• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowParry

But so far he's an incredibly boring, one-note cliche villain like we've seen in ten thousand movies and shows. Glib wise-cracking sadist. Yawn.

Comic readers insist he gets good later but show watchers are under no obligation to take their word for it.

Let me guess. You thought Governor was a better villain right?

That glare he was giving Negan was straight out of the comic.

Agreed.

When I saw the look he gave Steven Ogg last season? He's going to pull off the more badass and ruthless Carl just fine - if it goes like that.

carlandsaviortwdgdxaz.png

I hate the mustache twirling character they pasted on Negan. This desperately needed him to be a character who did what he thought was right in the name of justice and yet they just made him Ramsey from Game of Thrones.

Fucking awful.
Negan lost like 50+ people and only set out to kill one. He was forced to kill another. He didn't make Rick cut off Carl's hand. I'm not saying he's a nice guy but he did the bare minimum to break the Alexandrian's collective spirit.

Morgan and Carol, nice.

Morgan's gonna surprise this season I think, he's gonna finally get to wreck some shit.

Agreed.

When I saw the look he gave Steven Ogg last season? He's going to pull off the more badass and ruthless Carl just fine - if it goes like that.

carlandsaviortwdgdxaz.png

Yup, that was great.

LowParry

Negan lost like 50+ people and only set out to kill one. He was forced to kill another. He didn't make Rick cut off Carl's hand. I'm not saying he's a nice guy but he did the bare minimum to break the Alexandrian's collective spirit.

Think of it this way. Negan see's a group of people that are more than capable of taking out his men. What better way than to get those people into your fold to do those said things. His army just got a lot stronger.

I loved JDM but I can't say I really liked the episode itself, it needed to be a two parter to last season's cliffhanger and cut down. And by the time this episode hit I've already imagined everyone dying in every brutal way, the only part that stuck with me was Rick completely breaking down when having to chop off Coral's arm.

Lothar

Banned
But so far he's an incredibly boring, one-note cliche villain like we've seen in ten thousand movies and shows. Glib wise-cracking sadist. Yawn.

Comic readers insist he gets good later but show watchers are under no obligation to take their word for it.

He's an amazing glib wise-cracking sadist. It's also very interesting that he didn't go through with having Rick cut off Carl's arm, that he gave a warning before killing a second person and told them what would happen, and that he pointed out that Rick had killed a lot of his people.

UberTag

Yep but you and I k ow this this was not hit on at all during this episode. Rather than have him hahahahaha his way through scenes, they needed to paint a clear contrast in how he and Rick feel about their respective families. There was not a moment t of dialogue that touched on how Negan felt about his men.
There will be other episodes where this perspective is going to be covered. It didn't have to be (nor should it have been) conveyed tonight.

OrionX

I loved JDM but I can't say I really liked the episode itself, it needed to be a two parter to last season's cliffhanger and cut down. And by the time this episode hit I've already imagined everyone dying in every brutal way, the only part that stuck with me was Rick completely breaking down when having to chop off Coral's arm.

I thought the episode was fine personally, but it still feels like they took what should've been the finale and tacked it onto this season. Next week will be the real start of the new season.

Kard8p3

Yep but you and I k ow this this was not hit on at all during this episode. Rather than have him hahahahaha his way through scenes, they needed to paint a clear contrast in how he and Rick feel about their respective families. There was not a moment t of dialogue that touched on how Negan felt about his men.

There kinda was.

"You work for me." "You can live a life producing for me."

He basically sees other people as lesser beings, his men included.

LowParry

No. The episode aired and this is a thread to discuss this season. Spoiler culture ffs

That is correct.

"Standard rules apply: after the 9PM ET / 6PM PT airing of a new episode, the details of that episode may be discussed openly without the use of spoiler tags. Please remember to spoiler tag any preview and/or promo discussion for episodes that have not aired."

Slixshot

Banned
Why? It aired already. Only comic and promo material needs to be spoilered.

Ep already aired. Believe he's fine in here, no future spoilers.

Is that how this works?

My fault. I assumed that we weren't allowed to post anything so important without spoilers in case someone who hasn't seen it stops into the thread to see reactions.\

7810599.jpg

Daryl got taken prisoner. Negan left Rick with Aaron, Eugene, his son and a bunch of grieving women. (Well, I suppose Michonne wasn't grieving that much.)

I apologize. I was wrong.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Umm.

Do you know how money / business works?
Game of Thrones has done it better multiple times and is the biggest HBO show ever and has had the exact same type of cultural phenomenona this show has had. One uses cheap ways to retain an audience, the other gets nominated for Emmys.

Remove the picture and type that in spoilers.
Episode is over, spoilers are fair game with who died (in this thread).

Probably this one and next one. Personally I just hope they say the next season is the last, split it into two parts and give the show the budget it deserves.

UberTag

How long did Governor stuff went on for? I'm seeing Negan be the villain of the next 2-3 seasons.
Gov hung around for just under a season and a half.

The Governor was alive and kicking in The Walking Dead comic for 22 issues... from Issue 27 through Issue 48.
Negan, by comparison...
_____________is still around after 60 issues_____________

Game of Thrones has done it better multiple times and is the biggest HBO show ever and has had the exact same type of cultural phenomenona this show has had. One uses cheap ways to retain an audience, the other gets nominated for Emmys.
True enough. Nobody should be putting tonight's episode up on the same pedestal as Game of Thrones.

I agree with everything he said in the review. The show is pulling the same crap over and over again. There's no pathos here, it's just wanton slaughter with no purpose or meaning behind it.

This episode was about Negan breaking Rick and getting him to fall in line, which is no easy task. Negan could have just had everyone in the lineup slaughtered and been done with it, but he sees the value in Rick and his group and wants to try and 'assimilate' them. Doing so requires breaking the leader in front of the group. None of the slaughter was wanton. It was all calculated. As soon as he saw Rick 'break', the slaughter ended. Negan will be revealed to be a much more complicated character than he at first appears to be.

Is that how this works?

My fault. I assumed that we weren't allowed to post anything so important without spoilers in case someone who hasn't seen it stops into the thread to see reactions.

I apologize. I was wrong.
It's cool haha. My advice to others is don't go into show threads if you're not caught up

Pilgrimzero

The thing about Negan is he's not just some crazy dictator. He and his society have rules. New world ORDER. And while he does force people to gather for him he also helps keep the area zombie free plus protection from outside forces.

As JDM said, Negan isn't the "bad guy". He's forged order out of chaos and wants to keep it that way. Being a part of his society and follow the rules and things are better for everyone.

But it's a forced order that you have no say in. A dictatorship.

So is he a bad guy for keeping his society safe? He doesn't think so.

He's not crazy like the Gov. Or most other antagonist the group meets. Which makes him more interesting a villain.

Tankard

That's exactly what I expected. I wonder what people expect though. Is an episode that's that brutal a bad episode? Is extreme brutality no good?

Wait, is this seriously his explanation for why he gave the episode a 6? He couldn't handle the sadism? The character is a shitty person on a lost world without any laws,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom