• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustyherb

I think it's not about the decision to either recruit or not but rather the execution. You're telling me after 6 seasons Rick and Daryl can't handle one unarmed guy with no other distractions? The truck sequence seemed more like a comedy about incompetent morons rather than experienced survivors. Very out of character for both of them. The idea that they'd just let some random out of sight while they've got a truck full of supplies and food sitting there is silly.
Eh I don't think they ever really encountered someone like Jesus before. Dude obviously knows some kind of martial arts cause he put down Rick easily when up close. He was able to escape being tied up twice and somehow picked the lock where he was locked up so he's pretty sneaky as well. Usually Rick and the gang are fighting other people with guns. This put them at a little disadvantage when Rick didn't want to kill him.

And ya the truck sequence was a little goofy for even me but shit is still going to go wrong even if your experienced. Maybe they didn't do a good job of showing that but i don't see it being that bad of a scene. I liked how the show let loose a little after being so damn serious most the time.

Surfinn

Eh I don't think they ever really encountered someone like Jesus before. Dude obviously knows some kind of martial arts cause he put down Rick easily when up close. He was able to escape being tied up twice and somehow picked the lock where he was locked up so he's pretty sneaky as well. Usually Rick and the gang are fighting other people with guns. This put them at a little disadvantage when Rick didn't want to kill him.

And ya the truck sequence was a little goofy for even me but shit is still going to go wrong even if your experienced. Maybe they didn't do a good job of showing that but i don't see it being that bad of a scene. I liked how the show let loose a little after being so damn serious most the time.

I loved a lot of Rick and Daryl's interactions and enjoy seeing them alone together (at this point it makes just as much sense for Rick to romance Daryl in the truck in comparison to what happened in this episode with Michonne, as a side note), and I agree that Jesus took them by surprise with his close combat skills, and on paper, it makes sense. I just felt like, again, the execution was poor and the result was that two of our main, veteran characters ended up looking like fools on multiple occasions after they met him.

It always comes down to the execution.

bitbydeath

This was easily one of the worst episodes of TWD I have ever seen in my life. I can't even fathom how stupid and contrived the scenes with the fucking martial arts ninja dude were. Rick n Darrel find a truck full of food and n supplies and pull over to get some cans of Crush from a vending machine? Then ninja dude pops out of nowhere to steal Rick's keys? Is Rick the worst survivalist ever? Then ninja dude steals the truck and the truck gets a flat allowing Rick n Darryl to catch up to him on foot? Then tied up ninja dude somehow gets on top of the truck as its leaving ? Then in one is the goofiest TWD scenes ever, Darryl tries to catch ninja dude in this huge field where you see the two of them looking like they are playing tag. Hahahahahahahah.

Then their truck with supplies crashes into the lake. The writing in this Episode was absolutely atrocious

I'm going to disagree, it was actually one of the best despite the slap stickiness of it all and that was all contrived from the tone.

Why the tone change though? Well we had a massive time jump which I don't believe has happened before, which means things were quiet for a very long time, quiet enough to fix the wall which'd be no small job, quiet enough that Michonne was smiling at the beginning of the episode, quiet enough that they even took photos which Carl was accepting of.

I'm also willing to bet the next time we see Maggie she will be almost ready to pop.

Why aren't they upset about losing the van? It was a good score but if you remember seeing everyones happy faces at the beginning they clearly aren't lacking in food or anything.

The show has never been this light hearted before and Jesus really is just that good that he can make Rick and Daryl look amateurish but clearly they have also put their guard down a bit with the time pass too.

someday

Banned
I actually enjoyed this episode and I haven't felt like that in a while. Jesus is awesome, I love Richonne, and it was just nice to have the show be kind of lighthearted after the last few seasons. I hate when TWD takes itself so seriously, and I don't think they pull it off nearly as well as they think they do. This episode is exactly what I want in this show. The speechifying was at a minimum and characters mostly said what they meant.

My only 2 minor gripes were Carl not just telling Enid why he didn't want to put down Deanna walker and Rick and Daryl losing the truck. My heart broke when all those supplies went into the water. I also didn't understand at all why they didn't just drive the truck and the car back to Alexandria. Why leave the car when you have 2 drivers and you don't know how the truck will drive?

All in all though, my favorite episode in maybe 2 seasons. I realize every episode won't be like this but I really hope they lay off the utter melodrama a bit.

I actually enjoyed this episode and I haven't felt like that in a while. Jesus is awesome, I love Richonne, and it was just nice to have the show be kind of lighthearted after the last few seasons. I hate when TWD takes itself so seriously, and I don't think they pull it off nearly as well as they think they do. This episode is exactly what I want in this show. The speechifying was at a minimum and characters mostly said what they meant.

My only 2 minor gripes were Carl not just telling Enid why he didn't want to put down Deanna walker and Rick and Daryl losing the truck. My heart broke when all those supplies went into the water. I also didn't understand at all why they didn't just drive the truck and the car back to Alexandria. Why leave the car when you have 2 drivers and you don't know how the truck will drive?

All in all though, my favorite episode in maybe 2 seasons. I realize every episode won't be like this but I really hope they lay off the utter melodrama a bit.

Manufactured drama that could easily be avoided with one party expressing one or two sentences worth of rationale is pretty much a staple of this show.

I'm going to disagree, it was actually one of the best despite the slap stickiness of it all and that was all contrived from the tone.

Why the tone change though? Well we had a massive time jump which I don't believe has happened before, which means things were quiet for a very long time, quiet enough to fix the wall which'd be no small job, quiet enough that Michonne was smiling at the beginning of the episode, quiet enough that they even took photos which Carl was accepting of.

I'm also willing to bet the next time we see Maggie she will be almost ready to pop.

Why aren't they upset about losing the van? It was a good score but if you remember seeing everyones happy faces at the beginning they clearly aren't lacking in food or anything.

The show has never been this light hearted before and Jesus really is just that good that he can make Rick and Daryl look amateurish but clearly they have also put their guard down a bit with the time pass too.
We've had much bigger time jumps before, but usually between seasons (literally). Season 2 ended in the fall, Season 3 starts in the spring. Also there was a time jump of a few months between Season 3 and Season 4

Amikami

Banned
Do you mind providing me with evidence of this "building up"? Because aside from subtle nudges here and there and the fact that Michonne is simply living with Rick and Carl, I don't think there has been any real hint toward the development of their relationship as a romance. Makes way more sense that Carl and Michonne have gotten closer in a family sense, since she lost her child early on. I get her being close to Rick, makes sense and I love it, but.. I JUST can't see any romantic feelings there.

It was absolutely jarring to see it happen because it just felt so forced. I enjoyed the romantic scene itself (when they're kissing), but the lead in and ALL PREVIOUS interactions left me feeling like this was some silly fanfic.

And can you show me the dialogue of the 2 months? Could have sworn it was 2 weeks in the episode.

I mean sure.

I think you might be hung up on the romance part. The two have never been romantic but they have grown incredibly close; transitioning from comrades, to friends, to family and finally what they have now which is jarring because again, they have never acted romantically towards one another.

Season 4 showed some really great intimate bonding moments among Carl, Rick, and Michonne. I remember the scene of Michonne and Carl goofing around on the train tracks which is one of the few times outside of this episode you really get to see the characters off their guard. After being attacked by the claimers, Michonne had a moment with Carl in which she told him people like him and Rick is what made her whole again.

Season 5 really tested and showed a progression of Rick and Michonne's relationship in that Rick was at his lowest point when it came to believing in humanity.

• Refusing to go to Alexandria until Michonne was the one to convince him.
  • Michonne condoning rick on taking the guns and rick actually feeling remorseful.
  • Seeming a bit bothered by the fact that Michonne did not agree with his opinion of the Alexandrians when it came to involving them.
I think that Gimple went out of his way to show how much Rick is willing to trust Michonne even against his best instincts.

I could go into detail at some of the trying situations they've handled together in just this season alone (Deana dying, Carl getting shot) which is going to make any two people grow closer even if not romantically, or I could go into some of the nudges which has been more intimate (Michonne holding Rick's hand before going through the gates of Alexandria) but the point is their relationship has been just as you perceived it. They've been best friends and that's the point. There's a lot of trust and respect and I kinda think they're relationship is build more out of a sincere familial bond rather than being build up over a history of long glances and innuendo. I mean, sometimes it just happens between friends. I thought it was done fine. This might not be a convincing argument because it ultimately comes down to how you perceive things and I'll also say that while I'm not huge on relationships, if one were to happen, I had hoped it'd be Richonne, so maybe I was biased all along.

Typed this out kinda fast.

bitbydeath

We've had much bigger time jumps before, but usually between seasons (literally). Season 2 ended in the fall, Season 3 starts in the spring. Also there was a time jump of a few months between Season 3 and Season 4

Well at least with this time jump they weren't roughing it as they have houses, electricity and hot showers available which'd make a huge difference to what they had been used too.

Hope they don't kill Jesus he's awesome in the comics and looks to be awesome in the show. He needs to become the most bad ass in the show because he is.

Well at least with this time jump they weren't roughing it as they have houses, electricity and hot showers available which'd make a huge difference to what they had been used too.
Yeah, the Season 2-3 time jump was them surviving the winter. The Season 3-4 time jump was them establishing a home in the prison after the first Woodbury attack

The Episode 9-10 time jump was them...cleaning up, rebuilding, recovering, and relaxing after the horde. The laid back attitude makes perfect sense

silva1991

Oh man this has to be the biggest characters development since forever

great great episode

new character seems cool as hell

I really hope new character won't cause the kill all bad guys/zombies cliche

That episode was boring as shit. Disappointed.

shooting and killing generic zombies and gangs is what I would call bring in this show

this episode is breath of fresh air.

Surfinn

I think you might be hung up on the romance part. The two have never been romantic but they have grown incredibly close; transitioning from comrades, to friends, to family and finally what they have now which is jarring because again, they have never acted romantically towards one another.

You're right, I definitely am. Thanks for your insight; I forgot about the hand holding before entering Alexandria (of course, that still isn't romantic, but an interesting moment).

What I've bolded is EXACTLY how I feel, you've summed it up nicely. From my perspective (and I understand there's another side where people WANTED this to happen, but I'm not in that camp), it makes little to no logical sense how both of them would suddenly be right on the same page and want to be together, especially when there's no indication, whatsoever, of them being together romantically in any capacity. What you've listed has much more to do with family than a romantic connection, and in that sense, I think the show's been spot on in portraying the Rick/Michonne/Carl connection. They do feel like a family, but to me, that's it, which makes this episode in particular feel VERY OUT OF PLACE. Feels very much like the showrunner was like ok, it's time to make Rick and Michonne be together, even from the beginning moments of the episode.

And no, they weren't playing house before, just because they lived together. Their very interactions shifted dramatically once the episode started, so much so you're left with nothing else but to believe the romance is happening.

You can't just use one episode of romantic development and throw them together in the end. There were four seasons of time to make this a believable progression, and none of it was dedicated to how Rick and Michonne could be together in a romantic sense.

That's why it feels both jarring and blatantly forced. It's just bad/lazy writing. Feels like the viewership has plummeted with the way they're treating the audience (Glenn, now forced romance), yet ratings are still great. So you've got to wonder.. why take all of these wild risks with little chance of payoff?

The time jump doesn't excuse anything and only makes it worse (which is used as leverage in order to set up the forced romance in the episode).

That's my opinion, anyway.

And what about Glenn? We don't get to see the payoff of him and Maggie.. and not only that, but Maggie's just wandering around WITHOUT HIM ANYWHERE TO BE FOUND, like nothing happened? Man..

antonz

The good feelings and calm really make perfect sense. They all just went through incredible shit and instead of abandoning Alexandria they all banded together and saved it. Rick finally sees the people how Deanna wanted him too. Walls back up and things are generally ok.

Now when the next shitstorm comes it ill be truly devastating as it will dismantle everything that has been achieved and likely reset progress made mentally etc.

Just having one shitstorm immediately after the last gets boring and really doesn't develop characters other than to harden them over and over

someday

Banned
I feel like Rick and Michonne getting together makes a lot more sense than Rick's immediate sociopathic fascination with Jessie upon reaching Alexandria. Some relationships just happen and these two had a mutual love and respect for each other already. Taking the next step works, especially in this universe where death is around every corner.

Also, they are following the source material as well as they can so it's not like it came from nowhere. Rick was going to end up with someone and Michonne makes the most sense.

Amikami

Banned
You're right, I definitely am. Thanks for your insight; I forgot about the hand holding before entering Alexandria (of course, that still isn't romantic, but an interesting moment).

What I've bolded is EXACTLY how I feel, you've summed it up nicely. From my perspective (and I understand there's another side where people WANTED this to happen, but I'm not in that camp), it makes little to no logical sense how both of them would suddenly be right on the same page and want to be together, especially when there's no indication, whatsoever, of them being together romantically in any capacity. What you've listed has much more to do with family than a romantic connection, and in that sense, I think the show's been spot on in portraying the Rick/Michonne/Carl connection. They do feel like a family, but to me, that's it, which makes this episode in particular feel VERY OUT OF PLACE. Feels very much like the showrunner was like ok, it's time to make Rick and Michonne be together, even from the beginning moments of the episode.

And no, they weren't playing house before, just because they lived together. Their very interactions shifted dramatically once the episode started, so much so you're left with nothing else but to believe the romance is happening.

You can't just use one episode of romantic development and throw them together in the end. There were four seasons of time to make this a believable progression, and none of it was dedicated to how Rick and Michonne could be together in a romantic sense.

That's why it feels both jarring and blatantly forced. It's just bad/lazy writing. Feels like the viewership has plummeted with the way they're treating the audience (Glenn, now forced romance), yet ratings are still great. So you've got to wonder.. why take all of these wild risks with little chance of payoff?

The time jump doesn't excuse anything and only makes it worse (which is used as leverage in order to set up the forced romance in the episode).

That's my opinion, anyway.

And what about Glenn? We don't get to see the payoff of him and Maggie.. and not only that, but Maggie's just wandering around WITHOUT HIM ANYWHERE TO BE FOUND, like nothing happened? Man..

I think it's the feeling of family that brought it on. One form of love can lead to another I don't think that's incredibly odd of two friends. I've experienced it. Having a lifelong buddy and then suddenly there's romantic feelings. And it can be very sudden. Like Gimple has been saying in his interviews, that sense of peace has given them the chance to really be within themselves and just slow down and feel things other than fear and they suddenly realized that there was some feelings between them. Something they've probably been rationalizing as something inherent of the overall family they have created of the other members of the team.

Even while saying that, I can agree to an extent that the development was pretty sudden and a surprise. Even Rick and Michonne seemed kinda surprised so I think it was an in the moment thing. You're right that the episode opened with a very pronounced sense of playing house more so than it ever has, but that's coming partly from the peace they've established and how normalized their world has become to them. I think the moment could have benefited from maybe not time skipping right away, but focusing a little on the two of them helping Carl through his recovery which would have been a prime time to show development of romantic feelings. I didn't mind the skip as I felt the potential for awhile. I think you're thoughts are valid however.

Edit: And yeah, I'm happy to give my insight. I don't think yours is wrong btw. I see where you're coming from.

UberTag

What the fuck? This is the first I'm hearing about this.

I thought that was her real hair.

Well fuck me.
tumblr_ndbfa1ncg91qdpinno1_500.gif

Sadist

Okay, this episode was fun!

- Rick and Daryl supply hunting crew is great. It's been a while since those two went on a supply run together, but the chemistry is still there. I really liked how Daryl moaned when Rick turned on the music. Really funny. The exchange about going outside being stupid was cool too.
- Jesus debut in the series is good. They pretty much establish from the get go that Jesus is somebody with a very specific skillset.
- Carl didn't suck today! See, losing an eye builds character. You could even say an eye-dentity. An eye-dentity Coral!
- Death didn't really change Deana, did it?
- And yes, yes, yes, Rick x Michonne happened! So good. It was inevitable though. I somewhat understand the complaints of some posters here that it happened all of a sudden (while I do think they made Rick, Carl and Michonne grow closer for the past few seasons) but this sort of happened in the comics as well, but different: in the comics...
After the Andersons died in the comics, Rick didn't need a lot of time to find Andrea. Those two were pretty damn lonely (especially Andrea after Dale died) and before you knew it they hooked up. Happened pretry quickly. But it felt somewhat logical. Still, I'm so happy the writers chose the Andrea role for Michonne... comic readers wanted this for years lol.

iNvid02

that was a fantastic change of pace, didn't realise how badly the show needed it

so jesus can perform minor miracles and get out of tight spots, he seems ok

RPGamer92

Banned
The two things I dislike that they seem to be skipping from the comics are (Comic spoilers)
Carl's memory issues and Rick realizing that walkers are a manageable threat.
. I wish those things would make it into the show.

Pretty sure Michonne tells us the time jump is 2 weeks not 2 months.

In several interviews of the cast it's been stated that it was two months, not weeks.

http://tvline.com/2016/02/21/andrew-lincoln-walking-dead-rick-michonne-romance/
Andrew Lincoln said:
My only reticence is that I hope people realize there was a six-week-to-two-month time jump [since last week’s episode]
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-walking-dead-rick-michonne-sex-danai-gurira-1201711420/
Danai Gurira said:
The bonding of that experience and the fact they have a newly formed life now — it’s two months later, they get Carl back, and they’re able to rebuild Alexandria

Dalek

Great episode but man it really hurt seeing that truck go into the lake. When Rick and Darryl got that truck they should have high tailed it right back home. It's too valuable.

Solid episode overall, but I agree with the sentiments over the truck scene lol. That was just silly..

Felt bad when Spencer saw D too ;\

I thought it was ok, nothing great or horrible. Typical TWD filler episode. 30 minutes of meh with 10 minutes of interesting plot development that will probably disappear next week to explore the other 20 sub plots going on.

That Carl/Michonne scene was god awful though. She really needed to be told why he did that? That he felt it wasn't his place to put her down? I get they are trying to show Carl 'cracking' but it was terribly forced. "you gotta kill them immediately carl1!1!"

We need more key character deaths to be honest. Still bloated despite killing off 90% of Alexandria.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
That episode was boring as shit. Disappointed.

One of my favorite. Very happy it slowed down a bit, gave some characters a little room to breathe, and had a more lighthearted and hopeful tone. Show needs this kind of variety to stay emotionally compelling.

New character seems interesting and different and michonne and Rick being a thing in the quiet moments make so much sense. Well conceived ep.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I love Jesus already. Slippery bastard.

Me too.

Also why can't they drain the lake. I'm sure it wouldn't be super hard... Totally worth it for the supplies though. Or just get like another truck and have someone snorkel to the towbar to hook a cable on haha.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
What was the point of getting a large cast of characters last season if most of them would die. (Rhetorical, as this seems to be the show's trope by now.) Not to mention forcing a love interest for Rick, even though she dies half way through the season. Finally, now that random love interest is dead we get Richonne to bone. Meh.

Oh, TWD, stay winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom