• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2.2 Million People Were Willing to Pay $100 to Play College Football 25 3 Days Early

Shin-Ra

Hardcore sport fans that are also impatient, FOMO, addict game players, got to be some of the most exploitable specimens out there.

“There’s one born every minute.”

Three

Saying they bought it just for the 3 days access is a little disingenuous since they bought the deluxe edition which came with other perks but overall it's not that much better.

ARK1391

I subbed to EA Play for a month ($5.99 I think?) to try it early and see if I liked it. I'm sure a lot of people payed the $100, but there was another, cheaper, way to play it early.

Surely there was other incentives not just the 3 days early?
Yes, but that is not why people bought the ultimate edition. We even had folks here admitting that they cancelled their physical pre-orders solely to get the digital version early.

The other incentives were digital currency, etc. I'd wager most people buying this didn't even know what the bonuses were prior to purchase.

Last edited:
Most of them probably didn't do this, but there was an offer to get the deluxe version of this game and Madden for $150 if you pre-ordered both. I signed up for a month of EA play for $5.99, used the 10% discount, and got both for $141 total, so it was almost the exact same price as buying the standard version of each.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
People buy the ultimate editions or wherever of things without early access. I’m sure it helps sell them but it’s not why many people pay that price and it’ll continue to sell after launch.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I wonder how much extra people would play to play the next mainline Zelda game early. Or the next Naughty Dog IP early.

This is smart. They're leaving money on the table by not utilizing this strategy.

MastAndo

Not that I support this kind of thing, but technically, they paid $30 to play it early (and for a bunch of Ultimate Team points).

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
It’s all about being first. First to review it, first to stream it, first to YouTube it, first to complete an objective. It’s super silly that in 60-90 days this will be on sale for 39.99

Wooxsvan

salt salting GIF

Euler007

Kinda puts the 70$ vs 60$ debate in another light (same for the price point for the pro). There's some real loud voices out there that don't reflect the market.

Kinda puts the 70$ vs 60$ debate in another light (same for the price point for the pro). There's some real loud voices out there that don't reflect the market.
The reality is video games are a crazy cheap hobby compared to like every other hobby that exists. The market will pay for things they want, that's how capitalism works

I personally love this strategy. If people are willing to pay more for a couple days if early access so be it. Seems like a win win for everyone. The customer gets to play a game they anticipate faster, and the publisher gets extra money.

Would I personally ever do this? Hell no. $30 for 3 days early is insane imo, but as long as there is a market for it, I don't think it's a big deal.

Mossybrew

So they are paying what, thirty bucks extra over the standard version? That's like, ordering two pizzas from Dominos, big deal, it's not some wild extravagance to drop an extra 30 bucks for a deluxe version of a game you know you are really into.

PatientGamer

Gold Member
Last year, 6.8 million fools paid $100 for early access to FC 24 too...

If EA wanted to to charge $150 for 6 days early or $200 for 9 days.

So many chumps would do it.

Antwix

These are annual franchises, the game will become obsolete in exactly 365 days so those 3 extra days are worth the extra money.
While yes, this will be an annual franchise again (probably), the last release was a decade ago so people are obviously excited for it.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Damn! Guess it was a smart idea for a game people have wanted for many years now.

They need to do this with FC25. They might make a billion with this model.

ebevan91

Imagine not knowing how much people love college football in this country and how long a lot of these people have waited for a college football video game to come out again

Especially in the south. College football is like, 3rd place behind God and guns down here. I've heard more talk about CFB25 than I have any recent Madden game.

I'm seeing a lot of posts in college football related boards people saying they bought a PS5 just to play this game

I think we're gonna see a one month spike in console sales this month. People don't understand now but they will when they see the sales

ssringo

The deluxe edition comes with 4600 "College Football Points" which don't have a direct microtransaction price but are in the realm of $30+. If I'm going to be buying the game day 1 anyway why not buy in for the earlier access time if I'd also be wanting those "Points"? Not really losing anything. There's even a 10 hour trial if you have EA Play and I bet there's streams/vods of the game available if you don't.

Note: I did not and will not be buying the game.

Dude, what are you talking about?

There is a generation of bros who played NCAA through their childhood, college, and later. Why are you dunking on it?
Not to mention colleges all over the country, with fans and students of those places who love college sports. tbh I enjoy NCAAF more than the NFL these days. It wouldn't be a stretch to say people like that were a huge part of gaming during the SNES days and afterwards, where games like Madden, NFL 2k, NBA 2k, NBA Jam and NHL, MLB titles sold tons of copies and helped grow the gaming industry.

Top Bottom