• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the only two we say for sure are safe: Rick because he was and still is the main character in the source material. It's his story.

And Carl. Why?

carl1vfzs8.gif

Given how great the latter half of this season was, it's dissapointing how they ended it. Especially when this half of the season they've been hyping Negan up and making cryptic hints about this scene. I don't read the comics but I've been aware for a number of years about this infamous bat scene in the comics and who receives that treatment in the comics. I felt the show was teasing this moment all season which was kind of lame since it takes away from the shock during the moment. Not too mention they leave it on a cliffhanger. Carol's arc still feels as aimless and lost as she does but at least Morgan came around and was a lot better this episode. Way too much fluff and not nearly enough payoff for this finale. The whole RV plan was dumb but Rick got his wake up call. I will say Rick getting that wake up call was one of the more refreshing parts of the episode since for the past 3 seasons, he has acted as if he knows everything. This actually somewhat reminds me of the S3 finale where they teased that big showdown between Rick and the Governor and it fell through.

DeathPeak

I imagine S7's premiere will be from Daryl's crew's POV from the moment they got caught up to the death.

But fuck that shitty fade-out. All that tension for nothing.

Jobbs

Banned
What a shitty show. Damn.

I should just stick to The Americans, The Fall, The Expanse, and other "The" shows. "The" seems to do me right.

The actual first-person shot of the Lucille strike was first leaked online roughly a week after it was filmed back in November of last year. Of course, it was assumed that there would be alternate shots utilized in addition to that one and the actual cliffhanger nature of tonight's finale wasn't leaked until a little under two weeks ago when translators for foreign markets (one of whom posts right here on GAF) watched the final cut of the episode and information leaked out online in detail.
Woah, glad I missed that. Guess I'll have to try to avoid this thread later.

Corpekata

Banned
I think the only two we say for sure are safe: Rick because he was and still is the main character in the source material. It's his story.

And Carl. Why?

carl1vfzs8.gif

Well, he also says to make sure nobody moves otherwise he'd cut out Carl's eye and feed it to Rick, which means both are safe, as it would not make sense as a threat to either of them if they were about to get their head bashed in anyway.

IvanJ

Banned
Wow, so many impatient people here.
Like you just started watching.
Of course it was going to end on a cliffhanger, it was obvious from start.
And isn't it great it did? There, they sparked the discussion, they brought out emotions from the viewers, and they managed to piss off those who need to have everything served to them instantly.

The person killed is either Sasha or Abraham! They had the whole "making babies" conversation, so that was their goodbye.
Rosita getting dumped saved her life :)

bender

What time is it?

And Carl. Why?
[

With how sick Maggie is, I don' think she would remain conscious after the first hit so I think she is safe too. Though logic and this show are often at odds.

PepperedHam

And isn't it great it did? There, they sparked the discussion, they brought out emotions from the viewers, and they managed to piss off those who need to have everything served to them instantly.

The person killed is either Sasha or Abraham! They had the whole "making babies" conversation, so that was their goodbye.
"Served to us instantly"? Dude we're pissed because we did wait patiently for this pay off and they didn't even give us that. They created an amazing scene full of tension, I was pacing, it was really really great. They hyped Negan up all season, teased this all season, fans, the media, everyone hyped this up all season so we all had a lot of fun watching it get to this moment only for them to drop the ball. Don't group those disappointed with it as people who need instant gratification because that isn't the complaint. The complaint is that they completely fumbled an amazing scene. If we wanted instant gratification we wouldn't even be watching The Walking fucking Dead because it's the most blue balls show ever made when it comes to bringing us the goods, so no, I'm not surprised they did this, it's just... man... the potential in this final scene... that performance wasted.

The idea that Negan's people are basically a ninja clan is beyond ridiculous. It's like every one of the Saviors is 10x as good a tracker and hunter as Daryl is.

There was a lot of BS in this episode, but putting Maggie in an RV in the middle of the Saviors to drive her to a doctor that may or may not even be alive, has got to be near the top of the heap. If an outside doctor is necessary, go pick them up and bring them back to Alexandria.

I think Glenn is going to get it, after that "I trust you Rick" line from Maggie. Maggie will lose the baby, take over leadership of the group as Rick turns into a basketcase, and plot her revenge. Whether I even care about that, I'm not sure.

IvanJ

Banned
"Served to us instantly"? Dude we're pissed because we did wait patiently for this pay off and they didn't even give us that. They created an amazing scene full of tension, I was pacing, it was really really great. They hyped Negan up all season, teased this all season, fans, the media, everyone hyped this up all season so we all had a lot of fun watching it get to this moment only for them to drop the ball. Don't group those disappointed with it as people who need instant gratification because that isn't the complaint. The complaint is that they completely fumbled an amazing scene. If we wanted instant gratification we wouldn't even be watching The Walking fucking Dead because it's the most blue balls show ever made when it comes to bringing us the goods, so no, I'm not surprised they did this, it's just... man... the potential in this final scene... that performance wasted.

That is true, I had written something like "If you need fast solutions, you're watching the wrong show", but deleted it from my final post.

But my point is, that if you watched 6 seasons you should have known this will happen. I mean, it's still better than how the 8th episode finished...

I am personally OK with the end, I think it is good that it ended like that, so that people can speculate, guess and offer up theories. I have my theory and will wait for October to see if I am correct.

d3vnull

And isn't it great it did?

No!

They ruined what could have been an amazing scene for a cheap sales tactic. I don't even care about who died anymore.
So glad I watched it on my phone on my way to work instead of wasting precious Couch-TV time.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Hahahaha....Yeah. Just finished watching.

...What gives? How does one fuck up one of the most iconic scenes in the comic like this? Oh right, they never gave a shit about the comic.

And oh, it's definitely the most disposable character on the show, and in that group at the time. It's Aaron!

Hahahaha....Yeah. Just finished watching.

...What gives? How does one fuck up one of the most iconic scenes in the comic like this? Oh right, they never gave a shit about the comic.
True. It would have been more of a gut punch to let the audience go away for the break mourning the character death.

Pluto

As Gimple pointed on Talking Dead, many, many great shows have used cliffhangers so this is nothing new.
Many great shows have used them well, The Walking Dead screwed up!

The death had to happen in the finale, it was supposed to shock the audience, to come unexpected and it had to be one of the "untouchables", they felt relatively safe and as if they could deal with anything and the audience felt the same way, it was supposed to be a "Oh shit!" moment.

With the cliffhanger they've created they ruined everything. Okay, somebody died but somebody (usually a minor character that was introduced a short time ago or someone who isn't that popular) dies all the time, that alone is not a *wham*, most people will probably assume it's Aaron or Eugene.
The death will leak as soon as they start filming season 7 and even if for some reason there'll be no leaks from the set itself we'll still know because what if Danai Gurira is announced as a new regular character on show xy in a month? What if Norman Reedus suddenly moves to europe, what if Chandler Riggs cuts that mop of hair and starts auditioning like crazy?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Many great shows have used them well, The Walking Dead screwed up!

The death had to happen in the finale, it was supposed to shock the audience, to come unexpected and it had to be one of the "untouchables", they felt relatively safe and as if they could deal with anything and the audience felt the same way, it was supposed to be a "Oh shit!" moment.

With the cliffhanger they've created they ruined everything. Okay, somebody died but somebody (usually a minor character that was introduced a short time ago or someone who isn't that popular) dies all the time, that alone is not a *wham*, most people will probably assume it's Aaron or Eugene.
The death will leak as soon as they start filming season 7 and even if for some reason there'll be no leaks from the set itself we'll still know because what if Danai Gurira is announced as a new regular character on show xy in a month? What if Norman Reedus suddenly moves to europe, what if Chandler Riggs cuts that mop of hair and starts auditioning like crazy?

The death is going to be mean absolutely NOTHING as well when the new season airs, as they'll have 35-40 minutes of an episode to fill shit into, thus rendering the moment lacking any impact whatsoever. This is all provided they even start the episode from that very moment, which I doubt they will. I see a time jump, and characters talking about how they miss a certain someone. Retarded, but highly possible given the decisions on the show lately.

I know what happenned in the comics....but I feel like they changed it up, and I think it's abraham. there's alot of reasons pointing to this.....but yea....endng it on the cliffhanger the way they did was terrible. they should have took a note from GoT and the Red wedding. We needed to see who died..then cut to black

Godan

Well that cliffhanger pissed me off. Felt if they showed who it was Negan went for it would have had a much better impact. So now we have to wait like 6 months for the new season in which they probably won't reveal who it was till the end of opening episode.

Also this is the 3rd time this season they have used the whole find out next episode if someone has died or not.

Corpekata

Banned
I'd really hope if they are doing a 6 month cliffhanger, they aren't using it for someone like Abraham like many think. He's not a terrible character but he's kinda middle of the road. And if they're willing to contort themselves for a death of a character on his level, they're NEVER going to kill one of the major characters again.

One of the big flaws of the show the last few seasons is that everyone's got to have their big dramatic farewell episode if they've managed to live through a season. Even characters like Bob got them. A season should not be ending on the death of someone like Abraham, let alone teasing that into 6 months. It ends up being him (or Eugene,Rosita, Aaron), I'd hate to see how much histrionics they draw out of killing someone like Glenn or Maggie.

I'd really hope if they are doing a 6 month cliffhanger, they aren't using it for someone like Abraham like many think. He's not a terrible character but he's kinda middle of the road. And if they're willing to contort themselves for a death of a character on his level, they're NEVER going to kill one of the major characters again.

One of the big flaws of the show the last few seasons is that everyone's got to have their big dramatic farewell episode if they've managed to live through a season. Even characters like Bob got them. A season should not be ending on the death of someone like Abraham, let alone teasing that into 6 months. It ends up being him (or Eugene,Rosita, Aaron), I'd hate to see how much histrionics they draw out of killing someone like Glenn or Maggie.

It makes sense actually. You want to shock the people ? You end on a big note, with a death on a major character. You want to keep them wondering for 6 months, you take them by surprise by killing a minor character. My money on Aaron, as he's the newest one.

Zaph

Wow, how unbelievably lame. They just ruined one of the best moments in the comic for a cliffhanger that won't even work. AMC has to know the casting news will leak with such a gap, taking away all the impact (no pun intended) issue #100 had.

And season 6 was one of their best seasons too. Damn shame.

The cynic in me wonders if they're renewing the actor's contracts during the break and this gives AMC leverage during the bargaining process.

Corpekata

Banned
It makes sense actually. You want to shock the people ? You end on a big note, with a death on a major character. You want to keep them wondering for 6 months, you take them by surprise by killing a minor character. My money on Aaron, as he's the newest one.

It's only a surprise in that we expect them to subvert expectations for once, but they just do what they always do.

AMC: We meet your low expectations.

Exactly how I see it. This ending has us thinking "Who is it?! Who is it?!", where as ending with Aaron being killed would have us thinking "Who cares?"

Aaron is the one for me. No doubt about it.

And then Morgan and multiple shot Carol will ride in, literally, and save the day.

Anybody remember when this world was full of zombies?

Corpekata

Banned
The cynic in me wonders if they're renewing the actor's contracts during the break and this gives AMC leverage during the bargaining process.

I had kinda wondered this myself.

It kind of explains that Norman Reedus show they're putting out, that was probably a signing perk, letting him go do his little pet project.

Laieon

Well that cliffhanger pissed me off. Felt if they showed who it was Negan went for it would have had a much better impact. So now we have to wait like 6 months for the new season in which they probably won't reveal who it was till the end of opening episode.

Also this is the 3rd time this season they have used the whole find out next episode if someone has died or not.

Next season will be told backwards like Memento. We won't know who died until the season finale.

Tabris

Man what a waste of all that awesome tension. The episode was perfect until the end.

They needed to Red Wedding this. Show the death. Then the discussion is the shock and the hype for what they are going to do about it next season.

Not a cheap "who died?" cliffhanger. That's budget TV technique.

Major pro though - They finally showed Carl and he's getting fucking badass. I can't wait to watch Carl's arc.

Nudity and Swearing are limits we know of.

It is worse though, depths they have not gone before.

sure, self cencorship to prevent moms from crying about an Fbomb being dropped while a head is caved in

That doesn't change the fact that if they actually wanted to show it they could have easily done it instead of putting on the Goldeneye filter and stepping on my grandmothers tomatoes for the SFX

This wasn't a case of "We can't do it justice, so we just can't do it at all!"

Zaph

The scene was probably too brutal to show properly.
Shame, it really could have set the internet on fire.

Oh, we'll see it. No doubt S7 will open with the same scene but without the POV camera, confirming the victim who we'll all know thanks the leaks by then.

Which will mean AMC successfully dragged out one of the most brutally unexpected comic moments into a total of 2 and a half hours of TV. Got to squeeze in as many commercials as possible I guess.

Corpekata

Banned
Man what a waste of all that awesome tension. The episode was perfect until the end.

They needed to Red Wedding this. Show the death. Then the discussion is the shock and the hype for what they are going to do about it next season.

Not a cheap "who died?" cliffhanger. That's budget TV technique.

Major pro though - They finally showed Carl and he's getting fucking badass. I can't wait to watch Carl's arc.

I think that's mean to budget TV.

I'm actually struggling to think of a TV show that's had a similar cliffhanger to cap off a season recently. Almost all similar ones that come to mind are more about the perpetrator's identity instead of the victim, or clear victims but questions of "did they really die? (see the shitty Glenn cliffhanger)."

jediyoshi

There, they sparked the discussion, they brought out emotions from the viewers, and they managed to piss off those who need to have everything served to them instantly.

You're right. There'd be absolutely no discussion if they explicitly said anything. Not a peep. No one would feel any emotional attachment if something actually happened.

Did you just start watching?

BBboy20

So...was all that Rictatorship just a front to hide his fears? He showed hints of that after that ambush of the RV from the first episode of this season.

Cappa

Banned
I don't care if it's typical of the show, the cliffhanger bs is lame and by the time the new season begins the same kind of tension and anxiousness will be gone and it won't be the same.

Even if they start the new season directly from the same scene, which I doubt they will, it will be just like meh no matter whom it is they decided to kill off and if it differs from the comic well who cares.

IvanJ

Banned
You're right. There'd be absolutely no discussion if they explicitly said anything. Not a peep. No one would feel any emotional attachment if something actually happened.

Did you just start watching?
No, I watch it from the beginning, but never been in this topic.
I was shocked to read all the meltdowns, and was doubly glad they ended this way. Anything to put all the whiners in check, as well as keep on toes all those "I've read all comics" people.
Of course it's best that they reveal everything instantly for those lacking patience and imagination, god forbid they have to wait a bit to see what happened.
Damn binge watching generation, you deserve to wait 6 months.

Corpekata

Banned
I was shocked to read all the meltdowns, and was doubly glad they ended this way. Anything to put all the whiners in check, as well as keep on toes all those "I've read all comics" people.
Of course it's best that they reveal everything instantly for those lacking patience and imagination, god forbid they have to wait a bit to see what happened.

You are like 2 posts away from invoking True Fans aren't you?

Cappa

Banned

Your pompous attitude in this thread is amazing. Other than thinking the way they ended is good because us "binge watching generation deserve it." How does this keep us on our toes?

In 6 months the tension and excitement of the final will be gone from almost everyone, hell, there is no excitement at all in me now. I just don't see how this ending benefits anyone at all, I also don't see why I'm considered a "binge watching generation" for believing that the way they ended things to be stupid.

IvanJ

Banned
You are like 2 posts away from invoking True Fans aren't you?
Don't know what that is?

I just came here hoping to find a discussion "Who do you think it is?", but instead I find page upon page of crying.

I better leave, nothing constructive to be found here.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Has to be someone in the van, right? Otherwise the POV shots from the back of the van that were strewn throughout the episode don't make much sense.

Comic spoiler buried in this somewhere amidst speculation on what the show will do...
I doubt it's Rosita. Nobody cares about her. Could be Glenn or Daryl. I'm kinda skeptical on Glenn though. I'm thinking they might switch it up because the few folks who haven't been spoiled by this point probably will be over the course of the next year. That leaves Daryl and Michonne. Daryl has unfinished business with Dwight so for that reason I don't think it was him. That leaves Michonne. I think it could be her. I know that she is hugely popular but they could still do it and a lot of folks were saying they were killing her off once her and Rick hooked up.

Corpekata

Banned
Don't know what that is?

I just came here hoping to find a discussion "Who do you think it is?", but instead I find page upon page of crying.

Nothing constructive from the guy that's done nothing but be insulting in all his posts. Logic so bad you should be a character on the show.

PepperedHam

Don't know what that is?

I explained to you calmly up above why people are upset and you even quoted my post so you had to have read it. What I said was constructive, as what many others have said. It's okay to be disappointed in something, man, especially something so fumbled as this final scene.

This is a legit awful post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom