• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1001 Spikes |OT| +1 spike

Someone was asking about coins...you can unlock a shop to buy things in, I think after a certain number of skulls. There's an Obamacare(Thompsoncare) joke in there, it costs a million coins...I'm wondering if it's possible.

Also there are more maps than the Ukampa one, 100 stages. I've seen the Antartica map in the store for purchase.

The game is amazing.

But 4-3. I can get all the way to the end easily enough, but I can't get through the door before the spikes get me. What is the trick to it?

I'm stuck there too. I haven't accomplished it yet, but I'm pretty sure you need to use all three spaces near the door. First you trigger the spikes, while opening the door, then move to one side and move to the other side in succession, by that time the door is open and the spikes are down. Granted this is easier said than done and I haven't done it yet. Edit: I did it, and yes, you need to come in from the left(so don't turn on the fire on your way up), hit the door, walk to the right, jump the door spikes to the left, and then the door will be open and the spikes will be down! And now I'm stuck on the next level!

bronk

Banned
If I already have the xbox indie one is it worth it to get this one on Ps4? I had alot of fun with it but not sure if I should buy it again

Nixonomics

The game is amazing.

But 4-3. I can get all the way to the end easily enough, but I can't get through the door before the spikes get me. What is the trick to it?

This is where I stopped last night. I'm really cool headed I don't get aggravated easily when playing games, but those spikes by the door - Oh man. That first death via the exit spikes got me muttering.

I'm still super excited to get home and try again though!

Can't see it at work. Guess I'll check it tonight at home.

Golden Boy
Complete the Golden Temple

Stone Cold
Complete Antarctica

Lost and Found
Complete the Lost Levels

Towerful

Complete the Tower of Nannar

Headhunter
Collect all golden skulls

Collector
Unlock every character and costume

Speed Runner
Complete every stage of the main game as Aban Hawkins with a cumulative time of less than 30 minutes

Serpentine
Find the Key of Serpentis

I'd been anticipating the hell out of this game, and got it within an hour of it going live (3DS eShop). Up to 4-1, and goddamn. This game is a work of genius. Not so sold on the vertical tower-climb I unlocked, but the main game is astounding and hits all the right notes. I've just got to figure out the timing on the last two traps of 4-1, and I'm home free <3 I love the way that your stageruns develop--once you've got it figured out, you can do a pretty awesome run, deftly avoiding traps that once claimed dozens of your lives. So good!

I skimmed the thread and perhaps missed it but is there any difference between the Steam and PS4 versions aside from the amount of achievements/trophies? Any characters specific to one particular version? At this point the main consideration is $5 cheaper on Steam but I think I'd prefer playing it on the PS4 controller instead of the 360 controller hooked to my PC.

In 4-1 i cant hit the switch while falling to save my life, and the evil thing is , that even if i hit it, the moment i land , i have like a second to turn around and attack the spike coming from behind

In 4-1 i cant hit the switch while falling to save my life, and the evil thing is , that even if i hit it, the moment i land , i have like a second to turn around and attack the spike coming from behind

Jump the spike with a low jump. It'll shoot another very shortly after, so anticipating jumping twice to reach the door if need be.

I'm stuck there too. I haven't accomplished it yet, but I'm pretty sure you need to use all three spaces near the door. First you trigger the spikes, while opening the door, then move to one side and move to the other side in succession, by that time the door is open and the spikes are down. Granted this is easier said than done and I haven't done it yet. Edit: I did it, and yes, you need to come in from the left(so don't turn on the fire on your way up), hit the door, walk to the right, jump the door spikes to the left, and then the door will be open and the spikes will be down! And now I'm stuck on the next level!

Thanks. I tried that a few times but it didn't work out. Then you start wondering if it is execution or the plan.

Will try again.

Edit. Easy when you know how :| I was just leaving out a jump.

hawk2025

Game's incredible.

Just incredible. I love the
unlockable tower mode
, where the game completely shifts to a super quick and twitch experience rather than the methodical main campaign.

Just incredible. I love the
unlockable tower mode
, where the game completely shifts to a super quick and twitch experience rather than the methodical main campaign.

I agree. If they added some more levels of it, they could sell it as a stand alone game.

And it would be a very good one.

VanWinkle

This game is great. Wish they would have went 16-bit or so instead of the really pixelated [8-bit?] look they went with. Just something higher detailed than this. But, yeah, still awesome.

maxcriden

Man, this game is awesome. Played a few more levels tonight. Y'all are much better at games than I am. We're up to 2-5 (I think) and it's destroying us. This part specifically, it took us forever to figure out
you can shoot the dart blowers:

zlCfzSAtm2gFLnQq08

We're stuck right after this, though. Very tricky. Extremely fun, though.

BTW, Camjo-Z, I do think I've now played the level you mentioned. You're right, that one in particular definitely required trial and error.

Tapejara

I'm horrible at this game. But it's pretty damn great. I'm still stuck on one of the early levels, need to learn how to time my attacks better. Deflecting arrows is tough :/.

Man, this game is awesome. Played a few more levels tonight. Y'all are much better at games than I am. We're up to 2-5 (I think) and it's destroying us. This part specifically, it took us forever to figure out

zlCfzSAtm2gFLnQq08

BTW, Camjo-Z, I do think I've now played the level you mentioned. You're right, that one in particular definitely required trial and error.

Oh God, yes this is where I'm at right now. I get so close to the door and then get
burned to a crisp.

ThisOne

Why doesn't the PS4 get the same discount that the Wii U gets? :'(

I'll buy the game when it's a little bit cheaper. Looks fun and addictive though.

I'm horrible at this game. But it's pretty damn great. I'm still stuck on one of the early levels, need to learn how to time my attacks better. Deflecting arrows is tough :/.

4-4 features you having to deflect four arrow traps each at least twice....it's insane. Then I got that down, but die in the second section.

maxcriden

Oh God, yes this is where I'm at right now. I get so close to the door and then get
burned to a crisp.

Yeah, it's brutal. We're not even at that part of the level yet. :(

4-4 features you having to deflect four arrow traps each at least twice....it's insane. Then I got that down, but die in the second section.

I can't even imagine. And I thought Scram Kitty was hard.

ImLibo

zlCfzSAtm2gFLnQq08

I died more than 90 times on that level,super hard but damn,the feeling you get when you finally beat a tough level is like no other,loving this game.

Played a bit last night. Tons of content and modes, lots of characters each with their own story and music, and seems like a great purchase.

BUT... it seems to crash often on Windows 8.1. I was streaming it last night and it crashed quite a few times. I rarely ever have a game crash, and if it does it isn't as consistently as this one did, which is disappointing.

Multiplayer in the story mode is really pointless as well, because most levels are made for 1 player, so unless your friends literally move in unison with you, there are many levels they will not make it through. It just becomes frustrating, instead of fun and I'd prefer to play alone, mostly.

There is a built in timer for speed runners I'll be taking advantage of here soon!

BooJoh

Here are some images to illustrate the difference in the 3DS and Wii U versions that greatly affects difficulty.

Here is the above-mentioned falling blocks stage on Wii U. There is no indication of where you'll need to stand to be safe, or even that anything will fall.

coA6Gy4.jpg

Here's the same stage on 3DS. Note that the blocks that will fall are brighter, and the safe spot is obvious.

IuvY2ku.jpg

Now here's another stage on Wii U. Again, no hints as to what's going to kill you.

tOs8EQC.jpg

The same stage on 3DS. It's very obvious where the falling floors are, and if you look closely, even the dart-shooting face is slightly brighter than the ones that don't shoot.

FVtwlwU.jpg

Wow that's pretty nuts.
I remember from the XBLIG version that a lot of the game's difficulty came from having no idea what objects were trapped.

Lucent

Here are some images to illustrate the difference in the 3DS and Wii U versions that greatly affects difficulty.

Here is the above-mentioned falling blocks stage on Wii U. There is no indication of where you'll need to stand to be safe, or even that anything will fall.

coA6Gy4.jpg

Here's the same stage on 3DS. Note that the blocks that will fall are brighter, and the safe spot is obvious.

IuvY2ku.jpg

Now here's another stage on Wii U. Again, no hints as to what's going to kill you.

tOs8EQC.jpg

The same stage on 3DS. It's very obvious where the falling floors are, and if you look closely, even the dart-shooting face is slightly brighter than the ones that don't shoot.

FVtwlwU.jpg

Okay, we need a PS4 screenshot now. lol I don't want all blocks being bright. D=

EDIT: actually, I can see if someone is streaming the game on PS4. lol

VanWinkle

Okay, we need a PS4 screenshot now. lol I don't want all blocks being bright. D=

EDIT: actually, I can see if someone is streaming the game on PS4. lol

Here's Vita. I don't remember for sure, but I think it's the same on PS4:

BpVglf0IUAAysWR.jpg:orig

So, what's the best version of the game overall? I don't care about any deals, just the game itself.

They're probably all basically the same. I love having it on both PS4 and Vita for the price of one, though. But, yeah, I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with any of them.

Five

Banned
Jonathan Blow was streaming this game, praising its level design like none other. He's even had Aban as his Twittter avatar for a few months now. Personally, I don't think trial and error is ever good design, so I like how the 3DS version highlights the stones/traps that act differently.

A lot of this game to me feels like I Wanna Be the Guy except without the self-awareness. Is that just something people like, or am I missing something?

VanWinkle

Jonathan Blow was streaming this game, praising its level design like none other. He's even had Aban as his Twittter avatar for a few months now. Personally, I don't think trial and error is ever good design, so I like how the 3DS version highlights the stones/traps that act differently.

A lot of this game to me feels like I Wanna Be the Guy except without the self-awareness. Is that just something people like, or am I missing something?

Yeah, I can't help but think the way 3DS version does it is the way it's supposed to be. It shouldn't be trial and error.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hmmm... Might go WiiU, then.

Either way, I think I really need to get this. It's like this game was made for me.

Yeah, I can't help but think the way 3DS version does it is the way it's supposed to be. It shouldn't be trial and error.

I have to disagree with that.

Obviously it is a matter of taste, but the gameplay style presented here (at least in the non 3DS versions) isn't necessarily trial by error.

I'll call it "trial to expect error".

There is obviously some failure and learning (about 10-20 deaths a stage), but a good game of this genre goes beyond that. Take how the game presents certain features:

* The blocks shown above that are not highlighted? One will fall on your head and kill you.
* After playing the game for a while, you will expect them to fall.
* Once you expect them to fall, you'll start to look for them and plan ahead.
* Once you plan ahead, you'll avoid a trap instinctively and feel pretty good about it.
* Once you start planning, the game starts throwing spikes on the blocks that you are likely to stand on, in order to plan out a section.

It should also be noted that spikes will always give you the little red tips first, giving you a chance to react. Generally I wouldn't react the first time because I was too busy scanning the level looking for upcoming obstacles. But this was my fault and I learned from it.

I've got to the end of I want to Be the Boshy (the penultimate stage broke me) and that is a very different game. It throws random shit at you just to troll, there are very few rules and you just have to roll with it. I believe 1001 spikes to be very well designed and is ultimately pretty fair.

Yeah, I also find it pretty fair. For the most part, you are given plenty of time to sit and plan your next move, and complete a section. Sort of a platformer Dark Souls. Patience and persistence required.

Edit to add: toddhunter describes it perfectly.

I also have to say, when stuck on a level, the bonus characters and Lost Levels mode provide a perfect way to continue playing while reducing your rage. Going over previously done levels is now a lot easier, and can help get you back in the groove. In other games I've found I get stuck, and just eventually quit because I keep banging my head against the same level. This gives you plenty of options, beyond even just skipping a hard stage.

BooJoh

Personally, I don't think trial and error is ever good design, so I like how the 3DS version highlights the stones/traps that act differently.?

I actually agree with this and find the 3DS version more enjoyable, though I'm not going to complain if they patch it out because it was obviously not the intention of the developer, and the game is fun either way.

Here's Vita. I don't remember for sure, but I think it's the same on PS4:

BpVglf0IUAAysWR.jpg:orig

They're probably all basically the same. I love having it on both PS4 and Vita for the price of one, though. But, yeah, I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with any of them.

So only the 3ds version highlights the traps ? thats crazy

Lucent

Pulled the trigger on the PS4/Vita combo. I know some people are fed up with the pixel art stuff, but I love it. lol

VanWinkle

I have to disagree with that.

Obviously it is a matter of taste, but the gameplay style presented here (at least in the non 3DS versions) isn't necessarily trial by error.

I'll call it "trial to expect error".

There is obviously some failure and learning (about 10-20 deaths a stage), but a good game of this genre goes beyond that. Take how the game presents certain features:

* The blocks shown above that are not highlighted? One will fall on your head and kill you.
* After playing the game for a while, you will expect them to fall.
* Once you expect them to fall, you'll start to look for them and plan ahead.
* Once you plan ahead, you'll avoid a trap instinctively and feel pretty good about it.
* Once you start planning, the game starts throwing spikes on the blocks that you are likely to stand on, in order to plan out a section.

It should also be noted that spikes will always give you the little red tips first, giving you a chance to react. Generally I wouldn't react the first time because I was too busy scanning the level looking for upcoming obstacles. But this was my fault and I learned from it.

I've got to the end of I want to Be the Boshy (the penultimate stage broke me) and that is a very different game. It throws random shit at you just to troll, there are very few rules and you just have to roll with it. I believe 1001 spikes to be very well designed and is ultimately pretty fair.

Yeah, that's a fair assessment.

Angryhead

Neo Member
Bummed that the PSN version isn't out in Europe yet.
Maybe I'll buy the Steam version instead then, 6,66€ seems like a more-than-fair price.

Lucent

I noticed some locations even in the first world don't have the gold skulls in plain site but they still have a skull at the stage. Does that mean they're just hidden really well? Didn't see one in stage 1-1, 1-4, or 1-6.

Five

Banned
I noticed some locations even in the first world don't have the gold skulls in plain site but they still have a skull at the stage. Does that mean they're just hidden really well? Didn't see one in stage 1-1, 1-4, or 1-6.

A lot of skulls are hidden inside of stone blocks. You can throw enough knives at those stones to break them open and reveal the skull.

batbeg

This game... Wow, it's really difficult. I definitely think there's an element of trial and error, but it isn't designed around it. Most of my deaths seem to be from forgetting which traps to look out for

BooJoh

I just unlocked my 4th character (8th for Arcade mode,)
Juni. As a big fan of Nifflas and especially Knytt
, I'm positively giddy to see this character in the game.

I just unlocked my 4th character (8th for Arcade mode,)
Juni. As a big fan of Nifflas and especially Knytt
, I'm positively giddy to see this character in the game.

She's by far the easiest character to play as...double jumps, wall climbs AND float falling! Basically I realized trying to get coins as anyone but her was a waste of time. You can literally run over the ceilings of many areas as her.

Top Bottom