• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Idlemasters ep12

Bad ep. Poorly paced, predictable, drawn out, uninteresting dialogue and conversation. Didn't enjoy it at all. But Chihaya, you go girl! :D

Instro

/XX/ said:
Yeah! Good job, Dresden! And it surprised me a little the presence of certain banner (made by Halycon) with an image from a certain Producer from another certain THE IDOLM@STER 'dōjin'.
It also surprised me nobody mentioned it!
Everyone knows what it is, they just don't want to admit it!

Kamisama no Memo-Chou 12

Final episode was a culmination of everything that made this show good. However, I'm left wanting more. They invented some interesting characters, and it would of been nice to see them interacting more.
Glad to see Narumi act human for once, his rage at Toshi is something I can identify with easily. They weren't clear on how/why the drug inventor died, nor did they elaborate on his "experiment".
I'm not sure ending the show with this arc, instead of following the LN was the wisest decision, but it certainly left a lasting impression of the show.

Articalys said:
Overall, a decent show with some fun characters. Again I lament the lack of translated light novels in the U.S., as I would have liked to see where the story goes in the future.

I two, would like to see what happens after this. Hopefully the publicity the anime and manga are getting it will encourage translations(fan or otherwise).

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Will be watching:
Guilty Crown
Squid Girl 2

Hoping something else surpirses. Is there any idea what is being streamed yet?

duckroll

Penguin Drum ep11

Dunno what happened here, but that was a weird ep which felt pretty out of place. The continuity from ep10 wasn't handled very well, and the actual events were just kinda... odd.
The direction that the Ringo plot is heading in just confirms that the episodes just before ep9 were padding and a waste of time. That story line is really the weakest point of the series so far, it's unfortunate they're spending so much time on it. :/

Uta no Prince Sama 13
tumblr_ls1e26kA3A1qkxiabo2_250.png

Darn its, over.
Predictable ending and song choice, however the concert was fun, though I wont lie, I did think it was sad when Haruka starting crying at granmas
. Ittoki and Syo were my favorite overall throughout the anime, even if Syo got flustered too easily.

That leaves me with just Blue Exorcist as the only anime of the past season left to finish.

NewFresh

/XX/ said:
Yeah! Good job, Dresden! And it surprised me a little the presence of certain banner (made by Halycon) with an image from a certain Producer from another certain THE IDOLM@STER 'dōjin'.
It also surprised me nobody mentioned it!

You are just letting people know you recognize it ;)

Strike said:
This thread is depressing.

loving the pure negativity tbh lol

Jexhius said:
Sweet justice.

Indeed.

cosmicblizzard said:
Yeah, I'm more worried about this than the censorship, at least until the Chimera Ant arc, then the show is fucked.

The creepy factor is the main reason that character works.

I hope they don't touch him or if not they don't take away all of his creepy factor.

Plus can't wait to see the Ant's using Super Soakers :p

duckroll said:
Penguin Drum ep11
The direction that the Ringo plot is heading in just confirms that the episodes just before ep9 were padding and a waste of time. That story line is really the weakest point of the series so far, it's unfortunate they're spending so much time on it. :/

I wouldn't say that right now, but depending on where the show goes from here, I may later on.

Tizoc

Wait wait wait, HxH is gonna be a 'remake'?
I thought they were gonna continue from where they left off?
Oh well this could benefit from less dragging since IIRC, the first anime was slow during it's first 20 eps.
If anything, they may be able to reach the Greed Island arc by the end of the year/start of next year?

/XX/

Jexhius said:
I think it's interesting that they went from, what some have argued, was not enough progression all the way around to rushing scenes. Which is something I mentioned here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=250 , although it was probably lost at the bottom of the page.
I didn't see that post (and I even quoted one you made after, I'll blame you guys for posting so many in so little time) but now that I see it I agree completely.
Let see how future episodes are presented, but nonetheless I think it was something punctual of this episode alone, maybe to dispose rapidly of the Ringo and Tabuki matters for the moment and make the spectator more centered in the future revelations and possible connections between Ringo and Kanba, Shōma & Himari...

Instro said:
Everyone knows what it is, they just don't want to admit it!
Hey, people! Remember those questions and subsequent conversations about the avatars tiff and Lain sometimes show up with? Good times!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Tears For Fears said:
This Last Exile news has been killing me KILLING ME. Goddamn, fucking shoujo ai wants to make me slit my fucking wrist.

It's Gonzo, they haven't made a great show in 5 years.

I just hope this isn't a trend and they decide to ruin Kaleido Star :(

/XX/

EmmanuelMunoz said:
You are just letting people know you recognize it ;)
I'm not going to lie, you know... I'm interested in its art expressiveness and subtle social commentary, that 'dōjin' is a form of art in itself, something to think about... something... beautiful!

Dresden

/XX/ said:
I'm not going to lie, you know... I'm interested in its art expressiveness and subtle social commentary, that 'dōjin' is a form of art in itself, something to think about... something... beautiful!
It was beautiful.

uBG8m.jpg

Tizoc said:
Wait wait wait, HxH is gonna be a 'remake'?
I thought they were gonna continue from where they left off?
Oh well this could benefit from less dragging since IIRC, the first anime was slow during it's first 20 eps.
If anything, they may be able to reach the Greed Island arc by the end of the year/start of next year?

With Togashi's track record, they might want to try to stretch it out a bit. If the guy goes on hiatus even once, the show will be in danger.

Jex

duckroll said:
Penguin Drum ep11

Dunno what happened here, but that was a weird ep which felt pretty out of place. The continuity from ep10 wasn't handled very well, and the actual events were just kinda... odd.
It didn't help that the director/storyboarder wasn't that great, even if the Penguins were awesome.

Tizoc

cosmicblizzard said:
With Togashi's track record, they might want to try to stretch it out a bit. If the guy goes on hiatus even once, the show will be in danger.
Hmm I see what you mean, at least it'll let those that missed out on it get to experience it with hopefully a faster paced progression.
I only hope the action is good.
Wonder if they'll change Hisoka's voice, lol.
Fun fact: In the Arabic dub of HxH, Hisoka's voice was muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch more badass and menacing, he was given a cold voice.

Erigu

[Mawaru-Penguindrum]
Jexhius said:
It didn't help that the director/storyboarder wasn't that great, even if the Penguins were awesome.
Three different storyboarders on one episode...

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Actually, the scene with
the farting penguin
was the first time I felt the penguin antics detracted from the quality of the scene.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The penguin antics work because they correlate with what's happening with the main cast. They are a bit like the Shadow Girls from Utena. That's why that scene in episode 11 feels tacky.

Jex

Branduil said:
Actually, the scene with
the farting penguin
was the first time I felt the penguin antics detracted from the quality of the scene.
Penguin antics are usually finely tuned to amuse the audience with something crazy in the background, or even the foreground, and not actually interject too heavily over the actual characters.

I don't know why they decided to break away from that format, because it didn't work.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Regulus Tera said:
The penguin antics work because they correlate with what's happening with the main cast. They are a bit like the Shadow Girls from Utena. That's why that scene in episode 11 feels tacky.

How do you know he wasn't
farting
?

Branduil

Regulus Tera said:
Jexhius said:
Penguin antics are usually finely tuned to amuse the audience with something crazy in the background, or even the foreground, and not actually interject too heavily over the actual characters.

I don't know why they decided to break away from that format, because it didn't work.
Yeah, I mean,
Shouma telling Ringo that she was Ringo and not anyone else was an important character moment and penguin farting just deflated the emotions of that moment. It should have been more moving than it ended up being.

iavi

Branduil said:
Well, that was a thing. I'm not sure I'd call it good. Someone needs to tone down the strobe light effects. Also, the spoiler is that
it's paid anti-smoking propaganda.

Lol, super easy to spoil isn't it? Though, I did feel as if the theme dealt with more than being
anti-smoking
alone. It seemed to cover the larger aspects of
influence in general--the sense of being explicit/cool etc... etc...
--and I'd say it was done well, given the amount of time they had to coherently convey the message. I'd say that it was good myself.

Besides, that OST. Danger <3

Jex

Branduil said:
Yeah, I mean,
Shouma telling Ringo that she was Ringo and not anyone else was an important character moment and penguin farting just deflated the emotions of that moment. It should have been more moving than it ended up being.
Which, ultimately, is a big problem for a lot of people. If the audience isn't emotionally invested in the characters then they won't care about their fates and they'll feel detached from the work as a whole, like an Oshii movie.

Branduil

Miri said:
Lol, super easy to spoil isn't it? Though, I did feel as if the theme dealt with more than being
anti-smoking
alone. It seemed to cover the larger aspects of
influence in general--the sense of being explicit/cool etc... etc...
--and I'd say it was done well, given the amount of time they had to coherently convey the message. I'd say that it was good myself.
Well, one big problem was that the "gameplay" sucked and was completely unnecessary. The other was the annoying strobing effect literally hurting my eyes.

And I don't care much for
unnuanced propaganda.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
darkside31337 said:
More like Shoma is
full of shit. They couldn't just have the Penguin drop a load on TV.
Shouma is being sincere though. D: Too much cynicism here.

EDIT: Also they could have shown this:

uijzn.jpg

/XX/

Branduil said:
Actually, the scene with
the farting penguin
Yeah! You see Ringo's still expression, when she probably thinks those moments with Sh&#333;ma and their antics were like a forced excuse, and then that dramatic instance is interfered by farting sounds and all that, I really think it lessened the impact it gives, for sure.

Dresden said:
It was beautiful.
It even shows the importance of the good-old traditional methods, used through generations, to nurture healthy home grown vegetables. This 'd&#333;jin' really has it all!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Regulus Tera said:
Aunts should be like the MILF in Denpa Onna, not lolis.

The aunt in Ro Kyu Bu is only about 7 years older than Subaru though. She's not going to be a 40 year old MILF. She is more older sister than aunt.

/XX/ said:
Yeah! You see Ringo's still expression, when she probably thinks those moments with Sh&#333;ma and their antics were like a forced excuse, and then that dramatic instance is interfered by farting sounds and all that, I really think it lessened the impact it gives, for sure.

It even shows the importance of the good-old traditional methods, used through generations, to nurture healthy home grown vegetables. This 'd&#333;jin' really has it all!

I so guess i was on the money then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom