• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ Becomes Top-Grossing R-Rated Pic Of All Time

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It’s official: Marvel Studios and Disney’s Deadpool & Wolverine has become the top-grossing R-rated film of all time at the global box office, not adjusted for inflation.

Directed by Shawn Levy and starring Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman in what proved to be a stroke of casting magic, the movie shattered its latest — and most important record — on Thursday when passing up Todd Phillips’ Joker. Reynolds first shared the news on social media.

The Deadpool threequel finished Thursday with a global tally of $1.086 billion. That includes $516.8 million domestically and $568.8 million internationally.
Joker, starring Joaquin Phoenix in the titular role, grossed $1.079 billion in 2019, not adjusted for inflation. They are the only two R-rated movies to have crossed $1 billion.

No. 3 on the list of top R-rated global performer is Christopher Nolan’s 2023 film Oppenheimer ($974.5 million), followed by Reynolds’ two previous Deadpool pics, The Matrix Reloaded and The Passion of the Christ.

Until Deadpool & Wolverine came along, Mel Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ, released 20 years ago, retained the crown for the top-grossing R-rated film domestically with more than $378 million in ticket sales.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Not all that surprising. I still haven’t seen it, but I might go this weekend.

Fake

Gold Member
What need to happen to this be true? Just putting 2 gigachads actors back to the game.

Hrk69

Gold Member
What need to happen to this be true? Just putting 2 gigachads actors back to the game.
Reynolds is a gigachad now?

200.gif

Lambogenie

Knew it'd be popular but that this popular.

It sucks because now we'll more annoying Ryan Reynolds. God I've moved from enjoying him in his TV days to tired of him before Deadpool 1 even dropped!

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Disney - a family-friendly billion dollar movie in the theaters at the same time they have not just a billion dollar rated R movie also in the theaters, but the highest grossing rated R movie of all time.

Next up is likely Snow White. Aladdin, the Lion King, and Beauty and the Beast live action remakes all made a billion. I see no reason a story as popular as Snow White won't do the same. Captain America and Thunderbolts though? Doubt it.

Ulysses 31

Disney - a family-friendly billion dollar movie in the theaters at the same time they have not just a billion dollar rated R movie also in the theaters, but the highest grossing rated R movie of all time.

Next up is likely Snow White. Aladdin, the Lion King, and Beauty and the Beast live action remakes all made a billion. I see no reason a story as popular as Snow White won't do the same. Captain America and Thunderbolts though? Doubt it.
The Little Mermaid didn't come close to making a billion and that's based on a popular animated movie. What makes you think this will?

ManaByte

Gold Member
'All those conversations were worth it'

=

'I'm going to lay some sort of claim on a movie that almost entirely consists of things I had fuck all to do with creating".

The original movie Ryan Reynolds wanted to make was a $5 million road movie with just Deadpool and Dopinder and no special effects:

"Literally, it was a $5 or $6 million budget with no special effects. It was just a talkie-talkie road trip with me and Dopinder (Karan Soni's driver character) and some of the things we collected and saw along the way. It wasn’t meant to be an event movie. If we’re on our way to Point C, it was meant to just get us to Point B. That was the weirdest one. I liked it. I thought it was kind of fun," Ryan shared recently.

It wasn't a follow up to Loki S1 like Marvel then made it.

Deadpool shares a lot of similarity with Thor as a character. Their movies were kind of shit or either no one cared about the first two. In the end they reached everyone's heart. Moral of the story: stick with it.

Last edited:
The last one came out in 2018, why would there still be constant talking about them? Nobody said they were amongst the best of all time, but it’s a bizarre take to claim no one cared about them.
A movie of the week versus something that will stay in the hearts of fans for decades. There's a difference. Avengers was the status quo.

I feel like DP3 will stay strong in people's memories. Like an Avengers film.

Doom85

A movie of the week versus something that will stay in the hearts of fans for decades. There's a difference. Avengers was the status quo.

I feel like DP3 will stay strong in people's memories. Like an Avengers film.

Riiiiiiight, because people talk about Thor 3 or 4 as much as an Avengers film.

Milwaukee Bucks What GIF by NBA

Come on, you’re reaching. A movie can still be pretty well loved even if it doesn’t warrant frequent discussion.

Also, let’s not sit here and pretend adding Wolverine wasn’t a big factor in putting more butts in seats. I’m not saying the movie is weak or anything, but audience scores and box office show that the first two movies were well received. You can be dismissive all you want, the numbers are there regardless.

Hell, I won’t forget Deadpool 2, not just for the movie, but the Blu-Ray having my favorite BR/DVD menu:

Come on, you’re reaching. A movie can still be pretty well loved even if it doesn’t warrant frequent discussion.
My point is that some movies have longer legs than others. It's hard to become a cult classic or just a modern classic.

For example. Speed Racer was an excellent film (bar the Spritle parts) but people just didn't get it. And that's alright.

Doom85

My point is that some movies have longer legs than others. It's hard to become a cult classic or just a modern classic.

For example. Speed Racer was an excellent film (bar the Spritle parts) but people just didn't get it. And that's alright.

But it seems presumptuous to already assume this will be a classic, and this is coming from someone who had a blast with the movie. Like, it’s great, but I’d say even by FOX‘s Marvel entries, First Class, Days of Future Past, and Logan are better films.

Regardless, another issue was the Thor comparison. I really don’t think people discuss Ragnarok and/or Love and Thunder that much more than Deadpool 1 and/or 2.

But it seems presumptuous to already assume this will be a classic, and this is coming from someone who had a blast with the movie. Like, it’s great, but I’d say even by FOX‘s Marvel entries, First Class, Days of Future Past, and Logan are better films.

Regardless, another issue was the Thor comparison. I really don’t think people discuss Ragnarok and/or Love and Thunder that much more than Deadpool 1 and/or 2.
I agree. Well, we'll have to come back to this thread in a couple of years to find out.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
if i am a time traveller, I’ll establish myself as a reliable leaker, then casually tweet out “henry cavill and chris evans will both appear in a record-breaking super hero movie” right after Black Adam start screening in theatre

Top Bottom