• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Shrek 5’ Set for July 2026

Draugoth

Gold Member
MCDSHFO_EC033.jpg

DreamWorks Animation has announced that “Shrek 5″ is officially in development, with a far, far away release date of July 1, 2026. Original “Shrek” stars Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy and Cameron Diaz are all confirmed to return.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Somebody once told me the world was gonna roll me

I didn't know they meant we would still be getting Shrek movies 25 years later

jason10mm

Gold Member
Somebody once told me the world was gonna roll me

I didn't know they meant we would still be getting Shrek movies 25 years later
Apropos to what I said earlier, I think a BIG reason why we get so many sequels to CG kids films that we didn't for hand animated stuff (Land before time excepted, JFC that franchise...) is because audiences are chasing the joy of the first film but can't stand the graphics, so they want the newer tech version. Rarely does some one sit down and fire up a 90s cg film like they do for classic animation, so the tolerance for "more of the same" is much higher.

Billbofet

Thank goodness the writer strike ended or we'd have nothing to look forward to like this.......

Shrek sucks ass after 2.

Doom85

Most do, but I didn’t even like Shrek 2. 1 is still great, but as soon as 2 started with a “are we there yet?” running gag (a joke already way outdated even back when the movie released), I had a bad feeling about 2 and sure enough it wasn’t as funny and was pretty redundant.

I do want to see that new Puss in Boots movie as apparently it‘s pretty hype (hopefully I can follow it fine without seeing the first Puss in Boots film).

But yeah, Shrek never needed to be a series for me. Kung fu Panda and How to Train your Dragon were the Dreamworks films that actually warranted follow ups in my book.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Apropos to what I said earlier, I think a BIG reason why we get so many sequels to CG kids films that we didn't for hand animated stuff (Land before time excepted, JFC that franchise...) is because audiences are chasing the joy of the first film but can't stand the graphics, so they want the newer tech version. Rarely does some one sit down and fire up a 90s cg film like they do for classic animation, so the tolerance for "more of the same" is much higher.
I threw on a bug's life last week. Still awesome 😎

Blade2.0

Most do, but I didn’t even like Shrek 2. 1 is still great, but as soon as 2 started with a “are we there yet?” running gag (a joke already way outdated even back when the movie released), I had a bad feeling about 2 and sure enough it wasn’t as funny and was pretty redundant.

I do want to see that new Puss in Boots movie as apparently it‘s pretty hype (hopefully I can follow it fine without seeing the first Puss in Boots film).

But yeah, Shrek never needed to be a series for me. Kung fu Panda and How to Train your Dragon were the Dreamworks films that actually warranted follow ups in my book.
You don't need to see the old one to enjoy the new one.

Last edited:

I found 2 to be hilarious at the time, not so fond of what followed, though I am certain I heard back then that there was going to be five of them.

Sadly the new puss in boots makes my eyes hurt :'-( I can stomach 12 fps on my N64 but not a movie.

calistan

These cg films age soooooo badly. Shrek, Toy Story, they look like cheap Russian animated commercials now.

Had they been hand animated I'm convinced they would be perennial classics.
Toy Story was the first of its kind, so it does look pretty primitive today. They should re-render it with the animation techniques from Toy Story 4.

I dislike Shrek because of Mike Myers's stupid accent, but the animation doesn't look too bad. Generations beyond Toy Story at least, and higher production values than you'll see in modern animated kids' TV series and cheaper movies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Why would you announce a movie that’s two years away? Do people care that much about Shrek?

Trogdor1123

These cg films age soooooo badly. Shrek, Toy Story, they look like cheap Russian animated commercials now.

Had they been hand animated I'm convinced they would be perennial classics.
They are still great movies. This like saying you can’t enjoy a nes or snes game because they aren’t cutting edge and that’s not true at all. They are just products of their time.

Diddy X

They using the same old song shows they are trying hard to bring the old charisma of the series which is kinda lame, bring new stuff or kill the saga already.

Top Bottom