• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Piggus

Anyone have experience with photochromatic face shields? The sun is right my face in the morning and this time of year it's dark when I leave work. Need to know if they're worth it if I'm gonna spend $140 on a piece of curved plastic.

Anyone have experience with photochromatic face shields? The sun is right my face in the morning and this time of year it's dark when I leave work. Need to know if they're worth it if I'm gonna spend $140 on a piece of curved plastic.

I use a clear shield + polarized sun glasses. Is that an option for you?

I didn't even know one could get transitioning face shields, sounds awesome. I looked at a Bell and a Shoei on revzilla.com and the both have 4.5 of 5 stars. I bet they are well worth it if you don't like wearing sunglasses.

Piggus

I use a clear shield + polarized sun glasses. Is that an option for you?

The ones I own are trash, and by the time I get a good pair I may as well have just bought the shield. :p

I didn't even know one could get transitioning face shields, sounds awesome. I looked at a Bell and a Shoei on revzilla.com and the both have 4.5 of 5 stars. I bet they are well worth it if you don't like wearing sunglasses.

Yeah, I have a Bell helmet with that quick release system. I guess I'll give it a try! All the reviews seem to indicate it works well.

$140 tho. Fuck.

In other news, I filled up for another 200 miles of riding. Total cost: $3.52.

Damaged

Had some Motox goggles with transition lenses that were good but it wasn't that fast to react. Used to have to squint a fair bit before they caught up

Dougald

Was an alright trip to the London Motorcycle show on Saturday, but I think this will be the last year I go. The venue is much smaller than the show in Birmingham in November, but just as many people, if not more, go.

I did pick up some Dainese leathers for 25% off though. Also got a look at the new SV650 which looks like the perfect beginner bike. Also got to compare the Tiger Sport and MT-09 Tracer, I would still go with the Yamaha.

Was an alright trip to the London Motorcycle show on Saturday, but I think this will be the last year I go. The venue is much smaller than the show in Birmingham in November, but just as many people, if not more, go.

I did pick up some Dainese leathers for 25% off though. Also got a look at the new SV650 which looks like the perfect beginner bike. Also got to compare the Tiger Sport and MT-09 Tracer, I would still go with the Yamaha.

cheers for the feedback.... its a good place to go too for discount kit. Most of the bike you see on youtube or websites. It would be nice if they can contain the excitement for the show.

Dougald

I got to sit on the BMW Scrambler too. I know it's still quite pricey, but even though its a "cheap" version of the regular rNineT, it really feels quite nice and premium. The clocks (or almost total lack thereof) are the only thing that really lets it down, but for a 1200cc boxer it feels quite small. It doesn't feel quite as premium as the excellent new Bonnevilles, but I suspect that the BMW will be the better ride.

I think I would probably go for the R1200R instead, but it's a really nice retro option.

I got to sit on the BMW Scrambler too. I know it's still quite pricey, but even though its a "cheap" version of the regular rNineT, it really feels quite nice and premium. The clocks (or almost total lack thereof) are the only thing that really lets it down, but for a 1200cc boxer it feels quite small. It doesn't feel quite as premium as the excellent new Bonnevilles, but I suspect that the BMW will be the better ride.

I think I would probably go for the R1200R instead, but it's a really nice retro option.

Cheers for the feedback. I do like my R1200R but if I can get a bit more cut down then its better. I am going through this stage in my life that I am looking for simple but functional. There are so many tech in the bike that I would never use but I do miss going off the tar road a bit. If this bike can do it it might be an option for me.

But have to test ride it first. that truimph sound is just so good at the moment.

Dougald

I would want to test them both. Like I said the Bonneville is definitely the most "premium" in terms of feel, but BMW have done a great job of cutting down the Scrambler to basics without sacrificing build quality. No telelever suspension though..

Didn't get too many photos but here is a bonus one of the MT-10. It's totally gorgeous in person, photos make it look a bit gaudy

W4j8t69.jpg

OraleeWey

The weather was deadly but it was worth it : )

whFt1SNh.jpg

10/10 will almost die again for another KLR650
*joking

Gaf, I can't drive it yet. Come next month, I will. This is just the small first step.

Dougald

Gaf, I can't drive it yet. Come next month, I will. This is just the small first step.

I love how overkill that giant flatbed is for your little bike. Looks like a lovely machine

Did they mention the price? It is the only piece missing...

Unfortunately not, I reckon £10k, which would make it slightly more expensive than a GSX-S1000 and slightly less expensive than a Speed Triple. The new Speed Triple is lovely too, but nowhere near as striking as the MT, plus suffers from the hideous exhaust syndrome that seems to have befallen their 2016 lineup.

OraleeWey

I love how overkill that giant flatbed is for your little bike. Looks like a lovely machine

LOL yeah I know it's overkill. For the record I don't drive the 18 Wheeler myself. I just happen to know a trucker who was heading down there and was willing to help!

Edit: Just got home and stored it at my uncles. I didn't realize how big the bike is. Anyone want to give me useful tips for my first time controlling it? It's huge and it weighs some 400lbs.

I mean I knew it was a pretty big bike, but seeing it in person, man... It's big.

Also, how to properly start the bike and take off?

LOL yeah I know it's overkill. For the record I don't drive the 18 Wheeler myself. I just happen to know a trucker who was heading down there and was willing to help!

Edit: Just got home and stored it at my uncles. I didn't realize how big the bike is. Anyone want to give me useful tips for my first time controlling it? It's huge and it weighs some 400lbs.

I mean I knew it was a pretty big bike, but seeing it in person, man... It's big.

I'm sure there are better videos, but I found this one good and to the point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3yE-btIbFI

Then once you know how to ride here are a couple drills you can practice to hone your skills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt28gpI-RkE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINUaiIy01c

Dougald

Honestly, leave it in the garage and go take at least a days safety course. I know the licensing is pretty lax in the US but you are best off being taught the basics in a controlled environment. If you really can't do that, get a parking lot and start off with some slow speed drills. If you can drive a manual car then you'll pick it up easily enough, just be gentle with the controls.

Don't be too put off by the size, you won't notice it when you're moving, but you'll probably want to practice starting/stopping safely on it. If you're short like me you are better off putting one foot flat on the ground and leaving the other on the peg, this is more stable than being on your tiptoes.

Cheesy acting aside, a twist of the wrist should be mandatory viewing for all bikers, old and new. It dispels a lot of myths about how steering a motorcycle works

You should take the MSF course with their bikes for a weekend before trying anything. Yes, it costs money, but so does fixing your bike after you drop it a couple of times while learning the basics on your own. My MSF course was on super light 125cc bikes, very nice intro bike size, although the clutch and shifter on that thing was awful (cue anxiety about finding neutral on shitty old bikes).

OraleeWey

I'm sure there are better videos, but I found this one good and to the point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3yE-btIbFI

Then once you know how to ride here are a couple drills you can practice to hone your skills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt28gpI-RkE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINUaiIy01c
Thanks for the videos, very useful!

Honestly, leave it in the garage and go take at least a days safety course. I know the licensing is pretty lax in the US but you are best off being taught the basics in a controlled environment. If you really can't do that, get a parking lot and start off with some slow speed drills. If you can drive a manual car then you'll pick it up easily enough, just be gentle with the controls.

Don't be too put off by the size, you won't notice it when you're moving, but you'll probably want to practice starting/stopping safely on it. If you're short like me you are better off putting one foot flat on the ground and leaving the other on the peg, this is more stable than being on your tiptoes.

Cheesy acting aside, a twist of the wrist should be mandatory viewing for all bikers, old and new. It dispels a lot of myths about how steering a motorcycle works
Regarding the bolded part, that's exactly what I plan on doing. I won't be riding it for at least about a month. I will take the BRC and from there practice on my bike. I don't know that I'll use an empty parking lot. My uncles neighborhood is big and I think that neighborhood will be perfect for me to learn on. Plenty of turn, etc.
You should take the MSF course with their bikes for a weekend before trying anything. Yes, it costs money, but so does fixing your bike after you drop it a couple of times while learning the basics on your own. My MSF course was on super light 125cc bikes, very nice intro bike size, although the clutch and shifter on that thing was awful (cue anxiety about finding neutral on shitty old bikes).
Like I said above, absolutely. I'll take the course soon. As soon as it is available! Can't wait to be able to ride.

A parking lot is perfect because that's where most safety classes are also done. So you basically go home and run the same drills on your bike in the same type of environment.

I can't be a hypocrite though. There was a month long wait for my MSF course so I got a buddy that knew how to ride and he gave me an hour worth of lessons in a parking lot and then I hit my neighborhood. However, after I took the class I realized I was doing so much wrong and all it took was a close call and a wrong reaction.

Was it a new Kawasaki? If so look in your folder, Kawasaki sometimes give out a training dvd with new models, at least here in Australia. I was told it's very dated but may be useful, I haven't watched it yet so can't comment on content.

OraleeWey

A parking lot is perfect because that's where most safety classes are also done. So you basically go home and run the same drills on your bike in the same type of environment.

I can't be a hypocrite though. There was a month long wait for my MSF course so I got a buddy that knew how to ride and he gave me an hour worth of lessons in a parking lot and then I hit my neighborhood. However, after I took the class I realized I was doing so much wrong and all it took was a close call and a wrong reaction.
Nice. Glad it worked out for you. My MSF classes start on the 8th/9th of March (2 days) IIRC. I will sign up for the next week and play the waiting game. I personally don't know anyone who can teach me.

Was it a new Kawasaki? If so look in your folder, Kawasaki sometimes give out a training dvd with new models, at least here in Australia. I was told it's very dated but may be useful, I haven't watched it yet so can't comment on content.

Nah, it isn't a new bike. I opted for a used one. had to go pick it up in NC. It's a 2006 KLR650 with 11,300 miles. I left a pic a few posts above :)

I think I've got it down though. I just need to put my knowledge to practice. That's all. So, I'm looking forward to the MSF course.

Dougald

44T reviewed the Scrambler Sixty2

Considering it's just £500 less than the regular scrambler, I'm not sure who this bike is for other than kids who are only old enough to take the A2 test, desperately want a Ducati, and have rich parents. My local dealer is selling their 2015 demo Icon with only 600 miles on it for the same price as a new, lower powered Sixty2.

44T reviewed the Scrambler Sixty2

Considering it's just £500 less than the regular scrambler, I'm not sure who this bike is for other than kids who are only old enough to take the A2 test, desperately want a Ducati, and have rich parents. My local dealer is selling their 2015 demo Icon with only 600 miles on it for the same price as a new, lower powered Sixty2.

That duc is also on my radar but then every time I walk into Blade Reading is a no service experience. That is what sells a bike for me. But I will have a look.

nico1982

Considering it's just £500 less than the regular scrambler, I'm not sure who this bike is for other than kids who are only old enough to take the A2 test, desperately want a Ducati, and have rich parents.
There's an A2 restriction kit available for the 800 cc Scrambler.

I suppose Ducati are confident enough that the smaller displacement version will take a niche of its own. Maybe because of the lighter weight, or the fact that 400 is less imposing than 800 on the specs, I don't know. Sales number will tell the truth. I suspect they will sold a ton of them, much less than the 800, but still a decent amount.

Dougald

Seriously, there is a restrictor for the 800? Pointless. The 800 is tiny as it is anyway. I suspect you might be right in that they'll sell a bunch, but it doesn't make much sense to me. The latest rumour that they might make a 1000+ version is interesting though.

That duc is also on my radar but then every time I walk into Blade Reading is a no service experience. That is what sells a bike for me. But I will have a look.

They are awful, frankly, I wouldn't buy anything there. My Ducati-loving friend recommends ProTwins in Godstone or Snell in Alton

Seriously, there is a restrictor for the 800? Pointless. The 800 is tiny as it is anyway. I suspect you might be right in that they'll sell a bunch, but it doesn't make much sense to me. The latest rumour that they might make a 1000+ version is interesting though.

I actually had a 25kw restriction kit for the first bike I owned (back when the licenses in The Netherlands were divided into 25kw for two years and unrestricted after that). That was for a 620 Monster. Worked pretty well because it was a mechanical restriction in the sense that it prevented opening of the throttle past a certain point. So no messing around with air intake or anything like that. Because of the bike being mostly about torque anyway, you didn't even really notice the restriction.

Not sure if it would be the same type on these newer bikes. Though with A2 being 35kw, odds of that are pretty good.

Dougald

Of course the best A2 bike money can buy is the secret A2 version of the Street Triple that you can order direct from Triumph in the UK ;-)

They are awful, frankly, I wouldn't buy anything there. My Ducati-loving friend recommends ProTwins in Godstone or Snell in Alton

Cheers, will go and have a look at them.

nico1982

The kit is quite useful in that allows an A2 licensee ride the 800. It can't be ridden vanilla. It does make the 400 even more pointless, yes. At least, I don't see how anyone with an A2 license and a sane mind would get the 400 over a restricted 800... Unless Ducati discontinue the kit.

I'm curious about the liter bike, too.

OraleeWey

Any brand recommendations I can find on cyclegear.com for gloves and boots? Must be waterproof is all.

I just need gloves, boots, and a helmet.

Rizific

ran into my first issue on my ninja 300. i think my left indicator bulb is out. if i signal left, the light on my dash stays on and so does my rear left indicator light. no light from my front left. if engine is off i can hear the relay clicking if i signal right, but not no clicking if i signal left. it started yesterday and i took the bulb out to take a look and it looks ok from what i can tell. after putting it back in it worked fine and i figured it was just loose and that was the end of that. but it started doing it again today. bad bulb? or what else?

Piggus

Bikes are looking too much like Megatron these days. Nothing beats the Ducati 998 for me. Clean and simple.

Anyway, got that photochromic face shield, but the weather has been garbage all week so I haven't tried it yet.

Arucardo

ran into my first issue on my ninja 300. i think my left indicator bulb is out. if i signal left, the light on my dash stays on and so does my rear left indicator light. no light from my front left. if engine is off i can hear the relay clicking if i signal right, but not no clicking if i signal left. it started yesterday and i took the bulb out to take a look and it looks ok from what i can tell. after putting it back in it worked fine and i figured it was just loose and that was the end of that. but it started doing it again today. bad bulb? or what else?

Might be the bulb but that sounds more like a faulty indicator relay (aka flasher relay). Trying a new bulb first would be the cheaper option but a new relay isn't that expensive, should be around 20usd or eur.

At the MSX price point its such a great little bike. There are about 4 in the Reading area that I have spotted and they slip through the traffic like butter.

Going to be March in less than week. Not much longer now...

Think I'm going to take the M2 in for a little service, the other two bikes should be fine for the next 8.000 kilometers.

Dougald

The BMW needs a service... now I guess, and the Triumph needs an oil change next month, but I've been too bogged down working on my house to get it done, you can barely even get my bikes out past all the lumber and borrowed tools in the garage

Another month and the season will be in full swing though, I have already noticed an uptick of bikes on the road in the UK. The moment I see a Ducati I'll know the season has begun!

Haha, friend of mine snapped a photo of a guy on an 899 the other day, while the roads were still covered in salt! Either he didn't get the memo or he's (very) unlike the other Ducatisti.

Watevaman

Bunch of guys from my college's motorcycle club went on some gravel backroads with snow and mud still on them. One guy had a Ninja 250, dropped it, picked it up, kept on trucking.

Some people just want to ride I guess.

I have slow puncture but it seems to have stopped now that I have bought a foot pump haha.

Its really nice now to at least ride in light home in the afternoon. A few weeks and it would be great again.

Guys are saying only Sep availability for the R nine T scrambler. That is a long time lol

Piggus

Alright, I've had a few days to use that photochromic face shield, and it was DEFINITELY worth the money. The sun being right in my face on the way to work is no longer a problem at all, and there's no need to swap shields when I go home after dark. Highly recommended.

Alright, I've had a few days to use that photochromic face shield, and it was DEFINITELY worth the money. The sun being right in my face on the way to work is no longer a problem at all, and there's no need to swap shields when I go home after dark. Highly recommended.

Cool, how dark is the tint at night? Those photochromaic lenses always have some minimum level of tint.

I've been test riding for my new bike!

First off the Triumph Tiger 800 XRT. Super comfortable, plenty of power, great on the motorway although I did get some buffeting on the helmet so if I end up with that (it's currently favourite for my £) then I'll need a different screen.

And of course while I was there my wife decided to try the Street Triple...she came back grinning from ear to ear! I was a bit jealous of her riding that. The dealers had the new Speed Triple in but it wasn't ready to test ride so I've booked that in for next week (and the wife will ride the Street again).

Then I tried the Africa twin. Absolutely brilliant to ride, but me being 5'7" it's not practical for the type of riding I need to do. If I was riding across Europe yes - but into town, it's too tall for me.

SBZJ7z2.jpg

Now to try to book in a BMW or 2. The R1200RS and the S1000R are also on the list at the moment. Surprisingly once I spec up the Tiger 800 to how I want it, the BMWs aren't a million miles away price wise.

Dougald

How tall was the Africa Twin on you? I am about the same height and it's on my list. If I can get the balls of my feet down I'm pretty happy unless it's really heavy.

That A twin is also on my list.

Great feedback... ride as much as you can before buying. Try the BMW XR or even the R1200R is you want the boxser engine.

So many nice bike out now. Also that Duc scrambler.

Piggus

Cool, how dark is the tint at night? Those photochromaic lenses always have some minimum level of tint.

I'd have to do a side-by-side comparison to know for sure, but so far I haven't noticed any difference at night compared to my clear shield.

EDIT: I did a side by side comparison and there is a minimum tint, but it's barely perceptible.

Top Bottom