• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
You see ograns coming out. People are just seeing what they want to see to make it seem like he's still alive.

Nicholas' organs. He fell directly on top of Glenn, but you don't see him after that.

You see ograns coming out. People are just seeing what they want to see to make it seem like he's still alive.

Intestines coming out of a man's upper torso.

Anyone who's arguing that he's dead clearly isn't aware of the other spoilery (filming) stuff at play. There's a reason why most people aren't buying it.

Glenn's head is completely exposed. We're supposed to believe that Nichola's body is somehow protecting Glenn's entire body from getting one bite surrounded by a horde? Come on.

you buying it or not is irrelevant to the fact that it is actually how its going to play out

KHarvey16

If those are Nicholas's organs the show cheated. Simple as that. It wasn't a hero move where a guy handcuffed to a chair fights and wins, it's just forcing perspective and playing tricks to fool the audience. It's cheap and totally unnecessary.

The "spoilers" are unconvincing and easily explained away as deliberate misdirection or more time shifting.

-griffy-

Banned
Glenn's head is completely exposed. We're supposed to believe that Nichola's body is somehow protecting Glenn's entire body from getting one bite surrounded by a horde? Come on.

That's just the bullshit way they shot and edited the scene. We are saying they are doing a disgustingly cheap fakeout, BECAUSE all logic would point to Glen being ripped apart, but all evidence seems to point to Glen inexplicably surviving.

If those are Nicholas's organs the show cheated. Simple as that. It wasn't a hero move where a guy handcuffed to a chair fights and wins, it's just forcing perspective and playing tricks to fool the audience. It's cheap and totally unnecessary.

The "spoilers" are unconvincing and easily explained away as deliberate misdirection or more time shifting.

except the show didn't cheat, it gave you the information to figure it out. They are using the perspective to mess with you, sure, but cheating would be having Glenn alone falling into a pit of walkers and showing organs being ripped out of him and finding out later there was another person on top of him.

Razmos

Definitely, the camera angles and everything was incredibly misleading on purpose.

If it had been any other character (except Daryll) I would probably be concerned anyway due to the circumstances, but the fact it is Houdini-Glenn makes me just roll my eyes, and I expect him to show up again at a later point with no explanation given as to how he escaped, as usual.

Yeah I have to agree with glenn living. To me his reactions seemed to be from fear and horror from the other guy being tore apart in front of him.

KHarvey16

except the show didn't cheat, it gave you the information to figure it out. They are using the perspective to mess with you, sure, but cheating would be having Glenn alone falling into a pit of walkers and showing organs being ripped out of him and finding out later there was another person on top of him.

Utter nonsense. Could you even type that with a straight face?

People are relying on outside information to draw their conclusions. Everything on film is clear and can only be cheating if it were "undone."

Not really.
He was seen on set last week (and for the last five months) shooting scenes from episodes 7, 9 and 11. We know that there is at least one scene coming up where he speaks with Abraham, Maggie and Jesus, and another with Jesus while walking on a road. No production company would pay an actor to hang around for five months on-set if he wasn't needed.

FartOfWar

Banned
Why Glenn isn't dead, and how the directors are taking a calculated risk in order to make something else sting more(some comic spoilers):

Glenn isn't dead, and the directors are depending on viewers then assuming that the character's plot armor is unassailable. They want you to feel the loss then the relief that he's out of the woods. At this point, you've convinced yourself he's unkillable (they did something similar to fuck with comic readers when Glenn had the bat to his head at Terminus). Maggie announces she's pregnant with Glenn's child. In the season finale Negan arrives and smashes Glenn's head in with Lucille. And they'd already convinced you Glenn was in the clear. Count on it.

-redacted-

Neo Member
I'm #TeamDead, I really hope he is. I love Glen's character, so don't get me wrong. I want Maggie to go looking for him and find him as a walker, driving her over the edge and really shifting even further to Rick's point of view. But his death leaves a huge hole for (sort of a comic spoiler)
Negan to bash Daryl's skull in
. Sorry I want no one to be safe, and the list of the unkillable is too long right now.

Also Rick's hand I think he'll take appropriate measures to prevent infection, and I don't mean he's going to put Neosporin on it. I think Rick will definitely survive the RV, somehow. I really hope they have that wolf that Morgan fought, as a prisoner in Alexandria. Because as it stands Rick probably assumes his loved ones are dead. I really want him to be able to interrogate that wolf.

Sure, but any of which that makes sense? Nah.
does it make sense for amc to keep it ambiguous? as I stated here, why make it unclear just to show later on that yes he is in fact dead? they should just set the record straight now.

does it make sense that talking dead kept him off the death montage? they did the same with martin last year despite tyreese saying that he beat him to death, only to find out he was alive and led the cannibals to the church

KHarvey16

Not really.
He was seen on set last week (and for the last five months) shooting scenes from episodes 7, 9 and 11. We know that there is at least one scene coming up where he speaks with Abraham, Maggie and Jesus. No production company would pay an actor to hang around for five months on-set if he wasn't needed.

Sure they would, and they already said his story wasn't over, but if he isn't dead they cheated and should be destroyed by fans for it. It's dumb and completely unnecessary.

War Eagle

The ending to that scene was shot and edited so that you never see Glenn's body bitten or torn apart, and then it just zooms out to show the horde. He'll be back, in some kind of miracle way, that may push the limits even for this show, but he'll be back.

He's going to roll under the dumpster. I think that is fairly obvious.

EDIT: This:

ExSw2Eg.png

FartOfWar

Banned
does it make sense for amc to keep it ambiguous? as I stated here, why make it unclear just to show later on that yes he is in fact dead? they should just set the record straight now.

does it make sense that talking dead kept him off the death montage? they did the same with martin last year despite tyreese saying that he beat him to death, only to find out he was alive and led the cannibals to the church

See my response. I'll put money on it.

Sure they would, and they already said his story wasn't over, but if he isn't dead they cheated and should be destroyed by fans for it. It's dumb and completely unnecessary.

About as dumb as Judith being alive after Rick and Carl saw the bloody carrier at the prison, Tyreese supposedly beating Martin to death or Glenn surviving the walkers that piled on top of him in "Conquer" and defeating them off-screen. There's also the fact that (filming spoilers)
Jesus hasn't been properly introduced to the show yet. No production company would pay an actor for months just to hang around set - it's a wasted expenditure for them, and unfair to the actor.

At a certain point, you just have to turn your brain off and roll with it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Utter nonsense. Could you even type that with a straight face?

People are relying on outside information to draw their conclusions. Everything on film is clear and can only be cheating if it were "undone."

I'm not relying on outside information. Glenn clearly states that he'll come up with a way to signal that he is alive if something goes wrong. WRITING ALERT: That means something will go wrong and Glenn will have to come up with a way to contact the group.

It's just like Michonne's conversation with Heath about being covered in blood. At that point you know that Heath is probably going to have that moment this season...and he did.

This show is fun, but it is rarely subtle. They even went out of their way to pair Glenn with someone that was disposable so he'd have an out. Nicholas could have drawn a map, but Glenn wanted him to come with. It concludes the arc their characters had, and it gives you a way to get Glenn out of that situation.

Without getting into too much detail, there's absolutely nothing about the on-set spoilers that are easily explained until or unless you come to realize that Glen isn't dead.

Absolutely not regarding the bolded. Not even a tiny chance.

I generally agree with the rest of what you're saying here, though I'm reserving final judgement until we see how they get him out of this in a couple of weeks.

Konka

Banned

Because it generates interest and ratings for the show?

Enco

1. Emotional music
2. BS camera angle that doesn't show the body, even though it looked like it fell on him
3. Screaming Glenn face like he's being eaten
4. Ridiculous situation that realistically shouldn't be survivable
5. Slow motion (I think?)

The scene was totally set up like the death of a main character.

1. Emotional music
2. BS camera angle that doesn't show the body, even though it looked like it fell on him
3. Screaming Glenn face like he's being eaten
4. Ridiculous situation that realistically shouldn't be survivable
5. Slow motion (I think?)

The scene was totally set up like the death of a main character.

Yes, but they didn't cheat. They didn't show you Glenn die only for him to come back to life in another episode. What they did was do everything in their power to make you think Glenn is dying, but they purposefully shot it in a way that it could easily Nicolas that is being ripped apart. Whether you think it is bad writing, or you think its impossible Glenn will be able to survive, or you are mad at the camera angle, all of that is fine, but they still didn't cheat. There is room within the information given on screen that could allow for his survival, despite how much you have to suspend your disbelief. But this is a show where zombies are heard from a mile away in one scene and then sneak up like ninjas the next so that the writers can get what they want.

KHarvey16

About as dumb as Judith being alive after Rick and Carl saw the bloody carrier at the prison, Tyreese supposedly beating Martin to death or Glenn surviving the walkers that piled on top of him in "Conquer" and defeating them off-screen. There's also the fact that (filming spoilers)
Jesus hasn't been properly introduced to the show yet. No production company would pay an actor for months just to hang around set - it's a wasted expenditure for them, and unfair to the actor.

At a certain point, you just have to turn your brain off and roll with it.

None of that was what happened to Glenn. Not even close. I'm fine if people want to think the show is doing this, but you can't justify it by saying they've done it before. It's bizarre to me that anyone could think it's the same.

Without getting into too much detail, there's absolutely nothing about the on-set spoilers that are easily explained until or unless you come to realize that Glen isn't dead.

I guess we'll see, but even knowing all of the details I have no trouble imagining sequences that account for those things and are more acceptable than him not being dead. I'm hopeful the show isn't going to stoop that low.

I think if the script called for Glenn to actually be torn apart by the horde, the director would've told him to express more pain than someone with a bad back who just fell down.

Yes, but they didn't cheat. They didn't show you Glenn die only for him to come back to life in another episode. What they did was do everything in their power to make you think Glenn is dying, but they purposefully shot it in a way that it could easily Nicolas that is being ripped apart. Whether you think it is bad writing, or you think its impossible Glenn will be able to survive, or you are mad at the camera angle, all of that is fine, but they still didn't cheat. There is room within the information given on screen that could allow for his survival, despite how much you have to suspend your disbelief. But this is a show where zombies are heard from a mile away in one scene and then sneak up like ninjas the next so that the writers can get what they want.
I think that's what he means by cheating. the showrunners are filming it purposely in a way to make you think it's something it's not. it's not an illusion, a hallucination, or happening offscreen, it is just being shot in a weird angle to deceive.

Konka

Banned
where is it?
not really, not if the character in question actually is dead. the reason we're having this discussion is because the popular opinion is that he's still alive.

That's exactly what I was responding to. You said why make it ambiguous and unclear. Well because that generates more interest than a clear death.

Why Glenn isn't dead, and how the directors are taking a calculated risk in order to make something else sting more(some comic spoilers):

Glenn isn't dead, and the directors are depending on viewers then assuming that the character's plot armor is unassailable. They want you to feel the loss then the relief that he's out of the woods. At this point, you've convinced yourself he's unkillable (they did something similar to fuck with comic readers when Glenn had the bat to his head at Terminus). Maggie announces she's pregnant with Glenn's child. In the season finale Negan arrives and smashes Glenn's head in with Lucille. And they'd already convinced you Glenn was in the clear. Count on it.
you could be right. i think glenn will get the death he's meant to have.

after that, hopefully,
steven yeun will get some movie deals coz non-black and non-white actors in lead roles are pretty scarce. and he's a pretty good actor.
That's exactly what I was responding to. You said why make it ambiguous and unclear. Well because that generates more interest than a clear death.
yes but I don't think anyone is interested in an ambiguous death of a main character if the character actually is dead. that sort of suspense doesn't inherently accomplish anything if the character's arc ends there.

SamuraiX-

I don't have a problem with Glenn still being alive. We've seen for multiple seasons that zombies can be single track minded when they're eating, and not even notice another living person right next to them. Characters can walk right up to a feasting zombie and most of the time they don't do anything. So it would not be a huge stretch of the imagination for me to learn that Glenn was able to get under the dumpster just before his corpse shield was fully consumed.

Now do I like how they handled that scene? No. It's kind of lame using that weird camera perspective to fake us out. It was such an odd angle that it should have raised red flags for viewers that something was off, especially for a show that seems to take pleasure in showing character deaths in clear, gruesome, gory detail. The body that was being ripped apart did not match up with Glenn's head, neither did the location of the intestines. The zombies pulled the intestines from just under Glenn's upper left shoulder lol.

A very good point you make in your first paragraph. I guess that would work for me depending on how they film his escape. I agree with everything else you say too.

I think that's what he means by cheating. the showrunners are filming it purposely in a way to make you think it's something it's not. it's not an illusion, a hallucination, or happening offscreen, it is just being shot in a weird angle to deceive.

yes, but my point is that that isn't cheating, because they don't present it in a way that is counter to what is actually happening. As I said before, they gave you the information in this scene where if it is revealed that its Nicholas being ripped apart, you can't say it's not possible.

jesu

He's dead Jim.

I love Glen, in the beginning I saw a little bit of myself in him. That made him one of my favorites. However, I want him to be dead. For the simple reason that I beleive the people who make this show shouldnt feel like they can lie about something as serious as this. If they want to own this moment of saddness, outrage, controversey, etc then it has to be real

yes, but my point is that that isn't cheating, because they don't present it in a way that is counter to what is actually happening. As I said before, they gave you the information in this scene where if it is revealed that its Nicholas being ripped apart, you can't say it's not possible.
the fourth wall of the show (which would be the cameramen) could've filmed shots of nicholas's body getting eaten if that's what's happening. I see what you're saying though.

None of that was what happened to Glenn. Not even close. I'm fine if people want to think the show is doing this, but you can't justify it by saying they've done it before. It's bizarre to me that anyone could think it's the same.

I can only assume you haven't been watching the show very long. Having the audience believe a character is dead because of unclear/unrevealed information has happened multiple times on this show, and it's always spoiled by Talking Dead.

Make no mistake, everything you saw last night was crafted for maximum emotional manipulation.

jett

D-Member
Well that sure sucked for Glenn.

Not exactly sure what they were trying to do the entire episode. At all. Were they trying to reunite the herd, somehow?

KHarvey16

I can only assume you haven't been watching the show very long. Having the audience believe a character is dead because of unclear/unrevealed information has happened multiple times on this show, and it's always spoiled by Talking Dead.

Make no mistake, everything you saw last night was crafted for maximum emotional manipulation.

Have watched from the beginning. Never seen someone's guts ripped out only to have it revealed later that, "teehee, we pointed the camera in such a way that you got fooled!"

eldudebro

Yeah, If Glenn survived that, then it's the jump the shark moment for me from this show.

There is no way he is getting out of that. All those walkers and not one is going to pay attention to him? He isn't quite covered head to toe in walkers entrails to throw them off is he.

Have watched from the beginning. Never seen someone's guts ripped out only to have it revealed later that, "teehee, we pointed the camera in such a way that you got fooled!"

The deliberately-obtuse camera angle is new, I'll give you that, but claiming that you haven't seen someone being claimed as dead and then being revealed to be alive is incorrect. It's not a new thing in this series.

If anything, I wish they'd cut out Talking Dead for big "wham episodes" like this, because it ruined the surprise. Having a therapist show up on Talking Dead, Chris Hardwick handwringing over it constantly, the fact that Glenn doesn't appear in the death montage, Yeun not appearing on the show as a special guest, etc.

Meier

I didn't re-watch the end, but people on TV Line comments section swore that he was sliding under the dumpster as the scene ended. I call BS on him living, but I'd of course be glad if he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom