• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

adj_noun

Man. What an episode. Absolutely loving the way he plays Negan.

Just wish he could drop those F bombs. Not quite the same without 'em.

riotous

Banned
I am kinda sorry that Maggie didn't learn her lesson, and didn't feel any regret. She was the one that agreed and even pushed to take on Negan despite knowing nothing about the size or depth of his army. Instead of feeling even a moment of guilt, she immediately comes to the conclusion that they need to start fighting him again.

Huh? Part of her little speech was clearly about her feeling guilty that they all went out there on her account.

At the same time she is also furious at the man actually responsible for the murders; you know, the guy who did them.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I suppose that's fair enough. You can't expect her to have a clear mind at this moment.

At the same time, there needs to be a scene or episode in the future where Maggie realizes what she's done and deals with the weight of that. It's annoying to see people say "OMG Daryl got Glenn killed!" Maggie was the one who set this whole chain of events in motion. I think she deserves far more blame than Daryl. Her pride and arrogance is pretty much the reason that there's some zombie chowing down on Glenn's brains now.

Maggie stood right there and took blame by saying that she was the reason that everyone was out there.

Here's the issue:

*SPOILER WARNING FOR WALKING DEAD FANS*

You have everyone thinking Glenn is dead around the halfway point last season with the biggest bullshit ever in a show. There's a nice convenient dumpster for Glenn to crawl under, and he's conveniently small enough to make his way under it. No way they kill Glenn in the lineup now, right? Even with the knowledge of the comic death. We let the dumpster thing go as loyal fans, and you kill him anyway in the S7 Ep1 premiere. I really didn't want to believe the rumors months ago, but they played out exactly how those rumors did. Negan is an awesome character and JDM is a beast, but this was a slap in the face to your fans IMO

Dalek

As a reader of the books I've been dreading this season. I feel that at this point it just becomes total misery and shock. And this episode practically confirmed it for me.

BizzyBum

God damn, what an episode. I knew it was going to be bad but not like that.

I love how they did Abe in first and made it relatively quick and even comical with his last "suck my nuts" line. At that point it's like okay, it was Abe which kinda sucks and I feel bad for Sasha but he's not a super fan favorite and I can live with it. Then Daryl makes that brain dead move (I hate him now, he better go on quite the rampage this season to make up for this) and Glenn goes down so fast that I'm just in complete shock. Of course they drag out his death and just seeing his face telling Maggie he'll find her was just brutal. His body twitching at the end was just icing on the cake.

At the time I was in too much shock to be emotional. When they showed the dinner dream with Glenn holding his baby and looking at Abe smiling was when it started to hit me and I got a little choked up. :(

border

Maggie stood right there and took blame by saying that she was the reason that everyone was out there.

I presume that was not an admission of guilt for having sided against Negan sight-unseen, but an acknowledgement that they were only there because of her health/miscarriage issues.

border

Huh? Part of her little speech was clearly about her feeling guilty that they all went out there on her account.

She thinks they went out there because she was sick, not because she made the bull-headed decision to take on Negan without understanding his power.

I don't see that as any real admission of guilt. If Maggie had actually realized that she grossly underestimated Negan, she wouldn't have been urging them to immediately commence warfare. Even Rick sees that they are outnumbered and outgunned. Maggie's regret is only that she fell ill, not that she pushed for conflict when she should not have.

Not in a million year could I have predicted that these would be our only survivors from S1 so far (apart from Rick and Carl).
CvgDr8bVYAIf-GK.jpg

Carol is next isn't she T_T

Here's the issue:

*SPOILER WARNING FOR WALKING DEAD FANS*

You have everyone thinking Glenn is dead around the halfway point last season with the biggest bullshit ever in a show. There's a nice convenient dumpster for Glenn to crawl under, and he's conveniently small enough to make his way under it. No way they kill Glenn in the lineup now, right? Even with the knowledge of the comic death. We let the dumpster thing go as loyal fans, and you kill him anyway in the S7 Ep1 premiere. I really didn't want to believe the rumors months ago, but they played out exactly how those rumors did. Negan is an awesome character and JDM is a beast, but this was a slap in the face to your fans IMO
That's why it was so effective

studyguy

Not in a million year could I have predicted that these would be our only survivors so far (apart from Rick and Carl).
CvgDr8bVYAIf-GK.jpg

Carol is next isn't she T_T

Probably.
AMC knows it's breadwinners and won't pull the trigger on someone like Daryl before they're forced to.

border

Yeah, I can almost forgive the Glenn fakeout death because it was now so clearly a rope-a-dope scenario intended to make fans believe that he was invincible, and that the show would not follow the same plotline as the comic books. Well played, Gimple.

janoDX

So it's a two horse race between Re:Zero's episode 15 and TWD S7E1 on the most brutal episode of 2016.

But TWD takes the cake. Holy shit that was intense and it feel sickening but it needed that.

BBboy20

Show has balls again.

I still get the impression Negen believes that the human race needs to care less about each other and mostly focus on survival, hence the lack of retaliation

And who knows what Negen is thinking. Dude likes playing mind games so he might have already made his choice before Deryle retaliated.

And don't expect pregnant women to be submissive.

xaosslug

damn. The level of nuance in the acting on TWD is lightyears beyond FTWD. That show is an embarrassment to the franchise, tbh.

Sigmaah

The way they did glen man... he didn't deserve to go down like that, what was he trying to say to Maggie?

Shit sucks dude, I loved glen, one of my favorites... I need Darryl and Rick to fuck up negan for that shit. Abe really grew on me too. This show got me hype again.

I feel like it's gonna be way to different with glen but we'I'll see.

damn. The level of nuance in the acting on TWD is lightyears beyond FTWD. That show is an embarrassment to the franchise, tbh.

Tbh if you go back and watch seasons 1 and 2 of TWD the acting was pretty mediocre as well lol. Especially Ricks actor he has improved so much with his southern accent.

Kard8p3

Out of all my gripes and dislikes about the show, the one thing that never fails to impress me is Andrew Lincoln. Dude and his acting are always top-fuckin' notch.

This is not a comic spoiler, but based on her current portrayal I fully believe Maggie will be the first person in the group to murder someone in Negan's group. She will kill, lie down to have the baby, get up and then kill some more. Her character is justifiably that mad right now.

IrishNinja

I'm glad they went the same way as the comic.
The brutality was a part of that issue(#100)
It was supposed to make the viewer uncomfortable. It was supposed to make you feel part of what the characters were feeling. I think it succeeded.
I stopped reading the books for awhile after that issue.

exactly my thoughts, well said

Negan was off. I get that the writers do their own thing, but they needed to nail this character from the get go and they failed miserably at that. Reducing him to a simpleton sociopath did this show no favors

nah, fuckouttahere - that's what he was in the book. if anything this take on him is a bit more interesting than "post apocalyptic andrew dice clay"
he doesn't get nearly as interesting until the story gets further along

You know who wasn't shook by Negan?

http://i.imgur.com/ke98tEl.jpg

dammmmn

The way they did glen man... he didn't deserve to go down like that, what was he trying to say to Maggie?

Shit sucks dude, I loved glen, one of my favorites... I need Darryl and Rick to fuck up negan for that shit. Abe really grew on me too. This show got me hype again.

I feel like it's gonna be way to different with glen but we'I'll see.
"I'll find you"

People should know that this is entirely Rick's fault for meddling with business between Hilltop's colony and The Saviors.

Negan and The Saviors didn't have any beef with Rick's crew until Rick started going after them purposely.

Kevin

What a masterful episode. The show may not always deliver but when it does... like holy crap. I've seen a LOT of horror movies and I would still say this episode was brutal and intense. I also found it rather heartbreaking and emotional as someone who has been with the show since the beginning.

I have high hopes for this season and so far the premiere certainly delivered.

IrishNinja

"I'll find you"

(;_;) goddamn, i thought "muh....muh...Maggie!!" in the book was bad enough, fuck

People should know that this is entirely Rick's fault for meddling with business between Hilltop's colony and The Saviors.

true, but following the book, the arc was all about them finding out there's a whole world out there, and you get the impression that negan & his people would've come knocking eventually, even if they stayed within their community (which they clearly wouldn't have)

Zoggy

wtf is up with jeffrey dean morgan? has he lost a lot of weight?

Negan in the comics seemed a burly big dude. JDM was walking around in skinny jeans and a tight ass jacket like an urban outfitters model.

what the fuck.

true, but following the book, the arc was all about them finding out there's a whole world out there, and you get the impression that negan & his people would've come knocking eventually, even if they stayed within their community (which they clearly wouldn't have)
Come knocking eventually? Yes. But not with Negan's full rage mode. Rick and his crew did kill a whole lot of Negan's men just because Rick thought they were bunch of thugs with hot air. Not only that angered Negan but Rick got both Abe's and Glenn's head bashed in.

The whole set up was to break down Rick just to teach him a lesson.

Daryl or Glenn is getting that bat

was 1 for 2

Edit: man this episode was fantastic...milked the deaths for the first like 15 minutes but then shit got REAL!!! they totally fooled us with the throw-away kill with Abraham(lets be honest....no one really was going to miss Abe) and then threw us not a bone but a fucking T-bone steak!!! Glenn.....R.I.P

Negan was absolutely fantastic! the totally nailed his comic persona!!!

Chumley

Banned
wtf is up with jeffrey dean morgan? has he lost a lot of weight?

Negan in the comics seemed a burly big dude. JDM was walking around in skinny jeans and a tight ass jacket like an urban outfitters model.

what the fuck.

Yeah I wish he put on some weight, he's skinny as fuck. Maybe over the course of the season he puts on a few pounds and eventually shaves the beard, that would be rad.

justjim89

That was needlessly cruel. If Rick had actually had to go through with the arm chop, the show would just be a cartoon. They don't get to be a horrific cruel murder fiesta and this serious character study about what it means to survive at the same time. They can't have both, and at this point I don't know if I can be asked to really give a damn about any of the remaining characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom