• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amikami

Banned
Rick going from We Rule to We Drool and just being a complete sellout pussy is just terrible. Where's the character in that? He's just doing things now to fit into the story. It's like Glenn's magical ability to not die (welp, until he did anyway).

Eh. For now, he's at a loss and he's doing the only thing he can think of right now. He's not going to come up with a plan in just a few nights and he's in bottom of the bucket right now, mostly because it's the fear of losing people do to incompetence.

After he swims around the bottom of the bucket for awhile, he'll resort to psycho mode. Don't know what you want him to do when Negan has an effective army compared to ricks 20+ people. He watched two of his own get the most horrifying death imaginable. His kids are on the line. He had a couple opportunities to swing the bat and knock Negan's head right off the stem. He wanted to so bad, but what would that have done. Alexandria would have been done for. Rick's doing what he has to for now.

Goodness, let the rebellion creep in him a bit first. There's plenty of character in Rick's restraint. Up until now, he was the strongest there was or so he believed. Now he is clearly outnumbered and out powered.

jond76

Banned
Meh. The long list of people who have died on this show goes way back. He never pussied out to the Governor. Negan is a "comic book villain" with great one liners and a barbed wire bat but I've seen nothing from him that wouldn't have gotten him killed by someone already (other than the comics needing to prop someone up as a villain and showcase how evil he is). But it feels contrived to me, and Rick's reaction feels contrived, just to fit a narrative.

Rick underestimated the size of Negan's group. They already tried taking them out, but it turned they were severely outnumbered, and it caught up to them.

Eh. For now, he's at a loss and he's doing the only thing he can think of right now. He's not going to come up with a plan in just a few nights and he's in bottom of the bucket right now, mostly because it's the fear of losing people do to incompetence.

After he swims around the bottom of the bucket for awhile, he'll resort to psycho mode. Don't know what you want him to do when Negan has an effective army compared to ricks 20+ people. He watched two of his own get the most horrifying death imaginable. His kids are on the line. He had a couple opportunities to swing the bat and knock Negan's head right off the stem. He wanted to so bad, but what would that have done. Alexandria would have been done for. Rick's doing what he has to for now.

Goodness, let the rebellion creep in him a bit first. There's plenty of character in Rick's restraint. Up until now, he was the strongest there was or so he believed. Now he is clearly outnumbered and out powered.

Okay, then the convo with Michonne at the end he has to say "We have to live like this, but we have to bide our time." Not the complete roll over he did. Again, where's the character profile on him? Because the absolute limp dick routine is out of character.

BFIB

Didn't Rick move really quick to attack the Saviors after agreeing to help Hilltop? That's a total Shane plan.
Basically. Rick had no idea how large Negan's group was. The one guy said he was Negan too so Rick thought they had dealt with him.

Didn't Rick move really quick to attack the Saviors after agreeing to help Hilltop? That's a total Shane plan.

And it got them where they are now lol.

Okay, then the convo with Michonne at the end he has to say "We have to live like this, but we have to bide our time." Not the complete roll over he did. Again, where's the character profile on him? Because the absolute limp dick routine is out of character.

He doesn't think that that is possible atm obviously and he's not trying to get anyone killed

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Escape Goat said:

Rick figured they were a small group like the others he's ran across in the past. So when the straggler said "I'm Negan." He figured it was over.

But oh so wrong he was.

Amikami

Banned

You see you think like Negan with this hyper masc "make you my bitch" play. This isn't a dick measuring contest dude. This isn't about how far Negan's hypothetical dick goes down Rick's bitch throat. lol. Right now, Lucy is hovering over every man, woman and child's head. Rick made it very clear that it's the others he's concerned about. Not himself.

Of course, at some point, Rick will get the will to fight again, and characters like Mich, Gabe, and Rosita will help him get there. But as the leader of a group who just underestimated their enemies and arguably got two of his own killed, yeah, he's a little hesitant and he should be.

It's not out of character. Even with the Gov, Rick had moments of toning it down. He wanted to leave the prison but with a newborn, he found another strategy which was arguably far more feasible due to the Gov's size of his rather untrained army. Then he went on to try and convince the Gov they didn't have to resort to violence cuz he saw people on both sides dying.

Rick got too confident. He knows this. This isn't out of character at all. And furthermore, if it was ooc in the least bit, it's ok for characters to change. They don't have to be static. They shouldn't. Any change of character would be expected seeing what he witnessed less than a week ago and if he did change at all, it wasn't far from his base characterization.

But IDK man, what would you have done less than a week after watching your good friends death and then having the murderer come to your doorstep with an armed army, knowing that there are tons more back at the Sanctuary. You tell me. I think Rick's behavior is fine. He gets to be scared. These people are supposed to be human. In time, I think we'll see the return of his crazy.

It's been great to see Rick in a desperate and subdued position since the finale last season. It's brought a whole new level of depth to the character. And Andrew Lincoln has done a spectacular job performing it.

With that said, I'm looking forward to when he's finally had enough of Negan and fights back. The cracks are staring to show. He can't take this much longer.

I can't wait until somebody knocks Negan down a peg, whether that's at the end of this season, or at the end of next. My patience for his character is wearing really thin. It's just antagonistic for the sake of being antagonistic

OrionX

I can't wait until somebody knocks Negan down a peg, whether that's at the end of this season, or at the end of next. My patience for his character is wearing really thin. It's just antagonistic for the sake of being antagonistic

Exactly. Like, I get that Negan's whole thing is dominating everyone around him and beating them into submission so that they'll fear him and fall in line. But when you go around intentionally pissing people off as much as possible while taunting them at the same time, those people are going to remember, and it's going to come back around one way or another eventually. It just doesn't seem like the best strategy, though I guess it's worked pretty well for him so far. lol

Watching every scene with Neegan is so uncomfortable. I've never seen a character who makes me feel like anything can happen whenever he's around. It's kind of draining. It's like watching a season finale where somebody is probably going to but every episode.

Exactly. Like, I get that Negan's whole thing is dominating everyone around him and beating them into submission so that they'll fear him and fall in line. But when you go around intentionally pissing people off as much as possible while taunting them at the same time, those people are going to remember, and it's going to come back around one way or another eventually. It just doesn't seem like the best strategy, though I guess it's worked pretty well for him so far. lol

So I assume people don't know where this is going right?

And that exactly is my whole problem. I completely get the Dominating Dictator persona. It's just so completely played out and lacks any sort of semblance of a long term plan that it's comical. It doesn't take a fucking genius to realize that pissing off your peasants is how every single empire and dictatorship throughout history has fallen. By antagonizing and taunting at every opportunity, eventually something will break and the entire thing will go crashing down.

Hell, just as an example. Was it really necessary to take the damn beds? I'm willing to bet 100% each and every one of Negans soldiers already has one, Negan likely having a pretty comfortable set himself. So why take them? All it does is breed even more ill will for no point. Any dictator should know that if you are going to do something unpopular, you do the bare minimum to keep the peasantry from uprising

Amikami

Banned

It's worked but it won't keep working. Negan doesn't realize he's laying the foundation for his own downfall. Too many communities will become the collective group that will eventually out number and overthrow him. Not only that, but he's got people on the inside who hate him, because certainly Dwight and Sherry aren't the only ones. If he was smart, he'd make the communities outpost at least so that he has stationed soldiers and commanders keeping things settled. Negan is charismatic as shit, but not all that smart. He doesn't see the flaw because he's not thinking long term what happens to people's psyche, especially when they start realizing they have the numbers and nothing to lose.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This has probably been asked a buttload of times, but what was that Michonne was looking at and crying over?

I didn't see her crying. But she was mournful that she accidentally hit the deer with her sniper practice, but took it as a "sign of good fortune" and took it home.

She was angry/frustrated that Rick didn't want to fight Rick when they were talking privately about Negan's ownerships.

Natiko

Banned
Give the show some time. It'll justify his actions so far if it even remotely follows the comics.

Rick should have broken Spencer's jaw for having the audacity to ask such a dumbass question as "You were in my home?" As if the world hadn't already ended. Great season so far though, seriously. I expected there to be more bouncing back-and-forth between Negan and Ezekial, but I'm kind of glad that isn't the case. I like both characters, but Negan raises the stakes for the show like nothing else. Jeffrey Dean Morgan has been flawless.

SamuraiX-

Content Roundup – Episode 704: “Service”

NG6dXLW.jpg

AMC Inside The Walking Dead:
  • The Making of Episode 704, “Service” - AMC
  • Inside Episode 704: “Service” - AMC
  • Preview of Episode 705, “Go Getters” - AMC | International
  • Sneak Peek of Episode 705, “Go Getters” - AMC | International
Producer & Cast Interviews:
Critic Reviews:
Talking Dead's Inside The Dead
  • Negan sings the beginning of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony before entering Alexandria. That four-note motif is widely considered to represent "fate knocking at the door."
  • Co-EP Denise Huth says that it's no accident Negan is drinking an orange soda during a scene in this episode. It's a direct reference to Dr. Denise, who wanted the soda for Tara.
  • Despite Negan being awful to Olivia, Jeffrey Dean Morgan said Ann Mahoney had a great sense of humor throughout filming. Their scenes together were only difficult because they would giggle each time the other spoke.
PLEASE SPOILER TAG ALL PREVIEW/PROMO AND GRAPHIC NOVEL DISCUSSION. REVIEW THE OP FOR COMPLETE THREAD RULES ON SPOILERS.

Stncold

Neo Member

Comic Negan is a great character.

TV Negan is largely being carried by JDM. His writing is meh. The mattress burning proves that more than anything. I struggle to ever see comic Negan doing something like that. It's too petty for him.

xaosslug

It wasn't until this scene that I noticed JDM has no ass. Like it's been removed somehow.

lmao, I immediately noticed this while he was terrorizing the group in the premiere. Surfbort.

It's been great to see Rick in a desperate and subdued position since the finale last season. It's brought a whole new level of depth to the character. And Andrew Lincoln has done a spectacular job performing it.

With that said, I'm looking forward to when he's finally had enough of Negan and fights back. The cracks are staring to show. He can't take this much longer.

i'm assuming it will have something to do w/ Enid... that scene where some of the Savior guys were messing with her while Rick and crew looked on, unable to do anything was telling and super-uncomfortable...

i'm assuming it will have something to do w/ Enid... that scene where some of the Savior guys were messing with her while Rick and crew looked on, unable to do anything was telling and super-uncomfortable...

That entire scene was super uncomfortable. That dude was putting off some serious pedo vibes there. I feel like I was wincing the entire time

Pleasant surprise of the week: Eric exists, and has actual dialogue! It's been 84 years, etc...

I'm still genuinely surprised how disappointed I am with Negan in the show. It's not JDM's fault as such, more the writing for him. Negan in the show feels like a cult leader (plus the whole 'we are all Negan' bullshit). His treatment of Rosita and Maggie would be something he'd be punishing in the comics, not enacting himself. Let alone how Enid was treated. Negan's amicable nature feels considerably more fake in the TV show, whereas Comic!Negan feels a lot more sincere and genuine. The prolonged monologues that the writers have given Negan are frustrating, too, as they don't really have a lot of point to them, and they drag down the already glacial pace the show has. Negan in the comics has always been a complete motormouth, but he's a no bullshit kinda guy, and fairly straight to the point. Negan's not one of my favorite characters from the comics, but I honestly thought they were going to nail the character when adapting him to TV, especially with casting JDM. Instead, I'm finding myself fast-forwarding and doing the ol' Python-esque get on with it! every time he's on screen. I really hope Telltale does something with Negan (like Michonne's fantastic mini-series), as I feel like the adaption has missed a lot of what makes the character work.

...I'm so thoroughly annoyed I'm complimenting Comic!Negan, who is absolutely a piece of shit. He's an entertaining piece of shit, at least.

Father Gabriel was the MVP of the episode. Seth Gilliam has great comedic timing, too. Props to Andrew Lincoln once again, who continues to do heartwrenching work. Even though I'm aleady bored with TV!Negan's rambling, JDM's ability to turn on a dime from fake cheer to fire and brimstone is chilling.

Yay, Hilltop next week. Jesus, Maggie, and Sasha, oh-my!

idwl

I can't believe how much of a pussy Rick has turned into. I really don't like his character anymore, wouldn't mind if they killed him( I know it wouldn't happen), Carl or that priest guy.

My episode seemed to have cut short I think???

Rick and Michonne are making their bed, then it cuts to Michonne going back to that hunting area, she climbs the car and then it stops.

How much have I missed?

big_z

Damn Negan looks scrawny as hell, can't believe it but Dave Chapelle looked better in the leather jacket.

yea hes not a big dude but you can sure hear him move around in his leather outfit.

My episode seemed to have cut short I think???

Rick and Michonne are making their bed, then it cuts to Michonne going back to that hunting area, she climbs the car and then it stops.

How much have I missed?

she sees smoke, finds the mattresses burnt on the side of the road and has a cry because floor sex isn't as fun.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's nice seeing Rick broken. I wish we'd see everyone a bit more "broken". Every time something stupid like Carl's gunshot defiance happens, it's not "cool", it's stupid because, in the current environment, it's just a way for an emotional person to get loads of other, more innocent people killed.

Negan's group would be a bit more interesting if they weren't so obviously stupid evil. Negan keeps talking about how he isn't such a bad guy, blah blah, but he doesn't do anything to make the group question this. If he did something kinda heroic, while simultaneously vicious (like violently clearing out a bulding, and then having the Rick group gather supplies from it), there'd be much more to play around with here.

Right now, he just keeps poking a hornets next, constantly taunting, constantly do that silly "Oh... wait... I'm sorry!" false concern shtick, and basically acting like a bad guy with no depth past what we learned in Ep. 1 of this season.

Taking ALL the guns from accomplished people who also use such tools to hun and gather resources, also seems stupid. Leaving them with a ration of firearms and ammo, and forcing them to inventory them, and report use and such back to him, would have made more sense. "Have something cool for me when I get back! But let me take all the things that enable you to gather resources!"

At least he left Michonne's sword (I figure;d he take that, and make it Lucile's sister in crime...)

It all helps Morgan look more right really. Imperfect, but on a better path than the others. Rick's group spent all of last season playing rule-of-the-strongest with the Saviors, until they found out Neggy's group plays it better than them.

I'd like to think the imperfection we see in Negan's methods isn't just to make him look beatable, but also to make his way of ruling (similar to Rictatorship) look stupid and short-term. You need more than guns, fear, and shows of power to make a long-term run in any world, even after society ends.

Zeke, Hilltop, Rick, and Negan's groups all have moments of merit. Save for the fact we're known them longer, what makes Rick's group more worth rooting for than any other? This is actually a nice time to raise new stars and stand-outs, from within any faction.

Negan: I want you all to work for me, I can be reasonable. I want half your shit.

Negan: LOL, I said half? Well, half is what I say it is. And right now, half equals all your medicine.

I don't really get it, I thought keeping Daryl prisoner was Negans insurance to keep them from retaliating and then they brought him along with them. If they'd been prepared I believe they could have taken out Negan and his men and used the walls to keep out any of the saviors that came looking for him. I also thought they were trying to make Dwight seem a little sympathetic last episode but then he was back to being an asshole for no reason again in this episode. Also Father Gabriel's ruse to make Negan believe Maggie is dead is going to fall apart next week when the saviors all pour into Hilltop.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I also thought they were trying to make Dwight seem a little sympathetic last episode but then he was back to being an asshole for no reason again in this episode.

No reason? He was clearly putting on an intimidating show for everyone. Or did you expect him to expose his softer side to Negan, the rest of the Saviors, and Alexandria?

Mediking

Spencer is a terrible actor. Old Rick is still there. He's just waiting to strike. Negan's act is good but its akso gonna get old if he keeps doing this over and over.

It won't be a simple process to overcome Negan. For them to even have a remote chance of defeating the Saviors, they have to join forces with Hilltop, The Kingdom and then some. Then you've gotta get them to fight for your cause, not all will see things the same way, some won't want to fight.

Above all else though, its absolutely not as simple as "Kill Negan when you have the chance and they'll take back the edge" - even if that were to happen, Simon would just take over, come with the entire fucking army and drop hell over ASZ.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I don't really get it, I thought keeping Daryl prisoner was Negans insurance to keep them from retaliating and then they brought him along with them. If they'd been prepared I believe they could have taken out Negan and his men and used the walls to keep out any of the saviors that came looking for him. I also thought they were trying to make Dwight seem a little sympathetic last episode but then he was back to being an asshole for no reason again in this episode. Also Father Gabriel's ruse to make Negan believe Maggie is dead is going to fall apart next week when the saviors all pour into Hilltop.

Who says this is the saviors usual MO though? The hilltop isn't a new group being broken in.

Who says this is the saviors usual MO though? The hilltop isn't a new group being broken in.
exactly. Hilltop and Kingdom have presumably been working with Negan for quite a while. The ASZ is new and not only that, they clearly are a threatening bunch because every step of the way they've showed acts of defiance whether it's daryl punching negan, rick saying he will kill him, carl pushing back, etc...

Seems he's pushing hard on the domination/psychological stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom