• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon 01 - Um... yeah. This show has two sides to it. FIrst, there is the backstory and world. This side of the show is extremely complicated and confusing and makes little sense. The anime just tosses you into the middle of it with a minimum of introduction -- the characters all know eachother already, and the episode is action-focused so until the end you're just following the action, basically. On that note, however, unlike the plot, the characters themselves all seem to be fairly simple stereotypes, easy to typecast. There definitely seems to be a contrast here between the complexity of the characters and that of the world and story.

Oh, the art and animation are okay, but nothing great. The art design is somewhat average, nothing bad but noting great either. The action is done well, however, of course, as you'd expect from Sunrise.

As for the episode, ignoring the difficult to comprehend backstory explanation thing during the end credits, as I said the characters were pretty easy to understand, none seem very complex. There's the ojousama-type with giant, larger-than-her-torso drill hair, the other ojousama type with as-big-as-her-head breasts, a naked pink incubus, a slime, a ninja guy, some guy in armor (or a robot? I don't know), a shy girl, their female teacher (she's a good fighter and dislikes perversion, of course), etc. As I said, predictable stuff. It's all entertaining enough, because you barely even have to know the characters to start to understand them, but it's certainly nothing deep, yet at least. In this episode, the students are all trying to catch and stop the teacher, as a challenge.
They all fail.

However, through most of this episode, one character is conspicuously absent -- the main character, that guy smiling smugly in the center of the promo artwork. He finally deigns to show up late in the episode. And he does not fail to disappoint... based on that artwork I was expecting him to be an irritating, smug jerk, and he pretty much is. He's otaku too -- he wasn't at (combat) class because he was away buying a newly released H-game, and he takes out the box and shows them all to prove it. Then he
wins the contest by, after showing off the H-game, touching her breasts in the surprised silence that follows his little speech. Clever, guy, if that was an intentional plot... otherwise, lucky. Either way, she then does the expected and punches him through a nearby building.

So yeah, the MC is kind of odd. On the one hand, he's an unlikable, smug jerk. He's otaku too, and the MC in a show that clearly wants to appeal to harem-show watchers, based on its female character designs, even if it's not clear if it actually is one (it may not be). But on the other hand, he is actually competent at something, so he's not a complete loser -- he's the president of the class or something, and is good at fighting apparently, even if we don't see it in this episode. Or I think he is anyway. Oh, and did I mention his creepy, annoying smile? Yeah, I'm not so sure if this guy is exactly likable... but on the other hand he did some nicer things, so we'll have to see. Maybe he'll be both.

So yeah, it was entertaining and okay, but certainly nothing great or exciting. I'll watch.

However, though, that doesn't address the confusing part, the plot... but yeah, I think I'll wait on that one and hope that it explains itself better. This episode just doesn't make enough sense.
It seems to be the future, and humanity is mostly wiped out because of wars or something. Okay. They live in floating cities, or at least these people do; maybe others live on ground somewhere, though I'm not sure if that is actually on earth, I think they're all in the sky (maybe). At the end, the MC says he is going to go into "Confession", whatever that is (it isn't explained), and say that he likes some girl who died ten years ago, apparently, named Horizon. Given that her name is in the title, I wonder how dead she is...

Then, there was something about history being wiped out or something, and them re-writing history by starting new wars, or something like that. I'm not quite sure why they feel the need to fight wars in order to write their new history, or why they're doing that in the first place.
It's not exactly explained well to say the least. Oh well, though, the show is entertaining without it, or at least the first episode is. I do hope that in the future the show manages a bit better job of actually explaining itself, though. We'll see.

Geneijin said:
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon - 1

Some awkward dialogue and unneeded lengthy expositions. Besides those obvious problems, this will be a fun show if the exposition doesn't detract too much from the overall pacing. The cast is colorful and shows promise, and the action could be wild. This series has potential.

So what happened in this episode?
Is Tori going to be leading some sort of rebellion? Wait, is the girl in the beginning Horizon's imouto and the Horizon Tori is confessing to her older sister who's dead? And wait, what's this about a looming apocalypse? What, there's going to be a territory war and they're going to reenact/relive the "Warring States" war? Fucking time travel. WHAT. They're rewriting history to fix the problems of the future. What is this magic that allows it? So technically, this is post-apocalypse :LOL

Fucking Sunrise.
Uhm... yeah, as for those spoilers, that might be what's going on, but I really don't know either, the show was incredibly confusing. Does this really start in the middle of a random volume partway through the series? Does anyone know for sure? If it does I wouldn't be too surprised though, it's an in medias res opening for sure and makes absolutely no sense. The part that made the least sense of all is the ending credits part, which was nearly complete gibberish really, with how it throws around what seem to be made up words without ever defining what they mean, and then expects that you can somehow understand what it's saying anyway.

Um, I think you'd need to read the novels to make any sense out of this series at all...

Geneijin

More random Horizon speculation/comprehension:

So everyone knows of Horizon huh? That would explain why the instructor remarked Horizon's death would mark the beginning of their journey. Makes me wonder what kind of character Tori is. We all know he was chosen as a puppet/incapable brat, and it seems like Tori has a reason, which might be related to Horizon's death, to conquer the world/Divine States. The Far East state has been repressed and it seems that Tori and his ragtag group of friends - with the aid of the teachers perhaps - will seek to conquer the world. Although this raises a weird question that we know Sunrise probably won't answer: is Tori trying to rewrite history according to his will and against Testament's will/rule? The mechs also seem to be related to the government or whatever they're trying to overthrow, yet we all know based on the PVs someone will control a mecha. Can't wait really.

Geneijin

A Black Falcon said:
Then he
wins the contest by, after showing off the H-game, touching her breasts in the surprised silence that follows his little speech. Clever, guy, if that was an intentional plot... otherwise, lucky. Either way, she then does the expected and punches him through a nearby building.
Actually, he doesn't.
That was the joke they setup from the beginning about bonus points.

But on the other hand, he is actually competent at something, so he's not a complete loser -- he's the president of the class or something, and is good at fighting apparently, even if we don't see it in this episode.
Actually, that's questionable. His background was told at the beginning of class that he was chosen as representative because he was incompetent, someone they could easily manipulate. How much he's grown now, however, is the bigger question which we'll see later.

However, though, that doesn't address the confusing part, the plot... but yeah, I think I'll wait on that one and hope that it explains itself better.
This episode just doesn't make enough sense. It seems to be the future, and humanity is mostly wiped out because of wars or something. Okay. They live in floating cities, or at least these people do; maybe others live on ground somewhere, though I'm not sure if that is actually on earth, I think they're all in the sky (maybe).
From what I interpreted,
they are from the future in the past trying to rewrite history. It isn't that humanity is mostly wiped out, it's that the planet/Earth is mostly uninhabitable except the "Divine States," which are basically the last remaining, livable plots of land left.

At the end, the MC says he is going to go into "Confession", whatever that is (it isn't explained), and say that he likes some girl who died ten years ago, apparently, named Horizon. Given that her name is in the title, I wonder how dead she is...
One explanation could be that the girl who's singing at the beginning of the episode after the OP is her sister. Probably younger. And that the confession the MC/Tori is giving is an actual confession of love he'll be giving at her older sister's grave because he never could then.

Then, there was something about history being wiped out or something, and them re-writing history by starting new wars, or something like that. I'm not quite sure why they feel the need to fight wars in order to write their new history, or why they're doing that in the first place.
I believe it's not about history being wiped out. It's them having already failed once to rewrite history. This is their 2nd attempt now to fix their mistakes. The wars are basically because Far East lost their territory while they were gone rewriting history and failing, so they're attempted to reclaim their lost land, hence, the wars I think.

Um, I think you'd need to read the novels to make any sense out of this series at all...
Maybe. It's like piecing together bad scraps of paper to make sense of it.

Dresden

world of horizon is just japan split up with all the black people sent to the corner:

XyE8Pl.jpg

duckroll

There's a rumor going around that our good friend Yamakan worked on the OP for Shana III!

Oh and it's been confirmed that Fate/Zero is being broken into two seasons. The first half ends in December, and the second half doesn't start until April. >_<

trejo

Hopefully that'll give them enough time to properly animate all those people walking in circles around each other.

mAcOdIn

That Horizon show was the worst thing I've seen in months.

First thing that pissed me off was calling that area they were fighting in the "industrial area," I didn't see any fucking industry around! Maybe that's just the Anime Network.

Second, is for a show whose story must be retarded beyond all fuck it would live and die based on its characters, of which there are a shit ton but amongst so much variety there wasn't a single inspired character design to be found. They just all look laughably bad, it's so painful to even look at.

The female teacher makes little sense, so that arch demon guy from Doom kicked her out of her apartment and she left but then comes back later to beat them up? Ok? Why not beat them up when they came to evict you? She's either moral enough to where at the time she felt she had done something that deserved being kicked out which would exclude her from fighting or is immoral enough to where she'd fight over it or thought they were in the wrong completely and she'd have fought them then, it makes no sense she'd get kicked out, stew for a week and then come and fight them all, especially as they've depicted her character type. This writer sucks.

So speaking of the writing, my third gripe is the dialog, it's all terrible. It's not the amazingly bad terrible writing like Glass Fleet either, it's just bad bad. You're supposed to get a feel that these guys all know each other and are palling it around while fighting competently but I hope their lame dialog was because they were focused on fighting and there just wasn't any brain capacity left over for higher speech because they are all idiots.

Which brings me to the fighting, which was laughable. The teacher seemed competent but that makes everything too weird as she was so much faster than everyone else that how would some of them have caught up in the first place? But since it was anime everyone somehow caught up to get a moment in, even if it was to show they sucked, but how? I assume the show was trying to make them all look competent fighters but then it doesn't make any sense!

Doucheface's appearance was as dreadful as I imagined, at this point I can only assume the people who drew these designs view this show as a parody and want to make it as obvious as possible because it's painful to imagine them trying to make this guy any kind of hero-type character, which they're sure to attempt. Also, somehow the female teacher has almost the exact same face as him just with longer hair! Really, look again!

The story as they attempted to explain it is so stupid I don't even know where to start.

Everything about this show was terrible! Terrible.

Morris

Disco Devil
Utena 33

Oh, a recap episode, at least I get to see waifu Kozue and blue haired ikuhara again, wait WAT...

GOD DAMN.

Aad

Jexhius said:
You're asking for anime that's similar to Bartender in focus? Because that's not very easy.

If you're asking for anime that's just "unique" that's a bit easier.

Which one is it?
The latter.

Steroyd

cajunator said:
It's fun. At least the first season is.

Yeah, second season had no idea what the hell it was trying to do.

Sket Dance - 27

There must be some form of apocolypse that's coming, because Chuu-san was deep. O_O

And everytime they initiate fanservice in the OP or ED, gets automatically negated by Yabas.

Defuser

Branduil said:
Trying to figure out how the plot in Horizon works seems like seems like trying to draw a square circle, to me.
Look at this man. With that thick size,theres bound to be confusion.

HqOXsl.jpg

Left is Index while the right is Horizon.

mAcOdIn

Defuser said:
Look at this man. With that thick size,theres bound to be confusion.

HqOXsl.jpg

Left is Index while the right is Horizon.
Hopefully the author just spends all his time describing every feature of McDoucheyFace's face like Chaucer would have, surely the actual stories can't be that long.

Steroyd

Mashiro-iro Sympthony - 01

I'm not even going to fucking bother.

Keywords:

Harem
All Girls School
Male test students
It's shit.

Oh and some ABF branded incest.

Geneijin

Because it was asked, Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon Episode 1 Summary (blame ABF):

At the beginning of the episode, we're shown the land undergoing some kind of transformation. This may be what is later suggested by the conversation between the two teachers, Musashi and Sakai, the apocalypse. After the opening, we see a girl singing at a grave with the name Horizon inscribed on this gravestone. Later, throughout the episode, it's implied or suggested this girl is the sister of Horizon. Probably Horizon's imouto. The next scene transitions to our main character, Tori Aoi, who offhandedly remarks something needs to be put at an end.

And this character is important because the following exposition which is setup between the instructor and Toussaint (the boy with the glasses) setups Tori's background. That he's the representative/Chancellor of this flying city/ship, and reps are usually chosen by "them," which isn't made known yet who they are exactly although it could be assumed it's some higher authority or power (Testament Union), that they usually pick incompetent fools/puppets basically, so they can easily manipulate these incompetent reps, including Tori Aoi, our main character. It also provides us with some context and even motivation for this character, Tori. Our main character was once incapable seemingly. Is he still now? That remains the question onto the next episode.

One important thing to note is that the "Far East Musashi" is basically a landless property/flying estate/flying ship - the ship Tori and his ragtag team of classmates/friends are on - because the Earth only has a few remaining pieces of land where people can still inhabit. These remaining plots of land, which has its own separate states/countries and practically the size of Japan, more or less, as indicated in the picture Dresden links to are called the "Divine States." Here's the catch: all territories - the Divine States - use to belong to Far East Musashi, but they're basically enslaved for reasons I'll detail later. Think of Far East Musashi as Britannia basically. The age limit requirement is an example of their enslavement and imprisonment. They were formerly a super power country or something equivalent with many territories.

Before the training exercise (tag) begins, there's another important thing you should remember. The instructor specifically says after looking and passing Horizon's gravestone that Horizon marks the start of their journey. They being the class we saw earlier. It also could imply they were friends with Horizon before.

Anyway, near the end, Tori shows up and proclaims he'll finally have a confession. And while it's unknown what a confession was initially, when he states it's a confession to Horizon, who Tori's sister Bel Fiore says died 10 years ago, we can safely assume they're implying this is a love confession. Also, the name Horizon has meaning because of the gravestone shown earlier in the episode. We also learn something important about Tori: he never confessed to Horizon and plans to do so before he challenges the world. Tori might be suggesting he's planning to lead a revolt with Far East Musashi.

Now here's where most of the confusion is: the exposition in the ending credits. From what I can interpret, they're trying to rewrite history because they want to prevent the collapse of their former continent/country. As the ending credits state, the people use to be able to rise to the heavens and had formed cities in the sky basically. However, a war up there caused the sky continent (for simplicity's sake) to collapse, and they were forced to return to the Earth and live on the ground instead of the skies. The problem was most of the land was inhabitable and what later became known as the "Divine States" was the only land left habitable. So in an attempt to fix this - to prevent the destruction, the apocalypse, of the sky continent, they set forth to rewrite/relive history by creating a magic book, the Testament, where they can literally replace the bad future with this newly created one within the book where the sky continent never collapsed and prevent it from happening. It's sort of like a mechanic of time travel basically.

However, they failed once already. Hence, why Far East Musashi is now enslaved because the countries took over the undefended lands Far East Musashi temporarily abandoned to rewrite history.

Defuser

PdotMichael said:
10bit is witchcraft or?

the files are smaller and the picture quality is better, that's totally mind blowing super future stuff!
I'm getting big bad discolored pixels. It's witchcraft alright...BURN.

Jintor

If you leave anything from penguindrums outside spoiler tags I can't legally be held responsible for what I will do to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom