• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Count me as one who enjoyed the episode. Nothing mindblowing, but nice to get a good character development episode once in a while. It definitely makes Morgan's current attitude toward things less annoying.

I wonder if they are going to switch
Glenn and Maggie's storys from the comics. Like have her be the one that meets Negan's bat. She goes out to try and find Glenn and gets cought while Glenn makes his way back to Alexandria

Do people actually like Morgan? He's a more capable but just as dumb and more importantly dangerous character like Carl.

Him letting the W people with a gun last week (who then tried using it on Rick)... like how dumb can you get? We're 6 seasons in, he's actively putting people in danger by letting these people go.

From the other page but I'm just going to say I like Morgan because not everyone can be so sure that the right thing to do is to kill people you don't like. I personally dislike it that you guys are always so quick to say it is ok to kill EVERYONE you don't like. I mean certain people like the guys at Terminus just had to go but the wolves have shown, so far anyway, to just be scavengers that weren't even a problem for Rick to take out single handedly.

Anyway I like Morgan, call me crazy but I like all the current characters on the show. Any even though the last episode didn't need to be 90 fucking minutes, I liked what it was trying to show. Point is if I had to grade it I would give it a C+, not the worst episode in the series that's for damn sure.

Red Mage

From the other page but I'm just going to say I like Morgan because not everyone can be so sure that the right thing to do is to kill people you don't like. I personally dislike it that you guys are always so quick to say it is ok to kill EVERYONE you don't like. I mean certain people like the guys at Terminus just had to go but the wolves have shown, so far anyway, to just be scavengers that weren't even a problem for Rick to take out single handedly.

Anyway I like Morgan, call me crazy but I like all the current characters on the show. Any even though the last episode didn't need to be 90 fucking minutes, I liked what it was trying to show. Point is if I had to grade it I would give it a C+, not the worst episode in the series that's for damn sure.

I think people dislike Morgan because he keeps doing stupid things that can/almost do get people killed. i.e. letting them take that gun, keeping a dying wolf locked up and not telling everyone, etc.

Javier

What does "Here's not here" even mean?
I'm not sure, but I know it's name-dropped twice in the episode. First, as a written message in blood in Morgan's bunker near the beginning, and later after Eastman is bitten, Morgan yells "I said not here!" and Eastman replies "Well that's the thing, Morgan. Here's not here."

As for Glenn, I'm in the "He's dead" camp. Mainly because if he's actually alive it would be a ridiculous level of troll.

In the face of heavy competition, the Morgan-centric edition of "The Walking Dead" enjoyed ratings growth.

Despite facing competition from a high-profile football game and the deciding game of the MLB World Series, AMC’s “The Walking Dead” once again enjoyed week-over-week gains in adults 18-49 and total viewership.

Sunday’s 90-minute episode posted a 6.78 adults 18-49 rating with 13.339 million total viewers. Both numbers top those of last week’s broadcast, which scored a 6.69 with 13.143 million viewers.

This week’s episode had two things working in its favor. While it did not directly confront what happened, it surely benefited from buzz over last week’s action-packed installment. Among other major developments, last week’s episode featured the potential death of Glenn.

This week’s episode also derived special appeal by focusing specifically on Lennie James’ Morgan — and the events that preceded his arrival in Alexandria. Lennie James’ work as Morgan is universally considered a highlight of AMC’s drama.

http://headlineplanet.com/home/2015...king-dead-rises-for-morgan-flashback-episode/

Chopper

I'm not sure, but I know it's name-dropped twice in the episode. First, as a written message in blood in Morgan's bunker near the beginning, and later after Eastman is bitten, Morgan yells "I said not here!" and Eastman replies "Well that's the thing, Morgan. Here's not here."
Yeah. And it was the name of the episode. I didn't get any sense of impact from Eastman's line, because it's nonsense.

Also scrawled on the walls in Morgan's room in the opening

You're not here
Here's not here

Ramblings of a traumatized mad man is what it is

I wonder why Michonne & co. didn't release the guy that was being eaten against the fence out of his mesery by stabbin him in the head, it was easily doable. It's not like the walkers would stop eating him. Stuff like this gets me now more than ever for some reason.

brodkil

Neo Member
I think "Here's not here" is referring to Morgan's state of mind.

Eastman talked about a room with a door that Morgan goes through, but he continually regresses & finds himself back in that room. He feels like he can never escape, so that's why he says "Here's not here". Eastman saying "you're not here" is him basically saying that Morgan HAS escaped the room.

Moofers

I wonder why Michonne & co. didn't release the guy that was being eaten against the fence out of his mesery by stabbin him in the head, it was easily doable. It's not like the walkers would stop eating him. Stuff like this gets me now more than ever for some reason.
Its the kind of moment certain people in the audience live for. If somebody doesnt die a horrible and often pointless death every few episodes, they start crying about how its been "so slow!", etc.

Fangoria issues only hit the mailbox once a month so they gotta jack it to something else in the meantime.

Yeah, they just stood there and watched. I was waiting for Michonne to stab him in the head

Revolver

I liked this episode. John Caroll Lynch and Lennie James were really great together. RIP Tabitha, you were my favorite character so far this season. May you chew on all the tin cans in heaven your heart desires.

Floex

I have one word for this episode:

Why.

Every single time this show attempts to either be artsy, deep, or worse, both, it becomes dreadfully boring. Ninety minutes of this, too.

This show is at its best when it embraces its inherent trashy self.

Could not disagree more. The more trashier it gets the boring it becomes. I'd go so far to say that was probably one of the best episodes in the show. Really brought home why Morgan has become what he has.

After initially thinking 'I'm not liking this new Morgan', complete reversal. This show has some terrible writing but the stars aligned for this one. Also goes to show what happens when you put two good actors on screen together. The amount of dodgy actors in this show was getting tiring.

Revolver

Was Tabitha in the Talking Dead montage?

I think she was right before Eastman. I was ready to hate Morgan if he didn't go out and help her. I'm glad her death happened offscreen. I wish TWD writers weren't such assholes when it comes to animals. It would have been nice if she'd lived and Morgan could have left her and the cabin to the lost couple in the woods, but noooo, everything has to be bleak as hell.

I'm sure this may have already been pointed out at some point but I wanted to share because it blew my mind....

Dude who plays Morgan in Walking Dead is the voice for Lord Shaxx and the Crucible handler in Destiny...

The letter A is gonna annoy me. They'd better explain that.
lol
the-noose-tightens-thumb-550x250-139931.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-18%20at%209.55.18%20PM-thumb-550x311-139978.jpg

11042166_812111125549086_2025640327_n1-thumb-600x383-139988.jpg

MisterHero

I really liked the episode but Eastman should've survived. They could've left him at his cabin forever and having him say the same thing about Morgan staying or leaving. It was nice seeing a character trying to do something productive like making cheese rather than scavenging canned foods and crap.

Though I guess it was all over when Tabitha died. RIP goat

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really liked the episode but Eastman should've survived. They could've left him at his cabin forever and having him say the same thing about Morgan staying or leaving.

That though occurred to me as well when I was watching the episode. I thought Eastman might survive and continue living in his little cabin with his goat even after Morgan left. Alas!

Konka

Banned
I really liked the episode but Eastman should've survived. They could've left him at his cabin forever and having him say the same thing about Morgan staying or leaving. It was nice seeing a character trying to do something productive like making cheese rather than scavenging canned foods and crap.

Though I guess it was all over when Tabitha died. RIP goat

Eastman didn't want to stay there, that's why he was planning to leave. He told Morgan he shouldn't stay there, that nobody should be alone.

Eastman understood the nature of humans. They arent built for this new world where violence is the first option. That humans rely on their social network to be healthy. Unfortunately, the new world is at odds with this truth. There is no society. The fundamental structure that allows humans to be largely peaceful doesnt exist.

If Eastman had left he would have ultimately died at the hands of people like the Wolves. Alexandria coukd work out if they had more people. One attack by a small group has their fledgling society on its heels. Whatever security they had is gone, fear and the need to survive is going to take over.

Diablos

What does "Here's not here" even mean?
I think it is a reminder to himself that "here" (as in the places that haunt him most -- where he lost his wife, where he lost his son) is not where he actually is at the present time. It's a coping mechanism. That's the best I could do.

CorvoSol

Come to think of it, how do walkers keep catching animals?

Was Tabitha tethered? Cuz if so, sure, okay, but if not, goddammit I feel like every living thing on Earth should be outrunning the dead.

Was Tabitha tethered? Cuz if so, sure, okay, but if not, goddammit I feel like every living thing on Earth should be outrunning the dead.

She seemed comfortable with Morgan. She probably thought it was another human coming to give her food.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
About Glen...it did seem odd his intestines were up so close to his face in that scene when the Walkers were ripping him apart..

Look at that scene again....whatever they were ripping was on top of Glen...the shirt was too high up off his body.

RPS37

I really liked this episode. It felt slightly similar to the last Agents of SHIELD episode, but I liked this one way more.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
About Glen...it did seem odd his intestines were up so close to his face in that scene when the Walkers were ripping him apart..

Look at that scene again....whatever they were ripping was on top of Glen...the shirt was too high up off his body.

I want him to be dead, but I think he's alive also.

raindoc

have you watched FTWD?
At one point a walker kills an adult german shepard in mere seconds.
these shows aren't "hard zombie fiction". they're ott as fuck and do whatever they want, no matter how silly it may seem.

Someone on Reddit made an astute observation that Eastman succeeded in making his good tasting cheese before he died. Note his actions in the background:

https://embed.gyazo.com/acbd10f106dbdac827506a40445636fa.gif

I think this episode was mostly held together by John Carol Lynch's performance. One of the more convincing actors who have appeared on this show.

Is it really astute though? I noticed it when watching it live. It seemed pretty obvious to me he had finally got some good tasting cheese going on.

artsi

have you watched FTWD?
At one point a walker kills an adult german shepard in mere seconds.
these shows aren't "hard zombie fiction". they're ott as fuck and do whatever they want, no matter how silly it may seem.

While I love the show it's so dumb when rotten dead bodies with no muscles manage to overpower fit and healthy people. But if it was realistic they wouldn't be walking anyway, so shouldn't try to think logically while watching TWD.

This is right up there with Clear for me. Eastman was an amazing character. I really wished they left him and his goat, and Morgan goes on his way. Would have definitely made it more satisfying. I completely get Morgan's state of mind now and its definitely lot less annoying.

But even though Eastman and Morgan follow the Akido principles, they also follow the Batman's law: They wont kill you. But they don't have to save you. Which is why both Eastman and Morgan leave a bad guy to starve to death at the end.

Eastman was used as a big homage to Splinter from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which was really cool.

87553876951cc08e1e1b384ad8c4a90a.jpg

eastman-walking-dead.jpg

He has a robe and staff, he preaches peace despite losing his family to a murderer, and he trains and mentors a disciple.

And to top it off, he wears a "Save Terrapins" t-shirt at one point (terrapin is a type of turtle), and one of the co-creator of the TMNT comics is called Kevin Eastman.

This is right up there with Clear for me. Eastman was an amazing character. I really wished they left him and his goat, and Morgan goes on his way. Would have definitely made it more satisfying. I completely get Morgan's state of mind now and its definitely lot less annoying.

But even though Eastman and Morgan follow the Akido principles, they also follow the Batman's law: They wont kill you. But they don't have to save you. Which is why both Eastman and Morgan leave a bad guy to starve to death at the end.

We don't know what's going to happen to the guy Morgan captured, but Eastman straight up killed Crighton. Willingly locking somebody up to let them starve isn't "failing to save" somebody; it's murder. But it was only afterwards that he started following Akido principles.

NBtoaster

How we dont have to go through a long arc of Morgon learning some people are bad to the bone, the Governor already showed us some people are too far gone.

Yeah, it seemed pretty clear to me that he wasn't dead.

If I made this show, I'd open an episode on a close up of his face. Eyes closed. Then he'd open his eyes and survey the surroundings, noting only one or two disinterested walkers. He'd slowly make his way to his feet and begin to leave the area, taking out the walkers as he went. Then, after a couple of minutes of him heading back to meet the group, I'd have him killed. I wouldn't give him an exciting death either. I'd have him hit by a car. A total accident. Cut to the inside of the car and show four new people. They have a quick 'oh shit, that wasn't a walker!' moment and discuss whether to get out and check if the person they hit was OK. They decide not to and drive off. They're never seen again. Glenn bleeds out in the middle of the road. Fin.

How we dont have to go through a long arc of Morgon learning some people are bad to the bone, the Governor already showed us some people are too far gone.

That's like basically the entire show though. The main characters almost never agree on what "too far gone" is. It's been that way from season one onward. I don't really think there will ever be a time on this show where this isn't an issue.

Rick's just the one who is on the extreme "no mercy" side now, as opposed to old Sherrif Rick's "we don't kill the living!" mantra. So maybe from the viewers point of view you can just accept that as the way everyone should be, but like no one else is really anywhere near his opinion on things other than Carol. Even people really close to him like Daryl and Michonne aren't that on board with the way he thinks about the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom