• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I watch it from the beginning, but never been in this topic.
I was shocked to read all the meltdowns, and was doubly glad they ended this way. Anything to put all the whiners in check, as well as keep on toes all those "I've read all comics" people.
Of course it's best that they reveal everything instantly for those lacking patience and imagination, god forbid they have to wait a bit to see what happened.
Damn binge watching generation, you deserve to wait 6 months.

Wow, so many impatient people here.
Like you just started watching.
Of course it was going to end on a cliffhanger, it was obvious from start.
And isn't it great it did? There, they sparked the discussion, they brought out emotions from the viewers, and they managed to piss off those who need to have everything served to them instantly.

The person killed is either Sasha or Abraham! They had the whole "making babies" conversation, so that was their goodbye.
Rosita getting dumped saved her life :)

rofl, impatient?

They literally ruined one of the most memorable moments of the series because they wanted to create a hashtag so that people get roped into the next season opener to find out #WhoIsIt

You are being played, when a show starts making concessions in it's writing and story because they want to rope people in for the NEXT season, it's time to admit that whoever is in charge doesn't actually care about the quality of the show.

Think about it, they don't actually trust their own writing or characters to simply carry the fan base to the next season. Instead of us knowing #WhoIsIt and then thinking about all the consequences of that death that will drive the next season forward as well as ENDING THE FUCKING SCENE, they chose that the story isn't strong enough to carry people over to the next season and thus literally cut in half the final scene into two seasons.

Cliffhangers usually have some form of conclusion with the cliffhanger leading into the next arc due to whatever just happened at the end of the episode/season. Good cliffhangers are S4a, S4b. Prison arc is done, everyone is scattered and we get a conclusion to the Governor character. S4b starts with everyone scattered and heading to Terminus and ends with the majority of the group united and stuck in Terminus. Clear defined story arcs that have an end goal and reach them while putting the characters in a situation to launch them on their next season arc.

A good cliffhanger doesn't literally cut a scene in two for the sake of "WHO DONE IT!?". You're not completing an arc, you're not giving characters motivation for what comes next, you're just ending a scene before it actually ends.

It's embarrassing when people can't take criticism of their favorite shows, when I like something I can admit parts are shit, but when so much of a show is shit people need to convince themselves that what their watching isn't bad at all.

MrBS

Yikes. You expect me to care about this in six months AMC? I'll be lucky to remember who was even there. But the tension, suspence and speculation amirite?

I was shocked to read all the meltdowns, and was doubly glad they ended this way. Anything to put all the whiners in check, as well as keep on toes all those "I've read all comics" people.
Of course it's best that they reveal everything instantly for those lacking patience and imagination, god forbid they have to wait a bit to see what happened.

You're absurd. You talk of a lack of imagination in the same post where you characterize every person whose opinion you dislike in such a one-dimensional fashion? Please, your imagination ain't shit!

There's nothing imaginative or interesting about waiting for an answer to a simple question. "Who died?" "A character who appeared for three episodes" "oh" isn't creative, it isn't interesting, it doesn't spark interesting discussion. It only distracts from more interesting discussions, such as how viewers would respond if someone like Daryl was killed, or how the group will respond (both in terms of emotion and retaliation), or how much of a fuck Negan is because fuck you Negan how dare you kill my favourite character!, etc. It's all muddled by very literal questions that aren't open to much interpretation or deep thought. In the end it either is or it isn't, and we will learn what it is or isn't, and then that'll be it. Six months to learn a simple answer to a simple question when in fact we could have been talking about Negan and not just his victim.

Tabris

Yikes. You expect me to care about this in six months AMC? I'll be lucky to remember who was even there. But the tension, suspence and speculation amirite?

But that's the issue, the tension and suspense disappeared with how they ended it. When S7 starts, it will be "oh okay, that's who it was".

Zombine

Banned
rofl, impatient?

They literally ruined one of the most memorable moments of the series because they wanted to create a hashtag so that people get roped into the next season opener to find out #WhoIsIt

You are being played, when a show starts making concessions in it's writing and story because they want to rope people in for the NEXT season, it's time to admit that whoever is in charge doesn't actually care about the quality of the show.

Think about it, they don't actually trust their own writing or characters to simply carry the fan base to the next season. Instead of us knowing #WhoIsIt and then thinking about all the consequences of that death that will drive the next season forward as well as ENDING THE FUCKING SCENE, they chose that the story isn't strong enough to carry people over to the next season and thus literally cut in half the final scene into two seasons.

Cliffhangers usually have some form of conclusion with the cliffhanger leading into the next arc due to whatever just happened at the end of the episode/season. Good cliffhangers are S4a, S4b. Prison arc is done, everyone is scattered and we get a conclusion to the Governor character. S4b starts with everyone scattered and heading to Terminus and ends with the majority of the group united and stuck in Terminus. Clear defined story arcs that have an end goal and reach them while putting the characters in a situation to launch them on their next season arc.

A good cliffhanger doesn't literally cut a scene in two for the sake of "WHO DONE IT!?". You're not completing an arc, you're not giving characters motivation for what comes next, you're just ending a scene before it actually ends.

People who can't stand criticism of their shows is embarrassing, when I like something I can admit parts are shit, but when so much of a show is shit people need to convince themselves that what their watching isn't bad at all.

rbdWv.gif

Let's also not forget the entirely botched mid-season finale that was edited so it didn't get in the way of the stupid show after it they were trying to put up because their golden goose was going to sleep for a few weeks.

Solo

What a stupid, predictable ending to a stupid, predictable show. How is this show a ratings juggernaut? It's so poorly executed and needlessly drawn out to make more money.

We watched 5 mins of Talking Dead after and heard one of the producers talking about "all the seasons to come" and I couldn't help but chuckle - they aren't even trying to hide that they are going to milk this and draw it out for as long as they have monster ratings, storytelling be damned.

Zombine

Banned
Talking Dead was interesting because they jumped headfirst into justifying their cheap and stupid ending. They know what they did and they know it was wrong.

Talking Dead was interesting because they jumped headfirst into justifying their cheap and stupid ending. They know what they did and they know it was wrong.

no no no

it's ok because that's actually the end of the arc. you can see it, it's right when the bat started it's downward motion, the story arc ended right there.

you might have missed it because it happened so fast with the red colored paint thinner obstructing the screen.

I thought they said Negan is going to go full-on with his trash talking, but all he said was 'shit'. AMC done AMC'ed?

I know that Negan has a potty mouth, but AMC isn't going to drop Fbombs left and right, the most you're getting out of him is "shit".

Such bullshit and their explanations on the aftershow were embarrassing. In the age of binge watching, a "cliffhanger" like this is even less meaningful. It will live only in the next few months as a major disappointment then be completely washed out in the future when people will immediately go from this episode to the next. It's a gimmick plain and simple.

x-Lundz-x

Wow, so many impatient people here.
Like you just started watching.
Of course it was going to end on a cliffhanger, it was obvious from start.
And isn't it great it did? There, they sparked the discussion, they brought out emotions from the viewers, and they managed to piss off those who need to have everything served to them instantly.

The person killed is either Sasha or Abraham! They had the whole "making babies" conversation, so that was their goodbye.
Rosita getting dumped saved her life :)

Even this show doesn't have the Balls to have a female cast member go out like that getting beat to death by a baseball bat. It's definitely a guy and surely it's Aaron.

Tabris

But it's not even effective. Look to how Game of Thrones handles the big scenes.

Episode 9 some shit happens. Episode 10 shows the ramifications, wraps up some threads, and starts some new ones for the season. People talk bout the episodes more then TWD because shock is much stronger then speculation.

Even when they do a death cliffhanger, they show what happens GOT S5 spoilers:
aand the only reason people think he's not dead is due to the books, otherwise people would think he's really dead as there's no foreshadowing in the show about Jon

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Yeah, that's what I find frustrating too. It's like they don't trust the writing, or trust the fucking audience itself, to be engaged in the show without propping it up with these bullshits gimmicks. The Glenn thing was stupid enough, but now that they pulled this it's a pretty clear indication of the kind of stuff they are comfortable with pulling in the name of cheap suspense/anticipation and it's totally immature bush league garbage.

jond76

Banned
rofl, impatient?

It's embarrassing when people can't take criticism of their favorite shows, when I like something I can admit parts are shit, but when so much of a show is shit people need to convince themselves that what their watching isn't bad at all.

Just because you hated what they did and think it's shit is still your opinion. You can be pissed, that's fine, but that's doesn't mean that you're stating absolute fact and I'm wrong about liking the episode.

I'm not obligated to "take criticism" just because you're fired up about it. I have no problem with the story telling here. You aren't the authority on what a good cliffhanger is so there's no need to try to convince people who liked it that they're wrong.

As far as I'm concerned, the fact that someone died is enough for the season end. The deed is done. It will change the group forever, especially Rick. When the next season begins we will see a new Rick, and that story will begin.

But it's not even effective. Look to how Game of Thrones handles the big scenes.

Episode 9 some shit happens. Episode 10 shows the ramifications, wraps up some threads, and starts some new ones for the season
. People talk bout the episodes more then TWD because shock is much stronger then speculation.

Even when they do a death cliffhanger, they show what happens GOT S5 spoilers:
aand the only reason people think he's not dead is due to the books, otherwise people would think he's really dead as there's no foreshadowing in the show about Jon

ding ding ding

865px-Freytags_pyramid.svg.png

Notice how everyone says "omg ozymandias was amazing, it's too bad the last two episodes aren't as great"

That's because BB knew that actual stories that have climax need proper falling actions and resolutions. Good stories don't have the climax be 10 minutes before the show/movie ends with little time for the resolution (unless part of the drama is the lack of resolution or purposefully going against common tropes). BB was amazing because we had two full episodes of proper falling action and resolution to five seasons of the show, it may not get as much praise as the climax itself, but it's absolutely instrumental to the shows overall success.

Just because you hated what they did and think it's shit is still your opinion. You can be pissed, that's fine, but that's doesn't mean that you're stating absolute fact and I'm wrong about liking the episode.

I'm not obligated to "take criticism" just because you're fired up about it. I have no problem with the story telling here. You aren't the authority on what a good cliffhanger is so there's no need to try to convince people who liked it that they're wrong.

As far as I'm concerned, the fact that someone died is enough for the season end. The deed is done. It will change the group forever, especially Rick. When the next season begins we will see a new Rick, and that story will begin.

No shit it's my opinion, and of course you don't have to take criticism, but I'm not criticizing you, I'm criticizing the show. The fact that people get these two facts confused speaks volumes to what is actually getting under their skins, which boils down to "you don't like what I like, you're a hater please shut up, you're not right it's just your opinion."

The reason I'm fired up is because I unfortunately really, really want this show to be good but the people in charge don't care. Like I said before, thank god AMC didn't have full ownership of Breaking Bad (and Mad Men for those who watched that), the only thing AMC cares about is trying to cut budgets while keeping the same amount of episodes to try and squeeze as much money out of their products.

Zalasta

Well, I was bored. The long winded monologue along with the inevitability of something terrible was going to happen, completely killed any tension of the scene for me. Should've gone with a more compact finale rather than dragging it out for 90 minutes. I can honestly say that I don't really care who died and won't lose any sleep over it.

this show is pretty little liars for teenage boys. and i only say this because i watch pll (blame the fiancee) and both utilize the same methods to string along their audiences whilst producers are chirping about multiple more seasons. shameful.

Setsuna

Tara' not there, Carl as well as Rick are safe, and I doubt they are killing Maggie. So I don't care who ends up dead next season

graffix13

I DVR'd this due to the Royals playing last night and I planned on watching this later.

No I won't bother. What a terrible ending. I read that a cliffhanger was a strong possibility, but I held out hope that was false.

Now I am done with the show. The Glenn/dumpster shit and now this is too much for me.

Solo

Actually a lot of people care about it. You can tell by the reactions. As Gimple pointed on Talking Dead, many, many great shows have used cliffhangers so this is nothing new.

Problem here is that The Walking Dead isn't one of said great shows and doesn't have the talent or vision behind it to pull off an effective cliffhanger. They want to sell Daryl mugs and Blurays for as long as they can, not tell an affecting story.

Here's what's funny; not only have they robbed is of the tension, they now HAVE to kill someone other than Rick, Carl or Aaron. No one gives a shit about Aaron so Negan brutalizing him wouldnt have much of an impact on the viewer. Additionally, I don't see them killing Michonne, Rosita, Sasha or Maggie in that manner due to potential domestic violence backlash (I know it sounds absurd but there is no chance they'll have a man pummel a woman like that on tv). So that leaves just Eugene, Abe, Glenn and Daryl.

If I had to guess I'd say it's Abraham. Daryl was already death teased and is a fan favorite. The show has proven it won't go that far. Glenns death was teased several times and he saw those pictures of people being brutalized which feels like an intentional misdirection. Glenn also had Plot Armor level 3. They also pulled a misdirection with Eugene in this very episode so it's less likely it's him.

The only character that doesn't have plot armor, isn't a fan favorite, and wasn't given a true misdirection was Abe. Additionally, let's look at how the scene plays out. The person that got hit was still conscious and able to look back up after a full weight bat swing. None of the girls would have been able to do that. Eugene couldn't and Daryl was in too bad a shape to take that first blow without going night night. Glenn would have keeled immediately as well. So which character could take a hit like that and still be ticking? Abraham.

Goodbye Abraham. Goddamnit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ever since season 3, almost on a weekly basis, people have been like, "oh shit they're gonna kill Carol now! dat foreshadowing!" and yet she's survived for 7 seasons now. :)

Battered Housewife act for Crazy Carol: Fury Road. Tells us she's weak, but has a sleeve pistol in her hand.

The One and Done™;200099684 said:
The only character that isn't a fan favorite, and wasn't given a true misdirection was Abe.

Wut. Everyone likes Abraham and Eugene. The problem with both is that the writers don't know what to do with the latter and the former has been on ice since they got to DC. It's why he jumped from Rosita to Sasha weirdly. They needed to trump up relationship drama for him.

bill0527

Despite the bullshit ending I do want to say something positive about last nights episode.

I was thrilled to see Steven Ogg last night. Happy to see him getting work in my favorite shows as he was also on Better Call Saul last year. I'm the only one in my house that's played GTA V and knew who he was. I got some weird looks from people when he popped up on the screen and I shouted out "Its Trevor fucking Phillips!!"

Bandit1

rofl, impatient?

Great post. It's become clear to me that the people running the show are more concerned with being coy or "engaging with the fans" or whatever than actually telling a good story. The cliffhangers/fakeouts we've had this season are ridiculous. You have the whole Glenn debacle, where we didn't find out what happened until episodes later, and all the while they're playing cute by skirting the issue and taking Steven's name out of the intro. Then just last week Daryl gets shot and the screen goes black, we don't see him until the last twenty minutes of the episode, and now we have to wait til next season to find out who got the bat.

EL CUCO

Despite the bullshit ending I do want to say something positive about last nights episode.

I was thrilled to see Steven Ogg last night. Happy to see him getting work in my favorite shows as he was also on Better Call Saul last year. I'm the only one in my house that's played GTA V and knew who he was. I got some weird looks from people when he popped up on the screen and I shouted out "Its Trevor fucking Phillips!!"
Lol! i had similar experience at my house.

Me: "IT'S TREVOR! HELL YEAH!"
Wife: "Where's he from?"
Me: "GTA V"
Wife: "Oh..."

TheSeks

Close your right eye like Carl. Now look at your .gif.

TAH-DAH, reason why your wrong on Carl. You can still get 90% of the picture with one eye. Only your depth perception is fucked up and if someone is about to kiss you is when your missing eye happens to have a problem.

Unless that bandage crosses over into Carl's left eye, he could see and be the perspective.

jond76

Banned
rofl, impatient?

You are saying right here that its embarrassing that people can't accept your spot on criticism. Is it so hard to believe that I just enjoy the show? Without any convincing of myself?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
rofl, impatient?

Agree 100%.

They could have handled this ending much better. It would have been much better to at least show who it was. The look on Rick's face, Glen and Rick crying out....Negan basically toying with them...

The ending ruined all that.

rofl, impatient?

There's plenty of great cliffhangers that work. Breaking Bad had a mid-season cliffhanger of a guy taking a shit, and that's better than any cliffhanger WD has done. They also had a major one midway through the show and people loved the question of did it happen. Negan's scene is about showing fear. The writers have made it blatantly clear that Rick is getting cocky and will need to get pegged down a lot by the reality of what this world still has to offer. Showing the entire scene sends that message. GoT wanted to send a message that no one is safe, imagine them ending it a few minutes before episode 9 of s1 is done, you would get the reaction of this. I already care far less now about who got it instead of last night where it was incredibly well written and tense up to that point. This is not a case of cliffhangers are bad!1!! It's about what the scene is supposed to convey much of it will get thrown to the wayside once s7 starts half a fucking year later.

Jabo

Yeah this is exactly what's bugging me right now. Gonna have to rewatch the whole season again in 6 months sigh

You are saying right here that its embarrassing that people can't accept your spot on criticism. Is it so hard to believe that I just enjoy the show? Without any convincing of myself?

because the defense I'm hearing is

IE, you're not a true fan if you don't like it.

There's plenty of great cliffhangers that work. Breaking Bad had a mid-season cliffhanger of a guy taking a shit, and that's better than any cliffhanger WD has done. They also had a major one midway through the show and people loved the question of did it happen. Negan's scene is about showing fear. The writers have made it blatantly clear that Rick is getting cocky and will need to get pegged down a lot by the reality of what this world still has to offer. Showing the entire scene sends that message. GoT wanted to send a message that no one is safe, imagine them ending it a few minutes before episode 9 of s1 is done, you would get the reaction of this. I already care far less now about who got it instead of last night where it was incredibly well written and tense up to that point. This is not a case of cliffhangers are bad!1!! It's about what the scene is supposed to convey much of it will get thrown to the wayside once s7 starts half a fucking year later.

I never said cliffhangers are bad, I said bad cliffhangers are bad.

Sapiens

The scene was probably too brutal to show properly.
Shame, it really could have set the internet on fire.

Lol - that's not the reason. Are you not watching the show? It's pretty violent all the time.

They just have no idea what they're doing. I bet even the actors don't know who's dead!

Avclub said it best - 20 minutes of story in 1.5 hours. If that. It's at the point where we only get 3 or 4 good episodes per season now.

jroc74

Close your right eye like Carl. Now look at your .gif.

TAH-DAH, reason why your wrong on Carl. You can still get 90% of the picture with one eye. Only your depth perception is fucked up and if someone is about to kiss you is when your missing eye happens to have a problem.

Unless that bandage crosses over into Carl's left eye, he could see and be the perspective.

Also it cant be Carl be because Negan said If anyone cries out or makes a sound give the kids the other eye to his Dad.

That to me says it cant be Carl. Whoever had their head bashed in...their eye is probably mush.

Even this show doesn't have the Balls to have a female cast member go out like that getting beat to death by a baseball bat. It's definitely a guy and surely it's Aaron.

I am going all in Abraham. The scenes with him talking about to Sasha and Eugene, plus he was the one that kept looking Negan straight in the eye. In terms of impact you got the Atlanta 5 (Darrell, Rick, Carl, Glen, and Carol who isn't there), Maggie and Michonne, and after that I would say Abraham. I just can't imagine them dropping below Abraham, but with these writers who knows.

I really liked Negan's speech, and that whole scene. Even the POV was nice (outside of shitty blood effect), but the cut to black took what could of been the greatest scene in the history of TWD to one of that the public will always be split on.

It's cable TV, they can show what ever they want.

They have advertisers they depend on, so while what you say is true, there is a good reason they don't show everything they want. They don't want backlash.

While it is not a great show or even good at times, I like the TWD. I think the hate or backlash to it, is overdone and at times is worse than the show could ever be. That said I think you are wrong and missing the point. While it is subjective if you like how it ends or not, it basically neutered a great scene, not that we have a form of a cliffhanger. It's not just from whiners, critics are blasting it too. Just one headline, The Walking Dead’s’ Trolltastic Finale: Negan (and Lucille) Fail to Deliver the Goods, but no it is just whiners. Also I am older than a lot of people on here, so don't include me in your 'binge watching generation' generalization.

Also you come across as an ass with your 'put all the whiners in check' comment. Whiners can be bad at times, but you know what is worse? Your post.

jroc74

The One and Done™;200099684 said:
Here's what's funny; not only have they robbed is of the tension, they now HAVE to kill someone other than Rick, Carl or Aaron. No one gives a shit about Aaron so Negan brutalizing him wouldnt have much of an impact on the viewer. Additionally, I don't see them killing Michonne, Rosita, Sasha or Maggie in that manner due to potential domestic violence backlash (I know it sounds absurd but there is no chance they'll have a man pummel a woman like that on tv). So that leaves just Eugene, Abe, Glenn and Daryl.

If I had to guess I'd say it's Abraham. Daryl was already death teased and is a fan favorite. The show has proven it won't go that far. Glenns death was teased several times and he saw those pictures of people being brutalized which feels like an intentional misdirection. Glenn also had Plot Armor level 3. They also pulled a misdirection with Eugene in this very episode so it's less likely it's him.

The only character that doesn't have plot armor, isn't a fan favorite, and wasn't given a true misdirection was Abe. Additionally, let's look at how the scene plays out. The person that got hit was still conscious and able to look back up after a full weight bat swing. None of the girls would have been able to do that. Eugene couldn't and Daryl was in too bad a shape to take that first blow without going night night. Glenn would have keeled immediately as well. So which character could take a hit like that and still be ticking? Abraham.

Goodbye Abraham. Goddamnit.

Good theory.

Goodbye Abraham. Abe actually stuck his head up when he came to him like hit me mofo...

And someone mentioned how do they get out of this? I dont think this is a Terminus type deal here. Negan basically said yall work for me now, I dont wanna kill all yall. What I think is gonna happen.... they will get put in a Hilltop situation giving half their stuff to Negan, the people Morgan ran into will wind up teaming up with Rick n Co. and going to war.

jond76

Banned
because the defense I'm hearing is

IE, you're not a true fan if you don't like it.

I never said cliffhangers are bad, I said bad cliffhangers are bad.

I can appreciate that you were let down by how it played out and don't question your status as a fan.

I just happen to think it was effective.

I can imagine if they did the whole thing: X gets their head smashed in, Rick is on his knees and just falls over in defeat.. smash to black.

That would've worked too. But also would have felt strange to me to. It's hard to explain.

Oh well, on to a Fear the Walking Dead!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Yeah that was bad. i wouldnt be surprised if the first episode of S7 is from the prisoners view to the Neegan intro scene. Second episode will be a full flashback episode for Aaron (misdirection for an Aaron/Lucille beatdown only to find out it isnt Aaron at the end.. #WhosOnAaronsRight) . After that then we'll get to see who died.

TWD is a show much better suited to binge watching. i was watching week to week until whatever finale it was where the Governor died. Binged the last week and got caught up just in time for the finale last night. Might take another multi-year break again.

Cappa

Banned
rofl, impatient?

this.

I am sorry, but my choice for best show on AMC right now is Halt & Catch Fire. It was one of my top 5 shows of last year (along with AMC's Mad Men, so it is hard for me to consider them trash yet, but they are trending down).

graffix13

rofl, impatient?

YES. Great post.

RDreamer

Ridiculous cliffhanger. This season has been fucking awful and the only reason I kept going after the shit they pulled with Glenn was because I already paid for the season on iTunes. After all that Glenn bullshit they really had the cajones to cliffhanger the ending of the season too? No respect for their fans and viewers. They're just milking cheap bullshit now.

I was thinking of plunking down the cash to continue watching Fear the Walking Dead next week but with this taste in my mouth I think I'll wait until it's free on Netflix or something. I fear they'll just turn that show into cheap crap like this one.

TheSeks

I am sorry, but my choice for best show on AMC right now is Halt & Catch Fire. It was one of my top 5 shows of last year (along with AMC's Mad Men, so it is hard for me to consider them trash yet, but they are trending down).

I still need to catch that. But Into the Bad Lands isn't too bad for the fight scenes. The story itself is pretty much "no1curr" territory given how bad AMC bungles their writers. But man those fight scenes are worth AMC bankrolling it alone.

I was thinking of plunking down the cash to continue watching Fear the Walking Dead next week but with this taste in my mouth I think I'll wait until it's free on Netflix or something. I fear they'll just turn that show into cheap crap like this one.

They already have. "SEE HOW THE INFECTION STARTED! LOL! JUST KIDDING! WE'RE WALKING DEAD: WEST COAST NOW!"

To be fair to the show runners, this feels 100% like an executive decision and not a writing decision. There are absolute huge ups and downs of quality on this show, so the writers don't get a pass or anything, but I severly doubt they made this call. Gimple's justification for it on Talking Dead made that even more evident. He seemed to have little in the way of honest reasoning and his argument felt super prepared ahead of time. I don't think they would have expected such a negative reaction if they didn't sort of get it themselves.

Not that AMC meddling with this show is even slightly beyond them either. Stuff like this just makes me more and more wish for the day the Netflix model has full control. The show would be much better without the need to write around shitty executives and tone down characters and events for advertisers and cliff hangers like this trying to make sure people continue to tune in.
I don't care if it was an executive decision. The showrunners settled with it.

I would've had more respect for them if they had just said (in a more eloquent way) "Yeah, we did that basically because we know people will come back on season 7, as this is a potential way to guarantee at least the same amount of viewers"

instead of some bullshit sentimental explanation starting and stopping stories. that explanation is a fucking fallacy. the season ended with someone getting bludgeoned. thus, it is part of the story. the audience knows someone is getting bludgeoned. what the audience does NOT know is who that mothafucker is. but the characters know. the characters know, in the ending of the story, just like glenn knew his ass wasn't getting chomped. so fuck this, and fuck that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom