• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The deliberately-obtuse camera angle is new, I'll give you that, but claiming that you haven't seen someone being claimed as dead and then being revealed to be alive is incorrect. It's not a new thing in this series.

If anything, I wish they'd cut out Talking Dead for big "wham episodes" like this, because it ruined the surprise. Having a therapist show up on Talking Dead, Chris Hardwick handwringing over it constantly, the fact that Glenn doesn't appear in the death montage, Yeun not appearing on the show as a special guest, etc.
that doesn't mean much imo. nicholas's actor didn't show up either (although if he did he'd probably get bombarded with questions). carter's character was also minor but his actor showed up on talking dead.

Konka

Banned
The deliberately-obtuse camera angle is new, I'll give you that, but claiming that you haven't seen someone being claimed as dead and then being revealed to be alive is incorrect. It's not a new thing in this series.

If anything, I wish they'd cut out Talking Dead for big "wham episodes" like this, because it ruined the surprise. Having a therapist show up on Talking Dead, Chris Hardwick handwringing over it constantly, the fact that Glenn doesn't appear in the death montage, Yeun not appearing on the show as a special guest, etc.

If they wanted to leave us in suspense and Nicholas body being the key too possible survival they should have panned out and shown the body on Glenn and then leave the scene, at least show what is supposed to be his possible escape route. Not being on Talking Dead could be because he comes back as a walker in a few episodes and maybe maggie has to kill him and they'll wait till then.

stufte

I think he's alive, but they're going to have to have a pretty good explanation of how he is getting the fuck out of it.

Have watched from the beginning. Never seen someone's guts ripped out only to have it revealed later that, "teehee, we pointed the camera in such a way that you got fooled!"

Watch the scene again. No blood from the mouth, he's still somehow screaming even with organs gone, intestines don't come from the chest. And whatever is being ripped open is WAY too high, you can see that when he lifts his head up and the chin doesn't get higher than the rent flesh.

therapist

Idk i think he might be alive too.

Obviously that wasnt him being ripped up...but i mean how would he get out of that

If he is alive , i have a feeling their explanation is gonna be pretty weak

Thought Nicholas would at least redeem himself, jump to the side between the walkers and Glenn escapes running up that fire escape somehow while they are distracted. But no, dude has to off himself and even fails in falling down right.

that doesn't mean much imo. nicholas's actor didn't show up either (although if he did he'd probably get bombarded with questions). carter's character was also minor but his actor showed up on talking dead.

Not really. Most of the major characters who've died on the series get a guest spot afterwards on Talking Dead - it's basically a rite of passage at this point. We've been spoiled by the format, because we know when something big's going to happen.

Ethan Embry is a fairly well-known actor who most people thought was going to play a longer role than it ended up being.

If they wanted to leave us in suspense and Nicholas body being the key too possible survival they should have panned out and shown the body on Glenn and then leave the scene, at least show what is supposed to be his possible escape route. Not being on Talking Dead could be because he comes back as a walker in a few episodes and maybe maggie has to kill him and they'll wait till then.

If the walkers ate him, there's nothing left. Not in a horde that size. There's also other evidence, but like I said before, it's getting into real spoilery territory. I agree, though, that the scene as presented is manipulative in the extreme.

Razmos

I didn't re-watch the end, but people on TV Line comments section swore that he was sliding under the dumpster as the scene ended. I call BS on him living, but I'd of course be glad if he did.
I thought I noticed it too (I spoiled myself reading this thread first before watching it), I think you can see his face, he seems to move upwards under the dumpster, and then walkers start to cover where his face just was, as if they noticed him and started reaching for him.

KHarvey16

Only "claimed" as, or more accurately thought to be, dead by characters in the show. We as viewers were never tricked into believing any of them were dead by sneaky camera angles or cheating. An empty baby carrier with blood truly is ambiguous, but a character represented as having his guts ripped out is only ambiguous if you allow for being intentionally deceived as a viewer.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to say the show cannot possibly be doing this, but what I am saying is it would be shitty and I'd be pretty disappointed. It's silly.

