• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
People of Color. So anyone not White, basically.

Oh I see. Well, who knows

Social media is gonna blow up about Abraham & Glenn especially since it was comic book accurate. In fact, I can definitely see him coming up with his own TV show on Netflix or something - just like Aziz Ansari did and his show came out to critical acclaim.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It wasn't the comic that killed Glenn, it was Darryl. Well it was neegan and the writers but I still blame him and maybe Maggie will call him on it.

I do wonder if they're going to touch on that. I could see Maggie having some animosity towards Darryl for acting out or Rick for not wanting to fight back. Obviously the majority of her animus would be aimed at Negan, but she's gotten feel a little sore about the circumstances being a secondary punishment.

jesu

My mom just called me crying after watching. Glenn was her favorite character. She called it the most disturbing thing she's ever seen but she still loved it. She really liked the psychological horror stuff of Negan breaking Rick. The psychological stuff is what got to me more than the beatings. But they sure did nail the sound of beating somebody over the head with a baseball bat. I won't forget that sound anytime soon.

The sound is all I got from it because I couldn't watch!
Eyes averted (⚆ ͟ʖ⚆)

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
It wasn't the comic that killed Glenn, it was Darryl. Well it was neegan and the writers but I still blame him and maybe Maggie will call him on it.

That's clearly where they're going with it.

Also...couldn't shake this image lol

Total-Recall.jpg

The one thing i hate about the character deaths in this show is that most of them died without putting up a fight. Other than Merle can't remember anyone else who gave the other side hell before dying.

My boys Glen and the viper deaths are 2 of the most indelible scenes I can remember in TV. Damn thing will forever make me go
mjcry1.png

j-wood

It's really just up to the network (AMC) on the word fuck.

It's not a regulation or anything, because FX has had their shows dropping at least 3 fucks per episode, if not more (especially on Atlanta).

AudioEppa

After that mentally fucked up experience last night ..

Today has to be all about good vibes lol

Great episode. Can't wait for this Sunday.

Ray665

I was one that couldn't stand Glenn escaping death all the damn time. Was really turning me off the show.

Glenn's eyeball and that scene was certainly worth the wait.

I haven't been this excited for the show in many seasons. I dont read the comics and try to stay away as much as possible. Im very ready for Neegan, he's awesome so far!!!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
One of the best episodes of TV ever, from any show. Just wow.....

Pics_nao

Was on the train to work and started watching the episode. Already got it spoiled but holy fuck I ended up feeling sick and broke out into a cold sweat. Goddamn that was brutal.

Two things:

1) Just to clarify, Negan doesn't know it was Rick's group who wiped out the men at the satellite building, right? It's a big enough stretch that he'd let them live after the shootout at the railroad tracks and the rpg incident.

2) I appreciate HDM's hamming it up as Negan (mean this honestly, not being snarky, but it's 100% ham), but I'd have liked to see Ray Stevenson play the part. Would seem to fit the image from the comics better (going from google, I stopped reading the comics at the prison).

Tomeru

This thread has comments that seem taken out from the gantz manga (the parts where internet forum posts are shown). Je-sus.

Two things:

1) Just to clarify, Negan doesn't know it was Rick's group who wiped out the men at the satellite building, right? It's a big enough stretch that he'd let them live after the shootout at the railroad tracks and the rpg incident.

2) I appreciate HDM's hamming it up as Negan (mean this honestly, not being snarky, but it's 100% ham), but I'd have liked to see Ray Stevenson play the part. Would seem to fit the image from the comics better (going from google, I stopped reading the comics at the prison).

the only person other than the guy who actually played him that i'd want to play him is Henry Rollins since that's who he's based on in real life

the only person other than the guy who actually played him that i'd want to play him is Henry Rollins since that's who he's based on in real life

I didn't know it was based on Rollins, but the google images definitely agree with you.

Edit: I will admit Rollins was good in a not-dissimilar role in Sons of Anarchy.

strafer

Two things:

I have not read the comics. I dont know what he looks like in the comics and frankly I dont care.

What I do know is that Jeffrey is amazing and hope he sticks around.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So now we get to see Neganfest the entire season without any sort of revenge from Ricks group. If were lucky, the season 7 finale will show them finally do something.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Two things:

I'm pretty sure he knows it was them. Isn't that where they got the weapons? He mentioned that in the season finale.

For Negan, then getting to live is just about making his life easier. If he went around killing everyone, he'd have to work harder to get supplies. So he broke Rick's group so that they work for him. Abraham and Glen meeting Lucille is 1 part training and 2 parts punishment. But if he wanted them dead, he would have just killed them at the roadblocks. They have an infrastructure that he can use.

Nothing will ever top
Oberyn's
death in Game of Thrones. Nothing has come even close, and the one you mentioned is laughable by comparison.

I got to disagree with that. I like GoT a lot more than TWD, and
Oberyn's
death had a bigger impact on me, but last night was more brutal than that. Maybe because one was pretty quick while the other just lingered on the brutality.

TWD has to be the most manipulative show on TV. It is to the point that nothing feels earned. I know this, but I keep watching.

One of the best episodes of TV ever, from any show. Just wow.....

I wish I felt the same. I probably could name 50 better episodes off the top of my head.

Wow! I don't follow the tv series and don't know about it's violence, but didn't think they'll show that famous scene exactly like comic!

I suspected they would. Gimple has been veering the show closer and closer to the source material after he took over. After it was announced that Nicotero was directing I knew it was going to show the full scene. Nicotero episodes always have the goriest set pieces him and Howard Berger can design.

You realize this is your opinion and not fact, right?

While I disagree with him about which was more brutal, I think he does realize that it is all subjective. I will say that one felt earned (which is not last nights) and the other didn't because of bad writing (yes that is subjective).

Really? Wow. What a polarizing episode.

People react to extreme brutality and depression in different ways. Honestly I think it's a genuine accomplishment to make an audience feel that bad. The show broke Rick just as much as it broke us. We had to accept that there is literally no way out of this and everyone from Rick to the rest of the group to everyone watching is completely helpless.

Something like the Red Wedding is massive shock value but it's quick and ultimately only effects certain people. This entire episode was like one big long red wedding. It's so much worse.

I honestly have never felt like that with any medium and I think for that alone it deserves recognition. Is it a 10? No I think faking Glenn's death so many times even going so far as to do it for multiple episodes really lessens the impact. But waking up the next day Glenn dying was the first thing on my mind and really for a creator that's all you can ask for.

nekkid

the thing is no matter where you go whether in real life or (especially on) the internet, people will profess their opinion like it is the right one.

Or maybe some people don't feel it's necessary to iterate that it's their opinion, when that much is patently obvious. It doesn't need pointing out
imo

Elandyll

Banned
I liked the episode overall. JDM and Andrew Lincoln were particular standouts, as well as the sheer amount of gore on screen.

Can't help wonder if they didn't push the limit a bit too far on this and the bleakness tbh (as well as some infuriating editing tricks to milk the reveal for as long as possible), and in that way I can see where the bad reviews are coming from.

Looking forward to this season nonetheless, but I gotta say this perhaps wasn't the best episode for my wife to check what the whole "TWD phenom" is all about...

She was speechless during the whole lucille ordeal, and the only thing she could say afterwards was "...that.. was certainly something."

Sigmaah

Why does glen say he'll find Maggie? Has he said this to her before in a certain situation? (I don't remember much from the beginning since it's been so long)

Beefy

So now we get to see Neganfest the entire season without any sort of revenge from Ricks group. If were lucky, the season 7 finale will show them finally do something.

Don't know if these are spoilers so will mark anyways.
We get to meet few interesting characters and Jesus becomes more of a main character. Negan gets more and more fucked up.

nekkid

I think the only thing that I'm clinging onto now is the man with a tiger. I mean that's got good value written all over it.

I'm pretty sure he knows it was them. Isn't that where they got the weapons? He mentioned that in the season finale.

For Negan, then getting to live is just about making his life easier. If he went around killing everyone, he'd have to work harder to get supplies. So he broke Rick's group so that they work for him. Abraham and Glen meeting Lucille is 1 part training and 2 parts punishment. But if he wanted them dead, he would have just killed them at the roadblocks. They have an infrastructure that he can use.

I get all that. It just seems to me like a group as small as Rick's who could wipe out everyone at the satellite building would be too dangerous to try to leash. But *shrug*.

Korigama

It's really just up to the network (AMC) on the word fuck.

It's not a regulation or anything, because FX has had their shows dropping at least 3 fucks per episode, if not more (especially on Atlanta).
FX allowed it during The People v. O.J. Simpson, too.

Why does glen say he'll find Maggie? Has he said this to her before in a certain situation? (I don't remember much from the beginning since it's been so long)

he's staying positive even though he is about to die. saying that he will be waiting for her on the other side.

Reading critics reviews, some are stating after last seasons Glenn fake out, it lessened the impact of his death. Also undercut Abraham's death (which I don't agree with).
they undercut Abraham's death by not revealing it was him being bludgeoned at the end of season 6, like they should have.

as for Glenn's fakeouts, I'll agree that those were stupid but for me it didn't lessen his death all that much. at least the hints weren't for nothing.
Or maybe some people don't feel it's necessary to iterate that it's their opinion, when that much is patently obvious. It doesn't need pointing out
imo
then at least find nicer ways to say it. the way it was stated was condescending, as if the other guy's opinion was less of one than the other's.

Really? Wow. What a polarizing episode.

I've already stated my opinion but I'll say again that I'm not on the hype train for this one. AMC and the showrunners have just screwed around too much with the audience.

I'm currently 50/50 on whether I want to continue watching it. What would keep me going is the simple fact that I've already invested years of my life into these characters, so in a way it's kind of like being hitched to someone you don't really like because, well... you've gotten this far so might as well stay the course.

Which is not a ringing endorsement by any stretch of the imagination.

Gin-Shiio

Personally, I thought the reveal could have been handled more elegantly by just showing things in the order they occured. Rick's flashbacks just felt too in the face.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I get all that. It just seems to me like a group as small as Rick's who could wipe out everyone at the satellite building would be too dangerous to try to leash. But *shrug*.

This is what I'm thinking too. I mean look how defiant Rick still was after the first beating and even in the camper.

Then Maggie after all that still talking about fighting Negan?

I would play it safe and just wipe them all out and deal with Alexandria folks hoping they could still work for me.

In one way Rick n Co proved they are a very capable group. On the other hand, they are too dangerous to take lightly and treat like normal folks.

Just like Rick underestimated Negan, Negan is doing the exact same thing. Them both having no idea what the other has done to survive....

they undercut Abraham's death by not revealing it was him being bludgeoned at the end of season 6, like they should have.

as for Glenn's fakeouts, I'll agree that those were stupid but for me it didn't lessen his death all that much. at least the hints weren't for nothing.
then at least find nicer ways to say it. the way it was stated was condescending, as if the other guy's opinion was less of one than the other's.

Yup. If they had shown Abe getting killed, ended last season on that, it would have had alot more impact IMO. No main character has ever died to start the new season IIRC. Making it Glen too ...missed opportunity IMO.

Ray665

Just like Rick underestimated Negan, Negan is doing the exact same thing. Them both having no idea what the other has done to survive....

I think thats the beauty of it, in that world you really never know who your messing with. Like Kevin Hart you gonna learn today......or another day in Ricks case.

cr0w

Old Member
Goddamn... I'm even more upset now...

Pls someone tell me if negan gets what's coming to him. I need to see this man suffer.

Sort of.

I mean...honestly, Negan's probably my favorite character out of the comics. His arc is extremely interesting.

RangerX

Banned
he's staying positive even though he is about to die. saying that he will be waiting for her on the other side.

I didn't interpret it like that. I thought his brain was so badly damaged from getting smashed that he didn't realize what was going on or what he was saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom