• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
i didn't read the comics so i don't know how the situation was there....but regadring the TV Show, Negan would have every right to be pissed of and attack Alexandria at this point.

Sadist

In this episode: we learn yet again that Carol is an ice queen. You cold darling.

I mean, damn. Carol from the start looks for a way out and misleads the Saviour women with ease. I didn't expect Paula to crack so easily though. The other women were just baby birds, waiting to be murdered by the eagle that is Carol. I don't think Morgan's influence is that big on her; during all the episodes of the Walking Dead they showed her becoming very capable in fighting off adult opponents. But as soon she comes in contact with kids or women like Paula (or the now pregnant Maggie) who lost it all she starts having doubt and show remorse. On the other hand... she locked two dudes and flicked a smoke in to set them on fire.

As for Rick becoming so bloodthirsty... he's been gradually slipping towards this state of mind after reaching Alexandria; thinking back about everything he did, this kill seems more pointless. Hell, the last few kills are really battle hardened. Even fellow Alexandrians aren't safe. He simply lost patience because of Primo's bs. I mean this is the same guy who;

- killed Thomas (the creepy inmate) without hesitation by planting a machette into his skull because Tomas is a comvicted murderer, kills one of his fellow inmates and deems him a threat to the group.
- killed the reclaimer leader by ripping his jugular out with only his teeth because Carl was going to be raped.
- straight up murdered Gareth (Terminus/Hunter) by hacking him into itty bitty pieces with a machete after Gareths group ate some Bob's Burgers.
- after some fisticuffs (hehe, who me?) killed Peter Anderson. While he did kill Reginald, was an abusive dick against his family and seemed very unstable at that time, Rick hastened the process of Pete going crazy. He just wanted to tap dat Jessie ass.
- Rick murders the Hilltop guy who stabs Gregory, because he gets assaulted by him as well.

These kills were mostly justified and Rick had a good reason. The Primo kill... yikes. Maybe Rick should punch zombie heads again for some good old fashioned anger management.

En-ou

What a pathetic episode that was...just talking and zero rising action and now the group is altogether again with none dead. Lol. What I find even funnier is you guys debating over these badly written characters by halfbrained writers.

What a pathetic episode that was...just talking and zero rising action and now the group is altogether again with none dead. Lol. What I find even funnier is you guys debating over these badly written characters by halfbrained writers.

See you next week.

Because a character dying is the only metric to measure if anything happened in an episode...

Hahaha thanks for the views and lining those writers pockets

I'm decently picky about TV. But I have very few complaints about The Walking Dead. It's a fun, fun show.

Yes, sure, the writing is sometimes questionable (e.g., unmotivated or inexplicable behaviors, awkward conversations, chunky pacing, etc.). But I find it consistently fun and exciting. It's one of my favorite shows on TV. And I'm absolutely loving this half of the season.

(Admission: I've not read very far into the comics, so I don't have any expectations or preferences based on the source material.)

gioGAF

These kills were mostly justified and Rick had a good reason. The Primo kill... yikes. Maybe Rick should punch zombie heads again for some good old fashioned anger management.
I don't get it, what was he supposed to do? The only reason this guy was still alive is because his allies intervened by capturing Carol and Maggie.

Is Rick and Co. supposed to take this guy back to Alexandria and "rehabilitate" him? They would have to feed him and guard him. They are low on food and he represents a clear threat to his people. Are they supposed to let him go? What options did you think they had?

Rick was being pragmatic, this captive had outlived his usefulness and was clearly uncooperative. There is no jail, there are no facilities for him. No bullshit, Rick did what he was supposed to do. Many people here are being tripped up by emotions, this is a time of war.

Tobor

They don't have a whole lot of options for character development on this show. Weak to killer back to weak then back to killer...rinse and repeat until your face gets chewed off.

Carol at least can still kill while going through this sensitive phase.

I thought it was one of the best episodes I have seen in a while.

It's insane how decompressed the story has remained in the TV show. In that regard, and pretty much most of the plot, the tv show is so faithful to the comics. Yea, some things play out a little differently.

The comics are too decompressed. You have to wait years and years to see how one skirmish will play out. They're on like what issue 150 now in the comics? Something like 12 years of storytelling, and the TV show is not that far behind now.

AMC want to go 20 seasons, maybe they've go even longer. It's slow enough, but the TV show is catching up. And my god, the comics are so poorly written. He can come up with some decent characters and conflicts, but he seems to be repeating the same conflict and theme over and over, without really tackling that theme very well. And Robert Kirkman has no capacity for language. He fucking loves cliched language. Every single rote expression, Kirkman uses them like he thinks it's intelligent. And of course, tons and tons of exposition.

RootCause

They don't have a whole lot of options for character development on this show. Weak to killer back to weak then back to killer...rinse and repeat until your face gets chewed off.

Carol at least can still kill while going through this sensitive phase.
That's why I'm happy(well not all of them :p) when characters get killed.
It makes room for new characters, and hopefully better story lines.

They're making it seem like Negan has this huge army, but I don't understand how they've never stumbled across Alexandria. The Wolves were able to find it somehow.

They're making it seem like Negan has this huge army, but I don't understand how they've never stumbled across Alexandria. The Wolves were able to find it somehow.

Wolves found Aaron's backpack with photos and information about Alexandria. And were presumably a lot closer geographically.

Hilltop is a day's drive away from Alexandria, the place Rick and co. just shot up was probably a lot closer to Hilltop than Alexandria.

This is the little things about Twd that I do nitpick at. The wolves have been around that Lin and barely found Alexandria ? No one ever came across the terminus signs ?

someday

Banned
They did settle down in peace in Alexandria for a two-month stretch (the first time Carol has done that since between Seasons 3 & 4 in the prison). She shacked up with Tobin. She had to deal with the consequences of filling Sam's head full of nonsense that led to him getting his family killed and Carl shot. I'd say quite a bit of notable development took place.
This is something that is driving me nuts and I've seen it mentioned a lot. Carol has no idea whatsoever that her comments led Sam to freaking out and dying. No one has any idea what he was seeing before he got bitten. She may be sad that Sam is dead but she is not at all looking at it as something that she caused. Honestly, it's one reason I hate the way the show did this. He should have died after calling for his mother. It was a needless change considering they ended the first half of the season with that iconic moment then completely ret-conned it and made it messy.

KDkseRn.gif

imagine an outsider doing this to one of the main characters that we know. that person would be the season's villain.

they just murdered a ton of people in their sleep last week and im supposed to think they're sane or something?

they're all pretty awful people at this point. doesnt do much for me caring if any of them are killed themselves.

This is the little things about Twd that I do nitpick at. The wolves have been around that Lin and barely found Alexandria ? No one ever came across the terminus signs ?
Abe, Sasha, and Daryl encountered Saviors 20 miles away. Hilltop is a day's drive away

Those are big distances. To be that in perspective, the distance between White Plains in Westchester and Manhattan is 28 miles. No way are you going to be aware of things going in one place or the other.

And Terminus was in Georgia

Abe, Sasha, and Daryl encountered Saviors 20 miles away. Hilltop is a day's drive away

Those are big distances. To be that in perspective, the distance between White Plains in Westchester and Manhattan is 28 miles. No way are you going to be aware of things going in one place or the other.

And Terminus was in Georgia
Yeah I know just like I said I'm just nitpicking like Merle said this world gets smaller it's just funny that the wolves have never stumbled across it

those saying that the hilltop people/Gregory know the Face of Negan

i just randomly watched episode 11 in german with my sister (normaly watch in english) and Jesus said about Negan: the saviours came in the name of Negan, made their demands and killed the boy. Not Negan himself

So if its not a mistranslation in the german version -even the Hilltop people don't know negan

jett

D-Member
imagine an outsider doing this to one of the main characters that we know. that person would be the season's villain.

they just murdered a ton of people in their sleep last week and im supposed to think they're sane or something?

they're all pretty awful people at this point. doesnt do much for me caring if any of them are killed themselves.

They are what the zombipocalypse has made them.

So pretty much just like all the villains. :eek:
Our group stopped being good a long time ago, save for one or two characters.
Well, they're good in terms of not killing people on the road to take their stuff or not luring people to their community to slaughter them. And they still feel remorse for what they do. They haven't crossed those lines.

That's a you problem then. Yep they're evil people, but they're OUR evil people.

I think it's silly that anybody could possibly still finger wag them. We've seen it time and again - in this world, even one fleeting moment of weakness can get you and all of your loved ones killed.

I think some people here need to come to grips with the fact that they just can't watch a show where people have to commit atrocities just to stay alive.

Cracklox

Why can't this show string together more then 3 or 4 good episodes. I don't think over its whole run its managed to imo. Like the beginning of season 3, this half season started really strong but I really didn't enjoy the latest ep, and hope it doesn't turn into the shitfest that season 3 turned into by the end (sans a few episodes). Signs indicate it may.

I've only read up to issue 60 or so in the comics so Negan and this whole arc is brand new to me, but so far on the show his crew has been jobbing harder then Barry Horowitz. Whole crew of 7-8 dudes get 1 shot by Darryl, outpost of 15-20 guys gets taken down with minimal resistance. Survivors get out of that situation, take 2 hostages and proceed to fuck that up through typical tv badguy incompetence and end up dead, along with costing the lives of the people they radioed for help. These guys are meant to be some sort of threat? Also, like someone else said, why send just TWO dudes, to rescue your people who had just survived a whole outpost being wiped. You'd think they would have taken it a little more serious, particularly if they're as well armed as we have been led to believe

Now, some comic spoiler/speculation
Through bad spoiler highlighting on my part, I read that Negan makes an example out of Glen in the comics. I don't mind Glen, but the whole death fake out recently would be pretty pointless if he dies a half season later. Aside from that after all the murder that Grimey and crew has committed (unprovoked at that) I think Negan needs to even the score a little more cause right now the bodycount score is about 30 to nothing

Also, I'd love to see an episode or web spin off or whatever, that shows an unknown character going about their business, living life in the post-apoc and generally just being a living breathing human trying to get on with things. Then it can end when their base is snuck into in the middle of the night and murdered by people that they never knew....

Good guy/bad guy line has gotten so blurred I'm not sure its even there anymore. That's not necessarily a bad thing either

Uploaded Episode 5 of DAY AFTER DEAD, this podcast I host for TWD/Fear. Maybe a few of you will find it interesting, wouldn't mind feedback as we're still scrubs at this stuff.
See you next week.
lol yeah, my qualms with this show are overshadowed by how much I generally enjoy it. My point of comparison is usually with that season spent searching for Sophia and how much the show has improved since then.

Great show, but I wonder if it'd be better served with 2-4 less episodes per season (1-2 less episodes per half season) as they continue with Fear The Walking Dead. I wouldn't want them to run the risk of zombie fatigue so quickly.

That's a you problem then. Yep they're evil people, but they're OUR evil people.

I think it's silly that anybody could possibly still finger wag them. We've seen it time and again - in this world, even one fleeting moment of weakness can get you and all of your loved ones killed.

I think some people here need to come to grips with the fact that they just can't watch a show where people have to commit atrocities just to stay alive.

Sure, this is a post-apocalyptic world with zombies. But I'd say that the showrunners care about more than gore and death. They'd probably see the series as an allegory, and I think there are certainly parallels we can apply to the real world. I mean, you could make the same statement about a family in Syria, rival inner-city gangs in America, or even politics. People always have a choice, and a viable solution can entail not going to the basest of human nature to survive. Because what's the cost to your humanity? Is that life worth living? Is just continuing to breathe worth those atrocities?

These characters are proxies for ourselves, and so of course we want them to make the right choice, because we want to believe that it's possible to retain humanity even in the worst situations.

SamuraiX-

As if the wait for the finale wasn't painful enough already, here's some more 616 nothingstopsthistrain hype for ya'll:

Ross Marquand said:
"I think it's probably the most wrought, like emotionally wrought, and dark episode I've ever read, regardless of this show or not," the actor says. "I've never seen or read an episode that is so dark and so compelling in my life and that's the God's honest truth. I told Andy, I don't normally get so affected by scripts that I have to put them down, but I had to stop reading this at three different times. I couldn't read it, it was messing me up. It was tough to read. It's phenomenal writing but it's just so emotionally dark and twisted that we had to put it down several times."

"I mean, it's that good. It's so, so well done. Now, I just feel like it's our job to make the script come to life and now it's just our job to kick ass and make it really pop. The script is so phenomenal that I think if everyone is just doing their jobs, it's gonna be one of the most talked about episodes, ever."
Lennie James said:
"Firstly, it is a phenomenal piece of writing, but secondly, (Minor Finale Spoilers)
one of the greatest introductions of a character that I can remember in any television series, let alone in our television series."
Melissa McBride said:
"It was so very dark," McBride says about the season six finale's script. "I couldn't say anything after I had finished reading it. I felt like I had dropped into a blackhole."

HHHNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Sure, this is a post-apocalyptic world with zombies. But I'd say that the showrunners care about more than gore and death. They'd probably see the series as an allegory, and I think there are certainly parallels we can apply to the real world. I mean, you could make the same statement about a family in Syria, rival inner-city gangs in America, or even politics. People always have a choice, and a viable solution can entail not going to the basest of human nature to survive. Because what's the cost to your humanity? Is that life worth living? Is just continuing to breathe worth those atrocities?

These characters are proxies for ourselves, and so of course we want them to make the right choice, because we want to believe that it's possible to retain humanity even in the worst situations.

It's nice to talk in an abstract fashion, but how would YOU have solved some of the dilemma's they faced?

I can't speak for you, but i'll tell you that if I stepped into any of their shoes the captive they had would never have lived. The warm fuzzy feeling from my good deed in freeing him would have fallen apart quickly after my recently freed captive rendezvoused with his compatriots with a full description of every member in my squad, what weapons we have, and our tactics. Rick tried to solve the hostage dilemma amicably, and it was rejected. What other choice did he have? In that same vein, how do you get your people back without bloodshed? How does Daryl talk his way out of the group's first encounter with Negan's followers? It's nice to preach pacifism, however there have been very few opportunities for anyone from any group to apply them practically. I disagree with Morgan's philosophy for pacifism. In theory it's fantastic, but as your numbers increase how do you keep your fellow survivors fed, and clothed when resources ever dwindle?

I agree that the picture the show paints is bleak, but I submit that it could be depicted far, FAR worse. For example in this universe women move around relatively freely and are generally unconcerned about their personal safety outside of the persistent walker threat. In a real world scenario, the incidences of rape alone would be far higher, even within a circle of people considered to be safe. Our real world's history has shown us that throughout time whenever society devolves rape is often the first thing to spike in occurence.

Man Rick you done did it, Negan gon give it to em.

This is like when Terminus fucked up when they went after Rick, shoe is on the other foot now.

Wow, good job being a condescending asshole. If you have such disdain for the show why the fuck are you in here spouting your shit while the rest of us try to "debate?"

GavinGT

Banned
You know we don't actually have reason to think theres still a Negan out there...other than comic readers hyping stuff up.

It's unfortunate that they made such a big deal about who they cast for the role. It really hurts the impact of what they're trying to do here.

They don't go out looking for communities to terrorise or steal from, unlike Negan. They are reacting to clear and present danger.

Razmos

Not content with being the worst character on the show and getting no screen time (rightfully so), Morgan decides to ruin Carol as well, one of the best characters on the show. I wouldn't mind her being a little less brutal and having a heart, but they've gone way too far in the other direction to the point t where she just isn't fun to watch any more.

Alpende

They don't go out looking for communities to terrorise or steal from, unlike Negan. They are reacting to clear and present danger.

Negan was not a clear and present threat to them. They made him a danger because they wanted Gregory's / Hilltop's resources. They could have found another way to get the stuff they needed without having to kill people in their sleep. They're kinda bad people.

I just hope Negan is gonna fuck some shit up.

raphier

Banned
Negan was not a clear and present threat to them. They made him a danger because they wanted Gregory's / Hilltop's resources. They could have found another way to get the stuff they needed without having to kill people in their sleep. They're kinda bad people.

I just hope Negan is gonna fuck some shit up.

They heard the story, they saw how the Saviors deals with Hilltop. With iron fists and regards from Negan. The Saviors beat a teenager from Hilltop to death to show their power. They extort people, demand half or they kill you. Sooner or later the the gang would have met them and Negan would've striked a similar deal with them. The danger is present. Deal with the wolves before they deal with you.

bidguy

Banned
wow ricks group killed tons of negans people how was the introduction in the comics ? i mean i could 100% understand if negan wants to see heads roll now.

i mean his people got blown up, stabbed in the head and burned, id imagine hes pretty pissed off by now

I mean, let's not pretend that Negan and his people were just minding their own business and Rick & co. just attacked them completely unprovoked

Remember their first encounter with the Saviors was a group that wanted to take their stuff, find their community, and then kill them (after saying they've kill a lot of people before)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom