• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11 out of 15 Sony studios have not officially announced what they are working on

LakeOf9

Asobi: Astro Bot
Bend Studio: -
Bluepoint: -
Firesprite: -
Firewalk: Concord
Guerrilla: -
Haven: FairGame$
Housemarque: -
Insomniac: Wolverine
Media Molecule: -
Naughty Dog: -
Polyphony: - [likely Gran Turismo 8]
San Diego Studio: - [likely MLB The Show 25]
Santa Monica Studio: -
Sucker Punch: -

Excluded the support studios xDev, Nixxes, and Valkyrie Entertainment, and the mobile studio Neon Koi. Also didn't list Lego Horizon for Guerrilla since this is more a cooperation with Studio Gobo, rather than what their main dev team is working on.

This is thanks to Red Kong XIX on the purple forum. But I think this is numbers based confirmation of what we’ve been saying for a while only to get Sony fanboys shout us down - Sony has not announced any major new games for the PS5, even though this generation is half done. Of course, COVID played a huge role in that, as did some struggles with live service games as well, but this is where we are as a result. Do you think Sony will fix their pipeline enough for the remainder of this Gen?

nial

Another day, another PlayStation Studios thread.
-Guerrilla released a game 2 years and 4 months ago.
-Bluepoint is not a game developer.
-Firesprite released a game 1 year and 4 months ago.
-Housemarque released a game 3 years and 2 months ago.
-Polyphony Digital released a game 2 years and 3 months ago.
-SIE San Diego Studio... come on.
-SIE Santa Monica Studio released a game 1 year and 7 months ago.
And this is coming from a company that is publishing games like Astro Bot and LEGO Horizon just 3-5 months after their announcement.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
w=360

solidus12

Remaster Remaster Remake Remaster Sequal remaster remake remaster rinse repeat 2/3 wil launch on ps6 launching more remasters
Sequal?

Isn’t it called sequel? English is my fourth language, so I might be wrong.

Last edited:

adamsapple

People have been saying the same about Microsoft Game Studios. Wasn't their showcase filled with games announced 3+ years ago with others being 2+ years out? Can't wait to see another State of Decay 3 trailer after it was announced 4 years ago.

um .. ok ?

Not sure what #MicrosoftToo has to do with this. This is a topic about Sony's first party studios.

Hi nial

FYI, Bluepoint Games is a developer. I don't know why you don't think they are one.

Zannegan

That's a good thing, no? With that many studios hard at work, you might end up with a decent stream of first party titles throughout the next few years. I'm fine with Sony choosing when to announce projects, it's not having anything worthwhile to announce that would worry me.

Crayon

They'd be doing a lot better if they teased their big games for four or five years before coming out. Then they'd always have a bunch of games coming.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It is known. their big studios fucked themselves by releasing cross gen games in 2022. No one counts those as PS5 titles no matter what people here try and pretend.

If PD, SSM, GG had released next gen only genre defining titles with Matrix quality visuals and next gen gameplay like they did last gen, no one would be making threads like this.

Third party moneyhats like stellar blade, rise of ronin, deathloop, ghostwire, forspoken are not games PS fans bought PS5s for. We like Sony studios games precisely because they were next gen showpieces way beyond what third parties were doing. now they focus on quantity over quality. horizon is 100 hours. gow is 60 hours. gt7 finally has a campaign.

No, we want smaller games that push the bar both in terms of visuals and gamplay. Its insane how even astrobot took 4 years to make and they didnt bother upgrading graphics from the free pack-in. Fucking horizon legos looks better. I really dont understand the fascination with quantity over quality. thats literally not the point of first party studios. thats ubisoft mentality. make games smaller so you can release them faster. its not that hard.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't think even Cerny knows.
His guess is they're choosing to make Big massive games.

MLSabre

I don't see the point of announcing something that isn't close to being done. Then you go from anger for not announcing to anger for not releasing. When they have something close to being done, they're going to announce it like Astrobot. Personally I prefer this approach to seeing CGI trailers for years.
People just want to get drunk off hype.

As for me, if you got nothing that gets released within 6-12 month I don't want to hear or even know of its existence. So, ditto.

Perrott

That actually speaks positively of them and all the moves they've pulled to make up for the fact that some of their most celebrated studios and creatives are still taking their time, working on their unannounced games.

With PS5 sales currently around a million or so behind PS4 - following a worldwide pandemic, semiconductor shortages and, according to some of you, no games - now imagine how insane they'll be once the platform starts, again according to some of you, "to get some games".

nial

Hi nial

FYI, Bluepoint Games is a developer. I don't know why you don't think they are one.
I've already discussed a lot the development of Demon's Souls 2020, and how it was made under the direction of Japan Studio (particularly by Gavin Moore, director of Puppeteer).
Furthermore, SIE already confirmed this by categorizing Bluepoint as a 'partner studio' (read 'support studio').
wXoM2mJ.jpeg

adamsapple

I've already discussed a lot the development of Demon's Souls 2020, and how it was made under the direction of Japan Studio (particularly by Gavin Moore, director of Puppeteer).
Furthermore, SIE already confirmed this by categorizing Bluepoint as a 'partner studio' (read 'support studio').

Ok .. but we don't know what game they're supporting on next, either.

Regardless, they have developed full games, be under someone elses supervision as it may be. They're a developer in that sense even if the next game they're making is a remake.

And haven' t they been working on a supposed new IP for at least 2, 3 years or more now?

edit: L LakeOf9 got it.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

wXoM2mJ.jpeg
From June 20 2024:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

LakeOf9

It's still impossible to tell what that even means. Basically anything but a remake would qualify. It could be support work for God of War Ragnarok-2. It could be a new IP of their own creation. No idea.
Whatever it is, it is a project they are working on that people would want to know about, so dismissing them from any discussion about what PS Studios are up to seems silly imho

nial

Ok .. but we don't know what game they're supporting on next, either.
Most likely on more PS Studios America games, like the next God of War title.
Regardless, they have developed full games, be under someone elses supervision as it may be. They're a developer in that sense even if the next game they're making is a remake.

And haven' t they been working on a supposed new IP for at least 2, 3 years or more now?

edit: @LakeOf9 got it.
From June 20 2024:

Whatever it is, it is a project they are working on that people would want to know about, so dismissing them from any discussion about what PS Studios are up to seems silly imho
My take on the topic.
They really to be more clear, I have no doubt that they're somewhat working on an original project, and slowly hiring designers and all, but that will take A LOT of time, and yet you have people believing that Bluepoint could have a project ready to be released soon.
The thing with Bluepoint is that they mainly consist of artists and engineers, there are so few actual designers on their team that it's not really feasible for them to develop a new game by their own. Heck, their attributions to SOTC/DS remakes still had to be done under the direction of WWS Japan Studio PDD/IDD.
I just think people are expecting too much from Bluepoint, which must be why SIE went on to lower expectations by including them into the support studios category.
Plus, didn't that ERA poster say this?
Excluded the support studios xDev, Nixxes, and Valkyrie Entertainment
Why would you include Bluepoint, if by SIE's own information, they're also part of that category?
Didb't he also decide to not include LEGO Horizon Adventures as a contribution from Guerrilla due to it being mainly developed by another studio?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Glad we got Astro coming but this is starting to feel like a drip feed cycle. I think we should know the lineup that is coming in 2025 at the very least at this point. No way I think that is too far out. Hopefully we get a proper showcase later this year but I recall saying this last year as well.

Simple fact of the matter for me is I can't remember the last time I had this much apathy towards PlayStation. Making an effort to promote excitement for your brand shouldn't be this hard.

Camreezie

I don't see the point of announcing something that isn't close to being done. Then you go from anger for not announcing to anger for not releasing. When they have something close to being done, they're going to announce it like Astrobot. Personally I prefer this approach to seeing CGI trailers for years.
These studios arent close to being done with these projects after 5 years?

vivftp

There is nothing broken with their pipeline, what's broken is some peoples understanding of what SIE is doing. Anyways, since this is just a re-post of the thread on Era, I might as well just cross-post to put things into a better perspective. I'll quote a few different segments that you can expand if you want:

Breakdown of each studio, when they released their last game and when we can reasonably expect to see their next project:

Might as well re-post this breakdown I made a week or two ago:

Bored at work, so just pondering further about each studio and their timeline on the next game release. Using an average of 5-6 years for AAA game development here's where I am guessing they stand...

Naughty Dog - last original game release was June 2020. The new IP under Neil would've gone into pre-production around this time. They were also doing pre-production on TLOU Online, but they stopped dev on that. That means we're currently at the 4 year mark from the start of pre-production to today on their next original project. Based off of average turnaround time for most AAA games, it's likely this game would ship either in 2025 or 2026.

Santa Monica Studios - last original game release was November 2022. We also know that a new game under Cory is being made, and the last game shipped under Cory was released in April 2018. We don't know precisely when pre-production would have started, but it could be upwards of 6 years. Based on average AAA turnaround times, this game very well could release next year

Sucker Punch - last original game release was July 2020, with an original expansion released August 2021. It's all but certain that they're working on Ghost of Tsushima 2 and based on average AAA turnaround times this game could release either in 2025 or 2026

Guerrilla Games - last original game release was February 2022, with an original expansion released April 2023. It is highly speculated that there is a Horizon Online game in the works under Simon Larouche. Rumor has it this game could've been in development as early as 2018, which would put us around the 6 year mark now. Based on average AAA turnaround times this game could release next year

Insomniac Games - last original release was October 2023. We know they are working on a Wolverine game that was revealed to the world in late 2021 where it was said to be in very early development. That puts it at 3+ years, so based off of average AAA turnaround times this game could release in 2025 or 2026. It's also within the realm of possibility that a Spider-Man 2 DLC could show up around the 1 year anniversary of Spider-Man 2, if they follow the pattern of many other SIE studios with their tentpole releases.

Bend Studios - last original release was April 2019. We know based off reports that up until early 2021 Bend was working with Naughty Dog on a new Uncharted game, and then they asked to work on their own original project. That puts us at 3+ years for development, and we have no way of knowing how much pre-production was done prior to the studio going full steam ahead on this new IP. If we use the Days Gone release as the upper limit, this game could have been in development anywhere between 3.5 to 5 years. Based on average AAA turnaround times, this game could release 2025 or 2026

Housemarque Studios - last original release was April 2021 with a DLC released March 2022. We know the studio is working on a new IP so based off of average AAA turnaround times this game could release around 2026

Haven Studios - working on their first game, the studio was formed March 2021. Based on average turnaround time this game could release around 2026

Bluepoint - last original release was November 2020. Said to be working on an original title, this game could release in 2025 or 2026

Firewalk - first title releases this August

Media Molecule - last original release was February 2020, with some smaller releases within Dreams. We know they were supporting Dreams and in April 2023 they announced plans to end support for Dreams. We don't know specifically when development began on their next title and how much pre-production work might have been done prior to this announcement so that window could be anywhere been 1 to 4.5 years. This title could release anytime in the next 4 or so years.

Firesprite - last original release was February 2023. It has been said they were working on the Twisted Metal game that was moved over to them, but this game was cancelled around February 2024. It seems they're working on another game that's a dark horror narrative title, and that's been in development since at least September 2021. Based on average turnaround times, this game could release around 2026

Polyphony - last original release was March 2022. Based on average turnaround time, their next title could release around 2027

San Diego Studios - annual release of MLB, so their next title will release next year

Team Asobi - their next title releases this September

Neon Koi - Sony acquired them in August 2022. We have no frame of reference to guess when their title might release

Bungie - last original release was June 2024. They have announced their next title to be Marathon, and this game could release either in 2025 or 2026.

Then beyond that we have the apparent secret team under Jason Blundell, possibly working on the original IP that Deviation was previously working on. Far too many unknowns here to try and guess when their title might release.

By my count that's a potential of upwards of 14 SIE studios that could have an original title ready to release within the next couple of years. Then stack the mountain of XDEV studios on top of that.

What's my point? We gonna be eating REAL good. I keep saying it, but the latter half of this gen is gonna be defined by one word - DENSE.

Why isn't Sony announcing the bulk of their lineup multiple years out like they did in 2016?

Sony is trending towards a shorter window from announce to reveal. Even if a game gets announced well in advance, it has been with a short teaser and the proper reveal comes a few months before launch. Studios should announce games when THEY are ready, no sooner. The job of the platform holder is to provide their customers with a large variety of steady, quality content and that's precisely what SIE is doing. What good is it to announce games multiple years out and put undue pressure on the devs? We have statements from folks like Neil Druckmann and Raf Grassetti telling us how early announcements can add stress on the devs, and take away resources from the actual development of the game such as time, manpower and budget.

Link to post/video detailing statements from Raf:

Link to article on Neils statements:

What does vivftp think the overall lineup looks like between now and the end of 2029?

Ok, current list of how I think the rest of the gen could play out. It's not factoring in any data from the Insomniac hack and just goes with what I already had. This is announced content, leaked, rumored, deduced, speculated and includes console exclusives. This is based on the guess that this gen will go until holiday 2028, and it also encompasses an additional 1 year cross-gen period, so up until holiday 2029. This list is what I think will on the lower end of things and in fact there will be FAR FAR FAR more content in reality, but I gotta start somewhere! Before I was breaking it down by year just to spread things out, but fuckit, I'm just going with the Great List of Viv
(feel free to let me know what's missing)

Concord
Little Devil Inside
Baby Steps
Wuthering Waves
Astro Bot
Neon Koi's game
Spider-Man 2 DLC
Lost Soul Aside
Sword of the Sea
Convallaria
Phantom Blade 0
Lego Horizon Adventure
Death Stranding 2 On The Beach
Jason Blundell's game
Matter
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Until Dawn PS5/PC
Project Mugen
ULTROS
AI Limit
Wolverine
DokeV
Crimson Desert
Zenless Zone Zero
MLB25
Marathon
Neil Druckmanns game (new IP)
Fairgame$
Bluepoints game
Horizon Online game (Guerrilla games)
Horizon MMORPG (NCSoft)
Cory Barlogs game (new IP)
Destiny 2 post-The Final Shape content
Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster
One of the two game-type metaverse titles Jim Ryan mentioned
Bloodborne PS5/PC
Meteora: The Race Against Space Time
Fishbowl
Mukti
Requital: Gates of Blood
Suri: The Seventh Note
Spider-Man smaller title ala Miles Morales (probably Venom)
MLB26
Ghost of Tsushima 2
Housemarque new IP
Gravity Rush Collection PS5/PC
LEGO Horizon Adventure 2 (Forbidden West)
Jak & Daxter remaster/remake of some sort (assuming there is a movie)
Media Molecules next game
Uncharted (ND/VASG collab)
KOTOR
Bend new IP
Gran Turismo 8
Dark Narrative from Firesprite
Horizon 3
Final Fantasy 7 part 3
Ember Lab XDEV game
Sumo Digital game
God of War next mainline entry
MLB27
Havens next game after Fairgame$
Ratchet & Clank sequel to Rift Apart
From Software XDEV game
Ghost of Tsushima Legends 2
Team Asobi game (another one)
Ballistic Moon game
MLB28
Project Ooze
One of the two game-type metaverse titles Jim Ryan mentioned
Project Awakening
TLOU Part 3
Spider-Man 3
MLB29
Physint

Did the "evil live service games" ruin SIEs output? No!

Their live service games consist of:

Released:

- Helldivers 2 which released this year to great success
- Destiny 2 The Final Shape which released this year to great success
- MLB24 which is an annual release that's bigger now than it ever has been

Upcoming:

- Marathon being made by Bungie
- Matter and/or Project Gummy Bear being made by Bungie
- MAYBE Destiny 3 being made by Bungie
- Fairgame$ being made by a new studio, Haven
- Horizon Online being made by Guerrilla
- Horizon MMORPG being made by NCSoft
- Concord being made by a new studio, Firewalk
- Neon Koi's mobile game

Cancelled:

- The Last of Us Online by Naughty Dog
- Twisted Metal originally being made by Lucid and was moved to Firesprite, game was not greenlit as per Jason Schrier, so it didn't even make it into full production
- London Studios fantasy game which was cancelled when the studio was shut dow
- Maybe we can include the live service Spider-Man game that Insomniac was tinkering with? But I don't even know how far that really got. I've seen someone say it was not greenlit, so it didn't make it into full production
- Deviation games had their game cancelled, but there is a high probability that this game was moved internally to a new secret studio under Jason Blundell as we know he's working at SIE and a lot of former Deviation employees are working with him.

Is TLOU Online the reason we haven't gotten a game from Naughty Dog this gen yet?

Even if TLOU Online never existed, we wouldn't have gotten a new game from ND by now. We know that TLOU2 was an all hands on deck situation and they were not able to do their normal pre-production work ahead of time before it launched. Under normal circumstances they would've been able to jump from TLOU Part 2 to the next game relatively quickly, but since there was no pre-production work done that upset the entire flow. That means that concepting and pre-production began in 2020, and from that point it's typically around 5 years for a game to ship.

What TLOU Online (and the smaller remaster/remake projects) did do is allow Naughty Dog to break the cycle of layoffs between major projects and to get their tech and employees updated for the current gen so they'd be able to work out the glitches on those smaller projects instead of working them out while in the middle of dev on a big new project.

So no, TLOU Online was by no means a "waste", it still helped Naughty Dog and didn't stand in the way of us getting another new game at all. Plus of course the knowledge and lessons they learned during the pre-production of TLOU Online can be carried forward into future projects.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I'd bet Ghost 2 is not close.
The Last of Us 3 is not close.
Horizon 3 is not close.
Housemarque, maybe something small.
Sony Santa Monica, maybe the new IP. Big maybe.
Media Molecule, no idea.
Bend, no idea. If they were working on Factions or other support stuff, might be a ways out.
Haven, probably getting close with FairGames.
Insomniac, Venom probably getting close.

JaksGhost

Who knows. I don't think Astro Bot was on anyone's radar until a couple of months ago with the leak and even than did anyone see it being released 3 months after announcement? Same goes for Lego Horizon Adventures under Guerrilla. They're very much taking the more Nintendo route this era.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Almost like Apple level of secrecy.
? Apple has an event every single year. Literally the same month. Their fans arent left in the dark waiting year after year to see what they have got going on.

Sony has skipped E3 showcases four times since 2019. They had one last year and one in 2020. The rest of the time they have these random state of plays with B tier crap from third parties no one wants to play.

Top Bottom