Finalow

Glenn cannot have survived that, its IMPOSSIBLE
impossible? Not at all, this show is written by monkeys. should be common knowledge by now!
I mean, we're only 3 episodes in this season and TWD is already back to being dumb as fuck. this episode was literally 40 minutes of ''glenn's group'' becoming brain-dead after Rick leaves. glenn and his new boyfriend end up being trapped in the middle of a city/forest, then the rest of the "who's this guy again?" characters proceed to die because they have to.

at least Rick the Terminator was fun to watch at the end.

They thought people wouldn't see past the fakeness of it, I guess.

Probably thought when Glen came back, the audience would be more relieved than anything.

They should have just cut away from them on top of the dumpster, and in a future episode have them be searching for Glen and come across his back with the watch and such in it, and a scene of a bunch of burned walkers (from the flair gun) and everyone thinks he died in the fire with them.

A bit like lord of the rings, but whatever.

Eeeeeyy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvGopsM1G9g

The point in a show where the writers do something so dumb it basically indicates the point where the show is basically doomed.

I don't think the phrase is even remotely applicable here.
lol, I don't think the show is doomed but this isn't a good idea either way, imo. the thing with rick is a cliffhanger enough, we don't need to be kept on our toes about glenn either. if he's dead, then just show it.
Not really. Most of the major characters who've died on the series get a guest spot afterwards on Talking Dead - it's basically a rite of passage at this point. We've been spoiled by the format, because we know when something big's going to happen.

Ethan Embry is a fairly well-known actor who most people thought was going to play a longer role than it ended up being.

If the walkers ate him, there's nothing left. Not in a horde that size. There's also other evidence, but like I said before, it's getting into real spoilery territory. I agree, though, that the scene as presented is manipulative in the extreme.
most, but not all, yeah? i have noticed that it happens with a lot of them but cast members also show up when they're characters still alive as well. I dunno, I don't think it means much

gabbo

I thought I noticed it too (I spoiled myself reading this thread first before watching it), I think you can see his face, he seems to move upwards under the dumpster, and then walkers start to cover where his face just was, as if they noticed him and started reaching for him.

Yeah, I noticed that too. His face is and chest (or where they are moments earlier in frame) are clearly obscured to make it seem like they'r closing in, but the zombies never get any closer.

Razmos

impossible? Not at all, this show is written by monkeys. should be common knowledge by now!
I mean, we're only 3 episodes in this season and TWD is already back to being dumb as fuck. this episode was literally 40 minutes of ''glenn's group'' becoming brain-dead after Rick leaves. glenn and his new boyfriend end up being trapped in the middle of a city/forest, then the rest of the "who's this guy again?" characters proceed to die because they have to.

at least Rick the Terminator was fun to watch at the end.
Yeah, all Glenn speculation aside I thought this episode was terrible, just not interesting at all. The red shirts were either ridiculously badly written or doomed to die simply because they WERE written.

There was the exciting saga of Daryll riding away and then riding back. I still don't know what that was about.
Michonne leading the useless chucklefucks to safety and all of this having 0 tension because you only care about Michonne and you know she isn't going to die.
Glenn and Nicholas going somewhere for reasons and the only actual tense part of the episode being ruined by the writing totally foreshadowing everything and making it so ambiguous it was obvious he was going to survive.

It was just a bad episode all around, it didn't move the plot at all and didn't work as a scary or tense episode either.

.hacked

Sure Glen is dead, defiantly not him behind Jesus in this leaked set pic:
5yecebI.jpg

Bandit1

i wish I knew what this "shark" phrase meant

Eeeeeyy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvGopsM1G9g

The point in a show where the writers do something so dumb it basically indicates the point where the show is basically doomed.

I don't think the phrase is even remotely applicable here.

Alternatively there is the term "nuking the fridge" from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Indiana Jones inadvertently finds himself in the middle of a fake town that's about to be the site of a nuclear bomb test. He climbs in a lead-lined refridgerator and the bomb goes off, blowing the fridge about a mile away. The fridge slides to a stop, the door pops open and Indiana Jones crawls out unscathed.

-redacted-

Neo Member

Umm I'm pretty sure Yvette Nicole Brown is an actress from the show Community not a licensed therapist. This is the second time I've seen someone post this, Hardwick meant that to be a joke not to be taken literally.

An empty baby carrier with blood truly is ambiguous, but a character represented as having his guts ripped out is only ambiguous if you allow for being intentionally deceived as a viewer.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to say the show cannot possibly be doing this, but what I am saying is it would be shitty and I'd be pretty disappointed. It's silly.

In the case of Judith, both the audience (barring the split-second shot of Tyreese running out of a building holding her in his arms) and Rick/Carl believed Judith was dead. Aside from that, everyone pretty much assumed that was the case until the next half-season. It's the same thing here - it was shot in such a way (manipulative camera angle aside) that you can genuinely believe the character is dead, but there's an out for them in some way, shape or form. I know they've been trying to shake things up this season (more proactve minor characters, two separate plots going on at the same time, the pseudo real-time Wolf attack), and this would just be one more function of that.

And yes, it's silly and absurd, but between all the spoilers and manipulative plotting/editing, his survival is more-or-less confirmed.

Umm I'm pretty sure Yvette Nicole Brown is an actress from the show Community not a licensed therapist. This is the second time I've seen someone post this, Hardwick meant that to be a joke not to be taken literally.

Frankly, I was too pissed off by the scene (and the episode) to notice.

KHarvey16

In the case of Judith, both the audience (barring the split-second shot of Tyreese running out of a building holding her in his arms) and Rick/Carl believed Judith was dead. Aside from that, everyone pretty much assumed that was the case until the next season. It's the same thing here - it was shot in such a way (manipulative camera angle aside) that you can genuinely believe the character is dead, but there's an out for them in some way, shape or form. I know they've been trying to shake things up this season (more proactve minor characters, two separate plots going on at the same time, the pseudo real-time Wolf attack), and this would just be one more function of that.

And yes, it's silly and absurd, but between all the spoilers and manipulative plotting/editing, his survival is more-or-less confirmed.

I definitely did not think Judith was dead, and regardless showing an empty carrier like that is not even on the same planet as showing Glenn getting his guts ripped out. C'mon.

I definitely did not think Judith was dead, and regardless showing an empty carrier like that is not even on the same planet as showing Glenn getting his guts ripped out. C'mon.

The general audience did think she was dead, and that's really the only thing AMC/the producers care about. Like I said before, the whims of a spoiler community are irrelevant because the public is crying about Glenn's supposed death. AMC won.

In your case, you're still in denial over what you saw last night. Give it a few days. You'll come around like I did.

Even in the worst case scenario... Glenn lives, some bullshit escape... I'll probably still watch just because
No Way Out guaranteed to happen this season

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think it's a testament to TWD's poor writing that so many folks are still unsure about Glenn's apparent demise.

I thought the episode was pretty damn good, but it's hard to remove from our collective memory nearly five seasons of garbage-tier storytelling.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Which is odd because Judith dying there would have fit the show more than Glenn dying here. They're not going to show a baby getting eaten, so if the show ever did kill her off, it would probably look like that.

They show the guy falling directly on top of Glenn. I'm just surprised so many people actually think he died here.

But hey, at least it got a good discussion going. And I have to give The Walking Dead team credit, we're three episodes in and they haven't taken their foot off the gas pedal yet. They really were serious about this season just being nonstop. Although
I kinda expect next week's Morgan focused episode to slow it down a bit. We'll see.

bill0527

If Glenn is alive then its the beginning of the end for this show.

You can mark that point as being when the show officially jumped the shark and it'll all be downhill from here.

The sad thing is, there was no real reason for ambiguity in something like that other than to just troll and fuck with TWD's audience.

So here's a pre-emptive Fuck You Scott Gimple just in case they try to pull some bullshit scenario where Glenn survived that.

KHarvey16

The general audience did think she was dead, and that's really the only thing AMC/the producers care about. Like I said before, the whims of a spoiler community are irrelevant because the public is crying about Glenn's supposed death. AMC won.

In your case, you're still in denial over what you saw last night. Give it a few days. You'll come around like I did.

It's unfathomable to me that you are seriously comparing an empty baby carrier to a guy being ripped apart on camera. I would also dispute "most" people believing Judith was dead. I certainly didn't and I know I wasn't alone.

Which is odd because Judith dying there would have fit the show more than Glenn dying here. They're not going to show a baby getting eaten, so if the show ever did kill her off, it would probably look like that.

They show the guy falling directly on top of Glenn. I'm just surprised so many people actually think he died here.

But hey, at least it got a good discussion going. And I have to give The Walking Dead team credit, we're three episodes in and they haven't taken their foot off the gas pedal yet. They really were serious about this season just being nonstop. Although
I kinda expect next week's Morgan focused episode to slow it down a bit. We'll see.

They didn't show him falling directly on glenn. And if he did fall directly on glenn, that camera angle makes even less sense.

Well, that pretty much confirms it. Wow. Well, that "death" scene was fucking ridiculous then. Relying on a camera angle to deceive the audience is pretty much breaking the fourth wall.

FartOfWar

Banned
5yecebI.jpg

What are they doing with Morgan? Why did they kill Tyrese just to bring his character (principled and respectful of life) back in the form of Morgan who differs only in his martial arts. I liked Tyrese. Now they're adding Jesus to the mix who is supposed to be the martial artist. Reshuffling the same deck of trope characters here.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It's unfathomable to me that you are seriously comparing an empty baby carrier to a guy being ripped apart on camera. I would also dispute "most" people believing Judith was dead. I certainly didn't and I know I wasn't alone.

They didn't show him falling directly on glenn. And if he did fall directly on glenn, that camera angle makes even less sense.

Watch when Nicholas shoots himself and brings Glenn down. They literally show him falling on top of Glenn. Based off their fall, Nicholas would be right on top of Glenn's body.

I would say that Nicholas' torso is covering Glenn's upperbody. I mean...it isn't some wild stretch. The entire reason Glenn falls is because Nicholas' dead body falls on him haha

What are they doing with Morgan? Why did they kill Tyrese just to bring his character (principled and respectful of life) back in the form of Morgan who differs only in his martial arts. I liked Tyrese. Now they're adding Jesus to the mix who is supposed to be the martial artist. Reshuffling the same deck of trope characters here.
I don't see Tyrese as the same character as Morgan at all. Ty was more depressed and unable to accept the world as it is. Morgan has accepted the world and understands it and has gone through a lot. He just believes he is walking a higher path. I see it as two completely different personality types. Ty was a victim. Morgan is not.

Razmos

I'd personally love it if the GIF posted earlier of Maggie and Aaron wandering around sewers is them looking for Glenn, but they end up being too late and finding him zombified or dying, ala Sophia or Andrea. Just to prove that everyones luck runs out eventually and just because you got away doesn't mean you are safe.

But of course that isn't going to happen and Glenn is going to get out of this without a damn scratch.

Most of the conversation is, understandably, focused on Glenn's fate.

That said, there seemed to be some ambiguity surrounding Rick's and Michonne's injuries as well. Regarding Rick's hand injury, I honestly think I just forgot something from the previous episode - what's going on there? Michonne, on the other hand, genuinely appears to have been bit at some point, no?

That said, there seemed to be some ambiguity regarding Rick's and Michonne's injuries as well. Regarding Rick's hand injury, I honestly think I just forgot something from the previous episode - what's going on there? Michonne, on the other hand, genuinely appears to have been bit at some point, no?

I thought Rick cut his hand when his knife broke. I wasnt sure if he got bit. Michonne though? When did she get bit?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

That said, there seemed to be some ambiguity surrounding Rick's and Michonne's injuries as well. Regarding Rick's hand injury, I honestly think I just forgot something from the previous episode - what's going on there? Michonne, on the other hand, genuinely appears to have been bit at some point, no?
Rick cut his hand on a machete that was stuck in a walker's shoulder, or when his knife broke. No clue what you're referring to with Michonne..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom