• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colocho

Banned
Well, if Glenn is alive it would be pretty fucking ridiculous I tell you what. Even if it is Nicholas that is being eaten, Glenn is surrounded by dozens of walkers flat on his back, no one is there to save him, it only takes one bite and he's gone, plus, they're gonna finish eating Nicholas at some point, so Glenn will be ripe for the picking within minutes. It'd be the most bullshit miraculous save in the history of television.

Well, if Glenn is alive it would be pretty fucking ridiculous I tell you what. Even if it is Nicholas that is being eaten, Glenn is surrounded by dozens of walkers flat on his back, no one is there to save him, it only takes one bite and he's gone, plus, they're gonna finish eating Nicholas at some point, so Glenn will be ripe for the picking within minutes. It'd be the most bullshit miraculous save in the history of television.

He's gonna crawl under the dumpster! That's my guess. If you look at the scene of his 'death', it's got enough space from the ground... and he's right next to it.

And that is what's actually worth debating. I hope he "survives" just so he can get a real death moments later 'cuz how the heck do you get out of that?! Plus that'd be the most wonderous troll...

IrishNinja

The sequence was specifically designed to manipulate the audience. It succeeded.

sure thing

alternatively? the obvious happened, and while the book is not an exact template for the show (clearly at this point), you really shouldn't make a habit of assuming the death of any major character is inherently a pump fake

He's gonna crawl under the dumpster! That's my guess. If you look at the scene of his 'death', it's got enough space from the ground... and he's right next to it.

god....
the only saving grace from this nonsense is if it does go that way, and then he still get's negan'd soon enough

Just saw the end of Talking Dead; the "night vision" shot of audience flipping out was amazing.
sure thing

alternatively? the obvious happened, and while the book is not an exact template for the show (clearly at this point), you really shouldn't make a habit of assuming the death of any major character is inherently a pump fake
I don't, generally, but in this case it seemed pretty clear to me. Obviously didn't seem that way to everyone, and that's why we watch this crap I guess.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Seemed pretty obvious to me that Glenn didn't die. The body fell on top of his, that's what they were eating. I don't think we've ever seen a somewhat ambiguous main character death outside of Laurie. With her, there was room to think that maybe Carl didn't actually shoot her. But I'm not the least bit worried about Glenn.

Great episode, I like how only about an hour of time has elapsed in this season so far.

Roussow

If Glenn is alive.
I think it would have been far more effective if they just showed it was clearly Nicholas getting eaten while Glenn was either under him, or under the dumpster. You cut to that overhead shot, you see Glenn's still pretty fucked, you leave it on a cliffhanger, it's still incredibly intense. The level of manipulation here is just too much, when the framing is not only vague, but completely dishonest, you've got a problem when conveying your scene.

Comic spoiler regarding Glenn's fate:
So who's Negan going to kill off in spectacular fashion? Daryl seem's like the most appropriate candidate. Also what's the bet that Maggie goes fucking crazy like Carol in the comic and gets herself eaten? That's a long shot of a parallel, but Christ, that woman has lost literally everything at this point.

The sequence was specifically designed to manipulate the audience. It succeeded.

And breaks all logic. He can't just show up. There are dozens of walkers packed shoulder to shoulder in an alley. Nicholas blew his brains out, he's not a walker, therefore the walker blood and guts get out of jail free card doesn't work. Glenn is under someone being eaten alive and we've seen multiple times walkers munch on the corpse for a long time. Glenn can't just fake his death and wait it out, sooner or later one of them is going to take a nibble out of Glenn even if he tries to play dead. Glenn can't fit under the dumpster because dumpsters aren't that high off the ground and it was a couple feet away, he couldn't sneak and squeeze under the dumpster without one of the 20 walkers right there not noticing him.

I'd love to see someone who says he's alive come up with even one plausible solution. He's dead.

And breaks all logic. He can't just show up. There are dozens of walkers packed shoulder to shoulder in an alley. Nicholas blew his brains out, he's not a walker, therefore the walker blood and guts get out of jail free card doesn't work. Glenn is under someone being eaten alive and we've seen multiple times walkers munch on the corpse for a long time. Glenn can't just fake his death and wait it out, sooner or later one of them is going to take a nibble out of Glenn even if he tries to play dead. Glenn can't fit under the dumpster because dumpsters aren't that high off the ground and it was a couple feet away, he couldn't sneak and squeeze under the dumpster without one of the 20 walkers right there not noticing him.

I'd love to see someone who says he's alive come up with even one plausible solution. He's dead.

He can live if the writers want him to live. Simple as that.

And because, as I pointed out two pages back, he's been on set for the last five months shooting scenes that take place after this episode. He was filming last week.

He's not dead. Anyone who believes otherwise was suckered in hook, line and sinker. The hand-wringing on Talking Dead was hilarious.

(Filming Spoilers)
It's being rumored/reported that Enid helps him in some way.

IrishNinja

wow, i mean

it's fine to let your denial create conspiracy theories, but condescending people who don't follow them is pretty silly

He can live if the writers want him to live. Simple as that.

And because, as I pointed out two pages back, he's been on set for the last five months shooting scenes that take place after this episode. He was filming last week.

He's not dead. Anyone who believes otherwise was suckered in hook, line and sinker.

And it's beyond fucking stupid if that's the reason.

He wouldn't be the first actor to show up on set and be photographed just to throw off fans. You think they'd want to ruin a true surprise by having super fans notice Glenn stopped showing up to the set after a few weeks? I don't think so. It would have sparked tons of "Steven Yeun hasn't been spotted on TWD set for weeks, is Glenn dead?" headlines and ruined the moment.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

*shrug* We'll keep watching the show to find out. The way the sequence was written just doesn't lead me to believe he is dead. Usually we get pretty clear indications when a main character is going to die. Look at Hershel, Tyrese, Andrea, Beth, etc. There is a lead up to it. Especially now, usually they have an entire episode focusing on their characterization. The death that Glenn got is something they've usually reserved for smaller characters and TV exclusive people. Also, him dying now means that we wouldn't get a reaction from Maggie until 2 maybe 3 episodes from now...maybe not ever since there wouldn't be a reason for them to even know he died. Only time they've done that is Sophia.

AND his piece of dialogue about giving them a signal if something goes wrong so they know he is alive really stood out.

But time will tell, we can revisit this when they have to do a rescue mission or he comes strolling through haha

And it's beyond fucking stupid if that's the reason.

He wouldn't be the first actor to show up on set and be photographed just to throw off fans. You think they'd want to ruin a true surprise by having super fans notice Glenn stopped showing up to the set after a few weeks? I don't think so. It would have sparked tons of "Steven Yeun hasn't been spotted on TWD set for weeks, is Glenn dead?" headlines and ruined the moment.

I'll repeat what I said two pages ago.

No way would they be randomly paying an actor for a half-year's worth of work if the character was dead. AMC is notoriously stingy with their money, and them paying an actor just to throw off a spoiler community would be really, really uncharacteristic. For instance, Scott Wilson only filmed one other scene as Hershel after his death scene. Yeun was seen filming scenes with characters the audience hasn't even seen yet.

No company is going to put that much effort into a fake-out like that. Besides, there were enough clues in the scene itself (and the reactions on Talking Dead) that he's still alive.

Palpable

I'll repeat what I said two pages ago.

No way would they be randomly paying an actor for a half-year's worth of work if the character was dead. AMC is notoriously stingy with their money, and them paying an actor just to throw off a spoiler community would be really, really uncharacteristic. For instance, Scott Wilson only filmed one other scene as Hershel after his death scene. Yeun was seen filming scenes with characters the audience hasn't even seen yet.

No company is going to put that much effort into a fake-out like that. Besides, there were enough clues in the scene itself (and the reactions on Talking Dead) that he's still alive.

At least tell me you're smart enough to realize there's no way in hell he'd be alive if it weren't for the writers wanting him to be alive.

IrishNinja

There is a lead up to it. Especially now, usually they have an entire episode focusing on their characterization. The death that Glenn got is something they've usually reserved for smaller characters and TV exclusive people

i kinda thought there was a slight lead-in: he was on about having to get back, there was the talk that he has a wife now, he then volunteers and i wanna say looks over stuff in his bag/etc, pausing for a moment before heading out...dude i was watching it with was like "oh man, he's doomed" and it kinda clicked, but of course i didn't buy that it'd go down

there was so much going on that they really may not've had more time for it (or at least not in a way that'd minimize the shock of the delivery) but the fact that no one will know about it until they seem him as a zombie or find something of his/there wasn't time for soliloquies really strikes me as an odd reason to believe it's somehow fake, personally

At least tell me you're smart enough to realize there's no way in hell he'd be alive if it weren't for the writers wanting him to be alive.

Yeah. The characters have plot armor when the situation demands it. Just look at this episode. 4 of the 5 character deaths are Alexandrian mauve shirts who get a bit of characterization before they die. Michonne and another guy are being grabbed at by walkers while climbing over a fence, and she's okay while the bigger and stronger guy gets pulled down and eaten.

You can lay it side-by-side with the walker eating Daryl's boot instead of chomping him in "Chupacabra" and Glenn miraculously emerging unscathed from the walkers that piled up on top of him in "Conquer".

LaNaranja

Michonne and another guy are being grabbed at by walkers while climbing over a fence, and she's okay while the bigger and stronger guy gets pulled down and eaten.

A few things. One, while the guy was definitely bigger, whether or not he was stronger than Michonne is incredibly debatable, although I am leaning towards "nah." Also, he was already bit, who knows how painful that was and how much it was effecting his movement / ability to climb. Third, the guy with the glasses was only shooting at the zombies on Michonne's side, which is what gave her the opportunity to climb up.

The way it was filmed when he was down "getting ripped apart" seem weirdly elevated. Plus I'm sure some of those body parts don't come out of the chest parts.

Roussow

True, but I still think it would have been a pretty weak way of killing a character that has been there since the start of the show.

You're super right. Honestly, whether he's alive or dead -- that scene was a low point this season, just because of it's misplaced ambiguity. The idea of Nicholas going out that way though, fine, even with Glenn there -- it's just Glenn's fate shouldn't have been the focal point of that scene.

Razmos

Glenn continues to have ridiculous god like plot armour. It's pretty much a running gag at this point that he's going to houdini himself out of a bad situation with no explanation given.

I actually want him to die at this point, even though he's a good character.

Also next weeks episode is 90 minutes of Morgan? how ridiculously boring. I think i'll just read a recap of that episode and save myself the boredom and frustration.

If Glenn lives then this show truly expects the viewers to be retarded.
We live in a society that circle jerked to Jurassic World so anything could happen.

With that being said it's actually quite easy to see how he could have survived. Plus there's some really interesting characters in the comicbook that could have helped him... maybe a tiger was hungry :)

Loakum

Banned
After seeing tonight's "Talking Dead"...I'm starting to have serious doubts (now) that Glen is dead. Glen didn't even get an memorial dedication.

raindoc

perfect!

Glenn continues to have ridiculous god like plot armour. It's pretty much a running gag at this point that he's going to houdini himself out of a bad situation with no explanation given.

It's not just Glenn. This is the Walking Dead. Sometimes people have incredible plot armor, sometimes people get eaten by sneak attack walkers from out of nowhere. 5 seasons in this remains (at max) borderline eye-roll worthy.

Also next weeks episode is 90 minutes of Morgan? how ridiculously boring. I think i'll just read a recap of that episode and save myself the boredom and frustration.

*rolls eyes*

I was kind of amused at how Michonne seemed upset with Rick's comment that they weren't all going to make it, and then a guy gets bit and dies literally like 15 seconds later.

I don't think Glenn is dead. It wasn't framed "right". I didn't look obvious it was his guts, the pain in his eyes didn't match and my mind went straight to he was on top of him. The angle was trying to mess with people. I don't know why they couldn't just do a pan up on showing him on top of him. It's still a dreadful situation to end the episode on.

Zombine

Banned
If Glenn is alive.
I think it would have been far more effective if they just showed it was clearly Nicholas getting eaten while Glenn was either under him, or under the dumpster. You cut to that overhead shot, you see Glenn's still pretty fucked, you leave it on a cliffhanger, it's still incredibly intense. The level of manipulation here is just too much, when the framing is not only vague, but completely dishonest, you've got a problem when conveying your scene.

Comic spoiler regarding Glenn's fate:
So who's Negan going to kill off in spectacular fashion? Daryl seem's like the most appropriate candidate. Also what's the bet that Maggie goes fucking crazy like Carol in the comic and gets herself eaten? That's a long shot of a parallel, but Christ, that woman has lost literally everything at this point.

I highly doubt that the second part comes true. If we are talking comic spoilers
she will use her experience and all of her misfortune to become a better leader of hilltop than Rick ever couple be of Alexandria. She's way too important at this point, and if you haven't noticed the show is sewing the seeds of her rise to power by having her become the "politician" and she's been starting to make more critical decisions with members of the group. She's going to become a badass
. Glen on the other hand? This psych out is really going to hurt some people if he actually
does die by Negan's hand at the beginning of next season

Razmos

It's not just Glenn. This is the Walking Dead. Sometimes people have incredible plot armor, sometimes people get eaten by sneak attack walkers from out of nowhere. 5 seasons in this remains (at max) borderline eye-roll worthy.
Pretty sure Glenn is the worst offender though.

*rolls eyes*
Morgan walking around for 90 minutes having philosophical conversations about peace and further fucking everything up is going to be so riveting.

Zaph

Just caught up, three great episodes in a row IMO, really impressed with this season.

If Glenn is dead or alive I'm good with it either way - (minor comic spoilers)
the writers know you-know-what is a huge will they/won't they question for comic readers, so I don't mind them fucking with us a bit and having some fun.
Only thing I'd like is for them to ease up on hammering home the point of weak people will always be weak. They've focused so much on the lame ducks of Alexandria and killed off the ones who actually have a spine without even naming them.

Also, Rick wall banging with an AK was perfect. Morgan predicted their deaths (minus the scope part) and they didn't even make it 30 minutes before getting Rick'd.

raindoc

Morgan walking around for 90 minutes having philosophical conversations about peace and further fucking everything up is going to be so riveting.

pretty sure this flashback episode is about him turning into zen-master M. i'm expecting quite some action tbh, at least in the earlier parts of the episode. hog-tying later on.

Roussow

I highly doubt that the second part comes true. If we are talking comic spoilers
she will use her experience and all of her misfortune to become a better leader of hilltop than Rick ever couple be of Alexandria. She's way too important at this point, and if you haven't noticed the show is sewing the seeds of her rise to power by having her become the "politician" and she's been starting to make more critical decisions with members of the group. She's going to become a badass
. Glen on the other hand? This psych out is really going to hurt some people if he actually
does die by Negan's hand at the beginning of next season

I kind of feel she's been sidelined the last few seasons, but I can see what you're saying, I guess they're building her back up -- I've kind of been waiting for someone to take Carols comic place, although I guess i'm looking in the wrong place for that. I do hope your hypothesized development comes to fruition. That could really pay off, Maggie's arc could then rival Carol and Ricks at that point. Glenn has to die for that to happen first though.

I just hope they don't milk Glenn's "death" for toooooo long. I figure they'll play it up for a good while though. Probably doesn't come back until 2-3 weeks from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom