• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11 out of 15 Sony studios have not officially announced what they are working on

Neilg

It's still impossible to tell what that even means. Basically anything but a remake would qualify. It could be support work for God of War Ragnarok-2. It could be a new IP of their own creation. No idea.
It's their own game.
The ONLY thing I know about it too, is that I heard from someone there that if an artist applies right now (this was 18-24 months ago) and has some incredible office interior portfolio work it's pretty much an instant hire.
That little clue has driven me mad and I haven't been able to coax any more info out. But there's a modern office interior in it, whatever it is.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why isn't Sony announcing the bulk of their lineup multiple years out like they did in 2016?

Sony is trending towards a shorter window from announce to reveal. Even if a game gets announced well in advance, it has been with a short teaser and the proper reveal comes a few months before launch. Studios should announce games when THEY are ready, no sooner.

They announced Marathon and Fairgame$ that are still quite a way out. Had no issue announcing PhysInt with Kojima even though that’s years and years away.

I think it’s less about ‘trending away’ from such announcements and saving them for a massive blowout show with the PS5 Pro. It’s not like they’re under any real pressure since the Xbox Series have cratered in sales.

They’ll have major reveals when the Pro event shows up in Q3.

Last edited:

vivftp

They announced Marathon and Fairgame$ that are still quite a way out. Had no issue announcing PhysInt with Kojima even though that’s years and years away.

I think it’s less about ‘trending away’ from such announcements and saving them for a massive blowout show with the PS5 Pro. It’s not like they’re under any real pressure since the Xbox Series have cratered in sales.

They’ll have major reveals when the Pro event shows up in Q3.

Marathon and Fairgame$ got teasers, the games won't get a proper reveal until much closer to launch. Look at how it played out with Spider-Man 2, a teaser in 2021 (likely due to Marvel mandating early announcements) and radio silence until May 2023 where we got the lengthy gameplay footage, only 5 months before launch. Teasers might come out early, but the actual proper reveals of the games come much closer to launch. Concord got teased last year, but didn't get a proper reveal until 4 months away from launch

King Dazzar

Glad we got Astro coming but this is starting to feel like a drip feed cycle. I think we should know the lineup that is coming in 2025 at the very least at this point. No way I think that is too far out. Hopefully we get a proper showcase later this year but I recall saying this last year as well.

Simple fact of the matter for me is I can't remember the last time I had this much apathy towards PlayStation. Making an effort to promote excitement for your brand shouldn't be this hard.
I agree. At the moment I've got a thirst and it isn't being quenched. Problem is even worse for me, as I'm not even excited for Astro anymore after trying Playroom recently. It's just not my thing.

However, I am still excited for the Pro - I just dont know if it will be lots of revisiting Pro patched games or new ones. Regardless, the Pro will likely change things up in general for me. I've missed out on quite a few games due to technical short comings, so I hope with the Pro, at least moving forward I have a healthier list.

Topher

Gold Member
I agree. At the moment I've got a thirst and it isn't being quenched. Problem is even worse for me, as I'm not even excited for Astro anymore after trying Playroom recently. It's just not my thing.

However, I am still excited for the Pro - I just dont know if it will be lots of revisiting Pro patched games or new ones. Regardless, the Pro will likely change things up in general for me. I've missed out on quite a few games due to technical short comings, so I hope with the Pro, at least moving forward I have a healthier list.

I would be more excited about the Pro if we had a showcase already showing what was coming for PlayStation. I love Astro, but it isn't enough for me to reinvest in PlayStation at this point. I can't imagine Sony will launch PS5 Pro without showing some new games. But I didn't imagine being shown only one new game from first party these last few years either. Really hate having such a cynical attitude about PlayStation. Just show me some damn games.

Last edited:

yurinka

This is thanks to Red Kong XIX on the purple forum. But I think this is numbers based confirmation of what we’ve been saying for a while only to get Sony fanboys shout us down - Sony has not announced any major new games for the PS5, even though this generation is half done. Of course, COVID played a huge role in that, as did some struggles with live service games as well, but this is where we are as a result. Do you think Sony will fix their pipeline enough for the remainder of this Gen?

Bend Studio: Mentioned to be working on an open world new IP that uses many things from Days Gone
Bluepoint: Mentioned to be a partner studio and don't have the team needed to lead their on AAA game, so are working again as a support team as they did in GoWR
Firesprite: Mentioned to be working on a horror adventure and in a multiplayer game that features on foot and car combat
Guerrilla: Announced to be working on Lego Horizon, Horizon Online and Horizon 3
Housemarque: Mentioned to be working on a AAA game more ambitious than Returnal
Media Molecule: Mentioned to be working on a game not related with the Dreams IP
Naughty Dog: Mentioned to be working on multiple single player games
Santa Monica Studio: Mentioned to be working on "multiple things", one of them being a new GoW set in a new mythology
Sucker Punch: Hinted to be working on GoT2 multiple times even if never said it directly

But I didn't imagine being shown only one new game from first party studios since 2021 either these last couple of years. Really hate having such a cynical attitude about PlayStation. Just show me some damn games.
It isn't only cynical, it's flatearthical. Sony announced, shown and released a lot of 1st, 2nd and 3rd party exclusive -and multiplatform- games since 2021.

I can't imagine Sony will launch PS5 Pro without showing some new games.
It's an expensive mid gen refresh that plays the same game than the base PS5 but better which only a very small portion of their users will buy. So pretty likely won't put a lot of effort in the announcement.

They don't need to announce games with the console to showcase it. If something may show a comparision of already announced or released games to explain the improvements.

In the announcement the spotlight must be on the console, to announce games the same day would potentially overshadow it, the games better be announced when each game is ready.

Almost like Apple level of secrecy.
? Apple has an event every single year. Literally the same month. Their fans arent left in the dark waiting year after year to see what they have got going on.

Sony has skipped E3 showcases four times since 2019. They had one last year and one in 2020. The rest of the time they have these random state of plays with B tier crap from third parties no one wants to play.
Sony communicates their stuff way more frequently than Apple: Sony has multiple State of Plays every year, plus from time to time Showcases and also announces stuff randomly in their blog and social media.

As said before, Sony has announced, shown and released many 1st, 2nd and 3rd party exclusives and multiplatform games in the recent years. Plus also many accesories, hardware revisions, service or OS improvements, etc.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It isn't only cynical, it's flatearthical. Sony announced, shown and released a lot of games since 2021.

Flatearthical. That's cute. I'm talking about first party single player games. Nothing "flatearthical" about that.

King Dazzar

I would be more excited about the Pro if we had a showcase already showing what was coming for PlayStation. I love Astro, but it isn't enough for me to reinvest in PlayStation at this point. I can't imagine Sony will launch PS5 Pro without showing some new games. But I didn't imagine being shown only one new game from first party these last few years either. Really hate having such a cynical attitude about PlayStation. Just show me some damn games.
So do you not still have a PS5? I wouldn't mind getting excited for Stalker, but I just cant bring myself to reinvest into Xbox when the future looks like thick fog hardware wise. But I think I'll be fine with PlayStation - its just a dry patch. Still, that doesn't get us away from your point - they could be doing far better with letting us know what's brewing. I'm hopeful for Pro's launch though. I think if nothing gets us going for that, then there's a more serious case for concern.

Topher

Gold Member
So do you not still have a PS5? I wouldn't mind getting excited for Stalker, but I just cant bring myself to reinvest into Xbox when the future looks like thick fog hardware wise. But I think I'll be fine with PlayStation - its just a dry patch. Still, that doesn't get us away from your point - they could be doing far better with letting us know what's brewing. I'm hopeful for Pro's launch though. I think if nothing gets us going for that, then there's a more serious case for concern.

No, I sold my PS5 a couple of months ago in anticipation of the Pro being released this fall. Since there was nothing on the radar for PS5 then didn't seem to be any reason to wait.

Yeah....there are plenty of games to play so you shouldn't have any problem finding stuff for PS. I game primarily on PC, but I love PS first party single player. That's the reason I'm a PS fan.

What I'm hoping for is that the end of this generation ends like the end of last where we had parade of games starting with Horizon Zero Dow to God of War to Spider-man all the way to Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU P2. Those few years were a blast on PlayStation. I didn't mind knowing how far out the games were. Just knowing they were coming kept me excited. I just don't like this new strategy of keeping folks in the dark at all. What's coming out next year? No idea.

yurinka

Flatearthical. That's cute. I'm talking about first party single player games. Nothing "flatearthical" about that.
Yes, since 2021 they announced, shown or released (if you cherry pick to first party and single player) games like Returnal, Ratchet Rift Apart, GoWR, Horizon Forbidden West, Spider-Man 2, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Astro Bot, Death Stranding 2 or Wolverine.

They, like the multiplayer, and 3rd party exclusives -plus multiplatform with marketing deals, hardware, accesories, services etc- had to be marketed. So didn't make sense to market instead -with a handful exceptions- games to be released several years later.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yes, since 2021 they announced, shown or released (if you cherry pick to first party and single player) games like Spider-Man 2, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Astro Bot, Death Stranding 2 or Wolverine.

That's fine, but when I talk about first party I'm talking about their studios like Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, etc. I game primarily on PC and those are the games I buy PlayStation for.

Like I said above, I don't see any reason whatsoever that we don't know what first party studios have on tap for 2025.

People have been saying the same about Microsoft Game Studios. Wasn't their showcase filled with games announced 3+ years ago with others being 2+ years out? Can't wait to see another State of Decay 3 trailer even though it was announced 4 years ago.
It's not much of a point if the only defence you have is b-b-b-but MICROSOFT

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Bend Studio: Mentioned to be working on an open world new IP that uses many things from Days Gone
Bluepoint: Mentioned to be a partner studio and don't have the team needed to lead their on AAA game, so are working again as a support team as they did in GoWR
Firesprite: Mentioned to be working on a horror adventure and in a multiplayer game that features on foot and car combat
Guerrilla: Announced to be working on Lego Horizon, Horizon Online and Horizon 3
Housemarque: Mentioned to be working on a AAA game more ambitious than Returnal
Media Molecule: Mentioned to be working on a game not related with the Dreams IP
Naughty Dog: Mentioned to be working on multiple single player games
Santa Monica Studio: Mentioned to be working on "multiple things", one of them being a new GoW set in a new mythology
Sucker Punch: Hinted to be working on GoT2 multiple times even if never said it directly

Again, would be nice if some of these were named quantities.

nial

BTW, looking at it this way (and I've said this several times already); 9 out of their 14 console studios have released an original project on PS5 thus far (or until September). Some of them even more than one.
I still don't get where all the bitching is coming from when we already have games from Guerrilla, Insomniac, SMS, Polyphony Digital, Team Asobi, etc.
And the worst part is that no one here will be able to give me a well elaborated response.

Ozriel

M$FT
Marathon and Fairgame$ got teasers, the games won't get a proper reveal until much closer to launch. Look at how it played out with Spider-Man 2, a teaser in 2021 (likely due to Marvel mandating early announcements) and radio silence until May 2023 where we got the lengthy gameplay footage, only 5 months before launch. Teasers might come out early, but the actual proper reveals of the games come much closer to launch. Concord got teased last year, but didn't get a proper reveal until 4 months away from launch

A ‘teaser’ that reveals a new project…is called a ‘reveal’. Not sure why you’re trying to change definitions here.

You can have ‘gameplay reveals’ or ‘story reveal’ as new stuff, basically showing off gameplay or lore for the first time in an announced title.

These games got announced years before release. And that’s perfectly fine.

It's an expensive mid gen refresh that plays the same game than the base PS5 but better which only a very small portion of their users will buy. So pretty likely won't put a lot of effort in the announcement.

They don't need to announce games with the console to showcase it. If something may show a comparision of already announced or released games to explain the improvements.

In the announcement the spotlight must be on the console, to announce games the same day would potentially overshadow it, the games better be announced when each game is ready.

Nah, this is well off the mark. While the standard PS5 will for sure be the sales leader, it’s incorrect to say the target audience is a ‘very small portion’ of their fanbase.
And for sure they’ll use AAA titles to showcase the added features to sell the consoles. They touted Pro support for the then upcoming GT Sport, Days Gone and Horizon Zero Dawn at the PS4 Pro reveal, for example.

Last edited:
I don't see the point of announcing something that isn't close to being done. Then you go from anger for not announcing to anger for not releasing. When they have something close to being done, they're going to announce it like Astrobot. Personally I prefer this approach to seeing CGI trailers for years.
11 out of 15 Sony first party studios are not close to being done with their next games. Does that sound better?

vivftp

A ‘teaser’ that reveals a new project…is called a ‘reveal’. Not sure why you’re trying to change definitions here.

You can have ‘gameplay reveals’ or ‘story reveal’ as new stuff, basically showing off gameplay or lore for the first time in an announced title.

These games got announced years before release. And that’s perfectly fine.

Point is that the proper reveals of those games occurred only a few months away from launch. Yes a teaser occurred earlier in those instances, but this was a very different scenario from last gen where reveals occurred much earlier and every year we got new trailers for the same games over and over and over. There could be any numbers of reasons why those teasers were shown early, but the trend is still Sony doing a proper reveal of the game much closer to launch. That's the trend I'm referring to, and why there shouldn't be much problem for them to do a shorter reveal to release window for upcoming games.

We also have recent games like Astro Bot and LEGO Horizon Adventure to add to the evidence that Sony is preferring to do a shorter announce to release cycle this gen.

bitbydeath

Insomniac hasn’t announced their game due out next year either.

The announcements are coming though.
jurassic park water GIF

nial

11 out of 15 Sony first party studios are not close to being done with their next games. Does that sound better?
That only sounds dire in a hypothetical situation in which this did not happen.
9 out of their 14 console studios have released an original project on PS5 thus far (or until September). Some of them even more than one.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
BTW, looking at it this way (and I've said this several times already); 9 out of their 14 console studios have released an original project on PS5 thus far (or until September). Some of them even more than one.
I still don't get where all the bitching is coming from when we already have games from Guerrilla, Insomniac, SMS, Polyphony Digital, Team Asobi, etc.
And the worst part is that no one here will be able to give me a well elaborated response.

This isn't about games already released. It is about the games to come. I think having a proper showcase at some point this year will go along way to shut up folks like me.

nial

This isn't about games already released. It is about the games to come. I think having a proper showcase at some point this year will go along way to shut up folks like me.
But Sony isn't announcing stuff 3-4 years in advance like before, it's why I find it pointless to complain about Polyphony Digital or Guerrilla not showing anything when their games were only released 2 years ago, we know how development cycles work these days.
And let's be honest, all of this is literally just because of Naughty Dog and probably Sucker Punch, not because of any of their other studios. Threads like these are just a way for people to convince themselves that there is a serious pipeline issue in all of PS Studios or something like that.

Topher

Gold Member
But Sony isn't announcing stuff 3-4 years in advance like before, it's why I find it pointless to complain about Polyphony Digital or Guerrilla not showing anything when their games were only released 2 years ago, we know how development cycles work these days.
And let's be honest, all of this is literally just because of Naughty Dog and probably Sucker Punch, not because of any of their other studios. Threads like these are just a way for people to convince themselves that there is a serious pipeline issue in all of PS Studios or something like that.

I'm not talking about 3-4 years out. I'm talking about 2025. Why can't we get a showcase telling us what to expect next year? Come on.....that's not too much to ask.

Lupin25

Cory Barlog’s game is the one I’m most concerned about. It will be great, but he’s been working on it for 7 years almost. The long dev cycles just suck for those used to getting PS2-3 level output from specific elite level devs (Rockstar, SSM, Sucker Punch, ND, etc).

Plus people leak shit, ruin the surprise and wonder why we get less and less shown from SIE. When you realize that level of fandom, you start to see why some companies treat their IP like Crown Jewels now.

nial

I'm not talking about 3-4 years out. I'm talking about 2025. Why can't we get a showcase telling us what to expect next year? Come on.....that's not too much to ask.
I mean, I'll agree with you if we go through the whole fall season without some news for their 2025 lineup (though I know for sure Death Stranding 2: On the Beach is slated for next year), but don't go expecting it to be all internal output, and then complain when we just get a bunch of XDEV projects again like this year (which are honestly great, and I don't think anyone dismissing them is a true hardcore PlayStation fan).

Topher

Gold Member
I mean, I'll agree with you if we go through the whole fall season without some news for their 2025 lineup (though I know for sure Death Stranding 2: On the Beach is slated for next year), but don't go expecting it to be all internal output, and then complain when we just get a bunch of XDEV projects again like this year (which are honestly great, and I don't think anyone dismissing them is a true hardcore PlayStation fan).

It is pretty typical for even the biggest Sony shows of the past to have a healthy amount of third party including indies so don't see any problem with that.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Another day, another PlayStation Studios thread.
-Guerrilla released a game 2 years and 4 months ago.
-Bluepoint is not a game developer.
-Firesprite released a game 1 year and 4 months ago.
-Housemarque released a game 3 years and 2 months ago.
-Polyphony Digital released a game 2 years and 3 months ago.
-SIE San Diego Studio... come on.
-SIE Santa Monica Studio released a game 1 year and 7 months ago.
And this is coming from a company that is publishing games like Astro Bot and LEGO Horizon just 3-5 months after their announcement.
lol agreed

Sony is no longer seeking to announce games years and years in advance and I'm ok with this.

I don't see how it benefits any established developer anymore and just setup the team to chase a hype they can never fulfill or something

I've already discussed a lot the development of Demon's Souls 2020, and how it was made under the direction of Japan Studio (particularly by Gavin Moore, director of Puppeteer).
Furthermore, SIE already confirmed this by categorizing Bluepoint as a 'partner studio' (read 'support studio').
wXoM2mJ.jpeg

I'm not saying this is wrong, but I don't think this is taking into account the teams changes.

As in they can still partner stuff and still develop a game

Wildebeest

What do people expect? It takes ten years to make a game now, and when it is announced, like three years before release, people are like, "meh, next."

vivftp

You're giving too much credit.

There probably are no games slated for release at said studios.

You're giving too little credit. We know from Sony leadership that they have tentpole releases scheduled to release next FY and also the FY afterwards.

Sony normally reveals first party content at Showcases and they haven't held their Showcase this year as of yet - that's very likely landing in September alongside the Pro reveal. Out of the 4 Showcases they've held since 2020, 2 have been in May/June and 2 have been in September. The fact that they have a Pro console to reveal and are likely to want to show off their next wave of games actually running on Pro hardware makes it very likely a Showcase will occur there.

I can refer back to my first post in this thread, there are a LOT of first party projects that have been in dev for 4, 5 or even 6 years and should release within the next 2 years. Much of that next wave of titles will be shown at their next Showcase. By my count there are upwards of 14 out of 17 PlayStation Studios who could have a release by the end of 2026, so they most certainly do have content to show off.

AmuroChan

Two of those 11 studios are SD and Polyphony. Are people really dying to find out what those two studios are working on? (Spoiler: it's the next MLB and Gran Turismo)

Fess

I’d say let then cook and make PS6 great. It takes 4-5 years or more to make a game now.
What will they have for PS6 if all these studios start releasing games for PS5 the next 1-2 years? Cross gen HD remasters?

vivftp

For anyone who's been paying attention and learning to read between the lines, they know that such a Showcase is coming. Sony's intentionally filled us in on the lineup for 2024 and no further with the last State of Play. Why? They obviously have games releasing in 2025, so why put a hard cutoff on the SoP and what it covers? Because they have a Pro console launching this year and like any company, they'd want to show off all their games running on the shiny new hardware. Also keep in mind that September Showcases are not uncommon. Out of the last 4 Showcases, 2 have been in September.

We know from SIE leadership that they will have tentpole releases next FY and the FY after and that revenue was expected to be higher next FY than this from first party (IIRC, someone can correct me)

We know that between the last Showcase in May 2023 and today, Sony has had a grand total of 24 games in its "marketing sphere" between SIE published and console exclusives and by the end of this year, most of those games will have shipped. There will only be a few announced games remaining to release once we enter 2025, so they will have to have an event to set the stage for the next wave of games, and that stage will be a Showcase because that's where Sony announces their games.

Quite honestly, how many games do folks want Sony to have announced at any given point to market? As I noted above, they've had 24 entire games in their marketing sphere in the span of just over a year. That's a helluva lot of games! Now that the existing lineup of announces games is about to be worn down to a few remaining ones, now will be the time to refill their plate with the next wave of games. And just in case you were curious what 24 games I'm talking about...

Spider-Man 2
Death Stranding 2
Marathon
Fairgame$
Concord
Destiny 2 The Final Shape
Final Fantasy 16 + DLCs
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Silent Hill 2
Lost Soul Aside
Convallaria
Physint
Foamstars
Stellar Blade
Rise of the Ronin
MLB24
Helldivers 2
Astro Bot
LEGO Horizon Adventure
Firewall Ultra
The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered
God of War Ragnarok Valhalla
Until Dawn PS5/PC
Wolverine

Out of that list, by the time this year ends the only remaining ones will be:

Wolverine
Physint
Convallaria
Lost Soul Aside
Fairgame$
Marathon
Death Stranding 2

And it's possible Convallaria and Lost Soul Aside could still land this year, as they could get release dates at the China Joy event later this month. I didn't even include indie games like Pacific Drive and Baby Steps in there. So yeah, my take is that Sony is going from Showcase to Showcase and will have a buttload of games active in their "marketing sphere" between Showcases, and the majority of those games will release within that time frame between Showcases. So by the time the 2025 showcase happens many of those games will have released and they'll be ready to go for the next wave.

Topher

Gold Member
For anyone who's been paying attention and learning to read between the lines, they know that such a Showcase is coming. Sony's intentionally filled us in on the lineup for 2024 and no further with the last State of Play. Why? They obviously have games releasing in 2025, so why put a hard cutoff on the SoP and what it covers? Because they have a Pro console launching this year and like any company, they'd want to show off all their games running on the shiny new hardware. Also keep in mind that September Showcases are not uncommon. Out of the last 4 Showcases, 2 have been in September.

You put way too much effort into that. I hope you are right that we see another showcase this year. I further hope it focuses on first party studios single player games. I've seen enough Gaas shit for quite a while.

vivftp

You put way too much effort into that. I hope you are right that we see another showcase this year. I further hope it focuses on first party studios single player games. I've seen enough Gaas shit for quite a while.

I like lists :D

A showcase is inevitable and September is the most logical time frame for it to occur. I would refer you back to my first post in this thread on the first page to see precisely just how I see the next 5.5 working out - the amount of games will be staggering, for live service and single player gamers.

Topher

Gold Member
I like lists :D

A showcase is inevitable and September is the most logical time frame for it to occur. I would refer you back to my first post in this thread on the first page to see precisely just how I see the next 5.5 working out - the amount of games will be staggering, for live service and single player gamers.
Black Widow Avengers GIF

I'm kidding. Like I said.....hope you are right.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, maybe. I'm definitely not planning on getting a PS6. First PS I have ever considered skipping. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see it.

I would need to see some sort of road map past launch year as my ps5s are completely collecting dust.

I can't wait for astro bot but their releases schedule for the last 2 years has been abysmal.

vivftp

? Apple has an event every single year. Literally the same month. Their fans arent left in the dark waiting year after year to see what they have got going on.

Sony has skipped E3 showcases four times since 2019. They had one last year and one in 2020. The rest of the time they have these random state of plays with B tier crap from third parties no one wants to play.

This is very easy to follow. Sony either holds a Showcase around May/June or September. See how easy that was? 2020 had a Showcase in June and one in September. 2021 had one in September. 2022 had no Showcase as the pandemic was whupping everyones asses. 2023 had a Showcase in May. 2024 we know the PS5 Pro is coming and a September reveal seems inevitable, so a September Showcase this September is the most probable eventuality.

While a May/June Showcase can always potentially happen on any given year, it's baffling that so many folks ignore September when they've held a Showcase in that month 50% of the time this gen so far.

It is known. their big studios fucked themselves by releasing cross gen games in 2022. No one counts those as PS5 titles no matter what people here try and pretend.

If PD, SSM, GG had released next gen only genre defining titles with Matrix quality visuals and next gen gameplay like they did last gen, no one would be making threads like this.

Third party moneyhats like stellar blade, rise of ronin, deathloop, ghostwire, forspoken are not games PS fans bought PS5s for. We like Sony studios games precisely because they were next gen showpieces way beyond what third parties were doing. now they focus on quantity over quality. horizon is 100 hours. gow is 60 hours. gt7 finally has a campaign.

No, we want smaller games that push the bar both in terms of visuals and gamplay. Its insane how even astrobot took 4 years to make and they didnt bother upgrading graphics from the free pack-in. Fucking horizon legos looks better. I really dont understand the fascination with quantity over quality. thats literally not the point of first party studios. thats ubisoft mentality. make games smaller so you can release them faster. its not that hard.

I'm doing my best to bite my tongue on this reply and play nice. Suffice it to say, Sony are delivering the best of both worlds for folks who want a great bang for their buck massive experience, and folks who want smaller experiences. You complain about Horizon Forbidden West? They also had the Burning Shores expansion. You complain about God of War Ragnarok? They had the Valhalla DLC. Additionally Ghost of Tsushima had the Director's Cut with the Iki Island expansion. A smaller God of War game has been rumored. Spider-Man had Miles Morales as a shorter entry. Uncharted had Lost Legacy as a smaller entry. A smaller Spider-Man entry with Venom is likely coming. They're delivering on every front for folks who want shorter and longer experiences.

Your graphic-whore blinders and one track mind are really narrowing your perception of what PlayStation is delivering and your views don't even come close to representing the majority of "PS fans".

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is very easy to follow. Sony either holds a Showcase around May/June or September. See how easy that was? 2020 had a Showcase in June and one in September. 2021 had one in September. 2022 had no Showcase as the pandemic was whupping everyones asses. 2023 had a Showcase in May. 2024 we know the PS5 Pro is coming and a September reveal seems inevitable, so a September Showcase this September is the most probable eventuality.

While a May/June Showcase can always potentially happen on any given year, it's baffling that so many folks ignore September when they've held a Showcase in that month 50% of the time this gen so far.

I'm doing my best to bite my tongue on this reply and play nice. Suffice it to say, Sony are delivering the best of both worlds for folks who want a great bang for their buck massive experience, and folks who want smaller experiences. You complain about Horizon Forbidden West? They also had the Burning Shores expansion. You complain about God of War Ragnarok? They had the Valhalla DLC. Additionally Ghost of Tsushima had the Director's Cut with the Iki Island expansion. A smaller God of War game has been rumored. Spider-Man had Miles Morales as a shorter entry. Uncharted had Lost Legacy as a smaller entry. A smaller Spider-Man entry with Venom is likely coming. They're delivering on every front for folks who want shorter and longer experiences.

Your graphic-whore blinders and one track mind are really narrowing your perception of what PlayStation is delivering and your views don't even come close to representing the majority of "PS fans".

All they need to do is have solid messaging. They are supposed to be the market leader.

Choose a rough time of the year each year and announce a few months in advance.

vivftp

I would need to see some sort of road map past launch year as my ps5s are completely collecting dust.

I can't wait for astro bot but their releases schedule for the last 2 years has been abysmal.

Which publisher has done a better job in the last 24 months and which platform holder has done a better job of bringing exclusives to their platform in the last 24 months? Keeping in mind that everyone's been coming out of the effects of the pandemic in that time frame. SIE has stated that only now are they past the disruptions to their pipeline from the pandemic (well, as of the end of the last FY)

All they need to do is have solid messaging. They are supposed to be the market leader.

May/June and/or September. This ain't frickin' rocket surgery. This has happened enough over the course of this gen that we should all know this by now. If it doesn't happen in May/June then it'll happen in September.

EDMIX

Nah, I greatly disagree.

They are market leader because they make great games.

They have no ode to rush an announcement cause you are upset or something, people buy games, they do not buy teasers or CGI trailers sir. I've argue more publishers and developers have been hurt by this, then by shutting up between releases, in fact what fucking game can we even say suffered from having a short marketing window from reveal to release? Fallout 4 was wildly successful based on this type of marketing. No Hype, no Bullshit, just reveal, release date and see you at the end of the year.

Look at Cyberpunk 2077, this game was revealed in 2012 and then spent almost a decade being changed, altered and by the time it released that shit wasn't even a fraction of what was being promised or shown prior to release. So....let the developers cook.

They wish to make games in peace, I'd argue with the records they broke and awards they got, they deserve that much.

So, Sony's messaging is we'll show you games when they are actually ready to be shown sir, that is good enough for me as this whole reveal just because shit is overrated and seems to do more harm then good.

Xtib81

Since any form of hype is now dead with their shitty ass annoucements over the last 4 years, I wish they followed CD projekt's strategy. Announce a roadmap with the games you're working on, the amount of people working on each game and keep release dates to yourself until it's ready.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Since any form of hype is kow dead with their shitty ass annoucements overwatch the last 4 years, I wish they followed CD projekt's strategy. Announce a roadmap with the games you're working on, the amount of people working on each game and keep release dates to yourself until it's ready.

lol nah, I don't even think they should do that.

Roadmaps can change too.

I'd just rather have a reveal when a release is more ready or something.

vivftp

Since any form of hype is now dead with their shitty ass annoucements over the last 4 years, I wish they followed CD projekt's strategy. Announce a roadmap with the games you're working on, the amount of people working on each game and keep release dates to yourself until it's ready.

This will never happen again. What happened in 2016 (and a small bit in 2017) where they blew their load for the entire gen isn't gonna occur again. Sony knows that adds unecessary pressure on their studios, takes away even more time from development of the game, takes away manpower from the development of the game and takes away from the budget of the game. We have statements from Neil Druckmann and Raf Grassetti reaffirming that. So no, that would be the worst possible thing they could do.

Top Bottom