• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 fake Simpsons words that belong in the dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

haha, you serious that is how you spell it?

maybe its the way Australians pronounce their 't's in the middle of words that made me think it was spelt like that (a 't' is replaced with a 'd' sound e.g. the number forty is pronounced like fordy and thirty sounds like thirdy)

Smarch needs to be added. I use it all the time in normal conversation when the weather is bad.

vra9z5.jpg

worldrunover said:
Ironically the Simpsons had an episode based on putting a word in the dictionary, and that word is not on the list!
That word was Homer though:

Homer:
noun
1. American bonehead
2. pull a Homer: to succeed despite idiocy

Edit: beaten

Hi Gameboy .. you post on CAG a lot right?

And there's no need to add it to the dictionary but I must admit that I always refer to Ambient as Napien now. A lot of times I forget that Napien is the joke version.

(it causes elbow stink, foot fattening, and mood swings. Mood swings? Mood swings! Moooooood swiiiiiiiiiiings!!!)

Ohh and I just remembered my favorite quote from the Simpsons: Get this Bedlamite an Alienist!

I'm gonna keep using it until Bedlamite and Alienist make their way back into the American lexicon.

Cheshire

Kurtofan said:
Why?
The French dubbing is good.
That way I can watch the Simpsons twice!

The French dub has a certain charm about it. Takes a bit to get used to after 10 years of English voices though.

Mael

Gui_PT said:
No.

Also, Ay Caramba!

It's okay to be wrong,
seriously the french homer and marge sound just like the original, it's uncanny (and they kinda look like homer & marge too, they're also married).
Although the french version does not emphasise on the same stuff, it's less emotional and more comedic (french homer is REALLY way dumber than its american counterpart).
There's also some sequences that are really way more funny in french than in english (Homer eating homar while crying).
Lisa on the other hand is either : normal (meaning Yardley is way better) or just plain annoying.

Who cares any it just means that before the dvd season gets anywhere I must watch it 3 times (french, english, commentaries)

And Gamblor is really awesome!
Bonestorm is also awesome, I really love the name they give to their false products in general.

edit :
The French dub has a certain charm about it. Takes a bit to get used to after 10 years of English voices though.

Speak for yourself, getting used to english VA after being litterally raised watching the french version is really weird.
Especially for Homer, Marge & Bart.
The voices are way more consistent in english though(and that's a shame)

atomsk

Party Pooper
i vote for sacrelicious

Homer: Oh, Lord! Why do You mock me? (looking up at ceiling).
Marge: Homer, that’s not God. That’s a waffle Bart stuck to the ceiling.
Homer: Lord, I know I shouldn’t eat Thee, but… mmmm…sacrelicious.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
MisterHero said:
Debigulator
Saxamaphone

Me and my mates call the 3.5mm to 3/4 inch headphone connector things bigulators, and the reverse debigulators.

Jeff-DSA

RadioHeadAche said:
Gamblor

"The only monster here is the gambling monster that has enslaved your mother! I call him Gamblor, and it's time to snatch your mother from his neon claws!"

My gamertag is Gamblor 155. ICallHimGamblor was available...but too long.

Gui_PT said:
Subbed or dubbed?

Dubbing the Simpsons should be a crime

I'm the first one who will hate on things when they are dubbed but Simpsons is one of the very few exceptions. Maybe it's because i grew up with the dubbed german version but i also find the german voices more charismatic and hilarious, especialy Homer's.

Because of this the characters always seem a little flat to me in the original version.

CrankyJay

Banned
atomsk said:
i vote for sacrelicious

Homer: Oh, Lord! Why do You mock me? (looking up at ceiling).
Marge: Homer, that’s not God. That’s a waffle Bart stuck to the ceiling.
Homer: Lord, I know I shouldn’t eat Thee, but… mmmm…sacrelicious.

Heh, was coming here to post that.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Steppenwolf said:
I'm the first one who will hate on things when they are dubbed but Simpsons is one of the very few exceptions. Maybe it's because i grew up with the dubbed german version but i also find the german voices more charismatic and hilarious, especialy Homer's.

Because of this the characters always seem a little flat to me in the original version.
I actually find "sacrilicious" to be way funnier in german. I use "sakriköstlich" all the time :lol

agrajag said:
I can't believe that stupid site got "card hold" wrong.
What makes you so sure it's car hold? Because 2 other people in this thread thought so too? The first time Moe says it, I can agree you can hear "car hold" instead, but when Homer says it a minute later it's clearly pronounced as "car hole".

snpp, a site that has all the transcripts (and just about everything else) from every Simpsons episode also says car hole.

Personally I also think car hole is more funny than car hold, since it's an even more "vulgar" and stupid term for garage, which makes sense since Moe thinks garage is too fancy shmancy.

Mael

Souldriver said:
What makes you so sure it's car hold? Because 2 other people in this thread thought so too? The first time Moe says it, I can agree you can hear "car hold" instead, but when Homer says it a minute later it's clearly pronounced as "car hole".

snpp, a site that has all the transcripts (and just about everything else) from every Simpsons episode also says car hole.

Personally I also think car hole is more funny than car hold, since it's an even more "vulgar" and stupid term for garage, which makes sense since Moe thinks garage is too fancy shmancy.

it's easy to see who's right,
I mean it's in a dvd after all and there's always the subtitles right?

some french ones :
Homer : "Energie Niquélaire, on dit énergie niquélaire!"

"Oh papa homer, tu es tellement cultivé!"
"On dit culturé, culturé!"

BigAT

To end the hole/hold debate once and for all:

1zqc31v.jpg

Getting out my season 6 DVDs for this reminded me how much I hate that box set. The original Homer head case is the WORST.

Gui_PT

agrajag said:
Well, car hold is certainly funnier/makes more sense. :/

What? Car hole is way funnier :lol

BigAT said:
Getting out my season 6 DVDs for this reminded me how much I hate that box set. The original Homer head case is the WORST.

Why is that?

SuperBonk

Needs Skittlebrau

Homer: "I'm feelin' low, Apu. You got any of that beer that has candy floating in it, you know, Skittlebrau?"
Apu: "Such a product does not exist, sir! You must have dreamed it."
Homer: "Oh. Well then just gimme a six-pack and a couple of bags of Skittles."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom