• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the chances of Carol being again the one who saves the group like she did in the Terminus arc?

Carol is going to show up like Willie in Treehouse of Horror.

Carol: Rick! I can get you back to your own home! But only if you do exactly as I--

*gets skull bashed in*

Carol: Oh, God. I'm bad at this...

*Carol dies*

strafer

You know, a part of me wants to wait for the bluray version so I can watch this season as it was intended with full version negan and the fucks.

jwk94

I'm worried about Negan long term. I like his shtick right now, but I feel like he's too one dimensional for it to be entertaining for multiple seasons or years. If he gets knocked down a peg and retreats line the Governor then we just have a mad Negan and that's kinda boring too.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I kept thinking why they didnt just throw some grenades over the gate when they arrived. But then the season would be over.

What does that accomplish? It isn't like 100% of The Saviors came to the gate. Rick knows that The Saviors have them beat on numbers and fight ready people. Lets say that idea even works, killing everyone there including Negan. What next? You think The Saviors that remain will just let that stand? They'd wipe Rick's group off the face of the earth, no question. They wouldn't take a chance on having the group work it off. They'd just kill them, and sadistically. Without knowing anything about their group, numbers, and command structure, randomly lashing out is how you get more folks killed. And it wouldn't just be 2 bashed skulls, it's everybody.

SDCowboy

I kept thinking why they didnt just throw some grenades over the gate when they arrived. But then the season would be over.

Yep, first thing I thought was, why didn't they just kill them at the gate? The leader and their highest ranked guys would all be dead.

Seriously, they had that RPG. Just because Negan knocked didn't mean he was gonna get in if they refused to open it right away. They could've just been like "yo just a minute" and grabbed the RPG and some guns, and blew them all away.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't really get it, I thought keeping Daryl prisoner was Negans insurance to keep them from retaliating and then they brought him along with them. If they'd been prepared I believe they could have taken out Negan and his men and used the walls to keep out any of the saviors that came looking for him. I also thought they were trying to make Dwight seem a little sympathetic last episode but then he was back to being an asshole for no reason again in this episode. Also Father Gabriel's ruse to make Negan believe Maggie is dead is going to fall apart next week when the saviors all pour into Hilltop.
Yeah, we have to give up all the guns, even ones they don't know abou just in case they find them, but we will lie about Maggie even though she is much more likely to be found.

SDCowboy

I still can't believe Rick's group didn't just kill Negan and his group right there at the entryway. I mean, I get they need a story line for the season, but come on. The whole situation makes zero sense.

Yeah lying about Maggie was a weird thing. Once they go to the Hilltop, they are bound to see her... maybe not Negan personally, but his aids will and probably will tell him.

Hmmm....

Did some people not watch the first episode of this season? You kill them at the gate, good job. You solved the problem momentarily. Soon the rest of his army gets word of what happened and then Trevor from GTAV comes with everyone and makes Rick wish he got killed by Lucille since they'll tear all his loved ones peace by peace. Rick is actually thinking rationally for once and dropped the tough guy thing for the sake of keeping his people alive. He will get his revenge in time but not today.

Edit: plus if he did something stupid like lob grenades over the fence he would've killed Daryl.

You see you think like Negan with this hyper masc "make you my bitch" play. This isn't a dick measuring contest dude. This isn't about how far Negan's hypothetical dick goes down Rick's bitch throat. lol. Right now, Lucy is hovering over every man, woman and child's head. Rick made it very clear that it's the others he's concerned about. Not himself.

Of course, at some point, Rick will get the will to fight again, and characters like Mich, Gabe, and Rosita will help him get there. But as the leader of a group who just underestimated their enemies and arguably got two of his own killed, yeah, he's a little hesitant and he should be.

It's not out of character. Even with the Gov, Rick had moments of toning it down. He wanted to leave the prison but with a newborn, he found another strategy which was arguably far more feasible due to the Gov's size of his rather untrained army. Then he went on to try and convince the Gov they didn't have to resort to violence cuz he saw people on both sides dying.

Rick got too confident. He knows this. This isn't out of character at all. And furthermore, if it was ooc in the least bit, it's ok for characters to change. They don't have to be static. They shouldn't. Any change of character would be expected seeing what he witnessed less than a week ago and if he did change at all, it wasn't far from his base characterization.

But IDK man, what would you have done less than a week after watching your good friends death and then having the murderer come to your doorstep with an armed army, knowing that there are tons more back at the Sanctuary. You tell me. I think Rick's behavior is fine. He gets to be scared. These people are supposed to be human. In time, I think we'll see the return of his crazy.

Give the show some time. It'll justify his actions so far if it even remotely follows the comics.

So Negan is the new mafia. I get that. There's reason to be scared. I get that.

But the Godfather doesn't stand at the front door and knock. His lieutenants do that. The riskiest part of these types of things is the interaction between oppressor and oppressed. And for Negan to stand at the gate on the assumption that Rick had been cowed is ... well, it's silly and needlessly reckless.

Or maybe he has to do it to prove to his followers that he is in command.

I get that Rick is taking the L on this one, and I see him choking back the desire to lash out. I see him trying to lead by keeping everyone in line. But he has his own lieutenants, like Michonne, and for him to basically say "we are going to roll over and take it up the ying yang and this is our life now" just screams cowardice to me. Rick has never been a coward.

As for whether this was out of character... in Terminus he was bound and gagged and leaning over a trough running with blood, about to have his friends's heads bashed in, and even in that moment he told the dude he was going to use his red-handled machete to kill him. They were outnumbered there too.

That's why they showed up early and in force, with Daryl. Had they stuck with the plan it gives Rick's group time to hide the important stuff and possibly prepare to fight.

j-wood

My whole problem now is that it would be so easy to end this. Just...shoot negan. Snipe. Even if it turns out to be a sacrifice.

Hell, use the RPG you have when they are standing at the gate. Game over.

Negan has given Rick chances to kill him, both in the TV show and in the comics. But he always makes it clear that they'd all die once his body hits the floor. "Oh, but they'd scatter because they hate him". Do you know that for sure? I bet Rick doesn't. Given the conditioning he puts them all through I'd wager they wouldn't react too kindly to Rick killing him, at least in the immediate short-term anyway.

I get that Rick is taking the L on this one, and I see him choking back the desire to lash out. I see him trying to lead by keeping everyone in line. But he has his own lieutenants, like Michonne, and for him to basically say "we are going to roll over and take it up the ying yang and this is our life now" just screams cowardice to me. Rick has never been a coward.

As for whether this was out of character... in Terminus he was bound and gagged and leaning over a trough running with blood, about to have his friends's heads bashed in, and even in that moment he told the dude he was going to use his red-handled machete to kill him. They were outnumbered there too.

I'm sorry... did you miss the premiere?

Where did they hide Maggie?

I'm assuming every room in every building was thoroughly searched?

She's at the hilltop.

Amikami

Banned
So Negan is the new mafia. I get that. There's reason to be scared. I get that.

But the Godfather doesn't stand at the front door and knock. His lieutenants do that. The riskiest part of these types of things is the interaction between oppressor and oppressed. And for Negan to stand at the gate on the assumption that Rick had been cowed is ... well, it's silly and needlessly reckless.

Or maybe he has to do it to prove to his followers that he is in command.

Yeah, I'm just gunna reference you back to episode 1 of this season. His feeling are understandable.

And there's more than one way to be a hero and to be brave. This episode did a good job of reminding us what Rick is about. It's always been about the family, particularly his kids.

His confession to Michonne about Judith is what brings it together for me. He could have easily snapped and did something. Negan's torment is certainly more than enough not to care about dying. He wanted to bash Negan's head in. But for the first time in a long time, he had to suck it up, set his ego aside, be tormented by Negan in front of the people who looks to him for answers, in front of his lover and in front of his son.

It killed him to be so submissive, but he does what he has to. The story of Shane and Lori, and Judith not being his biological child was a very personal one and the first time that he's probably told anyone about this. But tells the audience that it's always been about keeping Judith and Carl alive. It was brave in an unconventional way.

bidguy

Banned
i dont know if rick is just playing an act or if hes actually broken ... i mean that last scene shows theres still some of him left.

daryl on the other hand is definitely playing the long game

Amikami

Banned
i dont know if rick is just playing an act or if hes actually broken ... i mean that last scene shows theres still some of him left.

daryl on the other hand is definitely playing the long game

The submissiveness is somewhat of an act that he can barely keep up, but at this time, I don't think he's trying to kill Negan. He's playing along as to not get anyone killed. So maybe that's broken but he's definitely scared. If he had any plans, he would have told Michonne though. We definitely saw a hint of himself when dealing with Spencer. The frustration is going to boil over soon.

I don't think Daryl is acting either, or else who would have called himself Negan. I think Negan simply told him not to look at anyone or say anything or else.

I think rick didn't prepare for an ambush is because he under estimated this force, even when they were trying to drive to hilltop. he kept thinking there was another way around them to get what they want. he found out that they were outclassed, out numbered, out gunned, out communicated too. they were treated like a cattle of herd to an exact spot and surrounded.

Now that it is all a reality to Rick. That a group of people can wipe them out with ease, and do it with a plan. It has him broken. He can't mentally plan a way to out maneuver them. He is still struggling with the new reality he has. He speaks about it this very episode.

But I'm sure just lobbing grenades over a fence would have killed them all. I'm sure that works with every war ever, right? :p

The saviors seem to be tactical in every move they make, mostly. I'm excited to see what happens next!!

Realeza

Banned
"I just shoved my dick down your throat and you thanked me for it". Holy shit at that line. That's worse than all the f-bombs anyone can drop.

neoism

I can't believe how much of a pussy Rick has turned into. I really don't like his character anymore, wouldn't mind if they killed him( I know it wouldn't happen), Carl or that priest guy.

shhhhhhhheeeeit the rickanator will return!

Lorcain

That was a mattes? It looked odd and with the music/sound playing, it seemed like a UFO crash or something. lol
They shot/framed that poorly. I had no idea what it was. A marshmallow roast gone terribly wrong?

I would never have known that was supposed to be their burning mattresses if I hadn't read it here.

Enco

I can't believe how much of a pussy Rick has turned into. I really don't like his character anymore, wouldn't mind if they killed him( I know it wouldn't happen), Carl or that priest guy.
lol what should he do?

Go on a 10 v 300 match?

Be real bro. If anything, he should be even more accepting.

Realeza

Banned
Can it be more obvious that, when his time comes, Negan will die smashed to bits by Lucille, or can someone envision a more satisfying outcome?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom