• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

I usually watch The Walking Dead at a local movie theatre. They show new episodes as they air in front of a 100-150 person audience.

Everybody in the crowd cheered when
Gabriel iced that dude from Neegan's crew
. Based on the last two seasons, I don't think I ever would have imagined that such a useless limp-dick character might ever have caused an auditorium full of people to scream and yell with enthusiasm.

Pretty great episode overall -- I was on the edge of my seat the whole time that they were infiltrating the Saviors' compound. I am surprised that they did so well -- I thought they would get fucked over from the outset. I honestly thought the guards would say, "That's Gregory's head? Funny, because we went to Hilltop yesterday and killed him ourselves".

Is this the first time that one of Rick's plan's hasn't ended in disaster?

JTripper

I usually watch The Walking Dead at a local movie theatre. They show new episodes as they air in front of a 100-150 person audience.

Everybody in the crowd cheered when
Gabriel iced that dude from Neegan's crew
. Based on the last two seasons, I don't think I ever would have imagined that such a useless limp-dick character might ever have caused an auditorium full of people to scream and yell with enthusiasm.

Pretty great episode overall -- I was on the edge of my seat the whole time that they were infiltrating the Saviors' compound. I am surprised that they did so well -- I thought they would get fucked over from the outset. I honestly thought the guards would say, "That's Gregory's head? Funny, because we went to Hilltop yesterday and killed him ourselves".

Is this the first time that one of Rick's plan's hasn't ended in disaster?

Never heard of watching TV episodes live in a theater. Actually sounds kind of fun, but do you have to pay?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Never heard of watching TV episodes live in a theater. Actually sounds kind of fun, but do you have to pay?

I'd assume so. After all the theater has to pay for the projector's bulb, the food people are probably eating from them, the trash cans, lights, etc.

border

I'd assume so. After all the theater has to pay for the projector's bulb, the food people are probably eating from them, the trash cans, lights, etc.

Technically, every local screening of The Walking Dead is a free event. You are guaranteed a seat if you buy a $5 drink ticket that can be traded in towards a pint of beer or a glass of wine. If those drink tickets sell out, then you can't get in for free (ticket-holders are seated first).

Unless it's a season premiere or a season finale, most shows don't sell out but still draw a pretty sizable crowd. The threat of getting locked out of a showing is enough to make most people buy a drink ticket.

I think it's a pretty smart way to run a theatre, honestly. Sunday night concession sales are going to be pretty low if you are just running movies that are showing at every other theatre. But if you can get a free event running that drives concession sales (particularly alcohol sales with a high profit margin), then you are way better off than just having 1 additional screening of a box office favorite. Since The Walking Dead starts at 9PM they can still run a 7 O'Clock showing of whatever they want. They only miss out on whatever tiny sales and concessions a 9PM Sunday screening might do. Since they serve food, beer, and wine they probably make a lot more on Walking Dead than they would on some random Hollywood blockbuster.

Kadin

Well that was an amazing episode. This Talking Dead episode is pretty meh though. Either way, great progress in the series.

-MD-

Have to admit this season is actually really good, they stepped it up finally.

This was one of the better episodes this show has seen.

SamuraiX-

Content Roundup – Episode 612: “Not Tomorrow Yet”

LV37BvR.jpg

AMC Inside The Walking Dead:
  • The Making of Episode 612, “Not Tomorrow Yet” - AMC
  • Inside Episode 612: “Not Tomorrow Yet” - AMC
  • Preview of Episode 613, “The Same Boat” - AMC | International
  • Sneak Peek of Episode 613, “The Same Boat” - AMC | International
  • Talking Dead Episode 612 Bonus Scene - Soon
Producer & Cast Interviews:
Critic Reviews:
Talking Dead’s Inside The Dead:
  • A cast of Greg Nicotero's head was used when it was presented to the two Saviors on guard duty. It's one of the busiest head casts in Hollywood, having also been used for such films as Inglourious Basterds and Piranha 3D.
  • When searching for a walker resembling Gregory, deep gashes on one that Glenn knifed were filled with live maggots. Steven Yeun was unaware until they were crawling all over him.
  • The Saviors' outpost in this episode was a decommissioned telecommunications facility. It was allegedly bought by a private investor who used it to search for extraterrestrial life.
PLEASE SPOILER TAG ALL PREVIEW/PROMO AND GRAPHIC NOVEL DISCUSSION. REVIEW THE OP FOR COMPLETE THREAD RULES ON SPOILERS.

M_A_C

Am I the only one that thought the action was really poorly done in that ep?

Our super elite heroes jumping out into the hallway, exposing their whole bodies, to shoot. Not the mention the way they were clearing the rooms was all wrong.

Stabbing people in their sleep makes no noise and they don't struggle at all?

The guy running out into the open field looking at the ground for the X where he's supposed to jump in the air for the fake getting shot in the chest?

Sora_N

That episode was really exciting even though there was a lot of cheese and some of the acting was off.

I guess it's just exciting for me to see the team clear enemy bases, even if something is off.

Man, can't wait till next week.

someday

Banned
My only complaint in this episode was the lack of "yes" or "no" answers to simple questions. Otherwise the dialogue had gotten much better.

Really great episode. I'm happy Carol got some before all this shit went down. I wanted her to hook up with Daryl but he never seems to bathe so Tobin will do.

I'm actually worried about characters for the first time in a while. I'm nervous for next week. I feel like almost anyone in the cast can die.

SamuraiX-

4 straight superb episodes. This second half has arguably been the best of the series. Shit is just MOVING! The showrunners were commenting about how the pace ramps up in the back half but this is another level. Too many great moments in this episode to count. The producers have somehow fully redeemed Father Gabriel in my eyes. I thought no way it was possible back around the time of the Season 5 finale. Quoting bible verses and straight icing dudes is just as boss as Rick publicly executing civilians with blank stares on his face. lawd

I'm really liking how things are progressing.

(Comic Spoilers)
In the comic, I believe Rick and company only took out a very small convoy of Saviors before Negan tracked him down and made his entrance. He's bound to be exponentially more pissed when they come face to face on the show. First one of his biker gangs gets nuked and now what looked like a fairly large outpost gets slaughtered.

I do like that they're keeping things rolling and tense leading up to the season finale. The issues leading up to Negan's introduction felt somewhat uneventful in the comics. All the Lucille foreshadowing has been so brilliantly done. lol

I especially love how confident and comfortable they're portraying Rick and his group to be. They really do think they've seen and done it all and anything else left out there ain't shit. I Imagine they have to draw out this Maggie/Carol hostage situation for the entirety of the next episode though. I'm really clueless about the content that'll fill 614 and 615. I think I'd fall out of my chair if they shake things up and Negan shows up in the penultimate episode instead.

Abraham was a real prick to Rosita at the start of the episode. I actually thought she might shoot him in the back during their little murder spree. lol

I would have never believed it a few years back if I was told that the Walking Dead would become one of my favorite on-going series. The show has been on point for me ever since season 5. There were a few missteps in the first half of this season, but the back half has been consistently good. I was expecting a total filler episode tonight and received a very intense one. Even without the final fifteen minutes, the difference in quality compared to an episode from season 2 is night and day. It blows my mind when people say to me, "I wish the Walking Dead would go back to being good like it was on Hershel's farm." The other day I had someone tell me that this season has been awful thus far, which he followed up by telling me how good Adam Sandler's latest film was. I just don't understand people sometimes. Oh well, great episode and I can't wait until next week.

Zaph

Another solid episode. I love how much the writers enjoy fucking with comic book readers (comic spoilers)
It's still likely the season finale will be Glenn, but all this on-going foreshadowing is creating a really fun will they/won't they. Also, I'm kinda wondering how they're going to fill the next 5 episodes if Negan only appears in the last? It's been a while since I read the comic, but wasn't #100 soon after the Hilltop deal? I'm guessing they're going to drag out this hostage thing and Abraham's crossbow bolt?

abuC

Our super elite heroes jumping out into the hallway, exposing their whole bodies, to shoot. Not the mention the way they were clearing the rooms was all wrong.

Abraham is the only trained soldier in the group, I wouldn't expect them to be very good at tactical clearing.

Am I the only one that thought the action was really poorly done in that ep?

Stabbing people in their sleep makes no noise and they don't struggle at all?

The guy running out into the open field looking at the ground for the X where he's supposed to jump in the air for the fake getting shot in the chest?

Yeah the group pulled it off way too easily. I expected them to have much more of a fight on their hands. You would think these serial killers would have more safeguards than just those two guards outside. Being able to just waltz in to rooms and stab sleeping men in the head was way too simple.

Still a great episode though. I'm really worried for Carol, I hope she makes it past this season.

Abraham is the only trained soldier in the group, I wouldn't expect them to be very good at tactical clearing.

Given that they have a soldier then, wouldn't you expect that he would have taught them how to clear rooms? It seems like something they would have picked up just by having him in their group

Yeah the group pulled it off way too easily. I expected them to have much more of a fight on their hands. You would think these serial killers would have more safeguards than just those two guards outside. Being able to just waltz in to rooms and stab sleeping men in the head was way too simple.

Still a great episode though. I'm really worried for Carol, I hope she makes it past this season.

I wouldn't really consider them serial killers.

He and Tara were going on a 2 week supply run.
I just noticed you've got a LCFC avatar. That's my home town/city.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The last few episodes have been pretty decent, but I still hate some of the shit they pull off at times. All the show's 'big talk' scenes are super-cringeworthy, and have been for a long time now. They completely kill the pacing as well. That scene with Glenn and what's-his-name black kid, especially. Can't stand that shit.

Plus, remind me, but what happened with Carol/Darryl? They just....fell apart, and now we have Carol and that other guy?! I guess I might be watching at 2X speed because they're moving past things really quick.

Kaze Kyou

TV Gabriel already > Comic Book Gabriel. I've never really liked some of the changes they've made in the TV version (everything before the Prison Saga being a big disappointment except for Shane), but man have they really upped their game, sticking close to a lot of comic plot points but remixing it in cool and interesting ways!

Regarding Gabriel (Mild Comic Spoilers):
After they get to Alexandria he kind of just disappears. I guess in a TV show when you're hiring a good actor, you'd want to utilise him as much as you can!

In regards to how the rest of the season might play out (some spoilers, speculation):
4 more episodes? If I remember correctly there were a few more issues fighting against the Saviours, THAT abrupt scene and then a hostage "negotiation" issue... so that's at least two episodes. One episode might be Maggie and Carol seeing the Saviour base (like Carl later on in the comics), and then of course the finale. SO not looking forward to that. :(

Edited. :p Thanks Pyromaniac!

UberTag

Comic spoilers
guys Lucille is going to kill more then one person not just one that's how they're go to top the comic
I approve of this so long as
Negan goes after Glenn at first (eeny meeny miny moe), someone else (like Abe) steps up as a willing sacrifice to spare the expecting father-to-be, gets Lucilled in dramatic fashion, they TEASE ending things there (at the 10pm mark) and they then go into an overrun past the top of the hour and Lucille Glenn as well while Maggie watches and Negan cackles.

2 of you speculated about the next 5 episodes but note that there are only 4 episodes left.

4 straight superb episodes. This second half has arguably been the best of the series. Shit is just MOVING! The showrunners were commenting about how the pace ramps up in the back half but this is another level. Too many great moments in this episode to count. The producers have somehow fully redeemed Father Gabriel in my eyes. I thought no way it was possible back around the time of the Season 5 finale. Quoting bible verses and straight icing dudes is just as boss as Rick publicly executing civilians with blank stares on his face. lawd

I'm really liking how things are progressing.

(Comic Spoilers)
that gabriel kill is definitely one of the best of the entire season. Does anyone have the line he said before he took the shot?

Also Greg Nicotero has always important episodes but man every time his name as director comes up it seems like they're action packed too.

I wouldn't really consider them serial killers

My wording was confusing, but I was referring to the Saviors, not Rick's gang. Given that they have Polaroids of corpses that have been Lucille'd on their walls, I'd say they're definitely at least unrepentant cold-blooded killers. You'd think people like that would have put up more of a fight. Especially since they had way more people on their side than Rick's.

The fact that just Glenn and that other guy were able to take down a mob of them through a door is hilarious.

UberTag

How the hell are we going to handle sitting through 4 more episodes of this. Good lord our nerves will be shot.

NOOOOOO just realized the finale is gonna be the same night as Wrestlemania. Gonna have to media blackout that night or else just limit myself to Wrasslegaf until it's over.
Watch Walking Dead live. Don't torment yourself with 5 hours of fillermania without a break. Just PVR Mania so you can fast-forward through all of the crap and Roman's 3rd title win.
The NXT Takeover special in Dallas and the RAW After Wrestlemania... watch those live with WrassleGAF.

This episode was a 10, my goodness. This whole season has been one of the best of tv I have seen since last year. This looks like it'll end up being the best season of the Walking Dead.

My wording was confusing, but I was referring to the Saviors, not Rick's gang. Given that they have Polaroids of corpses that have been Lucille'd on their walls, I'd say they're definitely at least unrepentant cold-blooded killers. You'd think people like that would have put up more of a fight. Especially since they had way more people on their side than Rick's.

The fact that just Glenn and that other guy were able to take down a mob of them through a door is hilarious.

I know what you meant. The polaroids seem like Negan's reminder of what happens to the people that cross him.

I also see this episode as a way of bolstering Rick's group's confidence (as well as the non-comic book readers who may think the job is done).

But that scene set up a lot of scenes in the episode. If it hadn't happened, none of the things they did would have had the same impact.
Exactly. The two peple who have never killed before discussing that makes perfect sense and necessary for the later moment when Glenn finally crossed the line

Prologue

Walking Dead Season Two Rick: We can't kill this kid, we'll drive him off into the distance and leave him

Walking dead season 6 Rick: kills an entire compound with a dagger in the middle of the night.

hokahey

It's fun seeing people enjoy the show so much right now. This is also when the comics took a big leap forward and never looked back. The show should just keep getting better from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom