• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1001 Spikes |OT| +1 spike

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Which versions are available in Europe atm besides Steam ?

This looks exactly like my kind of game, but the C64-sized pixels in the screens are putting me off. Has anyone played the PS4 version on a 50" or larger TV who would care to comment?

Lucent

This looks exactly like my kind of game, but the C64-sized pixels in the screens are putting me off. Has anyone played the PS4 version on a 50" or larger TV who would care to comment?

Playing it on a 39" and I don't think it'd look much different on anything bigger.

And yeah I think I'm gonna be stuck on stage 2-5 for a bit.
Timing knife throws to stop arrows while trying to run under spikes? Are you freak'n kidding me?

So far I have all the gold skulls you can get up to 2-5. Same for coins with one of the unlockable characters. Sucks that they share the same pool of lives though. I seriously did spend about 25 lives and not even getting the key in 2-5. Down to about 900 lives. =l

BooJoh

Playing it on a 39" and I don't think it'd look much different on anything bigger.

And yeah I think I'm gonna be stuck on stage 2-5 for a bit.
Timing knife throws to stop arrows while trying to run under spikes? Are you freak'n kidding me?

So far I have all the gold skulls you can get up to 2-5. Same for coins with one of the unlockable characters. Sucks that they share the same pool of lives though. I seriously did spend about 25 lives and not even getting the key in 2-5. Down to about 900 lives. =l

If you're on the level I'm thinking of, it took me a lot of tries to get past but for the darts
I just spammed my knives and then when I saw the dart get destroyed I knew it was safe to make a run for it.
And lives aren't a huge deal since
you get 100 whenever you get the artifact at the end of each world, plus you can eventually buy lives with coins.

By the way, one bug that seems to be consistently repeatable on both Nintendo versions is a lockup when entering the large door at the end of 1-6 (last tutorial stage) while playing as certain characters (Commander Video and
Juni
both caused the lockup for me.)

duckroll

Looking for some honest advice here. I'm not sure if I want to pick this game up right now, but I'm interested. What I would like to know if whether this is a proper linear action platformer, or if it's something closer to Super Meat Boy. Are there simply tons and tons of levels where your objective is just to grab the key and escape while there are traps everywhere, or is there an actual feeling of progression in the level design, with enemies, bosses, power ups, etc? I've watched the trailers but I can't really tell.

Looking for some honest advice here. I'm not sure if I want to pick this game up right now, but I'm interested. What I would like to know if whether this is a proper linear action platformer, or if it's something closer to Super Meat Boy. Are there simply tons and tons of levels where your objective is just to grab the key and escape while there are traps everywhere, or is there an actual feeling of progression in the level design, with enemies, bosses, power ups, etc? I've watched the trailers but I can't really tell.

By your line of questioning I'll say that there are themed levels (like one set of levels has lava) where you collect an item at the end. But basically you are treating each level as its own puzzle and grabbing the key to escape. There is some story and cutscenes, but it is the type of stuff you'll just want to skip to get back to the action.

map_screen6bohm.png

(Late game)
You do need to collect all the items to progress to the last area (which means beat all the levels) and there are bosses to fight right at the end and more adventures to do which might be more in line with what you want, but I still don't think this is in the spirit of what you are after.

I think Super Meat Boy is a good comparison, or even something like Escape Goat if you have played that (and you probably should).

Meanwhile the "Don't be stupid tip of the day"

You can duck slightly. This doesn't seem useful and like me you might not even realise you could do it. But for one level it is bloody useful once you remember.

BooJoh

This is mostly a lite-masocore puzzle platformer. Think Super Meat Boy with a slower pacing.

One of the arcade modes is vertically scrolling stages with bosses, but it's really short. Another arcade mode is more traditional platforming style stages, I'm not sure how long that one is but it's a much less guided experience insomuch as the levels aren't carefully crafted to make you follow an exact path.

The main meat of the game doesn't seem to be what you're looking for though, it's definitely more of a puzzle platformer, with most of the focus on avoiding and memorizing traps to get through each level. Combat is very limited and infrequent.

maxcriden

Yeah, I also find it pretty fair. For the most part, you are given plenty of time to sit and plan your next move, and complete a section. Sort of a platformer Dark Souls. Patience and persistence required.

That's a really good point. One of my favorite aspects of this game is that it has no timer. Probably going to lose some cred saying this, but I found Mutant Mudds way too hard since you were constantly dealing with what I felt like was a pretty short amount of time to complete a level. In 1001 Spikes, you can sit there as long as you like and try to puzzle out the best strategy to take.

duckroll

I see, thanks for the impressions. It sounds like something I might want to play eventually, but probably not at the moment. I guess I'll keep waiting for Shovel Knight to get a release date.... >_<

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Which versions are available in Europe atm besides Steam ?

To clarify a bit
since 0 fucks were given

Can I play this on Wii U, Vita or 3DS in Europe?

That Scram Kitty looked more interesting than it's name btw

maxcriden

To clarify a bit
since 0 fucks were given

Can I play this on Wii U, Vita or 3DS in Europe?

That Scram Kitty looked more interesting than it's name btw

Scram Kitty is terrific. And I don't know about Vita, but since I give many fucks when you ask: no Wii U or 3DS in EU...yet.

Two questions:

1) How do I unlock new characters/modes? I'm at 4-3 right now with 4 golden skulls...I assume it's just by collecting more golden skulls?

2) What actually happens when you lose all your lives? They won't make you start all over again...will they?

Two questions:

1) How do I unlock new characters/modes? I'm at 4-3 right now with 4 golden skulls...I assume it's just by collecting more golden skulls?

2) What actually happens when you lose all your lives? They won't make you start all over again...will they?

I wanna say you unlock things by skulls. I unlocked one character, 2 arcade modes and the shop and I have 15 skulls.

Not sure what happens when you lose all your lives but 4-4 is kicking my ass and I'm down to 800+ so I'll be at 0 any minute, lol

Seriously fuck 4-3. I have died 132 times by now.

I feel your pain. Placing those spikes at the exit is too evil.

I'm really enjoying the game. It's giving me the same frustration/satisfaction that super meat boy gave me. I love that type of challenge. Feels perfect on the 3DS.

I wasn't aware that this version was the only one that had highlighted objects but it doesn't really make the game any less easier.

Tons of things to unlock. I could only hope for a super meat boy sequel but so far, this game is the closest to it and I couldn't be happier.

Really tempted to pick this up... how easy is it to pick up for a few minutes and put down for a bit?

Game design-wise, very easy. Levels are technically short and saving is automatic

Gameplay-wise, very hard to put down. I keep going to play it for "a few minutes" and then playing for an hour because I can't beat the stupid level because of those goddamn blocks right at the-WHY IS THERE A SPIKE THERE?!

Game design-wise, very easy. Levels are technically short and saving is automatic

Gameplay-wise, very hard to put down. I keep going to play it for "a few minutes" and then playing for an hour because I can't beat the stupid level because of those goddamn blocks right at the-WHY IS THERE A SPIKE THERE?!
Lol sounds good to me.

This game sounds great but the $15 price is putting me off just a bit. I'm not one to normally bitch about that, but it feels like we've had an awful lot of really solid retro-inspired 2D platformers the last few years and I really need something that screams "this is different" to me in order to pull the trigger.

Bought for PS4 & Vita. Looks fine on a 70" TV but does not have cross-save for some reason. I'd probably recommend this at $9.99. I like it but it's a little tedious on the more difficult levels. You cannot play as reactively or creatively as you can on Spelunky--you just have to memorize the traps and spike placements.

Murrah

Banned
Just bought and played through first three worlds on Wii U (and played through the first world again as Commander Video until game hard locked on me at the exit to world 2), and it's pretty cool, though not really what I expected; it's definitely more of a puzzle platformer than anything. I'd compare it more to Donkey Kong '94/Mario vs Donkey Kong than Spelunky or Meat Boy (though way, way harder than either of the DK games of course), with a La-Mulana aesthetic.

If I had known it was more puzzle oriented I definitely would've picked it up on my 3DS or Vita instead, but for the 10.01 discount price I can't complain much at all.

Is the game due out on the Vita in Europe this week? I didn't see it in this weeks update but I was looking forward to giving it a try.

BooJoh

Two questions:

Unlock characters with skulls I'm pretty sure. I had a character or two unlocked by the time I got to world 3 because I'd collected 15 or so skulls. There are also a couple that unlock
for arcade mode only through items bought at the shop.

Apparently the developer has said that "something special" happens when you lose all 1001 lives but that they don't expect many players to actually see it.

RM8

I was expecting this to be what I wanted La-Mulana to be, but it's basically a puzzle platformer. AKA one of my favorite kinds of platformers, with great music and high difficulty. So I'm enjoying this a ton :p

Apparently the developer has said that "something special" happens when you loose all 1001 lives but that they don't expect many players to actually see it.

Hmm...assuming it takes 2 seconds a life, it should only take around 30 minutes to grind down and see what happens...

Apparently the developer has said that "something special" happens when you lose all 1001 lives but that they don't expect many players to actually see it.

I'll take one for the team and do this when I get home.

Edit: So when I got home, I was already down to 780 lives (thanks to 4-3 and 4-4) so I'm already in a good spot.

The quickest way to die is by choosing "retry stage". Probably takes a second or 2 depending on how fast you can press start and choose it.

When I'm away from my 2DS, I'll load up 4-3 and let the game auto play and die. In this stage, you begin on a block that crumbles automatically and you'll fall into spikes. This process from beginning to end takes about 5 seconds.

At the moment, I'm down to 407 lives. Almost there! I'll probably take a video/screenshots when I'm down to 1 life.

Lucent

I'll take one for the team and do this when I get home.

Edit: So when I got home, I was already down to 780 lives (thanks to 4-3 and 4-4) so I'm already in a good spot.

The quickest way to die is by choosing "retry stage". Probably takes a second or 2 depending on how fast you can press start and choose it.

When I'm away from my 2DS, I'll load up 4-3 and let the game auto play and die. In this stage, you begin on a block that crumbles automatically and you'll fall into spikes. This process from beginning to end takes about 5 seconds.

At the moment, I'm down to 407 lives. Almost there! I'll probably take a video/screenshots when I'm down to 1 life.

Looking forward to it. Your sacrifice will be known to all. RIP

Actually raises a good question? Why does retry kill you, but quitting to the world map does not?

Actually the map seems a little glitched too. If you do things in the right order, you are not limited as much in level choice when changing character.

This game sounds great but the $15 price is putting me off just a bit. I'm not one to normally bitch about that, but it feels like we've had an awful lot of really solid retro-inspired 2D platformers the last few years and I really need something that screams "this is different" to me in order to pull the trigger.

There is a huge amount of content in the game for the price and you will constantly be surprised as you think you are running out of it.

... Seriously. This game! ...

If you enjoy the style, it is a great pickup for the price.

Lucent

Can you guys explain the MP please?

The trailer doesn't really tell me much

I can't really say much about it because I have no extra controllers. But it seems like it's mostly in the side games and about competing for coins and stuff. One of the extra games seems to be about trying to simply grab a gold pot that keeps shooting out coins when you hit it or throw it against stuff and there are traps everywhere but it's in limited play areas. Another game is set in towers that you keep climbing up and avoiding traps, killing monsters, and grabbing treasure along the way. Seems you gotta get to the end in one sitting because there doesn't seem to be a way to save. The last extra game is called Lost Levels or something and it seems like they are just extra levels like the story mode but you only have 101 lives instead of 1001. Haven't played much of those but fun extras.

Camjo-Z

You can also play MP in Story Mode too, everybody shares the same pool of lives and if someone dies they don't respawn until the level ends or everybody else dies.

I'm actually enjoying the Tower and Lost Levels arcade modes more than the main game, they're more the kind of difficulty I was expecting.

Ok...so...lost all my lives and this is the screen they show afterwards:

But I notice that from now on, I only have 2 or 3 lives, lol.

Didn't unlock anything though :( If there's something else, I haven't come across it.

Lucent

Ok...so...lost all my lives and this is the screen they show afterwards:

But I notice that from now on, I only have 2 lives, lol.

Didn't unlock anything though :( If there's something else, I haven't come across it.

Aw. That's not a very good surprise or whatever. =/

So I wanted to try something...

I went to 3-6 (you could go to any x-6 level for this), and when you first beat this level, at the end you collect an item that gives you 50 lives. If you visit it after you beat it, you'll lose 1 life when you collect that item.

I went to this stage when I had 0 lives...I collected the item and now:

My lives are in the negatives! Now each time I die, it'll go -2, -3, -4....

Did I just break the system? Why have 1001 lives when I could have -3000? lol. I can't get a "game over" anymore I'm assuming. Maybe if I reach 4-6 with -49 lives and there's another +50 lives to collect, it'll go back to normal?

As for anything new in the shop, nope.

Spade

What the... That's beautiful man. Get to -1001 for us!

Antarctica is crazy by the way for anybody wondering. Taking a break at 9-1 for now.

Top Bottom