• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrono01

The only solution to this, that I can think of, is to make the "first-person POV" death a secondary character, and to instantly kill of another core character, showing you everything. That way all of the casting rumors, previews, etc. won't really spoil anything, since just because they're mentioned/are shown, doesn't mean they'll be sticking around.

Even still, the moment is definitely lost. This could have been something truly special for the show, so it's just frustrating to see the potential for it wasted. :/

GavinGT

Banned
Realistically, it can't be Rick, Maggie, Carl, or Aaron. Of course it's not Rick. It's not Maggie because the whole baby thing needs to play out. It's not Carl because he's still undergoing his transformation into a badass. And Aaron wouldn't be worthy of such a moment.

One good thing I can say is that none of the characters (except maybe Eugene) got their big "I'm about to die" character moment. So it's not at all obvious who's gonna get it. Glenn is overdue for death, but would they really kill him off before a big tearful moment with Maggie?

Pryce

Not sure if I'm remembering wrong but after that they kind of showed various folks with the bat in there face. One of the last, IIRC, was michonne.

I'm half suspecting it's Daryl.

Right after Negan walks past Rick he says "it". When he tells them that if one of them tries anything to cut Carl's other eye out he slightly looks to his right.

I could be going insane, but I think that it's Sasha.

anaron

And you knew this before the next season revealed the other side of the cliffhanger? I'm going to guess 'no' would be the honest answer to just about every example you can think of.
it's a shit cliffhanger by design, I don't need the comics knowledge to reference why it doesn't work.

it's just flat out completely botched writing.

The special effects on that pov ending though...

Goldeneye-007.gif

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I must say that I'm happy that Carol wasn't the one to meet Lucille. People were speculating for months that it would be her, but that would have been beyond awful for a variety of reasons.

I just realized next season will be insufferable because we now have legit shook Rick, ready to die Carol, and it's all my fault Daryl. There won't be a single redeeming character as Neagan shits on the group for an entire season.

One good thing I can say is that none of the characters (except maybe Eugene) got their big "I'm about to die" character moment.

When I was watching Abraham in the RV, talking about moving on and doing something great like Maggie and Glenn, with the sunlight shining behind him all dramatically, I thought he was about to get got.

Kadin

it's a shit cliffhanger by design, I don't need the comics knowledge to reference why it doesn't work.

it's just flat out completely botched writing.
I was referring to you stating that many great shows used cliffhangers effectively and I'm simply asking how you knew this before you saw the next season of said show. You couldn't, and we can't yet either with this.

I guess I'm just in the minority here because everyone appears to feel they deserve to know all the information immediately. But again, this is nothing new so I'm just puzzled here.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I just realized next season will be insufferable because we now have legit shook Rick, ready to die Carol, and it's all my fault Daryl. There won't be a single redeeming character as Neagan shits on the group for an entire season.

Morgan, Carl, Gabriel, and Jesus!

AMC only has budget of 2.8 mil for each episodes per season. Their digital effects are absolute shit for that reason.

That's the season 2 budget...

Disappointing finale. First half is mostly just a bunch of driving around - they wouldn't have needed to extend the episode by 30 minutes if they had just shortened that part. It shouldn't have dragged on for so long.

I was expecting Negan to be a lot scarier. But he seems really charming and personable (until right before he wacks someone with the bat, of course). Was he like that in the comics? His dialog almost made him sound like a good guy. Wasn't expecting him to say "I don't actually want to kill any of you. You can't work for me if you're dead!" (something along those lines). Everything we saw today wasn't any worse than anything Rick's done. Hell, Negan actually showed them mercy compared to what Rick would've done. Rick would have killed the whole lot of them, not just a single one of them, if the positions were reversed. Rick "doesn't take chances anymore" after all. Though Rick wouldn't have made a spectacle out of it like Negan has.

I'm sure Negan will probably seem much more menacing next season when he gets more fleshed out as a character. But for an introduction, it felt weak. But what do I know, I haven't read the comics, so maybe this was how he's supposed to be.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Well I'm at least satisfied to see a lot of the Internet, both personally and globally, hated the cliff hanger. It's not just us comic readers that are pissed off here.

Imagine GoT cut off like that during the red wedding or boromir's execution or during the viper vs mountain fight. Walking dead writers are garbage
probably going to be someone like Aaron or Eugene, Rosita or Abraham.
They will not follow the comic book here imo.

So that Glen bullshit was just par for the course, huh? Well, it's been a whole six seasons, but I think I'm done. I suffered through Dexter for all eight seasons and that was a zero-sum game, so I'm not about to let this shitshow rope me in with this nonsense.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing they killed is any interest I had in this uneven mess of a show.

Also does anyone feel this whole storyline with Carrol is not going anywhere? feels like a completely dumb plot. They built up this character for 6 seasons now only to have stupid arc now that's not going anywhere.

Why the hell was this episode over an hour, a whole a lot of nothing happened until it ends on a freaking cliffhanger that shouldn't have been there since the whole half season was building up to it.

Faenix1

Right after Negan walks past Rick he says "it". When he tells them that if one of them tries anything to cut Carl's other eye out he slightly looks to his right.

I could be going insane, but I think that it's Sasha.

Or he could of looked at Carl so it's someone on Carl's right. Though I'd rather not play the 'OMG WHO DID THEY KILL?!" game like they expect us too.

Pulled that shit for three episodes with the Glenn fake out already.

So someone mentioned, maybe last week or so, something about the first-person death. Was that leaked, or do they possess clairvoyance?

Episode was incredibly disappointing, but I'm not sure which has me angrier: the fact that really nothing happened, or that some ass posted an unmarked spoiler saying "no one really died" in the tv cancellation thread before I saw the finale. I figured we'd either get a 3b, or a 4a finale, but after what was a pretty enjoyable six episodes, I expected more.

rjcc

They worried we wouldn't remember Random Guy X, so they literally made him Marked Guy X.

this is pretty much it, but I couldn't even tell what they were spraying on him, so I wasn't looking for it as a logo later. and it was so dramatic 😂😂😂

SamuraiX-

Welp, Alpert indeed called in. Internet has gone into supreme meltdown.

I'm not going to let the cliffhanger ruin anything for me. I haven't felt that much suspense on a tv show where I was basically shaking and shit for a long ass span in years.

Preach!

I thought I would not at all be ok with a cliffhanger, but the buildup, the suspense, the tension, the motherfucking terror of Jeffrey Dean Morgan walking out of that RV and taking his sweet time laying out the new world order? Six seasons watching this show, no scene got my heart racing nearly as good as that. JDM ripped Negan right off the comic pages and even added a little extra flavor to it. Fucking legend, man.

The whole episode of Rick slowly being taken down, peg by motherfucking peg off his delusional, self-righteous, pseudo-invincible high horse was fantastic. The look on his face during those last 15 minutes was satisfying and heartbreaking all at the same time.

And with the cliffhanger, I thought they did a nice job setting things up to where it'll be impossible to guess who actually gets tongue action with Lucille. To me, if it's just the one person, it has to be Daryl, Glenn, or Abraham. They might be able to get away with Eugene but nobody else's death would be able to be as impactful as is demanded by the emotional buildup. Rick and Carl are out of the question based on one of Negan's final lines. I have a good feeling they wouldn't do Maggie, Sasha, or Rosita, but if they open up Season 7 with just the aftermath and a prosthetic head bashed in without showing the brutality and grotesqueness of the Lucille beatdown then maybe it'll fly. All I know is, it can't be Aaron. It CANNOT be just Aaron and that's it. Gimple mentioned on Talking Dead that they'll do their damnedest to justify this cliffhanger and killing off somebody like Aaron and him alone sure as shit will not be acceptable. Like somebody mentioned, if they do a double-KO with a B-tier character getting it first, Negan walking away, but then coming back for more, I'd dig it.

I'm also curious, like many others, how they'll edit the Comic Con trailer this year without giving it away or at least narrowing down the potential candidates to 2 or 3. Not to mention casting news of actors/actresses being announced for other big roles in the middle of Season 7 beginning its filming. lol

Whatever, I'm straight hooked on the next season for Jeffrey Dean Morgan alone.

50NvLQQ.gif

I'd like to point out that if Glenn is dead, asians will literally be extinct on walking dead. I didn't even spot one in the saviour army.

lmfao

Also props to Abe for rising up when Negan had the bat pointed at him. Balls of steel.

Second only to Carl for lack of fucks for Negan in this episode. Loved both of them looking like they were just waiting for the right moment to eat his face off.

I'm thinking Daryl, honestly. Also, I recall something about the finale being the darkest/gruesome/whatever as described by the show staff, and I figured it was all bull. Unless of course, they already filmed the kill and were referring to that, or it's just bull.

Consumer

This 1.5 hour OnlyHas60Minutes? Check.
Censored Negan? Check.
Cliffhanger ending? Check.

Welp, that was a total shitshow. Only remarkable thing was Morgan's kill.

Maybe the actors are all tired of being sweaty and dirty all the time and this is a mass conspiracy to drop viewership so the series gets canceled.

(I'm joking, if that wasn't clear.)

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
So was the reaction to the hank toilet scene in Breaking Bad as bad as this? I get it was much less of a cliffhanger, but we still had to wait a whole YEAR.

This scene was intense ad duck. Rick vs Negan should be on point. Can't see dude being a Slave.

UberTag

So someone mentioned, maybe last week or so, something about the first-person death. Was that leaked, or do they possess clairvoyance?
The actual first-person shot of the Lucille strike was first leaked online roughly a week after it was filmed back in November of last year. Of course, it was assumed that there would be alternate shots utilized in addition to that one and the actual cliffhanger nature of tonight's finale wasn't leaked until a little under two weeks ago when translators for foreign markets (one of whom posts right here on GAF) watched the final cut of the episode and information leaked out online in detail.

So was the reaction to the hank toilet scene in Breaking Bad as bad as this? I get it was much less of a cliffhanger, but we still had to wait a whole YEAR.
Thankfully we won't need to wait as long. The identity of the Lucille victim will make its way known online either late next month or early June at the absolute latest. Of course, it won't happen during the show where it would have had some dramatic impact which is the real shame of it all... but that's the bed AMC has made for themselves and now they have to lie in it.

jillytot

Wait... This was last episode of the season? They left it on that for a cliffhanger?

I was annoyed when i just thought that this was a cliffhanger for just a normal episode. I feel like it would have been way more shocking to see who got it, and in such an excessively violent way. They've been hinting at it the whole season.

The impact will be far less after waiting another 9 months, and then heaving a whole new season of episodes forthcoming. When i see writing like this, it feels like they are playing it way too safe.

You have to take risks when storytelling and just go with it. It's like they are afraid to move the story forward, or kill favorite character X. That's how this came across to me.

Wait... This was last episode of the season? They left it on that for a cliffhanger?

I was annoyed when i just thought that this was a cliffhanger for just a normal episode. I feel like it would have been way more shocking to see who got it, and in such an excessively violent way. They've been hinting at it the whole season.

Yeah? How do you think it worked out in the comics? They ended it exactly like that and the readers waited a month coming to terms with what they saw.

Years later the TV show fucks it up.

TheShocker

Loved every second of the last episode, but the end killed it. I was hoping the leaks from last week would be wrong, but clearly not. I am not too happy about having to wait several months to find out who got to meet Lucille.

I haven't read a lot of the comics, but I do read over the synopsis as the seasons progress, just to compare the story arcs.

It might be time to dive into the comics so I can follow the story as its intended. If I get the composiums, it's just the three right? Then from there just catch up on the individual comics?

IrishNinja

Well I'm at least satisfied to see a lot of the Internet, both personally and globally, hated the cliff hanger. It's not just us comic readers that are pissed off here.

Good. It's an insultingly bad episode.

it was padded/had fluff for sure, but personally, i thought they built the tension/inevitability better than the comic - rick's band of invincible merry men made their way out after daybreak, spent most of the day being railroaded, and then stupidly decided to keep playing rather than retreat...until even eugene pointed out how cornered in they likely were, after following all the leads.

the absolute dread that set in when rick's team realized just how big a number they were up against was really well done & i thought stepped things up nicely, didn't hurt that Negan's actor seems great for the part too. honestly, i thought it was all pretty on point towards they end..they just blew it by opting for cliffhangers/ad revenue instead of leaving the fanbase devastated/gutted like the book did. you had a perfect moment of gut-wrenching dread, contempt for rick's hubris, desire for revenge/etc and it'll prolly deliver, but the moment was cheapened.

"TOOK IT LIKE A CHAMP"

DARYL IS DEAD

he's high in the betting pool for me, but that line was literally verbatim from the issue, i wanna say. people keep looking at this for a hint, but really, he'd prolly have said it with eugene.

Roussow

They made clear in the editing that there's no real way we'll be able to determine who got the bat by looking at the last shot, or the surroundings, it was deliberately completely random by the last few shots. Regardless, I'm sure we'll know by the time shooting starts for the coming season though, just like with Game of Thrones, and even this season when we saw set photos with Jesus and Glen.

I thought I'd honestly be truly soured on the show after a couple of really underwhelming episodes, and that it was rumored to end with a cliffhanger, but the quality of the rest of the episode was so fucking high that I'll certainly come back. There was so much tension throughout, every time they'd hit a checkpoint, there was a sense of horror that I've never felt with the series in a long, long time -- the undead stopped being a major threat long ago.

I did really love the whole casts physical performances during that final monologue, Rick looked fucking shell-shocked, Sasha's expressions were almost childlike, Abe's acceptance and acceptance for potential death, sitting up when aimed at with the bat, it all worked really well, plus Jeffery Dean Morgan fucking killed it.

Oh, and I completely forgot -- Gabriel is fantastic now.

I have a strong feeling it was either Abraham or Eugene that got the bat.

Their hug right before their goodbye outside the RV seemed like their attempt at building up one or both of those characters before their death. Something the writers tend to do before offing someone (see: Denise)

If one of those two were to die after such a touching moment, it would have a lot of impact. Not just on the audience but on the characters themselves. It would probably destroy Abe emotionally if Eugene was brutally murdered just as they had finally repaired their rocky friendship. The music that played as Eugene drove off happily in the RV sounded too dramatic for his character, as if it was leading up to something.

Even if Eugene didn't get the bat, he is toast soon. He gave Rick the plans on how to make ammo. He is no longer important to that eventual story development, which would give him plot armor.

It's like when Dianna shared her plans about expanding Alexandria.

UberTag

Even if Eugene didn't get the bat, he is toast soon. He gave Rick the plans on how to make ammo. He is no longer important to that eventual story development, which would give him plot armor.

It's like when Dianna shared her plans about expanding Alexandria.
These people don't learn. If you have utility of some kind, don't write that shit down and give it to Rick.
It's like you're asking to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom