• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have never believed it a few years back if I was told that the Walking Dead would become one of my favorite on-going series. The show has been on point for me ever since season 5. There were a few missteps in the first half of this season, but the back half has been consistently good. I was expecting a total filler episode tonight and received a very intense one. Even without the final fifteen minutes, the difference in quality compared to an episode from season 2 is night and day. It blows my mind when people say to me, "I wish the Walking Dead would go back to being good like it was on Hershel's farm." The other day I had someone tell me that this season has been awful thus far, which he followed up by telling me how good Adam Sandler's latest film was. I just don't understand people sometimes. Oh well, great episode and I can't wait until next week.
I don't understand the hype for S2. The most boring season of the entire show. There were 8 episodes where almost absolutely nothing happened, it was a fucking farm simulator. Shane was the only one that kept it from being a 3/10 terrible season.

UberTag

Someone spoil me, who's the lady on the walkie?
There's nothing to spoil. She's not a character from the comics.
That said, the casting call pseudonym for this role was Polly.
She's played by Alicia Witt and it's expected that she's another of Negan's generals.
Think of her as another sub-boss to clear through until the main heavy reveals himself.

strafer

There's nothing to spoil. She's not a character from the comics.
That said, the casting call pseudonym for this role was Polly.
She's played by Alicia Witt and it's expected that she's another of Negan's generals.
Think of her as another sub-boss to clear through until the main heavy reveals himself.

Ah okay, thought it was some big character.

Walking Dead Season Two Rick: We can't kill this kid, we'll drive him off into the distance and leave him

Walking dead season 6 Rick: kills an entire compound with a dagger in the middle of the night.

Well, he's on a journey. First he disagrees with the way Shane wants to run things in this new world, but by the time he reaches Alexandria, he IS Shane.

He certainly disagreed with how the Governor had established himself in Woodbury. The Governor decided to push his new community into a war against Rick's prison community. And now here we are, with Rick basically pushing his community into a war with Negan's community, before even talking with them.

Rick has now become the Governor.

Well, he's on a journey. First he disagrees with the way Shane wants to run things in this new world, but by the time he reaches Alexandria, he IS Shane.

He certainly disagreed with how the Governor had established himself in Woodbury. The Governor decided to push his new community into a war against Rick's prison community. And now here we are, with Rick basically pushing his community into a war with Negan's community, before even talking with them.

Rick has now become the Governor.
With even the same rhetoric
"We go in, kill them all"

Pillville

They all picked the Mister Sandman perk before this mission.
I know it was mentioned already.

bbbef22891efb433f7c723f1305fc294.gif

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Killing people in their sleep? Man that was painful to watch. These guys have become monster, no different then others.

RangerX

Banned
Just got caught up. One of the best episodes of the show for me. The assault on the compound was such a great sequence with some nice camera work. It was really tense and illustrated how adept the group are at this kind of shit now. I really felt sorry for Glenn killing for the first time.

One of either Maggie or Carol are not getting out of that situation imo. The cast does need to be trimmed a bit. Also can anyone tell me what Carol was writing in her notebook? I thought it was the number of people she killed.

Kickz

So what the heck was Abe saying to Rosita??
It looked like he was leaving the group and then next scene he is on the mission??

Best episode this show has ever done got damn.

wut

I thought the episode was really poorly done. Our heroes were never in any real danger. They had God-mode enabled. I never felt like they could have died or were in danger of failing. It all went according to plan.

wut

I thought the episode was really poorly done. Our heroes were never in any real danger. They had God-mode enabled. I never felt like they could have died or were in danger of failing. It all went according to plan.
I don't think Abraham planned to get cut, or Maggie and Carol get abducted.

near

Gold Member
wut

But it didn't go according to plan as we're clearly shown at the end of the episode. In terms of the directing, dialogue, acting, set-pieces even to cinematography it was well executed. As far as the infiltration goes, that was done really well, in multiple scenes we see the main characters at risk, the team was split up at which point each of them were vulnerable. Abraham was almost taken out, Sasha saved him, alarm was signalled, Negan gang start pouring out. Glen & Heath cornered into a room. Aaron also caught slipping helped by Rosita. There were a few other instances where unprecedented situations occurred.

It was one of the most enjoyable episodes by far that pretty much excluded zombies.

ElyrionX

That was such a great episode. Pacing was top notch and action was great.

I had no idea Glenn had never killed a human before.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Watching Ricks morals diminish has been one of my favorite things about TWD. Personally, I hope they go all the way with it eventually.

Disturbing episode. It's going to be hard for me to feel bad for Rick and his group when shit does goes down after they
killed a half dozen people in their sleep.

That was such a great episode. Pacing was top notch and action was great.

I had no idea Glenn had never killed a human before.
that's why he was so conflicted back when he held nicholas at gunpoint, I think. if he pulled the trigger (and the mothafucker honestly did deserve to die) it would've been the first time he killed someone.

silva1991

Great episode

and man I feel so bad for Rosita :(

"I'm breaking up with you because well..... you're not the only woman exists you know"

and lol at Eugene.

ElyrionX

So Heath drove off already? He's probably gonna save them all?

And what's the deal with the bike? Is that Darryl's lost bike? When did he lose it?

Great episode

and man I feel so bad for Rosita :(

"I'm breaking up with you because well..... you're not the only woman exists you know"

and lol at Eugene.
COMIC TALK
i'm not 100% but I think in the comics she hooks up with eugene after that...and if that does happen I feel like she will be the man in the relationship
So Heath drove off already? He's probably gonna save them all?

And what's the deal with the bike? Is that Darryl's lost bike? When did he lose it?
daryl was stuck in the woods with two strangers who he made the mistake of trusting. they stole his bike, and his crossbow. later he found the gas truck they were looking for and reunited with abraham and sasha, then killed the first round of negan's henchmen.

silva1991

^
I wish I didn't read that because I though you were gonna talk about the episode

it will be interesting and funny if true tho lol.

near

Gold Member
^
I wish I didn't read that because I though you were gonna talk about the episode

it will be interesting and funny if true tho lol.

I don't read anything that's spoiler tagged in this thread, because it's going to be a comic spoiler whenever people can be bothered to spoiler tag them. :p

I don't read anything that's spoiler tagged in this thread, because it's going to be a comic spoiler whenever people can be bothered to spoiler tag them. :p
isn't that what we're supposed to do? it's just straight rude and impolite to just post spoilers without tags, not to mention a bannable offense, yeah?

near

Gold Member
isn't that what we're supposed to do? it's just straight rude and impolite to just post spoilers without tags, not to mention a bannable offense, yeah?

Absolutely. But there are a fair few that neglect that fact and still post them untagged, and then someone will quote said individual, have them edit it, but the quote will still be untagged. Its completely annoying. No one does anything about it. But you've done nothing wrong.

Zaph

It's usually best to proceed the spoiler tag with what it's spoiling. So people know if it's a comic spoiler, next episode preview or just a joke.

I don't think Abraham planned to get cut, or Maggie and Carol get abducted.

You could have had Abraham not get cut and it wouldn't have changed anything. And the abduction happened in the last 30 seconds of the episode. The assault went off without any serious sacrifice on the part of Rick's group up until the end of the episode.

But it didn't go according to plan as we're clearly shown at the end of the episode. In terms of the directing, dialogue, acting, set-pieces even to cinematography it was well executed. As far as the infiltration goes, that was done really well, in multiple scenes we see the main characters at risk, the team was split up at which point each of them were vulnerable. Abraham was almost taken out, Sasha saved him, alarm was signalled, Negan gang start pouring out. Glen & Heath cornered into a room. Aaron also caught slipping helped by Rosita. There were a few other instances where unprecedented situations occurred.

It was one of the most enjoyable episodes by far that pretty much excluded zombies.

I watched the episode so I know what happened. It was just killing of faceless enemies that the characters had no personal relationships with that made it boring. Rick takes out like 6 bad guys that run out on a catwalk which came off like a comedic bit than anything else. The most tense I felt happened at the end of the episode when the guy on the motorcycle was trying to escape. Was he going to go report to Negan about Rick's group? Did he see Jesus? Instead hes been taken down by one of Darryl's famous tackles. Thats what I wished had happened. Leaving the threat looming of real reprisal would have been great instead of 2 major characters being captured (but seemingly are in no immediate danger).

In the end nobody was seriously hurt. Nothing of real value was lost. The group is safe and Maggie and Carol was alive but captured by some people we've never met. It was all too easily accomplished.

-griffy-

Banned

You could mark the spoilers so people know it's from the comic rather than a set photo or leaked info from the show or something else, just to be clear exactly what the spoilers are. Like this:

(comic spoilers)
here are spoilers for the comic

Spoiler tagging stuff is so loose that it can all be confusing, since some people spoiler tag jokes, or spoiler tag speculation, or spoiler tag stuff that already happened in the show for some reason. It winds up training people to click on unmarked spoilers to not miss any of the convo, which leads to inadvertently getting real spoilers.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
But that scene set up a lot of scenes in the episode. If it hadn't happened, none of the things they did would have had the same impact.
Yeah it really made Glenn sliding a knife into a sleeping guys eye heart wrenching to watch. Like most people, I had assumed he had at least shot a couple of people at some point.

This is the Dream Team group right now. They're stacked as fuck. Never were this stacked in the comic.

The worst team was at the start of season 3 when Shane died. They really fucked up Ty. Would have been cool to see him in Alexandria instead of Sasha.

When Judith grows up I wonder if Rick will see Shane in her.

ElyrionX

daryl was stuck in the woods with two strangers who he made the mistake of trusting. they stole his bike, and his crossbow. later he found the gas truck they were looking for and reunited with abraham and sasha, then killed the first round of negan's henchmen.

Oh, I didn't know that gas truck they were driving belonged to those guys. So the implication is that those guys got killed or captured by Negan's gang?

Comic Spoilers

I hope they make Negans hideout like Mad Max like in the comic. A giant over the top fortress. Was there a moat? I forgot, but I remember Negan had like 5 wives. Always wondered how this dude got to power and what he did before the events of the outbreak. His character arc in the comic has been great and seems like he's gonna turn face

nillah

Banned
Disturbing episode. It's going to be hard for me to feel bad for Rick and his group when shit does goes down after they
killed a half dozen people in their sleep.
Hey, you gotta do watcha gotta do. Was actually one of the smartest ways in going about the executions very well could have been the other way around so it's all fair play in CC.

What's up with Carol being all motherly to Maggie all of a sudden, I want to say it's because of her encounter with the stoop kid that night but it's so out of the blue lol

Also, isn't Alexandria vulnerable with the absence of the group? Could see some shit going down

Killing people in their sleep? Man that was painful to watch. These guys have become monster, no different then others.

Yeah, the episode took the easy out a couple of times, which was a little disappointing. They made sure to cast all of The Saviors to look like bad/intimidating/scum guys. Also, when Glenn killed the first guy, they showed us the horrible pictures on the wall to indicate that 'these guys are no angels' so it's 'okay'. Gore pictures of people with their brains blown gave the impression that these guys are desensitized monsters and worth killing.

Again, it would have been much more interesting if The Saviours were a mirror of them, and we could clearly see the choice they've made and the line they've crossed for their own survival.

But The Walking Dead isn't that kind of show, unfortunately. They go to a point, but leave it as mainstream as possible.

jett

D-Member
Episode rocked. This whole half-season continues to be great. Padre finally not being a bitch.

Technically, every local screening of The Walking Dead is a free event. You are guaranteed a seat if you buy a $5 drink ticket that can be traded in towards a pint of beer or a glass of wine. If those drink tickets sell out, then you can't get in for free (ticket-holders are seated first).

Unless it's a season premiere or a season finale, most shows don't sell out but still draw a pretty sizable crowd. The threat of getting locked out of a showing is enough to make most people buy a drink ticket.

I think it's a pretty smart way to run a theatre, honestly. Sunday night concession sales are going to be pretty low if you are just running movies that are showing at every other theatre. But if you can get a free event running that drives concession sales (particularly alcohol sales with a high profit margin), then you are way better off than just having 1 additional screening of a box office favorite. Since The Walking Dead starts at 9PM they can still run a 7 O'Clock showing of whatever they want. They only miss out on whatever tiny sales and concessions a 9PM Sunday screening might do. Since they serve food, beer, and wine they probably make a lot more on Walking Dead than they would on some random Hollywood blockbuster.

That's a pretty cool. I imagine it's not a chain? The only thing similar to that we have here is for some live sporting events.

Hey, you gotta do watcha gotta do. Was actually one of the smartest ways in going about the executions very well could have been the other way around so it's all fair play in CC.

What's up with Carol being all motherly to Maggie all of a sudden, I want to say it's because of her encounter with the stoop kid that night but it's so out of the blue lol

Also, isn't Alexandria vulnerable with the absence of the group? Could see some shit going down

She's had time to relax and be a motherly figure to people. Her humanity has likely reasserted itself which led her to being angry with Maggie, as she is now a mother and has more to lose.

near

Gold Member
I watched the episode so I know what happened. It was just killing of faceless enemies that the characters had no personal relationships with that made it boring. Rick takes out like 6 bad guys that run out on a catwalk which came off like a comedic bit than anything else. The most tense I felt happened at the end of the episode when the guy on the motorcycle was trying to escape. Was he going to go report to Negan about Rick's group? Did he see Jesus? Instead hes been taken down by one of Darryl's famous tackles. Thats what I wished had happened. Leaving the threat looming of real reprisal would have been great instead of 2 major characters being captured (but seemingly are in no immediate danger).

In the end nobody was seriously hurt. Nothing of real value was lost. The group is safe and Maggie and Carol was alive but captured by some people we've never met. It was all too easily accomplished.

Well it was an infiltration, hence killing enemies stealthy was the plan, there was no time for meet and greets.

The guy on the bike was a means to an end. If I remember correctly the woman on the walkie talkie had a visual on them, and therefore would've had a visual on Jesus anyway.

You're entitled to disliking an episode I've got no disputes with you there, but the points you're highlighting do not support your claim that the episode was poorly done. Simply because the narrative did not go the way you had hoped, does not suggest a poorly executed plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom