• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bender

What time is it?
Really thought the show runners chickened out and sparred Glenn. Glad that wasn't the case so now we can't get back to core group members being in danger. Jeffrey Dean Morgan was excellent.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
If I were positive about him you'd be quiet right now. If my opinion changes I'll let you know.
I don't really care if you are positive or negative about him, but you shouldn't say a character is zero dimensional when it's only the first look at him. Now after this season or maybe the mid-season and he still acts like he did today, and there is no reason for why he is, or he doesn't show a different personality when no one is around...than you could say he has no character depth and I would agree with you.

The Kree

Banned
I don't really care if you are positive or negative about him, but you shouldn't say a character is zero dimensional when it's only the first look at him. Now after this season or maybe the mid-season and he still acts like he did today, and there is no reason for why he is, or he doesn't show a different personality when no one is around...than you could say he has no character depth and I would agree with you.

I think 60 minutes of "GRRR I'M EVIL" is plenty of time to form an opinion.

dubq

JDM is great in every role he plays, including Negan (and yes even as Denny in Grey's anatomy, lol) but this show bores the fuck out of me. That, and I'm sick of Rick's annoying face and Lincoln's shitty acting.

Chumley

Banned

It was 60 minutes of him trying to psychologically break down Rick, the only time his true self came out was at the very end when he grabbed him by the neck and got Rick to look at him how he wanted. I thought it was a brilliant performance, and showed that there's more to him than just some utterly monstrous bombastic showman.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Wow! So well done.

Looking back at the Glenn death fakeout early last season and how Abraham seemed to be setting himself up to die by falling in love I had decided it was going to be one of them that was intimate with Lucille.
Both choices had their benefits. Both choices has their negatives.

I am shocked and very pleased that the writers of the show were brave enough to go this route.
I am very excited to see how this season plays out.

Can't say I have ever watched a season premiere that created that much tension for me.

👏👏👏

border

Negan was off. I get that the writers do their own thing, but they needed to nail this character from the get go and they failed miserably at that. Reducing him to a simpleton sociopath did this show no favors

I've only read 5-6 issues beyond #100 in the comics, but Negan always just seemed like a sociopath to me. When does he become more than that? He has a code and an order that works, but I don't think of him as a simpleton even as depicted on the TV show. His manipulation of Rick in this episode pretty clearly shows that he's more than a base neanderthal.

I've only read 5-6 issues beyond #100 in the comics, but Negan always just seemed like a sociopath to me. When does he becomes more than that? He has a code and an order that works, but I don't think of him as a simpleton even as depicted on the TV show.

Comic spoiler:
Negan's still evolving in the comic some 59 issues later.

WaffleTaco

You can form an opinion of him that he is a bad dude, but not character dimension. I mean he was literally trying to break the group down so that they would listen to him, of course he is going to act as sadistic as possible. I would also say him in the end not making Rick cut Carl's arm off, was showing that he was somewhat reasonable.

Genryu

Banned
You can form an opinion of him that he is a bad dude, but not character dimension. I mean he was literally trying to break the group down so that they would listen to him, of course he is going to act as sadistic as possible. I would also say him in the end not making Rick cut Carl's arm off, was showing that he was somewhat reasonable.

If anything, Negan is incredibly unreasonable. He was only going to kill one of them after their group had killed dozens of his in their sleep.

Chumley

Banned

That whole sequence was one of the most convincing portrayals of someone's spirit breaking before our eyes I've ever seen. I don't know how people can say Lincoln is a bad actor.

If anything, Negan is incredibly unreasonable. He was only going to kill one of them after their group had killed dozens of his in their sleep.

Exactly. We're seeing everything from Rick's POV so our perspective is warped. Sure, most if not all of those guys were bad dudes, but Rick still killed a fuck ton of Negan's men and Negan only killed two in return. Amazing that he has the loyalty of so many guys when he's technically being incredibly forgiving to their enemies.

border

I am kinda sorry that Maggie didn't learn her lesson, and didn't feel any regret. She was the one that agreed and even pushed to take on Negan despite knowing nothing about the size or depth of his army. Instead of feeling even a moment of guilt, she immediately comes to the conclusion that they need to start fighting him again.

WaffleTaco

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, in fact I thought that was going to be the reason they killed two of Rick's group, not because of Daryl being a dumbass.

That whole sequence was one of the most convincing portrayals of someone's spirit breaking before our eyes I've ever seen. I don't know how people can say Lincoln is a bad actor.
I've always enjoyed Lincoln's acting. In the season 6 finale, he was also great at acting how someone realised they are truly screwed after each twist and turn there were more and more of Negan's men.

Eh, I mean it was expected but all the same the song and dance is getting old.
Care to elaborate?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

Exactly. We're seeing everything from Rick's POV so our perspective is warped. Sure, most if not all of those guys were bad dudes, but Rick still killed a fuck ton of Negan's men and Negan only killed two in return. Amazing that he has the loyalty of so many guys when he's technically being incredibly forgiving to their enemies.

But it isn't about being forgiving at all.
It's about ownership and power.
He needs Rick and his group to work/produce for him and his people.
In the books he talks about how there is no long term benefit to him by killing everyone.
But having people obey him, fear him and work for him has many benefits.

Chumley

Banned
I am kinda sorry that Maggie didn't learn her lesson, and didn't feel any regret. She was the one that agreed and even pushed to take on Negan despite knowing nothing about the size or depth of his army. Instead of feeling even a moment of guilt, she immediately comes to the conclusion that they need to start fighting him again.

She was completely out of her mind already from pregnancy, and then just watched Glenn die. Might as well have been talking jibberish at that moment.

In the books he talks about how there is no long term benefit to him by killing everyone.

I know, but it's likely a lot of his men were begging him to kill them all for what they did. "We need them to make more money" could easily be seen as an excuse for being too nice to them, regardless of whatever long term benefits that might have.

HardRojo

Her partner just got his skull smashed to death, she's probably burning in anger and wants to destroy Negan, can't blame her tbh.

giphy.gif

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

What?!?!
For real?

You honestly think that people have the ability to make logical decisions when facing hugely intensive emotional situations?

Didn't Maggie even comment how that she was the reason that they were out there?

The show only has a few core members left, 4, 5 if you count Maggie. The writers have to be reaaaal careful cause if a few more die, the show loses steam with the audience since those guys are who we root for. Without them ratings are going to take a hit.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
She was completely out of her mind already from pregnancy, and then just watched Glenn die. Might as well have been talking jibberish at that moment.

I know, but it's likely a lot of his men were begging him to kill them all for what they did. "We need them to make more money" could easily be seen as an excuse for being too nice to them, regardless of whatever long term benefits that might have.

You are assuming that a large percentage of his men aren't also afraid of him.
You are assuming that the burns and scars that mang of these men have on them came from extracurricular activities.

What makes you think that Neegan hasn't used fear as a motivator in some of his other relationships?

Chumley

Banned
You are assuming that a large percentage of his men aren't also afraid of him.
You are assuming that the burns and scars that mang of these men have on them came from extracurricular activities.

What makes you think that Neegan hasn't used fear as a motivator in some of his other relationships?

That's my point. Loyalty of that level be it through fear or however else is impressive. And I've read the comics, I know how the burn marks got there. Dude is a certified sociopath.

Azzanadra

The show only has a few core members left, 4, 5 if you count Maggie. The writers have to be reaaaal careful cause if a few more die, the show loses steam with the audience since those guys are who we root for. Without them ratings are going to take a hit.

Not necessarily, as characters die, new ones take their place- I fully expect Aaron, Sasha and Rosita for example to be more important characters going forward.

Belfast

I read the comics but don't necessarily judge by 1:1 reenactment.

The difference here is that in the books they are clear from this moment just what drives Negan whereas here he is just a dude who wacks dudes with a bat. There is an ideology that drives him and one that parallels Rick's, which we will see explored later no doubt. The point of Negan is that Rick was never a Shane but a borderline Negan.

Just reread that issue and it's nearly the same in terms of what Negan displays as motivation. I don't know where you're getting this from.

Vestal

She just watched 2 people one of whom is the father of her child have they're skulls crushed with a barbed bat and their brains basically splattered all over the ground.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Not necessarily, as characters die, new ones take their place- I fully expect Aaron, Sasha and Rosita for example to be more important characters going forward.

Or they might introduce new characters to the show that are even more exciting. 😎

border

Negan sees value in human life, even if the value only comes from others' ability to benefit him. That doesn't make him good, but I think that makes him more than a "simpleton sociopath". A simpleton would have simply slaughtered the entire group under the pretense of revenge. Someone smart sees how to exploit the situation for personal gain.

border

Her partner just got his skull smashed to death, she's probably burning in anger and wants to destroy Negan, can't blame her tbh.
You honestly think that people have the ability to make logical decisions when facing hugely intensive emotional situations?

I suppose that's fair enough. You can't expect her to have a clear mind at this moment.

At the same time, there needs to be a scene or episode in the future where Maggie realizes what she's done and deals with the weight of that. It's annoying to see people say "OMG Daryl got Glenn killed!" Maggie was the one who set this whole chain of events in motion. I think she deserves far more blame than Daryl. Her pride and arrogance is pretty much the reason that there's some zombie chowing down on Glenn's brains now.

WaffleTaco

With Glenn and Abe eating up a lot of screen time last season, they can focus on bringing new characters into the front and making side characters be more important (Rosita, Spencer, Aaron, etc.) Now that the Atlanta 5 is the Atlanta 4, it's time to start thinking of the group as Pre-Alexandria or Pre-A for short and Post-A people. Most people would consider Maggie, Michonne, Morgan, and Eugene as staple members of the show with fleshed out personalities. They can go even further with Sasha, Rosita, Tara, & Gabriel. Plus they have Tobin, Spencer, Heath, Olivia, Eric & Aaron for Alexandria. If you include Hilltop, you have Gregory, Jesus, the doctor (?). It's all about character building.

So important characters here: Rick, Carl, Daryl, Carol, Maggie, Michonne, Morgan, Eugene

Side Characters: Sasha, Rosita, Tara, Gabriel, Aaron

Lesser side characters: Heath, Tobin, Spencer

Characters that just exist: Eric, Olivia

Ain't no one gives a shit about Rosita and Sasha. Who's Aaron again? :p

No seriously, they would have to spend a couple years making these potential new characters important to the viewers. So that means the Core 4 need to survive for at least that duration. Eventually though, if you have basically a brand new cast, you lost any chance of an ending with a payoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom