• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

I tried the V9 Bobber but oddly enough my knees kept rubbing against the heads. Similar engine and seat positions, just something about the posture and foot controls. Wasn't a problem at all on the V7s.

I actually prefer the look of the V7 in many respects... It seems that there isn't a huge performance difference between them, at least on paper - did you find much difference on the road?

Honestly the only bike Guzzi makes that I'm not a huge fan of is the Stelvio... Those headlights

I actually prefer the look of the V7 in many respects... It seems that there isn't a huge performance difference between them, at least on paper - did you find much difference on the road?

Honestly the only bike Guzzi makes that I'm not a huge fan of is the Stelvio... Those headlights

The knee/engine head confrontation was to the point where I didn't even bother testing the bobber so I couldn't say. It's got a little more weight than the V7 and about what, 8 more horsepower? Wouldn't expect much more oomph, and the seat on the V7 is way nicer.

3MYqJill.jpg
Very nice! Congratulations.

And I won't get into my political views, but will just say I'm very happy I bought German. 450 miles in the first 5 days!

Wife is very happy with her Street Triple too. I managed to fit her Kriega tail pack straps yearerday. Quite a faff with that tiny Rx/Daytona tail section.

Dougald

Whew, you'll be getting that first service in no time! Especially with the weather today..

I'm trying to decide whether to go to loomies (for the Rock and roll) or Rykas (for the Yamaha MT Tour and test rides) today..

Whew, you'll be getting that first service in no time! Especially with the weather today..

I'm trying to decide whether to go to loomies (for the Rock and roll) or Rykas (for the Yamaha MT Tour and test rides) today..
Yeah not sure I'll get out today with boring house stuff to do. I do have to get it out for its inaugural wash today.

Yesterday I soldered up a CAN-bus connector to my TomTom power cable so will see if I can fit that easily, or I'll ask BMW to do it along with the service. Buying the BMW is a good excuse to buy some more tools - I don't have a torx set at the moment.

Dougald

Ah torx, I found that BMW love torx and hex bolts for some reason. My advice is to get a good set that fits your ratchet handle to avoid rounding them out.

Ah torx, I found that BMW love torx and hex bolts for some reason. My advice is to get a good set that fits your ratchet handle to avoid rounding them out.
I was going to get a T handle set, but I guess some will need to be torqued specifically, so a set to fit on the ratchet might be better.

Finally ordered a back protector for my jacket and I really need to re-waterproof the shell. It doesn't cope with these deluges very well at all without the liner.

Lovely commute in today. Good weather, easy traffic, very relaxing. Rather be going somewhere else but got to pay for this hobby somehow.

First service booked in. £180-220 quoted which seems kinda high for what looks like rather minimal work. But then it is BMW in London, and it's convenient for me for work.

Really must get the Harley up for sale ASAP to make room (physical & financially) for the Thruxton. At least with Triumph the first service labour is covered (you just pay for the consumables).

Think my first service was about the same £180. Its not so much the parts but the hour you pay per technician working on the bike. I usually take my time with the run 600 miles to give my wallet a break lol

Enjoy the bike and hope you dont get the rain this afternoon

Think my first service was about the same £180. Its not so much the parts but the hour you pay per technician working on the bike. I usually take my time with the run 600 miles to give my wallet a break lol

Enjoy the bike and hope you dont get the rain this afternoon
Yeah I do around 250-280 miles a week just commuting so it quickly adds up. Maybe I should've got a cheap 300-500 commuter for that daily stuff, but I love riding my beemer and YOLO!

Watevaman

I figured since I havent had any more bites on the ZRX that I would do some things to it. Yesterday was adjusting the suspension. I adjusted the suspension to some settings I found online for someone around my weight and holy crap, feels like a new bike. It was always a bit unstable in the turns before but I chalked that up to it being heavy and powerful. Turns out the previous owner had put almost everything to the highest setting so it was stiff as balls compared to what it is now. Took it on a run around some 70 mph sweepers and it did great.

I think I'm gonna throw it up for sale one more time but if there are no bites, I'm gonna keep it for the rest of the year. Maybe I'll finance a TW for some off road stuff since I can't afford to buy one outright.

Dougald

I really ought to adjust the suspension on mine too. The last owner was either a really fat bloke, or he thought "ahhh, hard suspension means sporty!" and set everything to max. Potholes are a painful experience

Stevey

I setup the Firebolt's suspension according to my weight with what it says in the manual, feels great.
The guy before me was slightly heavier, so it was a bit too much for me where he had it setup.
Got bored today so put this sticker on the visor.

uCQpPi4.jpg

Put the pin-lock insert in as well, which has cured the steaming up.

Put the pin-lock insert in as well, which has cured the steaming up.
Pin lock is such a simple solution to such an annoying problem. I need to reseal mine actually.

I've also started wearing my glasses under my helmet which really are a pain, with both steaming up and building pressure from the frame above my ears. Guess I should get contacts one day :-/

Dougald

Who is buying track focussed 600s any more anyway? (Clearly nobody). I hope they keep the 650F though. That's the one I would have.

Had a little tinker with my suspension and turns out I was wrong and it's still on factory settings. I now read that those are for a 170lb rider and I am a good 15lbs lighter than that, so I think I probably need it set a little softer.

mkenyon

Banned
Holy shit, David uses something for transportation that isn't a Porsche. This is a paradigm shift for my entire world view.

Jokes aside, I'm looking at getting my first bike. Never really considered it before, as I lived in Western Washington. I'm living in high desert now, so the time I could ride is pretty much every day outside of the snowy winter months.

I've signed up for a training course where I'll be using the bikes they provide. However, it's time to start considering what I'll get.

The thing that pushed me towards it was just seeing this at a local dealer:

Thoughts? General advice for a beginner bike?

Dougald

With some good training behind you I reckon an RC390 would do you grand.

There's always the good old popular American first bike of the ninja 300, or equivalent Kawasaki/Honda too. But none of those have the styling or expense of KTM. That class of bike is the sensible entry point for those who like sportbikes so go with the KTM if that's what draws you

Yeah, as far as 300s go, that KTM is a lot better equipped than most other ones in that class. Looks like a million bucks too. Seem to recall from the reviews that the only things you should swap out is the stock tires it comes on. Just a tad on the cheap side, but that is easily fixed.

Dougald

44T on the Tracer 700

1 Month update on the Ducati: it's harder to ride than the Triumph, the switchgear is still awful (seriously I think I hit the high beams every time I stop the bike) and it gets hotter than the pits of hell. But I haven't had as much fun on a bike since I had my Bonneville, and that's what it's all about. No buyers remorse here.

44T on the Tracer 700

1 Month update on the Ducati: it's harder to ride than the Triumph, the switchgear is still awful (seriously I think I hit the high beams every time I stop the bike) and it gets hotter than the pits of hell. But I haven't had as much fun on a bike since I had my Bonneville, and that's what it's all about. No buyers remorse here.

Great feedback... if the good outweighs the bad bits then you are styling.

nico1982

I hope they keep the 650F though. That's the one I would have.
The 650 is already euro 4 compliant, so it is not going anywhere. The only thing in common with the CBR600RR is the first three letters of the name, though... And maybe a few bolts here and there :p

44T on the Tracer 700

I was waiting forever for that MT-07 based Tracer. Typical. Anyway looks very competent and no doubt they'll sell a ton of them at the price. That's why 600cc supersports are almost a relic. People want more adaptability it seems, with still plenty of performance for road use.

Really need to try a monster one day. Looks super fun.

The 650 is already euro 4 compliant, so it is not going anywhere. The only thing in common with the CBR600RR is the first three letters of the name, though... And maybe a few bolts here and there :p
I test rode the 650F and really liked it. And you can get the 2015 for £49 a month! So cheap.

Watevaman

Whats the best 600 supersport bike in your opinion?

Something thats smooth and nice to live with

I don't think there are too many supersport riders in this thread, so you might not get the feedback you want. Personally I've only ever ridden the CBR but I've heard that both the CBR and GSX-R are the best in terms of "comfort" but still are by no means comfortable for long trips. The ZX-6R and R1 are more track oriented and when I sat on the 2012/13 models years back I hated the position on the R6.

I sat on my friend's Daytona 675 but that's it. In terms of riding, he didn't like the position but he's also not a sportbike guy.

If those traits are high on your list of priorities, that's maybe not the category of bike you're looking for. Though perhaps if you're looking a couple generations earlier... my Yamaha 1995 YZF750R could be described as such. Very comfortable bike. And twisting the throttle was like polishing glass with an oily rag.

Kinda depends on your interpretation of those words as well I guess. Because while it was rather comfortable, it did use oil which I had to keep an eye on (less easy to live with in that sense). And you wouldn't describe the catapult effect (with all the power being focused at the top end) as smooth.

Gandalf

Yo! First time posting in here.

Anyone go regularly to watch the British Superbikes? I recently went the weekend to Brands Hatch, and it was bloody awesome.

Dougald

No, though I was trying to get some friends together to go to the last Silverstone MotoGP race. Unfortunately as you get older it seems to be impossible to tie down anyone to anything, ever

Also, welcome! What do you ride?

Honestly? I think that's a very subjective question. I say try them all out and pick whichever you like, as long as you have dealers relatively close to you...

Stevey

Yo! First time posting in here.

Anyone go regularly to watch the British Superbikes? I recently went the weekend to Brands Hatch, and it was bloody awesome.

I've been to Cadwell a few times as I live nearish.

Going to Silverstone for the MotoGP for the second time this year

I missed Brands Hatch unfortunately. It's just a few miles down the road for me but had family stuff that weekend. Definitely get down there for some racing one day (I did race a Ferrari around there last month).

Well I like the grey so screw you guys! (in my best Cartman voice)

At least I ordered the right colour Thruxton, right? Silver ice, although I did see a matte black one the other day which looks very nice indeed, but I don't think I want another matte black bike. Hard to keep it looking nice. Should be here next month.

Speaking of which I really have to get the Harley up for sale this weekend. Finally some sun to get it washed and decent photos.

Dougald

Red is the nicest colour in pictures, but in person the silver is the best, hands down. The finish on it is just so lovely.

OraleeWey

I went to go sit on a few motorcycles at a store. Now I understand why sports bikes are referred to as "crotch rockets". I might rent a motorcycle for a few days.

I went to go sit on a few motorcycles at a store. Now I understand why sports bikes are referred to as "crotch rockets". I might rent a motorcycle for a few days.
I've never been on a full on sports bike (I mean riding). I'd love to try out the Panigale 959 one day. I'll get around to booking a test ride at some point. And playing the lottery to afford all the bikes I'd like in my garage.

I don't think there are too many supersport riders in this thread, so you might not get the feedback you want. Personally I've only ever ridden the CBR but I've heard that both the CBR and GSX-R are the best in terms of "comfort" but still are by no means comfortable for long trips. The ZX-6R and R1 are more track oriented and when I sat on the 2012/13 models years back I hated the position on the R6.

I sat on my friend's Daytona 675 but that's it. In terms of riding, he didn't like the position but he's also not a sportbike guy.

I sat on the R6 and really hated the driving position

If those traits are high on your list of priorities, that's maybe not the category of bike you're looking for. Though perhaps if you're looking a couple generations earlier... my Yamaha 1995 YZF750R could be described as such. Very comfortable bike. And twisting the throttle was like polishing glass with an oily rag.

Kinda depends on your interpretation of those words as well I guess. Because while it was rather comfortable, it did use oil which I had to keep an eye on (less easy to live with in that sense). And you wouldn't describe the catapult effect (with all the power being focused at the top end) as smooth.

Sadly such old bikes are not easily available in the market I'm looking in, my best bet is 2007+ bike models

Honestly? I think that's a very subjective question. I say try them all out and pick whichever you like, as long as you have dealers relatively close to you...

I have dealers close to me but I don't know if they allow for test rides, I'll have to ask

Dougald

You should be able to get a ride on anything brand new from a dealer as long as they have a demo...

Unless they're my local Ducati dealer but screw them

OraleeWey

I've never been on a full on sports bike (I mean riding). I'd love to try out the Panigale 959 one day. I'll get around to booking a test ride at some point. And playing the lottery to afford all the bikes I'd like in my garage.

Yeah I merely only sat on a sports bike just a few days ago. But I personally don't know anyone who would be willing to let me ride his. It was kind of intimidating tbh, I was thinking to myself "no one man should have all that power" lol. But I need to scratch that "I need to ride a sports bike" itch though.

You should be able to get a ride on anything brand new from a dealer as long as they have a demo...

Unless they're my local Ducati dealer but screw them
Well, my dealer only allows you to ride bikes which can be demoed. Also ducatis are absolutely beautiful bikes.

I sat on the R6 and really hated the driving position

Sadly such old bikes are not easily available in the market I'm looking in, my best bet is 2007+ bike models

Hmmm, if you sat on the R6 and hated it, I think the GSX-R 600 is your best bet. They have a reputation for being comfortable (for a supersport). If you don't like that either, try a naked. A category of bike you'll come around to sooner or later anyway ;).

Top Bottom