• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2.2 Million People Were Willing to Pay $100 to Play College Football 25 3 Days Early

Pedro Motta

fuck yeah GIF
freedom GIF
Independence Day America GIF by Black Rifle Coffee Company

There are people who own consoles solely to play sports games, i can almost promise someone bought a console just for this game. Doesnt surprise me
Exactly. These are a different breed of gamers who buy less than 10 games a generation, and the majority of those purchases are sports games.

They don't care about what the gaming community cares about and they never will. The only thing that upsets them is when the sports game plays horribly or is balanced horribly, to which they will refund or simply go back to last year's edition.

StereoVsn

Not surprised.
Lots of buzz for the game in my area. I can imagine that amplified and starved for ncaa niche.
I mean sure, but why pay extra $30 for 2-3 days? That’s kind of dumb.

I do get why people are buying the game but $100 for basically nothing is sending a wrong message to the publishers.

sendit

I contributed to the problem. Paid 140 for both (PS5) CollegeFootball25 and Madden25. I also have EA Play Ultimate on PC. Had to buy the PS5 version because EA Forced my hand by not releasing CollegeFootball25 on the PC. They are geniuses.

Last edited:

NickFire

I’ve made it 24 hours without buying the regular edition so far. But will power is waning. Might not make it till morning.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The reality is video games are a crazy cheap hobby compared to like every other hobby that exists. The market will pay for things they want, that's how capitalism works
cheap to get into maybe.... once you factor in all the other transactions for gaming it's not that cheap

Last edited:

Raven117

Not to mention colleges all over the country, with fans and students of those places who love college sports. tbh I enjoy NCAAF more than the NFL these days. It wouldn't be a stretch to say people like that were a huge part of gaming during the SNES days and afterwards, where games like Madden, NFL 2k, NBA 2k, NBA Jam and NHL, MLB titles sold tons of copies and helped grow the gaming industry.
I was using “bros” as a broad term of endearment, but yeah, exactly this.

Raven117

Why they like college football so much? Isn't like... Pro football better?
Not from the US I take it? College football is its own animal. And it’s totally awesome.

Maybe this will put it in perspective. Real Madrid plays in a 85,000 capacity stadium. Man U, about 75k.

The college I went to, and sells out most if not all home games, 102,733 capacity. There are a lot of universities like mine that are around that big. Like probably over 30 schools or more with over 80/90k capacity. Hundreds of others in the 40-60 space. All playing on Saturdays in the fall.

It’s absolutely huge.

amigastar

Not bad. Sadly no PC version.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Slightly off topic, but as an Englishman, can somebody explain to me why there is a separate American football game just for college football?

Shouldn't this be included in Madden? It's the same sport, right?

kapshin

Slightly off topic, but as an Englishman, can somebody explain to me why there is a separate American football game just for college football?

Yes but NCAA and NFL are their own leagues it's not like FIFA that included many leagues.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yes but NCAA and NFL are their own leagues it's not like FIFA that included many leagues.

With FIFA it was just the name EA were paying for.

The new EAFC doesn't have the FIFA license, but contains multiple leagues around the world and multiple leagues in the same nations.

kirby007

missing out of 3 days of ultimate team? do you know what a disadvantage that is? thats worth an extra 60 easily
ya'll so outta touch with competitive play

Last edited:

knguyen

These people are really telling EA that it's REWARDING for them to push further with predatory and manipulation practices. BUT, it's their hard earned money, just don't be surprised when EA's next move will be more money hungry.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I watched some reviews of this game and apparently, unlike Madden for the past decade+, it's good. So that is a factor. They won't just get CFB fans desperate for a new title, but they will get NFL fans who want an actually good videogame. Heck I am thinking of picking it up for that reason (I probably won't though).

Why they like college football so much? Isn't like... Pro football better?
Pro and college football are like two different sports.

Last edited:
As someone with an amazing pre-school-aged child who bogarts the TV to play Animal Crossing and watch episodes of Pokemon, devs could offer to let me play their games a whole year early and it still wouldn't matter. Guys, one of these days I'm going to beat Death Stranding. No, really, I'm going to do it.

Last edited:
I personally love this strategy. If people are willing to pay more for a couple days if early access so be it. Seems like a win win for everyone. The customer gets to play a game they anticipate faster, and the publisher gets extra money.

Would I personally ever do this? Hell no. $30 for 3 days early is insane imo, but as long as there is a market for it, I don't think it's a big deal.
What is your acceptable rate for having your new game delayed? How much per day are you willing to "save" by being forced to wait? Currently, it's $20 for three days. What if it was "pay $150 now, or wait two weeks to pay $70". What if it was "$200 now, or wait two months"?

I'm curious what people think of this. Where is the "red line"?

Predatory? waiting 3 days isnt going to kill you bunch of drama queens lmao.
The people waiting aren't the "prey" here. It's the people with no willpower, an addiction, a YouTube or Twitch channel that absolutely needs to be there day one, a parent's credit card...

This also discourages physical sales.

Miles708

What is your acceptable rate for having your new game delayed? How much per day are you willing to "save" by being forced to wait? Currently, it's $20 for three days. What if it was "pay $150 now, or wait two weeks to pay $70". What if it was "$200 now, or wait two months"?

And people wonder why the gaming market in such dreaful state.
2.2 million is the answer.

CLW

This series has been gone for a decade and ea successfully marketed this game as NOT a Madden clone.

I LOVE CFB and but the bullet and can tell you it’s WORSE than Madden from a gameplay perspective.

But now I have a college football game so I’m good as long as it’s backwards compatible. Last one was ps3/360

Fair question. As for the price, idc, they can charge whatever. My overall point is I would personally NEVER pay for early access. I might preorder something that gives me a beta code or something, but I don't consider that paying for early access as I'm paying the same overall price.

As for the "delay" I'm not really sure and that's more of a grey area. If you talk something like a month or longer that's completely unacceptable and I would call BS on that. Probably my furthest limit would be 2 weeks, but it also depends on the game. If it's an online MP type of game, I can understand a little more leeway for server testing, better balancing etc. For something that is just or primarily a single player game, over a week is kind of pushing it imo.

Having said all that, I could still live with it. I truly can't think of any game that came out ever, or is planned to that I would need to play asap. Sure I would love to play anticipated games right sway, but it wouldn't kill me to wait a week or 2, there's wayyyy too much to play already. I guess I look at it overall I would rather publishers nickel and dime us this way than others.

Why only sell 1 game when you can sell 2 and make more money?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I think most paid $150 for the NCAA/Madden combo. They're going to buy Madden anyways, so why not save $50.
Wait, there is an early access option that also includes Madden and early access to it? Why wasn't this mentioned because doesn't that make this 5 bucks for early access for each game?

Top Bottom