• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lmao, some asshole here spoiled that shit weeks ago. Damn i forget who it was but they be saying the season would end on a POV shot of some guy getting teh shit beat out of him to death by Negan and we would have to wait to find out who it was. Fucking gaf.

Man I wish I had seen that fucking spoiler so I would have been warned ahead of time how fucking lame this cliffhanger would be.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah, the ending was a cop out. A really poor decision on Gimple's part. I assume that the writers are planning to kill the character whose death will have the least amount of impact (probably Aaron lol), but if the backlash is big enough, hopefully they'll pick someone more important.

Outside of that, though, I thought the episode was pretty good overall - very tense throughout. I really liked seeing The Saviors toying with Rick and Co. on the road, with all the traps (cutting off a piece of Michonne's hair and sticking in on a zombie? What!) and dead ends and whatnot. And the whistling! All of that stuff was very well done and legit creepy.

Also, I'm glad that Morgan leveled up and that Carol survived to see yet another season! And the (comic spoiler)
Kingdom
guys in armor looked very cool. :D

Sasha 3x headshot

Yeah, that was pretty sweet!

If anything happens to Melissa McBae.....

:)

What if a walker that is loyal to maggie comes out of her vagina? Think about the possibilities. A domesticated zombie hasn't been done much in this kind of fiction.

lol

With all these AMC ad where's my Into the Badlands season 2!?!?!?!?

Next year. They're doing 10 episodes this time so it's taking longer to film.

Wow. Sister taped the ep just to catch the killing and she doesn't even watch the show or read the comics.

Nothing happens. Cliffhanger.

Yeah, I'm remembering why I stopped following the show and lost interest in the comics.

What does that have to do with the comics?

I aint that mad though. This show is just popcorn to me and that's why I likes it. Cheesy bad cliffhanger? That's a marquee of some popcorn entertainment. But it can be disappointing because sometime this show has glimpses of something more. See you in october beetches. Should be an interesting season.

Mhm. I was initially mad for about 30 seconds and then I remembered all the incredible shows on TV that will be airing in the coming days, weeks, and months - old shows that are and new shows that will be better than The Walking Dead ever was. If this is your main show that you look forward to, then I'm sure tonight's finale was quite a blow, but for TV fanatics like me, today is just another Sunday.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
just google something to fear(least i think thats the Negan intro issue)

Kirkman stated he was introduced in Issue 100 on Talking Dead.

The Compendium books (read: Hardcover and not the new one that has like the first 100? issues?) goes up to Book 9 or so. I dunno the individual "Trade" paperback ones because those are like 20-50+ now.

Note that issue 9 of the compendium goes past Issue 100 to like 106 or so. So if you're reading the comics up to where the show is, you'll jump WAY past it if you read compendium 9 right now and not stop at compendium 8 (which stops at issue 86 or so).

Jetman

- glad I wasn't the only one who noticed JDM got too skinny for this role. Surprised there wasn't a mandate in place for him to bulk up.

- Fuck that ending. It'll completely get spoiled for everyone before the next season starts. How could they not know this?

gatti-man

this show just proves traditional TV is going to die soon. Waiting a week to watch shit like this is old news.

Netflix is the future. Everything all at once, opinions change drastically when people dont have to wait for bullshit.

Netflix is just as shit as tv is. If not more so in my opinion. There is a reason they don't release ratings of their shows and it's not the reason they give. None of them are really that great. Never been hooked by a single one and I've tried them all. Mediocre by and large. Nothing touches black sails, power, game of thrones, walking dead, the wire, Vikings, just off the top of my head.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So, lets assume I'm done with the show. Where can I pick up from this episode in the comics?

I wouldn't recommend jumping into the comics where the show just left off. The broad strokes are the same but most of the character stuff (the surviving/dead characters, not to mention their personalities, are pretty different). The comics are a super easy read though so you could easily just start at the beginning and work your way through in no time.

6 months is a crazy amount of time to wait for the reveal of got the bat.
The only saving grace will be the comic con trailer which will be in 3 months. Unless they keep it short, we at least get to see who "sort of" lives, of course they can always just trick us with BS flashbacks.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
this show just proves traditional TV is going to die soon. Waiting a week to watch shit like this is old news.

Netflix is the future. Everything all at once, opinions change drastically when people dont have to wait for bullshit.

Netflix releases every episode in a season at once, not series. If The Walking Dead aired on Netflix, we'd have to wait a full year to get the reveal instead of just 6 months.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What I want to see next season is a Negan focused episode (READ: NOT DURING THE OPENING. Don't drag this shit out goddamn it, show who got killed off) that shows how he got the army he did now. The governor could've been this sort of deal, but he didn't have that sheer brutality. I want to know how Negan went from 1 person (him) to 50+ people with just his brand of fear. Surely the numbers from 1 weren't in his favor at that time.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Netflix is just as shit as tv is. If not more so in my opinion. There is a reason they don't release ratings of their shows and it's not the reason they give. None of them are really that great. Never been hooked by a single one and I've tried them all. Mediocre by and large. Nothing touches black sails, power, game of thrones, walking dead, the wire, Vikings, just off the top of my head.

The point flew completely over your head. Woooosh! Listing a bunch of shows you like more than netflix shows has nothing to do with the point im making that instant on-demand content trumps the bullshit model we have now where everything is drawn out to last forever and still not satisfy. If every season of WD was delivered as a whole with the same wait time between seasons, i guarantee you the consensus would be far more positive. Everyone making excuses that having to wait a week adds to the 'atmosphere' or whatever crap is the definition of denial.

CorvoSol

You do know they were being lead the whole time right?

Yes, because unlike the characters, I'm not dumb. Doesn't change the fact that literally all of Negan's 'i invested a lot in today' boils down to some grade a bullshit he couldn't have possibly known about or had control over.

Lothar

Banned
Man, people having meltdowns ITT. As to be expected. You'll get your resolution in 6 months. Yeesh. That last 15 minutes was fucking brutal, in a good way. Probably the most tension I've seen in any scene, much less TWD, in a long time.

We'll get our resolution but it won't have any emotional impact any longer. That's the problem. It could have been a huge TV moment like the type GoT has, but the idiots ruined it. And actually we'll get our resolution far earlier than that. There will be leaks. Even if there aren't, the next season will have previews. It'll have to show some of these characters doing something and not getting killed, wouldn't it?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Eh. binge shows also totally destroy any sort of lasting conversation so while things gets glossed over, nothing seems to standout either.

I mean, yeah. That too. The Walking Dead season 6 pt 1 thread is 91 pages of reactions and speculation and this thread is at 90 right now. The biggest Netflix show for GAF is probably Daredevil, and the season 2 thread of that is only at 26 pages for the main OT and 14 for the spoiler thread. It's nice to be able to binge a new season of TV, but it also pretty much kills most of the discussion and community that weekly TV fosters.

If Gimple feels that the scene was not about the character who dies, it was about Rick, and thats why he feels it isn't a cliffhanger, then here's my question for Mr. Gimple - why didn't you give us a reaction shot of Rick as the beating occurred? Heck, why didn't the entire beating occur with us focused squarely on Rick & his reaction to it? Oh thats right, cause you're selling a cliffhanger.

Here's what Gimple doesn't realize about that scene, or at least he won't admit to it least his AMC overlords who love creating moments to sell premium ad slots won't allow him to admit to - The Lucille scene, both in the comics & ESPECIALLY on the show, is mostly about the audience. Its about breaking the audience's sense of safety and comfort. Thats why its so visceral. Thats why it was done to a character who was considered untouchable by many.

An arc like Alexandria was always going to create a sense of security for the characters & for the audience. This is actually a huge change of pace for the show TWD & the comic TWD, which at that point had enjoyed regularly offing cast members, typically at the end of a long build-up. But Alexandria meant security, comfort, safety. High walls that allowed the cast that had made it up to that point to breathe. To see them in situations they are very much no longer accustomed to. In the comic, we see the cast wrestle with the idea that life could somehow return to some form of pre-breakout normalcy, with dinner parties & potlucks and the like. The show emulated this to an extent, although this season replaced the sense of security we had within Alexandria for our cast members, with the sense of security the 'soldiers' of the show represented for the town. They were untouchable, they came out of dire circumstances unscathed while other Alexandrians were not so lucky. That feed right into Rick's hubris. That he & his crew were prepared for absolutely anything.

Thats why the Negan scene is an absolute master-class moment. It's a reality check, and both the characters & the audience get to feel it at the same time. You think the scene would've had the same amount of impact had they just cut to black & not shown you who got it in the comic? No. They showed us every visceral, obscene, gory detail of the execution. It was meant to rattle the audience. Not showing you this moment, and cutting it in half, removes all of the tension & build-up. It's gone. When they do show us the death scene, it won't even matter anymore.

Personally, this is it for me & the show. It's more than just because they pulled a cliffhanger, even though a cliffhanger is already a pretty big insult to me as an audience member as is. It's because, for me, the purposeful sullying of this moment represents them choosing the potential to grow the popularity & social presence, and in effect the value of their ad slots, at the cost of telling the best story they possibly can. TWD is a show that has always had to wrestle with its budget to a degree. Fine, I get that - but we're talking about the most popular show on TV right now. The carrot for next season isn't necessary - people were going to tune in by the boat load regardless.

Link

The Autumn Wind
We'll get our resolution but it won't have any emotional impact any longer. That's the problem. And actually we'll get our resolution far earlier than that. There will be leaks. Even if there aren't, the next season will have previews. It'll have to show some of these characters doing something and not getting killed, wouldn't it?
This is the worst part of it. There's no way it won't be spoiled somehow way before the premiere ever airs. Whether it be from leaks or casting news. Just dumb all around.

Yeah, it wasn't just that the cliffhanger was bad, it was incredibly awful that they did some shitty blood effect.

Absolutely no guts or talent to show the actual death. This is not what Grade A TV shows do. This is shitty, low grade cheap tactics to create suspense. Like shit, you would have had just as many people watching next season and talking about the show if you just showed the damn thing.

Instead you ruin the entire scene.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
the point im making that instant on-demand content trumps the bullshit model we have now where everything is drawn out to last forever and still not satisfy.

(meanwhile House of Cards will be going into its fifth season and Orange is the New Black was renewed up through season 7)

xaosslug

LMAO @ peeps thinking Carol would get it this season... XD

i'm guessing it's either firecrotch or mullet that get beat to death... I can only assume they would not do that to a female, kid, asian, gay, or black character because the backlash from a symbolic mental/visual standpoint would be insane, imo. And Daryl & Rick are basically immune. So, that leaves the other 2... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I saw a Youtube comment that linked leaked audio from a few days ago and it seems like AMC changed the ending audio a bit so you can't make out whats being heard on the episode that aired.

Yeah, it wasn't just that the cliffhanger was bad, it was incredibly awful that they did some shitty blood effect.

Absolutely no guts or talent to show the actual death. This is not what Grade A TV shows do. This is shitty, low grade cheap tactics to create suspense. Like shit, you would have had just as many people watching next season and talking about the show if you just showed the damn thing.

Instead you ruin the entire scene.
Don't be ridiculous. It's not like there's an HBO show out there that did exactly that and is swimming in an ocean of cash. Those kinds of moves just don't work out. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tmac456

Leave it to TWD to finally have really a perfect scene that is tense, well acted and has the audience truly on the edge of their seats only to ruin it by that cliffhanger.

I don't give a fuck what Gimple of or any of the suits say. There is no reasoning to justify that bullshit ending.

I'm going to watch next season, but it's just another example of why I can't take this show seriously like I did with Breaking Bad and do with Better Call Saul/Game of Thrones

Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Orange is the New Black, and House of Cards are all very good shows and better then a lot of what's on regular or premium cable these days.

Edit: TWD is a decent show but it doesn't touch the comics imo. That stupid cliffhanger ending just proves it.

anaron

I mean, yeah. That too. The Walking Dead season 6 pt 1 thread is 91 pages of reactions and speculation and this thread is at 90 right now. The biggest Netflix show for GAF is probably Daredevil, and the season 2 thread of that is only at 26 pages for the main OT and 14 for the spoiler thread. It's nice to be able to binge a new season of TV, but it also pretty much kills most of the discussion and community that weekly TV fosters.

yup.

(meanwhile House of Cards will be going into its fifth season and Orange is the New Black was renewed up through season 7)
LOL <3

Shady859

Hopefully the writers will show up to conventions this summer and let fans take swings with Nerf bats for donations to charity. TWD can cure all disease. I love the books but man this show is absolutely brutal to watch. I can't believe I stayed up this late for this and now i'm pissed off and wide awake.

Saya

Do the writers actually think people will spend the next 6 months on the edge of their seat wondering and trying to figure who was the one that got killed? Nobody gives a shit. The episode would be so much more effective had they shown the person being killed and the group reacting to it and then end it. Jesus.

Pryce

So upon a re-watch, right before Negan chooses his victim he walks to the right of Rick.

To the right of Rick are: Sasha, Aaron, Carl, and Eugene. Plausible it's one of them or no?

abuC

did they ever explain why they sprayed that dude?

It seemed to not make any sense, but I wonder if I just missed something.

They sprayed him with an X, he was the guy that was hung from the overpass during the burning roadblock scene. It was to show Rick and his people that they were basically everywhere.

Zomba13

The cliffhanger is super lame but expected. It's TV and you gotta keep people coming back so you string out things and have mid season finales and shit like that.

Ricks actor was on point. That horror and defeat.

Minor complaint, I think people should look at the OP again and learn to tag (EDIT: meant tag as in label, not tag with
. like (Comic spoiler) *the spoiler*) . their comic spoilers. I've read a few that were just all spoiler posts thinking people were just spoiling the episode or something but nope. Comic spoilers. GG guys.

Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Orange is the New Black, and House of Cards are all very good shows and better then a lot of what's on regular or premium cable these days.

Edit: TWD is a decent show but it doesn't touch the comics imo. That stupid cliffhanger ending just proves it.
There's hundreds of shows as good as JJ, which is a solid 7.5.

Kadin

Do the writers actually think people will spend the next 6 months on the edge of their seat wondering and trying to figure who was the one that got killed? Nobody gives a shit. The episode would be so much more effective had they shown the person being killed and the group reacting to it and then end it. Jesus.
Actually a lot of people care about it. You can tell by the reactions. As Gimple pointed on Talking Dead, many, many great shows have used cliffhangers so this is nothing new. I'm not sure why everyone is so bent out of shape over stuff like this - it'll keep people talking about it for a while. Sure maybe not for 6 whole months but I'm okay with not knowing until the next season begins.

rjcc

They sprayed him with an X, he was the guy that was hung from the overpass during the burning roadblock scene. It was to show Rick and his people that they were basically everywhere.

which seems bizarre, of course they recognized him. it seems like rick and co. would've gotten that message from the roadblocks and whatnot, but I guess the saviors are big on ceremony.

LQX

This whole damn season was like a tease. Basically nothing happened like nothing happened in the finale. Walking Dead went from being the show that was not sacred to kill off its main cast to be the most scared even when it makes sense. Pussies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
WAIT WAIT WAIT

IS THAT THE ACTOR WHO PLAYS TREVOR IN GTA V IN THE OPENING ?

Episode redeemed !

They worried we wouldn't remember Random Guy X, so they literally made him Marked Guy X.

Saya

Actually a lot of people care about it. You can tell by the reactions. As Gimple pointed on Talking Dead, many, many great shows have used cliffhangers so this is nothing new. I'm not sure why everyone is so bent out of shape over stuff like this - it'll keep people talking about it for a while. Sure maybe not for 6 whole months but I'm okay with not knowing until the next season begins.

Sure, people will talk about it for a week or so. The bullshit is still fresh.

But once the first episode of season 7 starts and it skipped ahead a few weeks or months from the events in this finale and we find out that way, people will be like "oh it was him/her. ok...". It deflates the whole situation and possible impact. They dropped the ball hard.

More likely there will be leaks in a few months confirming who it was. Making the situation only even less impactful.

Faenix1

So upon a re-watch, right before Negan chooses his victim he walks to the right of Rick.

To the right of Rick are: Sasha, Aaron, Carl, and Eugene. Plausible it's one of them or no?

Not sure if I'm remembering wrong but after that they kind of showed various folks with the bat in there face. One of the last, IIRC, was michonne.

I'm half suspecting it's Daryl.

anaron

Many great shows have used cliffhangers and used them well, usually by actually earning it.

This isn't one of them

Kadin

Many great shows have used cliffhangers and used them well, usually by actually earning it.

This isn't one of them
And you knew this before the next season revealed the other side of the cliffhanger? I'm going to guess 'no' would be the honest answer to just about every example you can think of.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

I wouldn't read too much into that. The way that scene was cut overall was sloppy. At one point Negan walks over to Daryl and in another angle of the same moment he's suddenly standing over Rick. They were several feet apart. And eugine was facing them then later he was in line. Made no sense, they clearly shot this multiple times/ways and just edited it roughy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom