lore in the series, whereas TWD tried too hard to be realistic whilst not even writing realistic dialogue and character actions. If TWD was on HBO it would at least allow a character like Negan to swear and realize his full comic potential. I don't think someone having
a zombie eating tiger
is really that unrealistic anyway, but it clearly won't happen because of budget reasons.

Man, they are really, really, really dragging out this Glenn thing.

I can't believe I sat through that episode and I only did it hoping we might get a Glenn clue of some kind...

Moofers

Just wanted to add to the chorus that the plastic zombie death near the end was some of the dumbest and laziest writing I've ever seen. I mean it was like Street Fighter the cartoon bad.

Otherwise I enjoyed the episode. I do find it kind of dumb that these people who ambushed them weren't able to kill even one of them. Not that I want the heroes to die, but I mean come on and just be smarter about the writing already. Its always just shy of being great. Every awesome thing this show does seems to be countered by some other really lame moment and God help me I still find it frustrating this many seasons in.

Also, I can't see how this Glenn teasing pays off. If he comes back as a zombie, its really going to be a letdown. If he comes back alive, I think the writing to explain how will be on the level of stupid as the girl who got eaten by zombies in plastic tarp. I don't have a lot of faith that they're going to pull it off in a satisfying way. But hey, hopefully I'm wrong. :)

Oh, and why would that couple take Daryl's bike and bow? That didn't make sense to me.

Partition

Banned
Personally I much prefer the grounded, more realistic take of the show. Show Gov was way better than over-the-top, obviously psycho comic Gov

They're messing with the wrong people!

I'm not saying the show needs to be comic booky, but it would definitely benefit from restrictions (swearing, budget) that would be removed if it were on HBO.

Can somebody even explain to me what happened in that scene?

The zombies are covered in plastic. They start to move....the girl shoots up, but then falls back down. We hear the sound of shattering glass. Then the zombies don't have the plastic on at all, and they are chomping on the girl.

Where did the plastic disappear to? What was the glass-shattering sound?

I got the impression that whatever happened with that fire was so hot that it melted a giant glass window or something over the zombies and when she walked on it it shattered maybe?.....I don't know that's the best explanation I could think of.

border

I got the impression that whatever happened with that fire was so hot that it melted a giant glass window or something over the zombies and when she walked on it it shattered maybe?.....I don't know that's the best explanation I could think of.

So the zombies were not wrapped in plastic, but were covered in melted glass?

Alright, I guess that kinda makes sense except for the fact that if you poured molten glass over two corpses it wouldn't form a breakable shell under which the bodies are completely intact.....it would just melt into their skin and burn them to a crisp. But whatever, I'll take it.

dustyherb

Maybe in the comics.
Comic spoilers
i wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet with what we are and aren't getting with the all out war storyline. It will no doubt be toned downed and grounded but Negan cussing once in a while is something that could definitely happen. And as for the tiger I had no idea what they will do but either they will figure out how to put her in there just a bit or maybe even replace with a big ass dog or something. They might not do the tiger at all but Gimple has been pretty damn good the last couple seasons trying to follow the comic books. I figure he will want to do All out war and the upcoming arcs just as much justice so we might be surprised with what they adapt from the comics and pull off in the coming seasons.

Don't know why you guys are speculating. Comic spoils:
the character is dwight. Norman reedus said so in his interview with IGN:

IGN: We don't know too much about the backstory of the characters who Daryl comes across, but with Negan having just been cast it's easy to jump to conclusions. What can you say about who these characters are and whether we will see them again later this season?

Reedus: I will say that there's never wasted screentime on this show. Scott [Gimple] has things that are plotted so far in advance. Every little detail is going to come back, pretty much, to the statue that I take from them to the voice on the walkie talkie -- every little thing that we do, even to the point of some of the things that Dwight says resonates and Daryl uses. Every single thing that we do comes back, all of it, every single time. Even the walker that I shot trying to get the crossbow out of that bag has a Cherokee Rose sticking on its back; it's a little Easter egg. Every single little thing comes back. I wouldn't be surprised if Scott knew that walker was going to have a Cherokee Rose way back when. He's kind of a mad genius like that.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yes I'm aware. It's still balanced by the amount of fantasy and lore in the series, whereas TWD tried too hard to be realistic whilst not even writing realistic dialogue and character actions. If TWD was on HBO it would at least allow a character like Negan to swear and realize his full comic potential. I don't think someone having
a zombie eating tiger
is really that unrealistic anyway, but it clearly won't happen because of budget reasons.

(Game of Thrones and Walking Dead comics)
I was talking about the actual world building aspects of Game of Thrones, and not the fantastical plot points like dragons, ice monsters, etc. The show has cut out all sorts of colorful and unique characters from the books and replaced them with more "realistic" characters, the same way that The Walking Dead has done in the past (The Governor). If HBO cut/changed Vargo Hoat, I don't see why they wouldn't also do the same with Negan, who is, by far, the more over the top character.

I mentioned this a couple days ago, but HBO has trouble putting CG-enlarged dogs (Direwolves) on screen next to their actors and have drastically reduced their screen time and importance to the plot even though they're a major part of the books. Being on HBO wouldn't guarantee The Walking Dead a tiger, just as being on AMC doesn't guarantee there won't be.

All I know is we got an RPG, ammo, and a fuel truck. SOME SHIT IS GOING DOWN. Either to distract the walkers on glenn or to fuck up the hoard at alexandria.

They're messing with the wrong people!

I'm not saying the show needs to be comic booky, but it would definitely benefit from restrictions (swearing, budget) that would be removed if it were on HBO.

I don't get why they did that.

Breaking bad had F bombs that were in the show but simply half masked so you don't hear the full word, but still with almost all the impact of the word.

mm04

All I know is we got an RPG, ammo, and a fuel truck. SOME SHIT IS GOING DOWN. Either to distract the walkers on glenn or to fuck up the hoard at alexandria.

This is pretty much the best part of the episode. It'll be cool when the launcher gets stolen/broken and Daryl concocts a crossbow out of wood and string and straight up fires off the RPG that way.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't get why they did that.

Breaking bad had F bombs that were in the show but simply half masked so you don't hear the full word, but still with almost all the impact of the word.

I think it has to do with the types of advertisers The Walking Dead attracts. TWD is a substantially bigger (and more mainstream) show than Breaking Bad was, and thus, attracts a larger variety of advertisers, many of whom don't want their brand/product associated with a show that uses 'Fuck'. (but they're okay with violence and gore, 'murca, etc. etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom