• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm89

I think killing negan would end the saviors. There are others who would try and take over but i just don't see anyone else taking control like negan they would fall apart. Dwight would probably be one the first of negans top guys to say fuck it and leave.

It's hard to watch the constant bullying by negan, but it will be all the more sweet when the saviors eventually get their shit kicked in.

SteveWD40

It's hard to watch the constant bullying by negan, but it will be all the more sweet when the saviors eventually get their shit kicked in.

It's starting to remind me of Ramsay from GOT, constant winning with a shit eating grin and former badass characters reduced to background noise.

They have to build their villains up to make the fall more satisfying, I get that, but this is dragging on a little. I mean, Rick and co took out about 50? of his guys, using some brutal, borderline special forces tactics and he is acting like they are bitches on hilltop. If he had been there that night chances are he would be dead too.

Plus, how has he got so many people? he seems intent on brutalizing anyone he meets, not great for recruiting, plus I don't buy there even being that many people left at this point (starvation / disease).

Fliesen

within the first 5 minutes of this episode, Negan already lost me again ... i mean, personally standing behind the gate, that has the vision blocking fabric screen in front ...
the_walking_dead_season_7_episode_4_1.0.jpg
ANYONE COULD SIMPLY HAVE SHOT HIM RIGHT THERE AND THEN.

i get the "you can't hurt me, we're all Negan" thing, but at that point in time - the BIG BAD stands in front of your STILL CLOSED gates, while you're still in possession of your guns. - in last season's finale, Negan didn't come out of his trailer until everyone of Rick's group was disarmed and kneeling...

Not that they should've shot him, but at that moment, Negan wasn't just demonstrating his untouchability, but also his stupidity.

also, whoa at that
Shane is Judith's dad
thing....

The reason they don't kill Negan is that they now know he has amassed a near army level of devout followers.

Much of last season showed they were fine with killing Negan at any time because they thought he was just the leader of a normal sized group, but now they know he is bigger than that and has more sway. If they kill him now they are 100% all dead in retaliation and Negan knows that, and that is why he is cocky. Rick does not want that to happen and so he is fearful to rebel right now. The show is visually depicting this many times by showing Rick with a weapon alone with Negan but choosing to hold back.

You dont just kill the leader and expect the army to go away. Things will get worse. At least with Negan leading The Saviours there is some ideals and rules to follow - without him it is just all out war and mass casualties. The key to ending Negan's reign is not going to be a quick bullet (or bat) to the head it is more complex than that.

Even though this show has had many issues throughout its run, they are handling Negan well IMO.

Negan is a pretty fair dude, Rick and company slaughtered so many of his people while they sleep and in retaliation only two people were killed. If Trevor were in charge of the saviors he probably would've killed the whole town already.

ElyrionX

I can't believe how much Rick has folded. It seems unbelievable. Is he faking it? It sounds like he isn't faking it.

Also, I know this show requires you to suspend your disbelief a lot but seriously, they couldn't have set a trap or something? Fire a rocket into Negan and the crowd and the whole damn organization will be in chaos without a figurehead. Sacrifice Daryl for the greater good.

Negan is a pretty fair dude, Rick and company slaughtered so many of his people while they sleep and in retaliation only two people were killed. If Trevor were in charge of the saviors he probably would've killed the whole town already.

One thing people are so quick to think about. The body count Rick and co. has vs the Survivors is huge. Yes they should have RPG'd Negans dumbass at the gate, but they need to build this war up. Can't wait to see that fucker eventually die though.

Enco

1. Kill Negan
2. All of Rick's group is murdered by Negan's group

How is that a conclusion? Do people think killing Negan would make all of his followers disappear??

ElyrionX

The reason they don't kill Negan is that they now know he has amassed a near army level of devout followers.

Much of last season showed they were fine with killing Negan at any time because they thought he was just the leader of a normal sized group, but now they know he is bigger than that and has more sway. If they kill him now they are 100% all dead in retaliation and Negan knows that, and that is why he is cocky. Rick does not want that to happen and so he is fearful to rebel right now. The show is visually depicting this many times by showing Rick with a weapon alone with Negan but choosing to hold back.

You dont just kill the leader and expect the army to go away. Things will get worse. At least with Negan leading The Saviours there is some ideals and rules to follow - without him it is just all out war and mass casualties. The key to ending Negan's reign is not going to be a quick bullet (or bat) to the head it is more complex than that.

Even though this show has had many issues throughout its run, they are handling Negan well IMO.

Out of curiosity, are there any events in history that illustrates this? I find this hard to believe. Psychotic leaders don't tend to command that kind of loyalty because when the leader is gone, the fear is gone and people think differently after that. If they kill Negan, the organization would probably take some time for a new leader to ascend which gives Rick and gang time to either flee or bunker down in Alexandria. I mean, the Governor had a goddamn tank and they still beat his ass.

It's only been a few episodes since Negan showed up. He's the best thing to happen to the show in a long time. Can't believe people want him gone already. Badass Rick blowing through anyone that got in his way had become so stale.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, the Negan stuff makes sense. At some point you gotta make sure the dog won't bite your hand. Even from the perspective of the other Saviors, they'd want Rick's group dead. I'm sure there are people who want to take Negan out, and would celebrate it. But the Saviors would still be motivated to kill Rick's group all the same. They pose a threat, they've killed Saviors before, and they were actually actively hunting them down. Even if Negan isn't leading, Rick's group is fucked.

Remember, they didn't just run into these people while strolling through the park. They basically agreed to be contract killers and then found out that their target was too much. People keep saying "fight back fight back!" Well they did fight back, and then got moved around like cattle and shown what the new rules were. The majority of Rick's group is soft. They've been behind the walls since the world went to shit. Negan's got a numbers advantage, weapons advantage, and he's leading a group of hardened survivors. Rick, Michonne, Rosita etc are the exceptions in their current group, not the norm. Not to mention that Rick wouldn't have Daryl, Carol, Sasha, Morgan, or Maggie at his disposal. And Glen and Abraham are dead. So he's supposed to fight back against a more advanced opponent with less than he had before they got their ass handed to them the first time? Rick acting like a mad dog in the situation would make zero sense.

I'm really wondering if Rick is faking this. He seems to have given up, but maybe it's some kind of weird strategy to get his people to cooperate for a while and then all of a sudden he's like "Now is our chance!" and crazy-Rick is back.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Why is Dwight desperate to be Daryl?

Extremely minor comic spoilers

It's actually funny seeing them have a somewhat antagonistic relationship. As many people know, Daryl doesn't exist in the comics. In the lead up to Negan's big introduction in the comics, there were teaser covers that had new characters on them, with their faces obscured. One of those covers had a guy with a crossbow on it, so naturally people assumed that Daryl was being introduced. It wasn't, but guess who that character was...Dwight! Seeing them interact now is a real treat.

Dwight has definitely taken it to the next level with the jacket and bike.

masud

Banned
It's like people forgot the elaborate lengths Negan went though to show Rick and co that they're severely out numbered. Attacking Negan at the gate would have been a death sentence. Negan has a clear second in command (Trevor) who wasnt there who would have slaughtered them all. Hell Negan may have had a few dozen men waiting a little further up the road, there would be know guarantee that Rick and co would have even survived the initial attack. Ricks know being a pussy he's trying to keep people alive.

jett

D-Member
JDM is having so much fun with this role, heh.

CORL really blows.

I'm not sure how they're getting out of this situation without any guns. And that dumbass Rosita is just gonna get someone killed. Preferably herself.

I'm really wondering if Rick is faking this. He seems to have given up, but maybe it's some kind of weird strategy to get his people to cooperate for a while and then all of a sudden he's like "Now is our chance!" and crazy-Rick is back.

Of course he's not fully broken. You can see it in his reaction in this episode where he stops himself from killing Negan because he knows what would happen to everyone else. In fact he says outright that he understands that sometimes he is to blame for the death of his people. So I think it is safe to assume that he won't make a move until he knows he has a chance and that his people won't all needlessly die because of his arrogant impulsive nature.

Also: Why are some in this thread surprised by the Shane/Judith revelation? Wasn't that insinuated beforehand?

What is the logical conclusion to life in a zombie apocalypse? Can society ever truly rebuild? How do people make new clothes once all the existing clothes disintegrate? Or blankets? There will come a time when the tacit knowledge of how to create basic necessities is lost.

Grizzlyjin

What is the logical conclusion to life in a zombie apocalypse? Can society ever truly rebuild? How do people make new clothes once all the existing clothes disintegrate? Or blankets? There will come a time when the tacit knowledge of how to create basic necessities is lost.

In this universe? I would probably argue that society can grow but only to a point. So you could have small towns but never cities. The virus is in the living, every person that dies will turn. I think that's manageable in a town with a small population. In a city, I could see things breaking down again fairly easily.

We've only gotten small glimpses of the world outside of the characters we know. Books would help, if they ever took any interest in building up those skill sets again.

mackattk

It's only been a few episodes since Negan showed up. He's the best thing to happen to the show in a long time. Can't believe people want him gone already. Badass Rick blowing through anyone that got in his way had become so stale.

People complaining that Rick hasn't blown away Negan yet or the show moving super slow... It is only on its 4th episode this season. Negan really is the only thing that is keeping me interested this season, if he were to go away already... what's next? the same basic formula that TWD has been using for the past few years?

I would still probably watch it, but it really isn't something I would look forward to.

His attitude kind of did turn a 180 after Negan left.

mackattk

Logical and walking dead have absolutely no business being in the same sentence. Anyway, I would imagine it would take a long, long time for clothes to disintegrate. I would imagine food and water would be of much higher importance.

sinkfla87

One of my favorite parts of this episode is when Gabriel lied about Maggie dying, Negan was actually visibly upset by the news. Sure, it could just be because he wanted her as a wife but that didn't seem to come off that way when he first finds out. I like that subtle complexity to him. He's not the one dimensional character everyone originally pegs him for.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I can't believe how much of a pussy Rick has turned into. I really don't like his character anymore, wouldn't mind if they killed him( I know it wouldn't happen), Carl or that priest guy.

lol...some of you guys are with those comments.

How does keeping everyone alive result in him being a pussy ? If he only looks the wrong way someone dies - including his son and baby daughter. Its such a basic concept yet you guys keep crying the second Rick cant act like a super hero.

Rick has been THAT dude for a while now - but now he has to play his part because there is no other solution for him at this point. Live to fight another day and so on...basic human instinct.

1. Kill Negan
2. All of Rick's group is murdered by Negan's group

How is that a conclusion? Do people think killing Negan would make all of his followers disappear??

Cut the head off the snake. Especially when the snake is still outside your gates.

Look, I get all the psychology 101 that goes into these things. It's paper thin.

I just think there's no way Negan walks right up to the gate without his lieutenants entering first and ensuring his safety.

cw_sasuke

Cut the head off the snake. Especially when the snake is still outside your gates.

Look, I get all the psychology 101 that goes into these things. It's paper thin.

I just think there's no way Negan walks right up to the gate without his lieutenants entering first and ensuring his safety.

lol....you already forgot the first episode of this season ? All the stuff wasnt just for show - Megan is acting that way because he already broke the group and their leader. They know they are dead if they act up....and Rick and. Co. still dont know how many people they have and where there main hideout is.

Would be just suicide for nothing...Rick is still a father of two at the end and wont risk their lives unless he is sure they can win...which in this world means survive.

The entire premier episode was about breaking Rick, he was broken. Why is everyone acting surprised that Rick is broken? Did we forget the premier?

It's going to take time but Rick will eventually be back, for now he is a broken man and understandbly so.

within the first 5 minutes of this episode, Negan already lost me again ... i mean, personally standing behind the gate, that has the vision blocking fabric screen in front ...

i get the "you can't hurt me, we're all Negan" thing, but at that point in time - the BIG BAD stands in front of your STILL CLOSED gates, while you're still in possession of your guns. - in last season's finale, Negan didn't come out of his trailer until everyone of Rick's group was disarmed and kneeling...

Not that they should've shot him, but at that moment, Negan wasn't just demonstrating his untouchability, but also his stupidity.

also, whoa at that
Shane is Judith's dad
thing....
The whole "I'm Negan" thing is to distill an air of immortality and hopelessness. They can kill Negan, but they can't take on his army. The fact that he gives Lucille to Rick (and axe in the first episode) is to show that even with the weapons, he is powerless. It's psychological break down of Rick and his leadership. A point will come where he will be heavily armed but subservient to Negan. That's what Negan wants to achieve.

lol....you already forgot the first episode of this season ? All the stuff wasnt just for show - Megan is acting that way because he already broke the group and their leader. They know they are dead if they act up....and Rick and. Co. still dont know how many people they have and where there main hideout is.

Would be just suicide for nothing...Rick is still a father of two at the end and wont risk their lives unless he is sure they can win...which in this world means survive.

The first episode of the season where 2 guys die? Sure. Rick & co. killed what 40+, 50+ of Negan's guys? Are we at war or are we just taking Lucille up the ass? Apparently the latter, which, again, feels (to me, admittedly) like a change in Rick's character.

cw_sasuke

The first episode of the season where 2 guys die? Sure. Rick & co. killed what 40+, 50+ of Negan's guys? Are we at war or are we just taking Lucille up the ass? Apparently the latter, which, again, feels (to me, admittedly) like a change in Rick's character.

This isnt a War - Ricks group already lost. If he acts up everyone dies....Daryls is Negans prisoner, Michonne wasnt even there, Carol and Morgan are gone etc. - what the hell do you expect Rick to do when Negan shows up unannounced just a couple days after killing Abe and Glenn ?

Put yourself in his shoes for a second....so you would rather have your family and friends killed so you can play the tough guy for 10 seconds ? Sounds like a smart plan. The group still dont know how much Saviors there are in total or where there main base is. This wasnt the day to fight back.

Look I'm loving JDM as much as anybody and is the only reason I'm still watching this show after last seasons clucterfuck of an ending(and I'm not just talking about the cliffhanger)but I just cannot buy bitch Rick, not after everything that motherfucker has gone through. At the end of season five, they finally set Rick up as the man who would do what is necessary. Well...killing Negan is fucking necessary. I get that they tried to show that Negan broke Rick, but I just don't but it. In that moment Rick definitely would've been upset but after getting back to Alexandria, the Rick I knew would've regrouped and come up with a plan. I mean, jesus christ, they took on a fucking zombie horde(TWICE!) last season and survived. How the fuck is this skinny fucker with a bat any scarier than what they've faced in the past, army or no?(how big is this supposed army also as we've never seen more than like 20 at the same time?) Because he killed Glen and Abe? No, fuck that! That would only make the Rick I knew's resolve grow even stronger.

The real kicker though was at the end of this episode when Michonne folded like a bitch after hearing Rick's sob story. The Michonne I knew would've told him to man the fuck up and figure something out together. I mean, Rick is so worried about everybody but the threat still looms, at any moment Negan could decide to take Michonne and rape and/or kill her or that fat fuck with the balloons could take that other young girl who's name escapes me and rape/kill her. Nothing is stopping these fuckers from one day just deciding to do those things. And then Negan takes all they're guns? How the fuck are they supposed to provide if they have no protection against the walker?. Again, while JDM is entertaining as fuck on the show, TWD is falling back into the same trap of forcing their characters into doing things completely out of character for the sake of the story they want to tell that particular season. It's just so fucking inconsistent and unbelievable!

I mean, did you see the fucking arsenal Rick just handed over to Negan? They could've literally taken out an army with all that shit. And seeing how excited Negan was at finding the RPG, they must not have had one of those. And the side with the RPG always wins!

This isnt a War - Ricks group already lost. If he acts up everyone dies....Daryls is Negans prisoner, Michonne wasnt even there, Carol and Morgan are gone etc. - what the hell do you expect Rick to do when Negan shows up unannounced just a couple days after killing Abe and Glenn ?

Put yourself in his shoes for a second....so you would rather have your family and friends killed so you can play the tough guy for 10 seconds ? Sounds like a smart plan.

Even if they don't act up they could die. Negan said himself, "I decide what's 50%". A man who says that is not a man you can trust. PERIOD. It sucks they got Daryl but the real Rick would've put a bullet though Negan's head when he was standing at the gate and had everyone else posted up to take out as many fuckers as possible. If Rick really cares about saving as many lives as possible, he would've sacrificed Daryl for the greater good. The greater good!

He was moments away from chopping his sons arm off with a machete. Kind of hard to bounce back quickly from that.

Bullshit. Rick is the human bouncey-ball. Even if he had gone through with it, Real Rick would've toasted Negan next time he saw him. Real Rick would've been ready for an army inside Alexandria. The only reason he didn't is because like everything else on the show, they're strrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttcccccccccchiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggg it out.

cw_sasuke

Even if they don't act up they could die. Megan said himself, "I decide what's 50%". A man who says that is not a man you can trust. PERIOD. It sucks they got Daryl but the real Rick would've put a bullet though Negan's head when he was standing at the gate and had everyone else posted up to take out as many fuckers as possible. If Rick really cares about saving as many lives as possible, he would've sacrificed Daryl for the greater good. The greater good!

Could die is still better than certain death. Compared to the shit Ricks group did and how many Saviours they killed they got away pretty well.

What you faul to understand is - the group has to survive and regroup first before they can even think of any type of comeback. If he acts up this episode every chance they have dies. because he forces Negans hand.

Fascinating to me that so many people here have trouble understanding such a simple concept.

Look I'm loving JDM as much as anybody and is the only reason I'm still watching this show after last seasons clucterfuck of an ending(and I'm not just talking about the cliffhanger)but I just cannot buy bitch Rick, not after everything that motherfucker has gone through. At the end of season five, they finally set Rick up as the man who would do what is necessary. Well...killing Negan is fucking necessary. I get that they tried to show that Negan broke Rick, but I just don't but it. In that moment Rick definitely would've been upset but after getting back to Alexandria, the Rick I knew would've regrouped and come up with a plan. I mean, jesus christ, they took on a fucking zombie horde(TWICE!) last season and survived. How the fuck is this skinny fucker with a bat any scarier than what they've faced in the past, army or no?(how big is this supposed army also as we've never seen more than like 20 at the same time?) Because he killed Glen and Abe? No, fuck that! That would only make the Rick I knew's resolve grow even stronger.

The real kicker though was at the end of this episode when Michonne folded like a bitch after hearing Rick's sob story. The Michonne I knew would've told him to man the fuck up and figure something out together. I mean, Rick is so worried about everybody but the threat still looms, at any moment Negan could decide to take Michonne and rape and/or kill her or that fat fuck with the balloons could take that other young girl who's name escapes me and rape/kill her. Nothing is stopping these fuckers from one day just deciding to do those things. And then Negan takes all they're guns? How the fuck are they supposed to provide if they have no protection against the walker?. Again, while JDM is entertaining as fuck on the show, TWD is falling back into the same trap of forcing their characters into doing things completely out of character for the sake of the story they want to tell that particular season. It's just so fucking inconsistent and unbelievable!

I mean, did you see the fucking arsenal Rick just handed over to Negan? They could've literally taken out an army with all that shit. And seeing how excited Negan was at finding the RPG, they must not have had one of those. And the side with the RPG always wins!

Yep this right here.

My point is that this bitch Rick is out of character. He would have tried to kill Negan. Maybe he dies. That didn't stop him from fighting the Governor. It didn't stop him from laying a trap in the church for the Terminus fucktards. Or wading through multiple hordes.

I get that he might die. I get that they all might die. BUT THEY MIGHT ANYWAY. Who's to say Negan will keep his word? Who's to say he won't cart off the women he wants, or the food, or the kids, or everything he fucking wants?

There's no way Rick rolls over. It's completely out of character.

cw_sasuke

Yep this right here.

My point is that this bitch Rick is out of character. He would have tried to kill Negan. Maybe he dies. That didn't stop him from fighting the Governor. It didn't stop him from laying a trap in the church for the Terminus fucktards. Or wading through multiple hordes.

I get that he might die. I get that they all might die. BUT THEY MIGHT ANYWAY. Who's to say Negan will keep his word? Who's to say he won't cart off the women he wants, or the food, or the kids, or everything he fucking wants?

There's no way Rick rolls over. It's completely out of character.

Did you miss the second half of last season and the first episode ? Rick DID try to kill Negan but couldnt go through with it because Negan outsmarted and outmanned him.

Ricks No. 1 priority always was keeping the group alive. What do you want him to do ? Kill off Negan and hundreds saviours on his own ?

It doesnt matter how badass someone is - at the he is human and Negan screwed him...hard. You dont just bounce back from that.

Could die is still better than certain death. Compared to the shit Ricks group did and how many Saviours they killed they got away pretty well.

What you faul to understand is - the group has to survive and regroup first before they can even think of any type of comeback. If he acts up this episode every chance they have dies. because he forces Negans hand.

Fascinating to me that so many people here have trouble understanding such a simple concept.

Man, you're definition of getting out well is scary. It's like Negan said to Rick at the end of the episode, he just slid his dick down Rick's throat and Rick said Thank You. The Rick I knew at the end of season 5, Glen and Abe head-splodey and all, wouldn't have backed down. In that moment, yes. But once he had time to regroup? Fuck No! I mean, they we're all just hanging out sulking instead of preparing for fucking war, which you know is eventually going to happen right? Again, mas stretchy!

Bullshit. Rick is the human bouncey-ball. Even if he had gone through with it, Real Rick would've toasted Negan next time he saw him. Real Rick would've been ready for an army inside Alexandria. The only reason he didn't is because like everything else on the show, they're strrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttcccccccccchiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggg it out.

Perhaps Real Rick isn't actually Real Rick. He ended up like that because it was how he survived. Now he's run into a situation that he can't tough guy his way out of so real rick goes away so he and his family can continue to survive.

You're not wrong that he's got out of some unbelievably bad situations in the past though so I suppose it's fair to ask why he isn't doing the same now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom