• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished watching the Berserk anime... didn't want to create a new thread for this simple question: Any other similar anime shows (not movies) out there?

cajunator

Banned
Articalys said:

Also I finally started playing Persona 4 last night in preparation for the anime, and promptly got swamped by the game's complexity, though I guess that's a discussion for the OT over in gaming.
Kyouko and Kuroneko are gonna style all over everyone.

Oooh they shipped my Elsea figurine! Too bad I have to wait until Sunday to go pick it up.
544656.jpg

Thoraxes

Unknown Soldier said:
That was just a friendly reminder that there is one! I could have had Louise remind you guys instead, you know.
I prefer Shana as my Kugiloli of choice.
OK, next week I will mosey on over there. :)

Articalys said:
http://i.imgur.com/ev6U6l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OTaRql.jpg

That's cool, Kokoro won? :)

Dresden said:
world of horizon is just japan split up with all the black people sent to the corner:

XyE8Pl.jpg
So where is the thirty years war going on in that picture, exactly?

This series makes no sense...

Novid said:
wtf....

how does a dude write that

mind blown...
You don't read books, do you?

Geneijin said:
Because it was asked, Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon Episode 1 Summary (blame ABF):
The discussion that led to this information nearly took out me, Envelope, and Duckroll, so appreciate it!

At the beginning of the episode, we're shown the land undergoing some kind of transformation. This may be what is later suggested by the conversation between the two teachers, Musashi and Sakai, the apocalypse.
Yeah, it's the moment when their retelling of history went wrong and the flying cities were shot down out of the sky.
After the opening, we see a girl singing at a grave with the name Horizon inscribed on this gravestone. Later, throughout the episode, it's implied or suggested this girl is the sister of Horizon. Probably Horizon's imouto. The next scene transitions to our main character, Tori Aoi, who offhandedly remarks something needs to be put at an end.

And this character is important because the following exposition which is setup between the instructor and Toussaint (the boy with the glasses) setups Tori's background. That he's the representative/Chancellor of this flying city/ship, and reps are usually chosen by "them," which isn't made known yet who they are exactly although it could be assumed it's some higher authority or power (Testament Union), that they usually pick incompetent fools/puppets basically, so they can easily manipulate these incompetent reps, including Tori Aoi, our main character. It also provides us with some context and even motivation for this character, Tori. Our main character was once incapable seemingly. Is he still now? That remains the question onto the next episode.
He's the MC of an action series, so I'm sure he will not remain entirely incapable...

One important thing to note is that the "Far East Musashi" is basically a landless property/flying estate/flying ship - the ship Tori and his ragtag team of classmates/friends are on - because the Earth only has a few remaining pieces of land where people can still inhabit. These remaining plots of land, which has its own separate states/countries and practically the size of Japan, more or less, as indicated in the picture Dresden links to are called the "Divine States." Here's the catch: all territories - the Divine States - use to belong to Far East Musashi, but they're basically enslaved for reasons I'll detail later. Think of Far East Musashi as Britannia basically. The age limit requirement is an example of their enslavement and imprisonment. They were formerly a super power country or something equivalent with many territories.
Yeah, but now, since the disaster in the beginning I assume, they have been controlled by the land people, and they're not too thrilled with that obviously.

Before the training exercise (tag) begins, there's another important thing you should remember. The instructor specifically says after looking and passing Horizon's gravestone that Horizon marks the start of their journey. They being the class we saw earlier. It also could imply they were friends with Horizon before.
I would assume so, though given their ages most of them can't have been too old when she died...

Anyway, near the end, Tori shows up and proclaims he'll finally have a confession. And while it's unknown what a confession was initially, when he states it's a confession to Horizon, who Tori's sister Bel Fiore says died 10 years ago, we can safely assume they're implying this is a love confession. Also, the name Horizon has meaning because of the gravestone shown earlier in the episode. We also learn something important about Tori: he never confessed to Horizon and plans to do so before he challenges the world. Tori might be suggesting he's planning to lead a revolt with Far East Musashi.
Tori's sister's actual name is apparently Kimi Aoi; she just prefers to use fake names that make her sound more like the ojousama that she wants to be (more like the other couple of ojousama characters in the show, that is).

But yeah, I guess you're right, confession probably means him saying he loves Horizon to her grave... what I'm not sure about though is the ties between him confessing to her and the greater events that have been foreshadowed, including the whole apocalypse thing, and possible resistance against the ground people perhaps (not sure about that). We'll have to see I guess.

Now here's where most of the confusion is: the exposition in the ending credits. From what I can interpret, they're trying to rewrite history because they want to prevent the collapse of their former continent/country. As the ending credits state, the people use to be able to rise to the heavens and had formed cities in the sky basically. However, a war up there caused the sky continent (for simplicity's sake) to collapse, and they were forced to return to the Earth and live on the ground instead of the skies. The problem was most of the land was inhabitable and what later became known as the "Divine States" was the only land left habitable. So in an attempt to fix this - to prevent the destruction, the apocalypse, of the sky continent, they set forth to rewrite/relive history by creating a magic book, the Testament, where they can literally replace the bad future with this newly created one within the book where the sky continent never collapsed and prevent it from happening. It's sort of like a mechanic of time travel basically.
The word you're looking for is UNinhabitable, not inhabitable, right? Some translation uses that word too, but it must be quite completely wrong. I mean, that map alone shows that "the rest of the world is uninhabitable" is the whole idea, I think.

Other than that, they can't actually change the past, they're just trying to redo things so that there is a future where things don't again happen like they did before... but why they think that the best way to do this is to start a redo of history from many thousands of years earlier neither I nor anyone else here has any idea, unless someone has read the novels and can tell us if they explain it any better that is.

I mean, that idea is just bizarre...

However, they failed once already. Hence, why Far East Musashi is now enslaved because the countries took over the undefended lands Far East Musashi temporarily abandoned to rewrite history.
I thought that it was that the land people, redoing history, took over the sky people after the disaster and war shown in the beginning. After that war they tried restarting their history reenactment again, but this time with the ground people in control? I'm not sure, it's unclear.

Articalys

Sket Dance 27

Love the new Gackt OP song, and yeah, that new ending sequence is some straight-up trolling.

Looks like for next time they're reaching pretty far ahead in the manga, though I guess they need to since they've used up most of the early one-off comedy stories already.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Persona 4 / Bow down to the Goddess Chie 01:

Surprisingly pretty good. It stays true to the game both in terms of visuals and content. It was surprisingly well done, and my goddess Chie was the star of this episode. No real complaints, only minor gripe is the use of the soundtrack was really poor in this episode.

Kugimiya not sounding like a Kugiloli is going to throw a lot of people off. So refreshing though.

Only gripe is I didn't get
Everyday's great at your Junes!
and got
Everyday's young life, Junes
. Bummer.

Cwarrior

Planetes 6

lol those crazy ass weeboos

Planetes 7

The moon beach scene was really beautiful.

Now why can't we have more anime's that take place in space that are good and not just brolust in space with boring stationary fleets shooting lasers at each other(
and no cowboy bepop rare takes place in space

Planetes 8

Fee is boss milf

In the year 2075 Nintendo will bring about a revolutionary in handled gaming by bring out the "link cable".

Planetes 9

Tanabe's firey shounen haato is strong

Am loving this anime, quickly ranking up there in my top 10 animes

Enron

Banned
/XX/ said:
For those who don't know, the new opening song for the show is supposedly the other original song (boys, come back to me) included in the recently released Audio CD single from Etsuko Yakushimaru (やくしまる えつこ) or Tika・α (ティカ・α). This Audio CD single is called nornir/boys, come back to me (ノルニル/少年よ我に帰れ). Here is a link to this later one:

少年よ我に帰れ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0-J4LgDfok

This is thoroughly excellent.

trejo

Sket Dance 27

A funny episode overall and yeah, as I thought, it feels a little weird looking at Switch now but I'm sure that'll go away eventually.

Man, that new ED is something else alright. Dat Yabas.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Watching this show won't make you many friends 01: I had no idea what I was getting into other than a show that was clearly a harem show that has a very high budget. This will probably end up being the Mayo Chiki of this season.

Which is why it's kind of unfortunate that this is basically a Haruhi clone with the harem/fanservice turned up by a factor of 100 if the OP animation is anything to go by.

Boy loner Kodaka apparently can't make friends because his blond hair makes everyone think he's a Yankee and avoid him at mere sight. Long-haired beauty Yozora pushes everyone away and talks to her imaginary air friend when she's alone. After he catches her in the act, they talk about their respective loser qualities and lack of friends and Yozora decides to make a club to make friends and ropes Kodaka into helping her do so. So we've got the Kyon and Haruhi setup, and the show ends with Sena, the Mikuru of this show, joining the club because despite her massive boobs she has no "friends" either, just men who want to fuck her silly.

Well I'll give her that she's not completely brainless and understands they're not her friends. The two girls, naturally, do not get off to a good start and will undoubtedly begin to fight for Kodaka's affections later in the show. There seems to be a church on campus or something though, I wonder how that's going to play itself into the narrative. Or just be decoration or something.

Will continue to watch because I'm a sucker for pretty animation and artwork, even if their faces look really squashed.

Persona 4

These Japanese VA are really bumming me out. Teddie and Mr. Morooka in particular. Otherwise it followed the game pretty faithfully. Also its not Legend of the Seiryuu. Its TRIAL OF THE DRAAAAGOOOOON! >:|

Dresden

Chiesona 4 is... well, I realized about halfway through the chiepisode that I'd chienjoy it no matter what. My chiexpecations were chiettatterd. I love Chiesona 4, got chiells when the songs started playing, chiet cetera, etc.

Loved it. Dat Chie. This could be a Chie Train show and I'd still enjoy it. It's more fucking Chiesona.

Branduil

Dresden said:
Chiesona 4 is... well, I realized about halfway through the chiepisode that I'd chienjoy it no matter what. My chiexpecations were chiettatterd. I love Chiesona 4, got chiells when the songs started playing, chiet cetera, etc.

Loved it. Dat Chie. This could be a Chie Train show and I'd still enjoy it. It's more fucking Chiesona.
When I ask you this don't be shore, leave the puns to the profishonals, please.

Articalys

A question about the Persona 4 anime: opening sequences are known to sometimes be spoileriffic, so how bad is this one? Should I avert my eyes and skip over it until I'm further into the game?

Articalys said:
A question about the Persona 4 anime: opening sequences are known to sometimes be spoileriffic, so how bad is this one? Should I avert my eyes and skip over it until I'm further into the game?
There wasn't an OP in the first episode. Well not the traditional one. That might change in the second episode.

Instro

Mashiro 1
Harem show! The music was certainly the highlight of the show, some surprisingly nice pieces in there. Manglobe doing decent job of it for what its worth, I would probably watch this over boku wa tomodachi or w.e.

Dresden

Branduil said:
When I ask you this don't be shore, leave the puns to the profishonals, please.
I'll chiemember it.

To (chie)laborate a little... a lot of the elements from the game just feel shoehorned into the show. It's not a very inspired take on the game; it's a scene-for-scene adaptation with lackluster art and overall just isn't that good. Not awful, either, though. I think I'll love it no matter what. I'm a bigger fanboy than I thought.

jman2050

Persona 4

Haven't played the game but just from my own expectations from my familiarity with the third game, so far so good.

The protagonist is the worst kind of cardboard cutout though. I mean yeah I guess that's faithful to the silent protag nature of the games but that doesn't quite work so well in an anime.

jman2050 said:
Persona 4

Haven't played the game but just from my own expectations from my familiarity with the third game, so far so good.

The protagonist is the worst kind of cardboard cutout though. I mean yeah I guess that's faithful to the silent protag nature of the games but that doesn't quite work so well in an anime.
Charlie will win an award for blandest male protagonist ever.

jman2050 said:
Persona 4

from my experience from 3 it seems everything he says is from the choices you can make and thy are going with the "decent guy" one.

Hellsing321 said:
Charlie will win an award for blandest male protagonist ever.

Won't stop him from pimping though (unless they make him have one girlfriend during this run lol)

Instro

jman2050 said:
Persona 4

As I posted in the persona thread, it was ok, but I'm not very enthusiastic about the show. There were a number of elements I just didn't like at all.

Looks like the Gray Wednesday song is the new ED for Penguindrum. Cool new video to go with it, but I personally prefer the old one. Still no new OP. :(

jman2050 said:
Persona 4

Why? Chie had enough screentime and we know she is the true main protagonist.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
MariMite Live Action: Yeah, it's as cheap as zero said it would be. They used all natural lighting for the entire film... and I guess Japan is cloudy as shit, because most of the movie seems to take place in the dark.

I suppose it was fun to see live action versions of the MariMite characters, although without the heightened reality of anime voice acting, everything seemed a lot more amateurish than it should have been. But, there's not much else to say... it's a close adaptation of the first arc of the anime/first book, and is more functional than anything else. Anime Yumi > Live Action Yumi by a long shot though.

I will say, it is funny to watch boob-grabbing/yuri trolling in 3D, since it makes absolutely no sense in real life:
C2I4Al.jpg

9GmbSl.jpg

I'm glad I was finally able to knock this out one though. Still hoping for a final season of the animu. :(

I didn't catch this a few days ago.

While I would have hoped for a higher budget thing, that's not really possible. I will say, though, that if you look past all the terible production values its still Marimite at its core and its still a fun story.

I want a new season too :(

jman2050

Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai 1

Massive improvement from the disastrous preview episode and there were actually some decently funny parts. Still not very good overall, but there is hope. What the hell, I'll try it again next week.

The music is very bad though.

Thoraxes

Boku wa Tomodachi 01
Meat Eaters assemble!

Also there's going to be blood spilled in a Kugiloli war one day.
I can feel it in my loins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom