• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a problem is that the show aims to please both the comic and the new fans. Often when something feels out of place in the show it's because it's been directly lifted from the comics.

They haven't been writing compelling stories in this setting?

Not really IMO. They're always working towards moments and the stuff in between is usually terrible. As I said, you could watch the two premieres and two finales and have a good understanding of what happened the entire season. That's not my definition of writing compelling stories.

You really think Rick and the gang are good people still? Not sure what you're calling me cynical for.

I guess the brutality of this episode bothered me so much because it felt empty. I was thinking about that scene where Daryl's brother Merle went off and tried to kill the Governor, and ended up getting brutally murdered by him. That was horrible to watch, but it was backed by good writing. It felt necessary. Merle had betrayed the Governor, but he did so for his brother and for the group. And then Daryl finds him, but it's too late. It was heartbreaking. All that was wrapped up in the relationship of the brothers, and choosing allegiances, and choosing a right path.

Seeing Glenn get killed like that was terrible because he's been there for seven seasons, and seeing the devastation of Maggie. But the whole thing felt hollow because Rick's group were already cold-blooded murderers. So now we have one group of killers against another group. That's not an interesting story to me, and making it ultra violent doesn't change that.

Yes. They've never gone around and brutalized innocent people. It's always either self defense or justice.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Harrowing stuff. Really probably the most disturbing television in sense of emotional pain and just brutality. I'm shocked they could get away with it tbh. The bit where Glenn is just brain damaged was very disturbing indeed. A bit too real for my liking but it has certainly made people take notice as the show was getting a bit boring in the last season or two.

F0pEQGT.jpg

Lol

Tyaren

So they stayed true to the original scene of the comic...?
Many months ago when Glenn was allegedly eaten by zombies I already looked up the comic and learned about his actual end. I had hardly seen anything this vile and degrading before. I was literally sick to my stomach. Since then I stopped watching the show. I didn't think it would be anywhere as brutal as in the comic but apparently I was wrong. Good I stopped watching. :/

Jokergrin

Many months ago when Glenn was allegedly eaten by zombies I already looked up the comic and learned about his actual end. I had hardly seen anything this vile and undignified before. I was literally sick to my stomach. Since then I stopped watching the show. I didn't think it would be anywhere as brutal as in the comic but apparently I was wrong. Good I stopped watching. :/

It was more brutal than the comic

Many months ago when Glenn was allegedly eaten by zombies I already looked up the comic and learned about his actual end. I had hardly seen anything this vile and degrading before. I was literally sick to my stomach. Since then I stopped watching the show. I didn't think it would be anywhere as brutal as in the comic but apparently I was wrong. Good I stopped watching. :/
The comic seems kind of tame in hindsight. Drawings can't prepare you for it with real actors and effects

orioto

Good Art™
Anyone know what Glen was saying?

The little shit can't even enunciate right when he's saying his last words to his fiance!

Weirdly i felt last time Glenn almost died it was way more moving, i was broken. This was so violent and the cut between seasons made that kinda more easy, like i didn't really care anymore.

Still the show is immensely unhealthy morally. That's not the gore, the gore is just visual, but the show is incredibly tough morally and emotionally. And really sadistic, that's the whole thing that is a little too much. The sadism. Cause yeah of course they can portray an horrible character, but this is the producers being super sadistic and cynical with us to, like the GoT guys can be at time.

The whole "let's wait till the next season to see if your fav has been killed!!" was tasteless. It's kinda like transforming spectators in a gladiator audience, i mean the real ones, who died against lions to entertain cesar or something. having a tough show about an horrible world is something, but turning it into a sadistic game of who gonna die in a horrible way next time hmm, who who .. ?? is tasteless.

They should have split the deaths. As has been said countless times, the cliffhanger was pointless and just horrible. All of the tension and fear they had built up was squandered. Abraham being shown to have died then Glenn surprise this season would have been way better. It was difficult to muster up the same level of caring and attachment I had present after last season.

I think the writers made a good choice on the characters they offed.

I wish there was a bit more going on in the episode, though, like possibly introducing a new story arc. The reveal felt drawn out.

The gore was really well done too.....to the point where I felt a bit sick. I know it's TWD and gore is expected, but throw some more panning shots in there so I don't have to stare down that horrific mess. Glad I skipped on eating BBQ while watching the show.

yea apparently it was too much

as others have said the revolving door death was a lot more gruesome . noah getting literally ripped apart was awful to watch
The big difference is those were just moments in an episode. It displayed for a few seconds and then it's off to some dialogue in the woods or whatever. This one just kept going.

Lothar

Banned
yea apparently it was too much

as others have said the revolving door death was a lot more gruesome . noah getting literally ripped apart was awful to watch

Much like the controversy on GoT a year ago when something bad happened to a character that happened to many other characters, it just boils down "Not that character! I like that one!" rage.

Audioboxer

Much like the controversy on GoT a year ago when something bad happening to a character that happened to many other characters, it just boils down "Not that character, I like them!" rage.

Which is the writers purposefully turning that screw to upset the viewer. Why do you think Glenn got longer in the spotlight to die? Why do you think they wanted you to see him reduced to caved in mush in-front of your eyes? They know fine well they'll get waves of "fuck you I'm never watching again". Then episode 2 reviews will hit and those people will crumble. Most will anyway.

The big difference is those were just moments in an episode. It displayed for a few seconds and then it's off to some dialogue in the woods or whatever. This one just kept going.
That's still a very poor excuse in general not even counting that they literally showed up close and personal shots of Noah literally having his face mangled and ripped apart.

Jacknapes

That was brutal, and very uncomfortable to watch. By that, i mean the tension that the writers set in the episode

Just goes to show how brutal Negan can be. Was talking to a few mates whom said "why would they
kill Glenn after teasing his death in Season 6. Abraham going was hard to watch, but he showed balls right to the end.

People are complaining about the episode, but it's The Walking Dead. It's meant to be gory. What will cause more complaint is
if Negan kills Daryll at the mid-season. I mean, Beth was kidnapped then killed as she was re-united with Ricks lot. What if similar happens with Daryll at the mid-season break.

Still, it's nice to see Walking Dead back on the screen. But ending Season 6 as they did, and going into this episode was hard.

Eeeeeeeeehhhhhhh, I'm probably going to stop watching for a while and then binge watch the seasons I missed in an attempt to "fast forward" passed this Negan stuff.

My main gripe with the show is the direction it's heading.

The way it's shaping up, it feels like more of what we've seen before, where the plot goes like this: "You've got a group of nebulous antagonists headed up by a leader with a single name, and they want Rick's group's stuff.".

We've seen this plot line before with The Governor, and again, if you include Connor from Fear of the Walking Dead. In all three cases, they even took hostages from the protagonists' groups (Andrea, Alicia, and now Daryl). I haven't read the comics, but I'm guessing Rick's group is going to form some sort of alliance with the other groups in Negan's protection racket and there's going to be a huge war, which sounds like a snoozefest to me.

It just seems like they're making this sort of plot too much of the show's focus. It's like how earlier on Naruto had this awesome story and setting with a lot of interesting places it could have gone, but after Sasuke ran away, the ENTIRE series, EVERY FUCKING ARC, found a way to turn into Naruto trying to "save" Sasuke from himself and him back to the village. It ruined the the series for me (Thank god for One Piece).

Audioboxer

People are complaining about the episode, but it's The Walking Dead. It's meant to be gory. What will cause more complaint is
if Negan kills Daryll at the mid-season. I mean, Beth was kidnapped then killed as she was re-united with Ricks lot. What if similar happens with Daryll at the mid-season break.

That will probably happen sometime soon-ish. I can't wait. People will go fucking CRAZY.

As much as I love this show, it's a show about death. Do not get overly attached to anyone lol. Some people are pretty invincible for obvious reasons, but times will come!

hampig

Really great episode. It established Negan's character well and put him on a different level from really any other character in the show. He actually feels like a real threat, not just a cartoon villain that will threaten and threaten and not do all that much.

Personally, I felt the gruesome nature of it helped it hit home. Not only are things falling apart for the group, they have to just sit helplessly and suffer through it quietly. It showed a shift in power for sure.

As for the 6 cliffhanger, I really hated it. I think that the first bit of the 7:1 premier was not so great as well, but overall I was satisfied. The Abraham death put me off my guard and got my attention a bit more, and the Glenn death really hit me. I was so relieved to see Abraham was the one and was already wondering how they'd deal with having Glenn alive with him being dead in the comic. I liked the impact of having them back to back.

jm89

I hope this entire season isn't just negan bullying/torturing rick & co, i want to see some payback before the season ends.

I don't think killing both abe and glenn was a good idea there aren't many popular characters left, and daryl will probably be out of action for a while which makes it even worse.

Daffy Duck

That was perfect for me, this isn't some white picket fence fantasy land they live in, it's a bloody zombie apocalypse, that was probably the most realistic depiction of said scenario I have seen, like exactly like you imagine some people to be,and by fuck you would not want to run into them in that world at all.

Ricks group have led a relatively charmed life until now, it was the wake and smell the coffee moment of the real world they live in and the true terrors out there are the leaders of these large of groups of people.

People seem to want story and this set things up perfectly IMHO.

Is every episode of this series going to generate endless pages over and over about its gore, brutality and downright dark tones?

I thought people might have got used to it after the first few series....

It's like, have we all been watching a different show the last few years?

Audioboxer

I hope this entire season isn't just negan bullying/torturing rick & co, i want to see some payback before the season ends.

I don't think killing both abe and glenn was a good idea there aren't many popular characters left, and daryl will probably be out of action for a while which makes it even worse.

While Maggie needs some time and to grieve I'm hoping season 7 turns into the ladies going Rick levels of fucking crazy. Ricks probably going to continue to be a mess. Carols tried to go back to being normal. Time for her to carry on being the "killer mum" again.

Girl-fucking-power. Or should I say Girl-slaying.

Nodnol

Woah. I knew what was coming but that was brutal.

That topped Oberyn Vs The Mountain. Oberyn was quick...ish. That was fucked up, with the half caved-in skull, the stuttering, the final words...

And despite all that, I loved Negan. That grin. Those eyes. He's so calm, so "just another day". He's like a fucking drill sergeant.

Full credit to the acting staff too. Very well played out. I loved Rick's internal struggle and how they portrayed that.

However...the S6 finale was still short changing the viewers for the sake of it...and I worry about the pacing. In recent years, that's been the issue. A couple of great episode with slow filler in between. They need to construct this season efficiently.

Really looking forward to Negan going forward. I don't want a good Vs evil fight, I don't him dead; I want to go deeper, to learn and to see who he is. When the time comes, I don't want another shoot-out; someone like that needs deconstructing. The Saviours need to be taken down a notch first.

Morgan of course, now that he's willing to kill
Comic spoils ahead

Pretty sure Morgan is next to go
He is already dead by this point in the comics and Negan lives after the war deciding to imprisson him instead to show they have some humanity still left. Literally nothing is going to stop Rick from killing Negan unless Morgan's words ring through "All life is precious" after he is dead they will likely keep Negan alive due to this one and only reason and imprison him in the cell Morgan made in Season 6

Audioboxer

Comic spoils ahead

Pretty sure
Morgan is next to go
He is already dead by this point in the comics and Negan lives after the war deciding to imprisson him instead to show they have some humanity still left. Literally nothing is going to stop Rick from killing Negan unless Morgan's words ring through "All life is precious" after he is dead they will likely keep Negan alive due to this one and only reason and imprison him in the cell Morgan made in Season 6

Dude cmon, you didn't spoiler the first part? Also

Graphic Novel: All comic-related discussion must be enclosed in spoiler tags. NO EXCEPTIONS! Please tag and label your posts, e.g. [Graphic Novel/Comic Spoilers] [Insert graphic novel spoilers here]. All discussion pertaining exclusively to the graphic novel belongs in The Walking Dead Comics Thread.

pitchfork

A Negan masterclass in submission and humiliation!

Brutal and brilliant!

Stayed up until the early hours (UK) for the simulcast this morning and just watched again in the 9pm slot on Fox UK

One of my favourite single episodes of tv ever - loved it!

Bigfoot

Much like the controversy on GoT a year ago when something bad happened to a character that happened to many other characters, it just boils down "Not that character! I like that one!" rage.

Great point. It was a dumb complaint when it happened to
Sansa
and it is a dumb complaint now. You figure by a few seasons in to a show, people would realize what they are getting in to.

Zoe

With all the shitty things they're having Darryl do, it's as if they're grooming us to accept his eventual death.

Except it isn't fucking working! His fangirls are still insane! I don't think there's anything they could have him do to turn the fans against him.

studyguy

Lets be real, when Daryl inevitably dies, then that means the show is probably working towards a conclusion because no way is AMC gonna throw its moneymaker to the fire without cause to. That's mainly why I can't be afraid of any antagonist. None of the stars are going to die without it being projected a mile off.

Surfinn

Yes that is for sure the purpose of the episode, but that's just because that is what they (the creators) wanted it to be. That's different from saying there is a believable (within the shows context) different outcome that could have happened (even if extremely unlikely) if Rick killed Negan in the RV when they were alone. And that its possible in this alternate storyline that numerous of them could still have made it out alive. I agree that it would have kept the show pigeonholed into the same story loop, and forced them to end their cash cow show earlier than they would need to with this new storyline though.

Well.. they wanted it to be this way because it's one of the most pivotal and best moments in the entire comic book, if not the most. Why would they do it much differently? That would be like not having the prison invaded. Or not having a showdown between Michonne and the Governor.

If they wanted to do it differently they should have done it WAY differently and not set the group up to be captured and hopeless, mirroring the comic so closely. But they made the right decision and did what made the comic so powerful and emotionally wrecking.

Honestly I'm shocked to see so many people who wanted the group to have squirmed out of this. You're missing the point.

Dude cmon, you didn't spoiler the first part? Also

Was just giving speculation of who I think logically in the main cast who would die which I quoted someone thinking the same not a comic spoiler
Morgan dies before Negan even shows up in the comics. IT just feels this is the only logical answer since he is still alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom